Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
So in hindsight, that Sagan/Kwaitkowski/Vanmarcke break was where the race was won. Wonder why the big group let those guys go away. It didn't look like they hit off that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

serious gaylord posted:

Sky are about to get in hot water.

I wonder if this will be like in Spain, where the footballers get doctored off the lists before the press gets to see anything.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

tylertfb posted:

So in hindsight, that Sagan/Kwaitkowski/Vanmarcke break was where the race was won. Wonder why the big group let those guys go away. It didn't look like they hit off that hard.

Because as always pro cyclists are a bit thick and their DS didnt tell them to chase it down? Cancellara knew at the end that he had the legs to close the 3 of them down at the beginning, and if Fabs had gone the rest would have followed.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Yeah, it was pretty strange. I guess everyone in that group looked at Cancellara and expected him to close it, and he was hoping someone else would do it.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
"It's always better to drop everybody, I think."

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Xabi posted:

Yeah, it was pretty strange. I guess everyone in that group looked at Cancellara and expected him to close it, and he was hoping someone else would do it.

Every Fabian Cancellara race since 2010.txt

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
"open jersey guy" was Dimitri Claeys was Antoine Demoitie's Wanty Groupe teammate :3:

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Rode with my aero jersey flapping in the wind on my ride today at the same time without knowing what was going on. Feel like there's a cosmic bond.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Paddyb posted:

lol this guy with the unzipped jersey still at the front of the Ronde

If it's really windy, could you call a mechanical for it and have the mechanic zip up your jersey? Not that you could do that on a really narrow classic route.

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so
Pantani stopped on the Galibier to put properly put on his rain jacket in '98, and he won that tour.

It was actually very nice weather outside today. Or so I'm told, there's no tv outside

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Told you all Sagan was getting into form. Good win for him. Very boring race though. I blame the route

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
When Cancellara canīt close down 15 seconds on a solo rider with 10k of road itīs an official changing of the guard.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Withnail posted:

When Cancellara canīt close down 15 seconds on a solo rider with 10k of road itīs an official changing of the guard.

Sagan's attack on the last climb was incredible, like he was on different gravity. Either that or Sep was horribly over-geared or stuck in the big ring.

https://youtu.be/0GAium61RVk?t=48

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I'm glad I stayed up to watch. The women's race was also really good, it's a pity they didn't show more tbh.
Canc rode well by anyone else's standards but poorly by his own so I don't know how that bodes for PR.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
poo poo race poo poo winner see ya at ruobaix

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Box Hill Strangler posted:

Sagan is loving awesome

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Should post this every time he wins a race this year.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Box Hill Strangler posted:

Didn't watch the race but :agreed:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/SadhbhOS/status/716922719347085312

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Don't know about y'all but I'm loving the Pais Vasco. Tons of climbing and dudes going hard. Also was stoked for Kittel to win the Scheldeprijs, he's so much more likeable than Cav, Viviani or that other guy.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Looking forward to a good GT season full of poo poo posting with you guys.

Sagan is only winning because Canc is getting too old.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Given Canc beat Sagan earlier in the season in a pretty head to head fashion id say he just got out raced last weekend. He should have gone on the break instead of staring at his teammate and assuming it would be brought back. And I'm sure part of it is being 9 years older than a dude who's the world champion who won that by basically doing the same thing. Means the margins are smaller for gently caress up.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
Cancellara just missed the move. He had the legs; he closed the gap to within 6 seconds of Sagan from two groups back on the Kwaremont. He thought Devolder would keep him close enough to make his move but Sagan was strong enough to stay away. I think it would have been extremely close - Cancellara couldn't pull him back even when the conditions were ideal - a flat TT into the finish. Setting up for a great Roubaix.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
drat. Diego Rosa with enough time to get off the bike, lift it over his head, and walk over the line for the stage win. Boss move.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
The Cavendish, Sagan, Kristoff sprint in robaix velodrome will be cool.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Withnail posted:

The Cavendish, Sagan, Kristoff sprint in robaix velodrome will be cool.

Cav will never make it with the leaders and if it's Sagan and Kristoff, Kristoff will take it running away.

I'm hoping for the domestique winner out of a break again this year. Another Van Summeren. Maybe Tony Martin?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Taylor Phinney

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Stuyven.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

African AIDS cum posted:

Taylor Phinney

Phinney Terpstra please.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What about Boonen?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Xabi posted:

What about Boonen?

I'd honestly rather watch a video of boonen drunk and coked up having fun than I would of him riding a bike :shrug:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'll be surprised if more than 20 riders finish tomorrow given the state of the course and the forecast.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Betcha Stybar could do something in these conditions. There hasn't been a muddy Paris Roubaix in a while.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

serious gaylord posted:

I'll be surprised if more than 20 riders finish tomorrow given the state of the course and the forecast.

Do you have an article to support that statement (in Dutch is fine)? Is the course really neglected and are we expecting rain?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Rojkir posted:

Do you have an article to support that statement (in Dutch is fine)? Is the course really neglected and are we expecting rain?

The cobbles were very very muddy at the start of the week and the organisers said they might be cutting one section out completely. The worst of it appears to have blown through early and the heavy rain is coming down this evening and overnight instead of tomorrow morning now though so they shouldn't be riding in the pissing rain at least. The weather has been poo poo all week in Northern France so its not like anythings had chance to dry out either.

Paddyb posted:

Betcha Stybar could do something in these conditions. There hasn't been a muddy Paris Roubaix in a while.

Theres a lot of people that seem to think hes in with a shot because of the state of the roads. I don't think hes got it in him myself. Sagan can ride through pretty much anything and Cancellara will pull something out his arse for sure.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
What time does the race start EST? I have a race at 8:30 so I'll be up at some god forsaken hour anyway.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Race is 4:40am til 11:00ish

Here, have some Advanced Cycling Stats

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MunCeLDGFSeBfAMei7x7FDz5noeG85t7p6TPEtDdHmk/edit?usp=sharing

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
I'm gonna go with Lars Boom as a surprise if he doesn't get hosed with mechanicals like the last few years. He seems to be in surprisingly good form coming in 11th in Flanders with 4 flats, one of which in the final. He hasn;t won poo poo since joining big doping so let's see what happens tomorrow.
What the hell is up with the former golden trio Stybar, Booenen, Terpstra. They seem soooooo weak

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
If the conditions are really lovely, I'm gonna pick Stannard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Withnail posted:

If the conditions are really lovely, I'm gonna pick Stannard.

God that would be horrible