Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't there some person online that lit their whole home with candles? Like tried to create a modern level of light with candlelight, which requires an obscene number of torches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Pureauthor posted:

You mean the candles thing isn't a parody or joke?

I saw this screenshot of a tweet several weeks ago, and I've been hanging onto it to use for this post.

I know that it's just silly to think that anyone would spend $3600 on candles. And I know that if his family really were dying, the answer to how to budget that is simple...

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Of course it's a joke you goofball, smdh.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

By gawd, I'm starting to suspect this "wint" character isn't on the up and up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FadingChord posted:

I know that it's just silly to think that anyone would spend $3600 on candles. And I know that if his family really were dying, the answer to how to budget that is simple...

Didn't the candle thing come from this very thread?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

No, Jack Nicholson is hard up for money but also addicted to candles

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Anyone who looks at that tweet and doesn't immediately recognize it as satirical needs to recalibrate their humor detector. It is such an obvious (and good) parody.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Wow look at this humble brag in the BWM thread, saying that you can afford a sarcasm detector. Well excuuuuuuuuse me, some of us aren't fortunate enough to have them.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

No, Jack Nicholson is hard up for money but also addicted to candles

He snorts them up by the line.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Is burning your (insured) house down because you tried to illuminate it with 1,000 candles BWM?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Only if insurance doesn't pay out or you get charged with arson

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Wickerman posted:

Only if insurance doesn't pay out or you get charged with arson

Does it count as arson if it's a poorly-attempted heating method?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

daggerdragon posted:

Does it count as arson if it's a poorly-attempted heating method?

No, it comes down to intent. You just claim you are retarded and you'll be able to collect the insurance.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

pig slut lisa posted:

OK, thanks. I already...kinda (?) have someone? This is an incredibly messy partnership; the partners are family members who own my grandparents' estate and do not get along particularly well. As in: my aunt was making unpurposed cash withdrawals until we noticed and called her out on it, plus she's already incredibly BWM on her own. There are also horses involved, for those of you who follow the BWM thread. The attorney for the partnership is largely non-responsive, and the accountant can't manage to get us our K-1s before April 10th every year.

Anyway, things have gotten so bad that my side of the family finally got fed up and negotiated a buyout of our shares. We should all be getting out well under whatever our original basis is, but what exactly that number is none of us knows. The financial records are in some disarray and the accountant is kind of crap, but we're at a point with my aunt where things are relatively peaceable right now so we need to stick with this guy. Not to mention every time we've asked for an actual accounting/audit of the past few years' finances we've been blown off. So it's this very weird situation where we're dealing with a lot of complexity, we can't get the information we need, we need to balance pushing for that info while not sending my aunt into a crazy illogical rage, and most of all we just want to be loving out. So we're sticking with this accountant for now, even though he kind of sucks, simply because if we try to change things we're going to get bounced back to square one or worse.

I took the liberty of re-posting this in a more appropriate location. I hope you don't mind :v:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

slap me silly posted:

I took the liberty of re-posting this in a more appropriate location. I hope you don't mind :v:

I don't, although I would like to state for the record that the bad with money parties here are my aunt (sooooooo so bad, I haven't even talked about the private school that she has operated at a loss for years thanks to subsidies from the Bank of Mom and Dad, back before they passed) and my grandmother (who set up this stupid loving partnership instead of just liquidating everything and sending us all on our way). My side of the family's BWM sins only extend inasmuch as we couldn't figure out the best way to disarm this financial suicide vest that got strapped to our chests a couple years ago. But now we have an opportunity to get bought out and gently caress it, even if it's well below the full value of our shares I don't care, I don't care, we're going to be free!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

One cool thing about this partnership is how every year I get my taxes 98% done by early March, and my Federal refund is significantly larger than my state tax liability, and then I wait and wait and wait and stress and stress about when this accountant is going to get my my K-1, and then it finally shows up 5 days before the filing deadline only to see Turbotax wind my Federal refund amount down and my my state tax liability up by several hundred each, to the point where now instead of netting a refund I net owe taxes, and oh by the way the partnerhship economic activity that I'm getting taxed on is my aunt selling things out of the brokerage account for things that aren't related to the partnership at all, but are instead her dumb school, fancy vacations, etc. whatever gently caress gently caress gently caress!

Honestly it's the kind of situation where yeah, we could litigate it and eventually be vindicated, but it would be a real Jarndyce and Jarndyce situation so instead we've just waited for a window to get out, which happens to be now.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Yeah... Get the buyout done asap and never look back

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

pig slut lisa posted:

i'm going to marry the @dril candles tweet. i say it every time i see it, but this time i mean it.

The night my partner proposed he used dozens of tealights I'd gotten as freebies from an acquaintance who was involved in a candle MLM.

After I accepted, we drank champagne and I told him to "stop buying candles". He said "no". Then we giggled ourselves stupid. Goddamn, @dril is great.

Getting free mlm candles - good with money?

Found out recently an acquaintance who bought an albatross of a vehicle that was surprisingly similar to CornHolio's managed to sell it. I can only imagine what they get next.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

froglet posted:

The night my partner proposed he used dozens of tealights I'd gotten as freebies from an acquaintance who was involved in a candle MLM.

After I accepted, we drank champagne and I told him to "stop buying candles". He said "no". Then we giggled ourselves stupid. Goddamn, @dril is great.

Getting free mlm candles - good with money?

Found out recently an acquaintance who bought an albatross of a vehicle that was surprisingly similar to CornHolio's managed to sell it. I can only imagine what they get next.
All mlm crap is like pennies on a dollar if you check eBay or Craigslist.

Similar to your sorry, my cousin lit at least a hundred of those candles, lined up around the perimeter of hallway and living room, just to create a romantic setting. Then spent about a day cleaning the soot off the walls. It's a tiny apartment in a high-rise building, and of course there wasn't a fire extinguisher anywhere near.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
Bad With Money: Or How To Build Horse Equiny

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Free GWM business idea: horse shaped candles. Wait, here's another one: candles for horses. You don't want your horse(s) to be the only ones in the stable without candles, do you???

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Ask Mrs. O'Leary how putting animals and fire together works out.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Ask Mrs. O'Leary how putting animals and fire together works out.

This was a very amoosing read on Wikipedia.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

slap me silly posted:

Who's gonna get the horse?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Not it. If I've learned anything from this thread, it's "Do Never Horse".

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Factor Mystic posted:

Free GWM business idea: horse shaped candles. Wait, here's another one: candles for horses. You don't want your horse(s) to be the only ones in the stable without candles, do you???

Horse gets startled by slight movement of candle, has heart attack, dies.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Factor Mystic posted:

Horse shaped candles made out of the fat from your horse. Let them keep being the light of your life, even after they saw a plastic bag blowing in the wind and died of panic.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

bartlebyshop posted:

Horse shaped candles made out of the fat from your horse. Let them keep being the light of your life, even after they saw a plastic bag blowing in the wind and died of panic.

No, a truly dedicated pet owner turns their horse into diamonds. Companies Turn Departed Pets Into Gems; A Diamond Lhasa Apso Is Forever

Apparently they only need a cup of dead animal per diamond, so you could get a shitload of horse diamonds.

quote:

Megan Oswald-Held collected samples of hair from three of her dogs, a Yorkie-poo and two Lhasa Apsos, and mixed that with a sample of hair she saved from her deceased Lhasa Apso, Jade, to make a three-quarter-carat radiant-cut diamond. The gem cost $4,700.

That's horse-tier BWM.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Trillian posted:

No, a truly dedicated pet owner turns their horse into diamonds. Companies Turn Departed Pets Into Gems; A Diamond Lhasa Apso Is Forever

Apparently they only need a cup of dead animal per diamond, so you could get a shitload of horse diamonds.

That's horse-tier BWM.

The cheapest LifeGem is $2,490 for a .10 -.19 carat yellow diamond.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Trillian posted:

That's horse-tier BWM.

Nah. Dog diamonds are forever. $4,700 is like three months of boarding your horse, assuming he doesn't stub his hoof and get horse gangrene or some poo poo.

In that vein, here is a ludicrously low-balled list of horse expenses, followed up with the conclusion, "The cost of a horse is worth every cent!" http://www.equine.com/horse-cost.aspx Purely coincidentally, the heading at the top of that page is, "HORSES FOR SALE."

You can't afford not to buy a horse at today's prices.

Edit: lolololol... there's a "compare" button.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Today at the library I decided to read the aspirational rag Money magazine. Because I hate myself.

There was one family who owed something in the region of 2 million because they had half a dozen investment properties. I can't remember what they were asking but I don't think any of the properties rent even paid the mortgage (negative gearing strikes again!). The advice was to "consolidate", by which I think he meant sell off some of the houses because they were waaaay overexposed to property.

My favourite was the guy with with 60k worth of shares, a 45k margin loan, 12k in savings while only on 66k per annum including super. He's one job loss and/or stock market crash away from ruin.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Trillian posted:

That's horse-tier BWM.

Maybe, but then again, if having the ring keeps her from needing a new animal, it could save money in the long run. You don't need to board a ring or take it to the vet!

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Centripetal Horse posted:

In that vein, here is a ludicrously low-balled list of horse expenses, followed up with the conclusion, "The cost of a horse is worth every cent!" http://www.equine.com/horse-cost.aspx Purely coincidentally, the heading at the top of that page is, "HORSES FOR SALE."

You can't afford not to buy a horse at today's prices.

Edit: lolololol... there's a "compare" button.

quote:

The Cost of a Horse is Worth Every Cent

If all these costs - as well as optional expenses, such as tack, riding lessons and show entry fees - leave you feeling daunted about buying your first horse, remember that there's no substitute for an equine companion. Although the cost of a horse isn't small, the rewards are large. As long as you've planned ahead and can afford your horse, you won't regret it - so go ahead and start shopping the Equine.com horse classifieds.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

froglet posted:

Today at the library I decided to read the aspirational rag Money magazine. Because I hate myself.

There was one family who owed something in the region of 2 million because they had half a dozen investment properties. I can't remember what they were asking but I don't think any of the properties rent even paid the mortgage (negative gearing strikes again!). The advice was to "consolidate", by which I think he meant sell off some of the houses because they were waaaay overexposed to property.

My favourite was the guy with with 60k worth of shares, a 45k margin loan, 12k in savings while only on 66k per annum including super. He's one job loss and/or stock market crash away from ruin.

Money mag is a horrible magazine that proclaims to be about investment advice but very little apart from advertising other companies junk. A lady at work used to bring them in and at first I would read them and... well what stuck in my mind was a story about investors who would buy properties, add/renovate/spend more money and then proclaim they made a profit of $X amount. This was the highlight of advice, renovate the kitchen and sell for more! None of the stories had follow ups of how these investors went.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Probably a joke, but it got a laugh out of me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4dit7f/i_accidentally_bought_36_rolls_of_single_ply/ posted:

I accidentally bought 36 rolls of single ply toilet paper. If I donate the remaining 35 rolls to a homeless shelter can I claim it as a tax write-off? (self.personalfinance)

Not much else to say. I'm a man who loves both fiscal responsibility and personal comfort.

On a more serious note, getting other people to cosign your car loans is GWM. The decisions leading up to that are not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4eb714/would_a_cosigner_on_a_car_loan_be_given_a_copy_of/ posted:

I am a college student working part time earning about $1200 a month pre-tax, and my Equifax credit score is about 740 (according to Discover).

I recently was involved in a car crash and my hood is severely dented and a headlight was smashed. While the car is still able to be driven, it is a 1996 model with over 180,000 miles and is likely on its last leg.

I figured that now might be a good time to purchase a newer, used car, but my income is too low for any banks to approve me by myself.

I'm looking in the range of $6,000-$8,000 for a car, and my grandmother offered to cosign a loan if necessary. She has a fantastic credit history and I have no doubt she would be approved.

However, in the last few years I have taken some personal loans for some really stupid purchases (2 computers that I did not need, about $3,500 total) and I would be very embarrassed if my family found out.

(I don't live with them and I'm able to store the computers away when they come over)

If I were to go to our bank with my grandmother and discuss a car loan, would the banker mention my loans at all? Would my grandmother even be made aware of my credit score or anything else on my credit report?

tl;dr: Is my personal credit history discussed when meeting a banker with my cosigner?
Not mentioned: If grandma's planning on chipping in on the car payment.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Haifisch posted:

On a more serious note, getting other people to cosign your car loans is GWM. The decisions leading up to that are not.

Not mentioned: If grandma's planning on chipping in on the car payment.

I'm trying to figure out what "Computer" is a code word for.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Rudager posted:

I'm trying to figure out what "Computer" is a code word for.
Probably a Mac, those things cost fuckload of money.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
The response of an Australian when I said having 60% of your pay going to a house, (on a salary of $100,000) is loving stupid:

quote:

Sure it does, 1 would hope your partner has a job or some form but If circumstance don't allow for that then 60% of $100k still leaves plenty 1 can put extra into the mortgage or aside. even an extra few thousand each year slaughters the repayment time on mortgages. Heck going from monthly to fortnightly lops of 5-10 years on a 35 year mortgage.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

CelestialScribe posted:

The response of an Australian when I said having 60% of your pay going to a house, (on a salary of $100,000) is loving stupid:

Does he always use "1" as an upper case "i"?

And, as a renter, I cheerfully await the housing Armageddon than may or may not happen in our nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Does he always use "1" as an upper case "i"?

And, as a renter, I cheerfully await the housing Armageddon than may or may not happen in our nation.

It won't. I say this as a renter.

• Locked thread