Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What are the actual benefits of juicing compared to blending? Juicing seems more for vegetables as I've never hear of people throwing denser vegetables like carrots in a blender, but nowadays you can get spinach and kale and other leafy greens in your smoothie at smoothie stores with your delicious fruits...

You get all the sugar without any of that pesky fiber stuff!

...yeah it's dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Drinking juice is so inefficient, guys, eat your meals optimally like the rest of us.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Sometimes I want to eat the wheatgrass you know?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Part of me just died a little:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPnTa1UJPEI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4LUasFly0c

(Ford commercials)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Why would a part of you die because of good commercials?

They also did this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uiho8HLI3A

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

It feels weird to have decades-old media rehashed and re-purposed with the original actors just to get you to buy a drat car. All that work that goes into it, the campaign pitch, the budgeting, the contracting, the rights acquisition from Konami, the recording, the editing, etc. It's a ton of thought and effort to produce something....dumb.

Please also understand that "dumb" isn't always a negative thing. I love lots of dumb things.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
10 years is a perfect time frame for teenagers to grow up and start buying cars. I never watched any of those cartoons, but the commercials seem amusing even without proper context.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
I thought it was pretty well done actually, they put more effort into it than most other companies would have and made it a little funny at the same time. Didn't really expect to see a car company make these though.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Nitrox posted:

10 years is a perfect time frame for teenagers to grow up and start buying cars. I never watched any of those cartoons, but the commercials seem amusing even without proper context.

try 20

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I remember in the 90s some car company was doing the same thing only with Speed Racer, nothing new under the sun etc.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The original Metal Gear Solid turns 18 this year and I bet a LOT of people reading this suddenly feel far older.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The original Metal Gear Solid turns 18 this year and I bet a LOT of people reading this suddenly feel far older.

For that matter, the original Metal Gear turns 29 this year, so they're probably hitting the midlife-crisis target too.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Wow, they did one with Captain Planet too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MKZkvCppx4

What's next, Skeletor ranting about how He-Man keeps kicking his rear end because the 2016 Ford F-150 is so fuel efficient?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

C.M. Kruger posted:

What's next, Skeletor ranting about how He-Man keeps kicking his rear end because the 2016 Ford F-150 is so fuel efficient?

"Truck of Omens, give me hauling capacity beyond hauling capacity!"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
For the first time in my life, I remember what a car commercial tells me about estimated MPG because Cambpell said it and Snake repeated it verbatim.

Holy cow.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Grey Fox posted:

It feels weird to have decades-old media rehashed and re-purposed with the original actors just to get you to buy a drat car. All that work that goes into it, the campaign pitch, the budgeting, the contracting, the rights acquisition from Konami, the recording, the editing, etc. It's a ton of thought and effort to produce something....dumb.

Please also understand that "dumb" isn't always a negative thing. I love lots of dumb things.

I would imagine it was a lot cheaper and easier than filming a whole new commercial. It's a really good idea, really well done. If there was an actually pretty cool moves in marketing thread this whole series would belong in it.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

C.M. Kruger posted:

Uhhhh

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Nyah!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Why are they all hyping up the rearview camera?

Isn't that, like, legally required nowadays?

fake edit: Oh never mind, it's required "by 2018".

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It's required because they make the vehicles so drat bloated that you can't see out the back window.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Might as well pretend that your vehicle is a special snowflake for having it. Until the unwashed masses realize it's a mandatory accessory

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Why are they all hyping up the rearview camera?

Isn't that, like, legally required nowadays?

fake edit: Oh never mind, it's required "by 2018".

That Chevy commercial where people are blown away by all the technology in the car and think it's some BMW or something that costs over $50,000 is kind of like that. Have these people not looked at cars in like, 10 years? You can get an econo shitbox that syncs your Iphone and plays streaming music. I'm sure the car companies are counting down the days until the radio/CD unit is replaced by a bluetooth receiver entirely.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's required because they make the vehicles so drat bloated that you can't see out the back window.

Working as a valet was amazing because like 99% of people don't realize its generally easier to back up using the side view mirrors.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't know if it's really marketing but I can't think of a better place for this. Evidently the place I've just been on holiday has a gang problem, because all the bars in the area have government mandated (or at least in the same style as stuff about age limits etc.) signs forbidding the wearing of gang colours. Except they must not want to say "gang", because/so they just forbid the wearing of 'colours', emphasis theirs. Because reading extra meaning into the word colour has absolutely no unpleasant history whatsoever.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
In more tales of companies congratulating themselves for doing the bare legal minimum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJvzptyMR4A

Travelocity: almost always following federal guidelines!

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Nitrox posted:

Might as well pretend that your vehicle is a special snowflake for having it. Until the unwashed masses realize it's a mandatory accessory

It's toasted!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

AlphaKretin posted:

I don't know if it's really marketing but I can't think of a better place for this. Evidently the place I've just been on holiday has a gang problem, because all the bars in the area have government mandated (or at least in the same style as stuff about age limits etc.) signs forbidding the wearing of gang colours. Except they must not want to say "gang", because/so they just forbid the wearing of 'colours', emphasis theirs. Because reading extra meaning into the word colour has absolutely no unpleasant history whatsoever.

Since bars, restaurants, clubs, whatever in America can't legally say "no black people" you end up with places that have "dress codes" instead.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
This showed up as promoted by McDonald's in my Twitter feed.

I'm honestly not sure what they're trying to achieve. Convince mothers to get their kids to work at McD?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

This showed up as promoted by McDonald's in my Twitter feed.

I'm honestly not sure what they're trying to achieve. Convince mothers to get their kids to work at McD?

This is a clever bit of marketing where McDonald's paid some hack journalist to write a piece that tries to scrub away some of the stink of having McJobs be a frequently used term in the US by pretending it's a cool, hip place to work with a nest uniform and a fun atmosphere that will definitely get you a better job in the future, with their new skills for life system. So it's totally ok that you'll be working for minimum wage, just keep working and eventually you'll get those skills you need to advance.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's bootstraps thinking, isn't it? You're learning the skills you need to become successful at your lovely minimum wage job, so keep working there and eventually you'll get rich and powerful!

You're not a member of the repressed proletariat, you're a temporarily embarrassed millionaire.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The key word in that "blog" is Canada. We're on of the markets where they've spent a bunch of money renovating and launching trying to go more upscale. They've been running TV ads trying to play it up as a great place for young people to work as well (which is sort of true even if it's mostly because we've got decent minimum wage laws).

Here's on the TV spot they've been running:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2QyZ54Helw

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

The key word in that "blog" is Canada. We're on of the markets where they've spent a bunch of money renovating and launching trying to go more upscale. They've been running TV ads trying to play it up as a great place for young people to work as well (which is sort of true even if it's mostly because we've got decent minimum wage laws).

Here's on the TV spot they've been running:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2QyZ54Helw

I love how comments are disabled.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TontoCorazon posted:

I love how comments are disabled.

It's a standard practice with all promotional material.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Captain Monkey posted:

This is a clever bit of marketing where McDonald's paid some hack journalist to write a piece that tries to scrub away some of the stink of having McJobs be a frequently used term in the US by pretending it's a cool, hip place to work with a nest uniform and a fun atmosphere that will definitely get you a better job in the future, with their new skills for life system. So it's totally ok that you'll be working for minimum wage, just keep working and eventually you'll get those skills you need to advance.

You know how they can stop the association of McJob? By paying a living wage.
It would cost a few ad campaigns, but be worth ten times that.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You know how they can stop the association of McJob? By paying a living wage.
It would cost a few ad campaigns, but be worth ten times that.

Walmart has a promoted tweet now about "1 in 7 Americans can't put food on their table" and it's getting savaged with "because you assholes don't pay your employees enough"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ElwoodCuse posted:

Since bars, restaurants, clubs, whatever in America can't legally say "no black people" you end up with places that have "dress codes" instead.

"NO DO-RAGS, FLAT-BRIMMED HATS, OR ROLLED-UP PANT LEGS. Wait, what do you mean, 'that's racist?' It has nothing to do with keeping certain people out of our nightclub!"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

One I saw was "No sleeveless shirts for males"

Is that targeting any ethnicity?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Italians?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Mu Zeta posted:

:siren: MISANDRY!!1! :byodood: :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm pretty sure this counts as dumb marketing trick