Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Vib Rib posted:

Seriously just crank down the difficulty throttlers on Agricraft, crossbreeding maxed out crops of every type was fun once but I'm not gonna do that in every single modpack. Make it so crops can inherit from all other crops and reduce the stat divisor to 1. Breed up your base crops (carrot, potato, etc) to max, then all you need to do is crossbreed them to make the new varieties, and those new seeds will be 10/10/10 to start. gently caress breeding up every type of crop to max stats.

Meskhenet posted:

I agree.

Its like thaumcraft 4. once you've gone through the motions once, do it easy next.

I went and changed a few things in the config. So my rows of crops are breeding nicely.

Yup, agree on both. When playing packs on single-player I always go into configs and disable grindy poo poo I've done before. Unfortunately I'm playing IE:S on a server. Not looking forward to doing Thaumcraft... :suicide:

Meskhenet posted:

That stuffed eggplant in a culinary generator really is awesome. 2 generators to power a sieve, and i have one powering an auto clicker (though ill try build the auto hammer). A redstone clock on a block placer and my cobblestone breaking is now automatic. (though the autonomous clicker does use the chicken hammer properly.)

My problem now is transport. Getting stuff from one block 2 blocks over... The BC pipes, didnt like them in regrowth, not liking them now. And no, i dont have the resources to build itemduct yet :/

I want to harvest my garlic/eggplant and put it into a chest. That chest then sends it to a workbench to auto craft (something tells me that the baking dish might upset my plans there), then the bench drops it into another chest.

What can i use? for transport?

(the transfer node that i have making cobblestone. Does that move stuff around? all i know it does is make cobblestone)

Yup, you can use transfer nodes to move things around, probably the easiest option before you progress up to Thermal Expansion and EnderIO pipes. Put a transfer node on a chest/inventory, and run transfer pipes to where you want them to go. No world interaction upgrade needed as in your cobblegen setup, since the node is interacting with an inventory rather than with the world.

I use a Cyclic Assembler to autocraft them in my builds.

Itemducts on the right pump garlic and eggplant down from my farms above into the back of storage drawers for each one -- you can substitute in logistics pipes for itemducts, and chests/barrels/caches in for storage drawers here just fine. Transfer nodes on top of each drawer pull them back out, and run left into the cyclic assembler. A rationing pipe at the end (the blue pipe going into the assembler) makes sure only one stack of each food is pumped into the assembler, making sure it doesn't get filled with just eggplant or whatever.

Then you can put a schematic into the assembler for stuffed eggplant and set up the recipe on the right. You can leave the bakeware in the assembler, and it'll keep reusing it to craft each one.

The issue for you is that if you don't have itemducts yet, then you definitely don't have the machines set up to make the Cyclic Assembler. I don't know much about alternative autocrafting options that might be available that early on, so you'd have to look into that. You should be able to use the piping system above for them if you find one, or at least something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody have general stats on power generation and consumption in Galacticraft? The main site is down and I can't manage to scrape this information out from anywhere. I wanted to highlight Advanced Solar Panels for a moon base quest in BFSR, but I can't figure out how many of these people need to run a basic oxygen system. I could just recommend combusting stuff in generators, but it just seems so wrong.

So assuming:
1. I'm on the moon.
2. I'm pressurizing a 9x9x4 chamber using a collector over 3 layers of 7x7 wheat farms.
3. I also have the oxygen sealer and a compressor.
4. I want some surplus power to charge up teleporters for infrequent use.
5. Finally, I have a basic capacitor bank, although that doesn't really draw anything.

What am I looking at for consistent power? Are there better, passive options for the moon? Like, should I look at solar from other modpacks? Note, again, we could just go into setting up a nuclear reactor or furnace generators, but I'm trying to at least convey the proper spirit first.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

An adv solar simply produces the same energy throughout the day that a regular solar would at noon. The regular solar output depends on the position of the sun, since it doesn't tilt around to face the sun like the adv solar does.

http://galacticraft.mods.wiki/wiki/Tutorials/Galacticraft_Getting_Started_Guide
http://galacticraft.mods.wiki/wiki/Basic_Solar_Panel
http://galacticraft.mods.wiki/wiki/Advanced_Solar_Panel

Multiple collectors let you gather oxygen faster from the same area, so you may want 3 or 4 collectors, and since wheat doesn't decay like leaves do, you will have an easier time with it.

Just remember that your wheat farm doesn't have to be in the pressurized room.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
So I haven't used thaumcraft in literal years. The last time I used it was the patch that added infusion I think. Is it good enough these days to warrant a thaumcraft-only or thaumcraft-centric playthrough? I haven't been totally out of the modding community but I last played infinity evolved expert and burnt out on minecraft entirely after I made it into the steel era like a week in.

Is there an existing (updated) heavily thaumic pack? Additionally, is this a bad idea?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Fruit Chewy posted:

So I haven't used thaumcraft in literal years. The last time I used it was the patch that added infusion I think. Is it good enough these days to warrant a thaumcraft-only or thaumcraft-centric playthrough? I haven't been totally out of the modding community but I last played infinity evolved expert and burnt out on minecraft entirely after I made it into the steel era like a week in.

Is there an existing (updated) heavily thaumic pack? Additionally, is this a bad idea?

Try Blightfall.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

McFrugal posted:

Try Blightfall.

The modlist looks a little kitchensink-ier than I bargained for but the description sounds ambitious/impressive if it accomplishes even half of what it sets out to do.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Fayk posted:

So as an aside, I've been playing regrowth with a friend. I like a fair bit about it though it definitely would have been an easier sell if the the author didn't have such a strict progression in mind. (For comparison, the other modpack I've played with this friend was AgSkies1 [fun!], and regrowth early game felt way more grindy.)

Also way too much crop breeding/etc. That said, if I redid it all magically with the knowledge I have now, I'd have enjoyed the progression more. I probably waited longer than I had to to build boilers, etc.

So, all that said though, I'd never really messed with BuildCraft until this modpack. I'd always heard of it - mostly bad things. I'm not sure if it's improved in the last couple years, or what. The biggest problem in my mind is that I can't see a way to keep pipes from just making GBS threads out their contents if a block reaches the end of the line...without just making everything a loop. Is there a trick? Is this because I'm using non-inserter pipes goign to barrels?

Basically I have my main coal source going into one barrel (insertion pipe to make sure it's full), then I have overflow going to three b-space barrels that go to other places in my base - all those are connected by cobble so it basically randomly picks a destination. But if it picks one of the ones that is full, it just *pops!*.

Other than a loop, or other than having something to hoover up dropped stuff, any better approach? Is this kinda the 'catch' with BC? Or do I need to do poo poo with gates? I feel like itemducts from TE were friendly insofar as their interface/when things would push through the system. (TE in general rules but doesn't apply in Regrowth)

i disliked regrowth the first 2 times i tried it. Actually really got into it the 3rd time once i understood the progression.

But with the BC pipes, I thought i had them down right like 3 or 4 times in regrowth. I almost gave up, but then there is a pipe that paints everything a colour, then i just painted everything the same colour and used a colour routing pipe to get everything to where it needed to be.

Fruit Chewy posted:

Thaum 4 or 5?

big difference. If you want 4, blightfall is awesome. No idea about 5 though.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Fruit Chewy posted:

The modlist looks a little kitchensink-ier than I bargained for but the description sounds ambitious/impressive if it accomplishes even half of what it sets out to do.

You -will- need to use Tinkers Construct for tools/weapons and Pam's Harvestcraft/Cooking for Dummies in order to not starve to death, but aside from them Thaumcraft (4.2, by the way) is the only mod you really need to actually go into to 'win'. In fact, a lot of stuff is gated behind Thaumcraft infusions. Botania and Blood Magic are two other major magic mods to dabble in too, though. And there's some tech stuff if you care but it's far from necessary.

It's a mostly brilliant little world and there's lots of danger and exploration, and a lot of freedom in how you choose to go about dealing with it.

Speaking of Botania, I recently found what I consider to be a much better solution for powering Endoflames: ME Export bus onto a chest with basic Itemducts and Servos, which lead to however many drop crates you need to cover your Endoflames, providing a steady drip of fuel. But rather than taking up ground space with a pressure plate+redstone setup, just stick a Hopperhock on a chest nearby, with an ME Import Bus on the chest. The Hopperhock takes a second or two before it vacuums up anything, allowing charcoal to be consumed by Endoflames as needed, but cleaning up anything that isn't.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 9, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Try Blightfall with some people.

FYP. I find blightfall to be much more enjoyable when playing with some people.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Fruit Chewy posted:

for the most part a lot of those mods are just there to flesh it out some and you can ignore the majority of them. the 'main' focus is on thaumcraft in that it's used to create the world more or less and the most basic way of combating it is by learning thaumcraft. other stuff like tinker's is also needed but that's stuff you probably want to learn anyways since it's so widespread in minecraft mods.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

You -will- need to use Tinkers Construct for tools/weapons and Pam's Harvestcraft/Cooking for Dummies in order to not starve to death, but aside from them Thaumcraft (4.2, by the way) is the only mod you really need to actually go into to 'win'. In fact, a lot of stuff is gated behind Thaumcraft infusions. Botania and Blood Magic are two other major magic mods to dabble in too, though. And there's some tech stuff if you care but it's far from necessary.

It's a mostly brilliant little world and there's lots of danger and exploration, and a lot of freedom in how you choose to go about dealing with it.

Speaking of Botania, I recently found what I consider to be a much better solution for powering Endoflames: ME Export bus onto a chest with basic Itemducts and Servos, which lead to however many drop crates you need to cover your Endoflames, providing a steady drip of fuel. But rather than taking up ground space with a pressure plate+redstone setup, just stick a Hopperhock on a chest nearby, with an ME Import Bus on the chest. The Hopperhock takes a second or two before it vacuums up anything, allowing charcoal to be consumed by Endoflames as needed, but cleaning up anything that isn't.

though once you get the thaumcraft cake you never have to cook again.

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008
I just kept the healing axe on my hotbar all the time.

Taffer, how's the Progress modpack coming along? I always loved playing on your servers.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Willheim Wordsworth posted:

I just kept the healing axe on my hotbar all the time.

Oh god, this thing fills up saturation to full.

Still, was quite a long time before I found a sigil.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
I think the thing I miss most from Modular Powersuits was the module that would feed you automatically from your inventory.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was combing through Galacticraft stuff to figure out how far to take this BFSR business, and I discovered the Astro Miner. When did that become a thing? Is this something that can be used anywhere?

I will be looking into overriding oregen rates in the asteroid belt to make it worth it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Black Pants posted:

Oh god, this thing fills up saturation to full.

Still, was quite a long time before I found a sigil.

There's one hidden in one of the ice pillars up by the iceberg in the northeast, you'll know where it is because when you go past you'll hear random explosions because it's guarded by one of the corrupted wizard enemies that throw fireballs or something

Probably my favorite thing about Blightfall is how it rewards exploration. At some point this summer after my life stops being an endless clusterfuck of work I'm gonna host a Blightfall server for my friends and I can't wait to watch them explore the world.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 9, 2016

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Willheim Wordsworth posted:

Taffer, how's the Progress modpack coming along? I always loved playing on your servers.

Very slowly. I haven't forgotten about it, but I've been too slammed with work to spend any time with it recently. I'm hoping things slow down soon but you never know.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Magres posted:

There's one hidden in one of the ice pillars up by the iceberg in the northeast, you'll know where it is because when you go past you'll hear random explosions because it's guarded by one of the corrupted wizard enemies that throw fireballs or something

Probably my favorite thing about Blightfall is how it rewards exploration. At some point this summer after my life stops being an endless clusterfuck of work I'm gonna host a Blightfall server for my friends and I can't wait to watch them explore the world.

Oh. I think I found one in a chest inside a desert pyramid?

Though, I'm kind of afraid to explore most of the Blightfall world because doing so will destroy all the trees. I guess I'm just being sentimental about that.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Fayk posted:

I think the thing I miss most from Modular Powersuits was the module that would feed you automatically from your inventory.

Step assist, flying, railgun. That mod spoiled me so bad on ever trying to play minecraft in anything but "delayed creative" mode. I'm trying to plan a steel factory, here, not give a poo poo if a creeper's sneaking up on me.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

chairface posted:

Step assist, flying, railgun. That mod spoiled me so bad on ever trying to play minecraft in anything but "delayed creative" mode. I'm trying to plan a steel factory, here, not give a poo poo if a creeper's sneaking up on me.

Other mods give that kind of stuff. MPS is the only method of flight that allows ducking in mid-air. I can't go back to doing tech infrastructure without that.

Edit: NO, DUCKING WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY HOLDING JUMP TO STAY IN ONE SPOT DOES NOT COUNT.

Also, I've really been missing having a jetpack in Blightfall. Sure, creative-style Angel Ring flight is nice, but with a jetpack if I want to go just a bit higher than I can normally jump, I can just hold the space bar down a bit longer.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 10, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
BFSR's up to 310 quests, thanks to stuff I discovered in Galacticraft that I never even bothered trying myself before. It just goes and goes and goes, but the rate at which new quests go in has dramatically slowed down. I'm mostly catching up.

Can somebody help me with the astro miner and asteroids stuff? Do the plans for the tier 3 rocket, orion drive, and astro miner all show up in Mars dungeons? I'm going to just set up a store in the BFSR tutorial city where people can trade duplicate plans of one kind for the equivalent, so that should take care of a lot of problems. What is asteroid mining normally like in Galacticraft? I am wondering if I should institute some CoFH oregen overrides to make it much more hilarious.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Oh. I think I found one in a chest inside a desert pyramid?

Though, I'm kind of afraid to explore most of the Blightfall world because doing so will destroy all the trees. I guess I'm just being sentimental about that.

It's actually pretty cool. My map shows my progression really well.

All around alpha and swamp is crisp and clean, not a single tree (blooms and dawn totems) Then i start to get some trees around the jungle in the south when i put my first dawn machine on a ship.

Oh god, the purple clouds LOL. fun.

Question about beef wellingtons.

How do you automate salt production in the skyblock? it is a water bucket and the pot. I can do it manually but, nope, id rather not.

(currently i have one or 2 IC machines, i have a sawmill, pulveriser, fluid transporter, magma crucible. I have my asembly table up and a carpenter. Because in order to automate my farms i need rocket fuel, so i need 2 vats, which means i need a sagmill.....

I was automating gravel sifting, but now redstone is my bottleneck so im back to dust)

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
You can use a cyclic assembler to make salt. Input the recipe with the pot and bucket, then put the pot in the assembler's inventory and pump water into the internal tank. The assembler will craft salt as fast as you can feed it water and power.

You should make it a priority to expand your sifting operation so you are constantly sifting gravel, sand and dust at the same time. You need a lot of materials to go to space.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
If you need salt in a skyblock use a liquicrafter. It doesn't take any power and you can set up a salt and a fresh water crafter on the same Redstone clock.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ive just sort of set up my first set of machinary.

The machine frames still take a lot for me to make unfortunately. (and i just blew 2 on a planter and harvester). But yeah, my next few will be for 2 pulverisers so i can put sand into a at the same time as the gravel.
Which brings me to the next question. I can make the first tier of fluxduct that does 200 rf a tick (and i can make item duct now though quite limited runs). Is this lowest level of energy duct even worth it? Or should i stick with having my culinary generators next to my machines like i do now? (i have 8 of those atm, can make more as needed.)

And is a Ender IO combustion engine running from 2 vats (so rocket fuel) worth doing or just stick to culinary generators?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

Which brings me to the next question. I can make the first tier of fluxduct that does 200 rf a tick (and i can make item duct now though quite limited runs). Is this lowest level of energy duct even worth it? Or should i stick with having my culinary generators next to my machines like i do now? (i have 8 of those atm, can make more as needed.)
I know nothing of the pack you are playing, but the general rule is it is better to have poo poo ducts now than waiting when it comes to power. The better ones you get later will connect to the junky ones, so you can put the old ones at the destinations, where they are drawing power for usually just one machine. I believe fluxducts have an upgrade path regardless.

Now, this is less valuable if you are being especially parsimonious and piling machines on every available side of the duct. If you are skyblocking, then that thought has probably crossed your mind. You will exceed the transfer rate in nothing flat.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I know nothing of the pack you are playing, but the general rule is it is better to have poo poo ducts now than waiting when it comes to power. The better ones you get later will connect to the junky ones, so you can put the old ones at the destinations, where they are drawing power for usually just one machine. I believe fluxducts have an upgrade path regardless.

Note that the interconnectivity is not true with EnderIO power conduits. The low/mid/high can only connect to the same type, and machines. You can get around it with capacitors as buffers, but you can usually progress to the top tier of power cable before you have more power needs than can be met by just surrounding your generator with machines.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I found a semi way around it.

Itemducts, that just transfer item, if you pop 200mb of redstone in them can then conduct 8000 rf, which makes them better than the 2nd tier fluxduct (which only does 2000).

Item ducts is easy to make now, and 2 redstone for a fairly good duct that can do items and energy is nice.

Now that i have items moving about i need to set up my machines properly.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

Itemducts, that just transfer item, if you pop 200mb of redstone in them can then conduct 8000 rf, which makes them better than the 2nd tier fluxduct (which only does 2000).
Woah let's park here for a second. What is this? Is this a custom recipe?

So I know the redstone energy fluxducts conduct 8000 RF, and they are made by pumping 200mb of destabilized redstone into an empty redstone energy fluxduct. However, I don't know about this itemduct upgrade path.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So I know the redstone energy fluxducts conduct 8000 RF, and they are made by pumping 200mb of destabilized redstone into an empty redstone energy fluxduct. However, I don't know about this itemduct upgrade path.

No, it's plain TD. The recipe is somewhat hidden away though. The same can be done with fluiducts IIRC.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Fluctuating Ducts.. :getin:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, that's 309 BFSR quests now...

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I think i added an extra 0 to the end of my numbers, but it was 2am...

And again, there needs to be a comprehensive quest mod that just deals with all these pipes and tubes and ducts because they are all hidden. I still dont know how i found that one. It must be deep in the NEI. Does it exist in blightfall?

So many things ive learnt, Id actually be good at blightfall if i restarted.

Edit yeah numbers are off

Fluxduct is 200, then 800, then 8000

itemduct with redstone does 2000, so a significant improvement over the 2nd fluxduct

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 11, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I'm probably going to do some IC2 plant crossbreeding in NH. Anyone got any tips? Already found out you need to use weed-x on everything since weeds can apparently grow even on occupied sticks.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

I'm probably going to do some IC2 plant crossbreeding in NH. Anyone got any tips? Already found out you need to use weed-x on everything since weeds can apparently grow even on occupied sticks.

Only use weed-x on empty crop sticks, using it on crops will reduce the stats to 1. Also do not put weed-x in the cropmatron because it will just spray everything. The only things I would actually bother farming for is sticky reeds, coffee, and maybe terra wart, everything else is a waste of time because it can't really be automated, unless I missed something.

IC2 crops are really really needlessly complex and worthless, biome, height, dirt under it, surrounding water, and nearby plants all affect the outcome.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 11, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

Only use weed-x on empty crop sticks, using it on crops will reduce the stats to 1. Also do not put weed-x in the cropmatron because it will just spray everything. The only things I would actually bother farming for is sticky reeds, coffee, and maybe terra wart, everything else is a waste of time because it can't really be automated, unless I missed something.

IC2 crops are really really needlessly complex and worthless, biome, height, dirt under it, surrounding water, and nearby plants all affect the outcome.

Can't you just get a large number of the resource crops and farm them manually in large batches when needed? I mean, it's either this or bees for getting large amounts of TF boss resources.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Can't you just get a large number of the resource crops and farm them manually in large batches when needed? I mean, it's either this or bees for getting large amounts of TF boss resources.

Funny enough bees can and usually are a better producer than IC2 crops depending on how explodey Sengir decided to make the bees in your modpack and what bee mods are installed.

I remember in one server I helped get a bee farm going that was making a stack of diamonds a minute, and we had maybe 12 aparies, thats going to be significantly faster and easier to automate than whatever you can make with IC2 crops.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

Funny enough bees can and usually are a better producer than IC2 crops depending on how explodey Sengir decided to make the bees in your modpack and what bee mods are installed.

I remember in one server I helped get a bee farm going that was making a stack of diamonds a minute, and we had maybe 12 aparies, thats going to be significantly faster and easier to automate than whatever you can make with IC2 crops.

Well. Alright then. I guess I'll just get some stickreeds and be done with it. Bee breeding is going to be a huge pain in the rear end though... I'll probably try to automate crossbreeding what I can, and use Gendustry for anything that has particularly remote mutation chances or biome requirements.

Like, for example, it took me like 20 generations overall to get a breeding pair for my first mutation(Common).

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 11, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Bees are the one thing i keep trying to learn but never do. Ive tried bee happy like 3 or 4 times and i still dont have a clue.

Give me some basics!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

Bees are the one thing i keep trying to learn but never do. Ive tried bee happy like 3 or 4 times and i still dont have a clue.

Give me some basics!!
You probably looked at it and thought, "This just seems... so wrong. It seems like it would take me a year of constant babying to get to something that is worth anything. There must be something I'm missing!"

Nope, you got it right.

I only got them when I was banging on them in Agrarian Skies 1. In that case, the machinery in gendustry was configured to spit out fresh princesses every once in awhile. So I figured they were actually a decent enough thing. I remember going on mechaet's server, setting myself up some big-old building with a cute apiary up on the roof in one corner. I set up the bees and ... no princesses.

I remember posting on here about it and hearing the bad news. AS1 has that special snowflake configuration that generates the princesses, but that's not how it normally goes. So yeah, not only do you have to cross-breed, but you have to constantly pull more princesses from all around and work them through the genetic family tree to make the queens you need.