Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
RIP Exodus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Could someone spell out the current best BLM opener for me? (the one that requires a Dunesfolk, a Scholar, or piety food)

I've tried googling around and I get about 20 different openers

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

The Tantalus jeans are the best thing

Hamsterlady posted:

Could someone spell out the current best BLM opener for me? (the one that requires a Dunesfolk, a Scholar, or piety food)

It's Sharpcast+Quelling Strikes before pull -> Fire 1 -> Leylines+Enochian -> Firestarter Fire 3 -> Raging Strikes -> 3x Fire 4 -> Fire 1 -> Fire 4 -> Convert -> 2x Fire 4 -> Blizzard 3 (Thunder 1 if you have time) -> Blizzard 4 -> regular rotation

Veks fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 9, 2016

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Hamsterlady posted:

Quelling -> Sharpcast -> Ley -> F1 -> Raging -> Enochian -> F3 -> Potion -> F4 -> F4 -> F4 -> F1 -> Swiftcast -> F4 -> Convert -> F4 -> F4 -> F3 proc if you got it -> B3 -> T1 -> B4.

If you don't have the piety you won't be able to cast anything after B3 until the mana tick.

vOv fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 9, 2016

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Huh, that's one way. I've been doing this:

Sharpcast -> Fire 3 -> Leylines+Raging -> Fire -> Enochian -> 3*Fire 4 -> Firestarter Fire 3 -> Convert during the GCD -> 3*Fire 4 -> Blizzard 3 -> T1 -> B4. Might have to wait a tick after Blizzard 3.

This works fine on a Hellsguard with no extra Piety outside of party bonus, which you'll have with either a Scholar or an Astrologian in the group. If there's no Piety at all, then I'm 21 MP short, but Transpose or a pineapple juice gets it back in working order. Or I guess I could stick a Piety materia in something, I've got space.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So I just ran into the most precious Bard. I was playing WHM and running a lev 50 dungeon to try get some TT cards I haven't gotten yet. I almost ran out of MP during second boss fight even after shrouding because I'm healing and DPS'ing like crazy (casting holy when mobs come up during second boss in Ampador Keep HM). Bard never does mana song. I pop a shroud late in and manage to get MP back up to okay levels but ask for a song to get topped up after fight was done and as we're about to pull into another. His response?

"I don't MP regen during fights. Especially not when your casting holy on mobs. I do more damage than you"

I thusly called him a poo poo bard and he called me a poo poo WHM in return (we never wiped). It baffles my mind that this bard thinks that if I just sat and was an "honest healer" that we would clear as fast as we did because his DPS makes up for me not doing anything at all. He never put up foes either if you're wondering. He did cast tp regen once!

I guess I'm furious because I main bard and he gives bards a poo poo name.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hellsguard do have a bit more PIE than average though. If you were a Sea Wolf the difference would be a bit more noticeable, but you'd still get there in one tick.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

In Sohm Al:

quote:

[12:52 a.m.](Spiced Rum) uhhh, mind turning WM on?
[12:54 a.m.](Y'zaria Redlynx) WM?
[12:54 a.m.](Destini Redlynx) hm?
[12:54 a.m.](Spiced Rum) the Wanderer's Minuet
[12:54 a.m.](Spiced Rum) y'know, more damage as a bard?
[12:55 a.m.](Y'zaria Redlynx) I haven't done that quest yet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Are you complaining about a level 53 that hasn't dropped everything and done the 52 quest? :confused:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Okay so, I have a question, and don't slam me too much for it.
I've been skipping all of the story-related things as I played through the game for the first time and now I'd like to actually figure out what the story is.
Is the best thing I can do now is to create a new character?

I know that you can watch all the cutscenes but I can imagine that I'll miss quite a bit of stuff that's in between the cutscenes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, I guess you can just read your journal of your done quests?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
People probably won't get too upset at you for wanting to see the story now, it's mostly when people go "lol the story in this game is bad and for children anyway, I skip all cutscenes" that people start getting salty.

Yeah, probably best to just watch cutscenes from the inn, if anything doesn't make sense go back to that quest in your journal and remind yourself of what you actually had to do there. Will take much less time than leveling an alt.

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
If you want to actually reread qu'est dialogue that's not in the Inn diary, this might help you. I'm sorry, I'm on mobile and can't get the link to go to the page that sorts by patch :/ (I'll edit it in as soon as I can though)

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Loremonger_Transcript

I don't know if it has EVERY quest, but for major ones and seemingly most of the HW you should be fine it looks like

edit: this is the page I was looking for http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Main_Scenario_Quest

also the number of quests with transcripts is pretty much just starting stuff and HW, but I hope it helps somehow

Egoist fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 9, 2016

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

you're pretty dense if you expect a Bard to have done the WM questline for a 53 dungeon; it's only when you're level 56 it becomes worth even using the HW skills

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'd argue 54, Empyreal Arrow is pretty sweet. Iron Jaws definitely clinches it though.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Eh, better to get it at 52 and start getting used to it as soon as you can, I think.

It's not that big of a deal in a Sohm Al anyway though.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
The sky pirate gear doesn't go cheap, but it's slick as heck.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Leofish posted:

Any love for Neckbros in this thread?

I often debate turning my elf lady into a elf man, but ultimately always chicken out. I don't see a lot of elezen love in this game.

Every so often, though, I look in party finder on my server and see someone looking specifically for a male elezen dragoon for I don't even know what reason. I really think curiosity will get the better of me one day...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Vil posted:

I'd argue 54, Empyreal Arrow is pretty sweet. Iron Jaws definitely clinches it though.

I agree. It's much less important for BRD to grab WM right off the bat, can hold off until 54 and get it and Empyreal Arrow at the same time. Much more important for MCH to grab Gauss Barrel because of how the math on Wildfire works.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ruta posted:

I often debate turning my elf lady into a elf man, but ultimately always chicken out. I don't see a lot of elezen love in this game.

Every so often, though, I look in party finder on my server and see someone looking specifically for a male elezen dragoon for I don't even know what reason. I really think curiosity will get the better of me one day...

Maybe they just miss Estinien and want to hang out with the Azure Dragoon again.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

ruta posted:

:stare: I have levels in Dragoon. Oh my.

I do feel a bit unique in regard to my character. I don't see a lot of elezen in the duty finder, and also I think female characters of all races vastly outnumber the men. I see a lot of Au Ra and catgirls, but rarely elezen of any sex. I like being tall and thin. I like the way gear fits on him. Roes are awesome and have fun animations but they're too wide for my tastes, and I don't like the way catmen stand or run.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Leofish posted:

:stare: I have levels in Dragoon. Oh my.

I do feel a bit unique in regard to my character. I don't see a lot of elezen in the duty finder, and also I think female characters of all races vastly outnumber the men. I see a lot of Au Ra and catgirls, but rarely elezen of any sex. I like being tall and thin. I like the way gear fits on him. Roes are awesome and have fun animations but they're too wide for my tastes, and I don't like the way catmen stand or run.

actually someone went through the lodestone and made a chart about this. the results may or may not surprise you

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

ilifinicus posted:

you're pretty dense if you expect a Bard to have done the WM questline for a 53 dungeon; it's only when you're level 56 it becomes worth even using the HW skills

It's still better for AoE scenarios, and imo trash is the slowest part. turn it off for bosses yeah but you're just missing out on 30% extra aoe damage for no good reason.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Velthice posted:

actually someone went through the lodestone and made a chart about this. the results may or may not surprise you

Interesting. Maybe it's just confirmation bias on my part then, that I only tend to notice the women more. I guess the overabundance of catgirls and dragongirls has skewed my perception of how the other races stack up. Interesting that Lalafell men outnumber the women slightly. I thought they'd appeal more to the chibi anime fan types.

Roegadames are the few, the proud.

EDIT SINCE I HAVE THE LAST POST RIGHT NOW:

Go to meme thread. Be reminded of InspiroBot. Go to InspiroBot. Be reminded of FFXIV thread.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 9, 2016

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm just getting into playing this game and so far it seems quite fun. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a semi-casual goon guild? Been trying to get on Excalibur over the last few days and haven't had much success, so been considering other options.

Or is that where most people on here play?
Interested in playing a tank/healer if that matters.

edit: I'm still curious, although I did manage to get on Excalibur finally.

Whiirrr fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 9, 2016

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm sure these have been answered a hundred times in this thread already, but I'm nearing my first level 50 in this game and had a few questions:

-Should I bother with the level 50 content or just pick up Heavensward right away? I heard the level 50 stuff was really fun, but I don't know if its really worth spending a month or so doing content that is outdated. Maybe I should hit level 60 and then go back to complete the vanilla game?

-I just got my first beast quest and these seem to basically be reputations from WoW? Are these still worth doing with Heavensward out, or are there new reputations at 60?

-Am I going to have to raid or die at max level? One of the issues I have with WoW is that if you want to see decent gear, you have to raid. I read about some kind of tomes you can collect through doing regular dungeons and primal fights.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

ilifinicus posted:

they also didn't use cooldowns or straight shot on trash and it took forever to clear

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I've recently started playing this, albeit in the EU (Cerberus) so no fun goon FCs (though I do get random FC invites 2-3 times a session, mostly without anyone even convoing me to say anything).

I'm enjoying tanking so far, is there a good guide on what to do when you hit 50 (currently 35th level and I do have Heavensward) as a tank to gear up. Or do I just keep levelling to 60 now? At the moment I seem to be well above the level of the single player quest, and that and dungeons seem to be the best way to get gear, especially with market prices being so extreme.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Cardboard Fox posted:

I'm sure these have been answered a hundred times in this thread already, but I'm nearing my first level 50 in this game and had a few questions:

-Should I bother with the level 50 content or just pick up Heavensward right away? I heard the level 50 stuff was really fun, but I don't know if its really worth spending a month or so doing content that is outdated. Maybe I should hit level 60 and then go back to complete the vanilla game?

-I just got my first beast quest and these seem to basically be reputations from WoW? Are these still worth doing with Heavensward out, or are there new reputations at 60?

-Am I going to have to raid or die at max level? One of the issues I have with WoW is that if you want to see decent gear, you have to raid. I read about some kind of tomes you can collect through doing regular dungeons and primal fights.

You have to do the level 50 content to get to Heavensward. There are 100 quests between the end of the original story and the start of the Heavensward story. If you don't have heavensward, you don't earn any XP from these quests (although they don't give a lot of XP). To get to 60 without doing the post game story you'd be looking at doing a lot of fate grinding in northern thanalan and even then you'd not have any access to the new skills / gear because they're all in heavensward areas.

Yeah, beast tribes are worth doing. At level 3 you get a choice of materia from each quest a day (you can do 12 beast tribe quests a day) as well as being able to buy tokens which contribute to the level 60 relic. There are Beast Tribes at level 60 but they don't overwrite the level 50 ones because, again, they're in Heavensward areas.

No, if you don't want to be at bleeding edge content at level 60 you don't have to. Most of the raids that you'll have access to at level 60 you can do in an hour max (if not closer to half an hour) without having to organize raid groups or statics; hell, DF groups of the current level 60 "casual" raids actually don't explode any more than they usually would. At level 60 you start earning the endgame currency, Tomestones of Lore (and esoterics but they're outmoded, uncapped and really easy to earn now) which will let you get gear. You'll get a daily roulette to do which will give you 75 Lore a day (with you being able to collect a maximum of 450 Lore in a week).

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Cardboard Fox posted:

You'll be required to do a bunch of level 50 content before you can start heavensward, you have to work your way through a few content patches worth of level 50 main storyline quests.

Vanilla beast tribes are not that relevant, also, they take forever to level up your reputation. The only thing you get from them is some unique mounts.

This game is pretty good about letting people catch up to the raiders. Right now for example, it's pretty easy to get kitted out in level 220 gear, which is better than what endgame raiders could get in the previous patch. So you'll never be too far behind.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Philonius posted:

Vanilla beast tribes are not that relevant, also, they take forever to level up your reputation. The only thing you get from them is some unique mounts.

No longer true: they give level 4 materia and currency for relic quest items

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

If you learn one thing from this thread, it's that glamour is the true endgame. You don't have to raid, but you sure as gently caress better look pretty.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Whiirrr posted:

I'm just getting into playing this game and so far it seems quite fun. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a semi-casual goon guild? Been trying to get on Excalibur over the last few days and haven't had much success, so been considering other options.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/80cd4583bf743600105b947d6906d0909189e479

Excalibur is open :siren:RIGHT NOW:siren: so make a char there.

If you don't right now, though, check that link at the times listed inside and try to make a char right at the start of each window.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The grade 4 materia is pretty sweet easy money on the MB right now. I'm sure that market will crash but for now, you can usually sell them for about 10k each, I'm finding.

Or you can meld it or whatever

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
10k a piece is the crashed market price. I think they'll stabilize around that point and fluctuate up and down but stay right about that until the next relic step if it is anything like the alexandrite step of the previous relic.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

10k a piece for grade 4s is nuts. poo poo used to be hundreds of thousands of gil.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

10k a piece for grade 4s is nuts. poo poo used to be hundreds of thousands of gil.

I'm stocking up on ones I think I might need because these prices are insane.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Mr. Nice! posted:

10k a piece is the crashed market price. I think they'll stabilize around that point and fluctuate up and down but stay right about that until the next relic step if it is anything like the alexandrite step of the previous relic.
They have specifically said that the stat customizing step will not involve materia or alexandrite, thank god.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Most of the price drop is because grade 5 materia now exists though isn't it? Or were the prices that high even when 5s were around?

Either way, if this is the crashed price, it's still pretty good. 30-120k for doing a few easy quests (especially since at 60 you can just walk past all the mobs) is a nice thing to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Whiirrr posted:

All the goon guilds are about equally casual, though PBC has more veteran players and TPT has more newer players. If you end up not liking one, you can freely move between them without any issues.

• Locked thread