Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Grendels Dad posted:

They had to show the origin again because of Martha. Batman snaps out of it upon realizing that he has become his father, he is going to get Martha killed because he wants to fight a guy with a gun like a dumbass.

A much shorter cut with one iconic image would be less jarring and work just as well. The pearls falling works nicely.

Speaking of dads, who the hell was Bruce calling dad in the Superman Zod fight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpxEmInvfg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
Daredevil Season 2
Re: Ninjas, I absolutely do not buy that Daredevil can't "see" them just because they can silence their heartbeats and move quietly. I can buy that maybe he can't predict their movements as well as normal, but it was made clear that he literally couldn't see these guys even when they were standing right in front of him. Doesn't he have kind of an echolocation-style view of the world around him? Like, if he can't see these ninjas because they're so silent, then he shouldn't be able to see any inanimate objects either - only things that are actively making noise. But we know that's not true, he can see the world around him just fine. He can read the raised ink from a piece of paper, he noticed sword marks in the walls at Karen's place, etc. The ninjas may be really quiet, but ambient sound waves should still bounce off of them, or the wind would make a sound blowing against their bodies. If nothing else, they would appear as areas of negative space, where they blocked other sounds from reaching him. It's just a frustrating lack of internal consistency.

In general, I feel like the final episode (and maybe a little bit of the second-to-final) just got kind of...sloppy and clichéd, compared to the rest of the season. The Blacksmith everyone's been talking about turns out to be, Scooby-Doo style, a one-scene character from earlier in the season, with little explanation of his backstory, his motivations, how he operates, etc - and then his story is immediately ended after all that buildup. The Punisher just happens to find a convenient cache of weapons and supplies immediately after completing his vendetta. They keep talking about the "Black Sky" and how dangerous the Hand will be if they get their hands on her, but the never explain what it means or what she can do. The Hand has a never-previously-mentioned white chick working for them who shows up for the final episode and then kind of disappears (also she was probably the worst actor of the season). After a season of loving Karen and condemning Elektra for killing people, Daredevil confesses his undying love for her, "you complete me" yadda yadda, even though she hasn't stopped killing people. Then her loving "Now I know what it is to be...good" was the hammiest thing ever. The giant stone coffin thing was kind of a Chekhov's Gun that never got fired; they never explained what all the blood was for, or why the blood donors were creepy and murderous, and at the end the coffin just had Elektra in it - implying that it was empty every other time we had seen it.

Zootopia
Where the gently caress are all the non-mammals? They even called attention to it a few times, like "missing mammals report" instead of "missing persons report", or "Zootopia is a place where all mammals can live together in harmony." But then some of the names of restaurants in the tundra area implied that they served fish, so maybe mammals are the only animals that are evolved enough to be sentient? Maybe they just wanted to save some material for a sequel?

Also, I love how the movie portrays nothing wrong with the fact that a police officer ends up as a personal friend of a known mafia boss, but I get that it's a fun joke in a kids' movie.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Throwing Turtles posted:

A much shorter cut with one iconic image would be less jarring and work just as well. The pearls falling works nicely.

He wasnt' saying Dad he was saying the guy's name

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

Then how did the patient zero guy get out?

I can't recall how the series did it, but in the book he was the gate guard so was far enough away from the initial event to get "only" a lethal dose.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Since Spiderman keeps getting rebooted and we keep having to relearn his backstory, why not have the ultimate origin film so there's to retell it : It's just Uncle Ben in his car getting shot over and over again, and he's played by a different actor every 30 seconds. Sometimes he's a different race, sometimes he's a different gender.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Since Spiderman keeps getting rebooted and we keep having to relearn his backstory, why not have the ultimate origin film so there's to retell it : It's just Uncle Ben in his car getting shot over and over again, and he's played by a different actor every 30 seconds. Sometimes he's a different race, sometimes he's a different gender.

Montage of spiders being mutated in a hundred different ways...

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Han Solo stumbles and knocks Uncle Ben into the Sarlaac pit. A conveyor belt delivers an endless line of Uncle Bens to the abattoir. Uncle Ben is teleported to the Enterprise, dying as his living copy appears in the transporter room. Our bloodlust is never sated.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Uncle Ben dies from autoerotic asphyxiation and theres an awkward 15 minute sequence where Peter tries to tell MJ but she doesn't want to hear it.

Uncle Ben dies from severe anal bleeding after a sex game with aunt may goes really really bad

Uncle Ben dies from severe anal bleeding after a sex game with Peter goes really really well

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Uncle Ben travels back in time to prevent his own death but loses his memory, becomes a robber and murders himself. This breaks the universe and so it resets itself and the cycle begins again.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

oldpainless posted:

Uncle Ben dies from autoerotic asphyxiation and theres an awkward 15 minute sequence where Peter tries to tell MJ but she doesn't want to hear it.

Uncle Ben dies from severe anal bleeding after a sex game with aunt may goes really really bad

Uncle Ben dies from severe anal bleeding after a sex game with Peter goes really really well

Fil5000 posted:

Uncle Ben travels back in time to prevent his own death but loses his memory, becomes a robber and murders himself. This breaks the universe and so it resets itself and the cycle begins again.

Literally all of these are better than the odd guilt-trip inducing carjacking in the first spider man.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Fil5000 posted:

How has that not already happened somehow in the comics?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

How has that not already happened somehow in the comics?

It probably has. Everything ELSE has. Spidey sold his marriage to the devil to save aunt may from death and Gwen Stacy birthed the bastard twin offspring of Norman Osbourne for fucks sake.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Aunt May is actually Peter's mom after she slept with Richard Parker.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Fil5000 posted:

It probably has. Everything ELSE has. Spidey sold his marriage to the devil to save aunt may from death and Gwen Stacy birthed the bastard twin offspring of Norman Osbourne for fucks sake.

Isn't she like a hundred and twelve? What a terrible deal.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Patattack posted:

Zootopia
Where the gently caress are all the non-mammals?

The sequel.

Seriously I'm betting the sequel's going to be about evil reptiles or something wanting to be part of the city and then it's a metaphor for some kind of acceptance.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Fil5000 posted:

Gwen Stacy birthed the bastard twin offspring of Norman Osbourne for fucks sake.

Isn't she dead?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Isn't she dead?

When in the long history of comic books has that ever been an impediment to doing absolutely anything? Sleeping through your alarm is literally a bigger hassle than death in comics.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
In Big Trouble in Little China this always bothered me: Lo Pan is supposed to be without form. So why is it when Burton is driving through the alleyway right after the first fight between the Chang Sing and the Wing Kong, he manages to hit Lo Pan with his truck?

IIRC an audible 'thunk' occurs.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Oldstench posted:

In Big Trouble in Little China this always bothered me: Lo Pan is supposed to be without form. So why is it when Burton is driving through the alleyway right after the first fight between the Chang Sing and the Wing Kong, he manages to hit Lo Pan with his truck?

I have never seen mortal kombat the movie. Why did they even make a mortal kombat the movie? That movie should have just been Big Trouble in Little China, verbatim.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

"Childe Ben to the Dark Tower Came."

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

quote:

Zootopia
Where the gently caress are all the non-mammals? They even called attention to it a few times, like "missing mammals report" instead of "missing persons report", or "Zootopia is a place where all mammals can live together in harmony." But then some of the names of restaurants in the tundra area implied that they served fish, so maybe mammals are the only animals that are evolved enough to be sentient? Maybe they just wanted to save some material for a sequel?

Also, I love how the movie portrays nothing wrong with the fact that a police officer ends up as a personal friend of a known mafia boss, but I get that it's a fun joke in a kids' movie.

I spent the entire movie going "but what do the carnivores eat? WHAT DO THE CARNIVORES EAT????" which wasn't even given any kind of passing explanation so by the end of the movie I just assumed they ate birds and fish, which apparently aren't sentient. I've heard that the official explanation is that they eat bugs though so maybe fish and birds are sentient in that world after all.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Organza Quiz posted:

I spent the entire movie going "but what do the carnivores eat? WHAT DO THE CARNIVORES EAT????" which wasn't even given any kind of passing explanation so by the end of the movie I just assumed they ate birds and fish, which apparently aren't sentient. I've heard that the official explanation is that they eat bugs though so maybe fish and birds are sentient in that world after all.

Donuts.

Fish and bugs and maybe birds aside, I figure that mostly food is just food with varying ingredients since Nick can eat tiny cake and Clawhauser can eat a ton of stuff that real world cheetahs can't, although most cheetahs in the movie and out of it presumably eat more protein and less carbs.

Maybe felines have to take a taurine supplement and there's multivitamins for various species.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Throwing Turtles posted:

But it's about more than just the pearls. The origin has direct ramifications for the resolution of their conflict. Showing it is necessary because it's one of the main motivations this character has.

Oldstench posted:

Bad special effect/editing. Burton says he ran straight through him right after.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Memento posted:

There was a certain percentage of people that survived the global plague-pocalypse, maybe he would have been one of those if it wasn't the more aggressive version. As it was he only made it out far enough to make sure everyone else was hosed.

This is why you should have a no-nonsense drill sergeant type with his hand over a button that says "apply thermite to entire base, 1 lb per square foot" at all times, when loving with bioweapons.

he made it out because there was a fault in the automatic lockdown or whatever it was, he was supposed to be locked in his monitoring booth and sealed in the facility with everyone else

in the book anyway, the miniseries looked dumb so i never watched it :shobon:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Organza Quiz posted:

There is a passing explanation: there is a fish market/ restaurant in Tundra Town.

I think the fact that all the people are mammals implies that non-mammal animals are nonsentient and still prey. There wasn't a single bird or fish or reptile shown in the movie or mentioned out loud though. The whole question is really a pointless distraction from the themes of the movie.

Another interesting question is: where are the primates? Clearly, in a world with no primates, every mammal gets speech and bipedal locomotion.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Throwing Turtles posted:

The guy he was on the phone with, who was still inside the Wayne Enterprises building. Character's name was Jack.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Trent posted:

The whole question is really a pointless distraction from the themes of the movie.

New thread title?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My roommate watched a bunch of Beavis and Butthead recently, and it irrationally bothered me when they would roast a band that they should actually like (King Diamond, Accept, etc.). Obviously that would be a far less funny show though.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

Nuebot posted:

The sequel.

Seriously I'm betting the sequel's going to be about evil reptiles or something wanting to be part of the city and then it's a metaphor for some kind of acceptance.

Organza Quiz posted:

Zootopia 2: Gazing into the Abyss of a Fyshtopian Nightmare. Starring Nemo and Doris.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Melaneus posted:

Zootopia 2: Gazing into the Abyss of a Fyshtopian Nightmare. Starring Nemo and Doris.

I'm imagining a scenario where some restaurant magnate has been keeping the fish/bird/reptile population in secret slavery, followed by a Soylent Green-esque reveal where the mammals are horrified to learn that they've been eating sentient beings all this time.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Lost World: Zootopia

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A cross between Little Mermaid and Troy McClure - Massive scandal because Chief Bogo has been screwing a dolphin.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Patattack posted:

I'm imagining a scenario where some restaurant magnate has been keeping the fish/bird/reptile population in secret slavery, followed by a Soylent Green-esque reveal where the mammals are horrified to learn that they've been eating sentient beings all this time.

You mean sapient. We eat sentient beings all the time. A cow is sentient.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Henchman of Santa posted:

My roommate watched a bunch of Beavis and Butthead recently, and it irrationally bothered me when they would roast a band that they should actually like (King Diamond, Accept, etc.). Obviously that would be a far less funny show though.

On the flipside, Mike Judge would write them to really get into weird, goofy songs that they should hate. When it comes to the videos it seems to just go by the single rule "if it's funnier this way we roll with it." Beavis & Butt-Head reacting to Ween was probably my favorite moment on that show. "These guys have no future."

That rule didn't carry over to the revival season because no matter which MTV reality show they watched it was always funnier to have them tear it to shreds.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Iimm about Jessica Jones first season... She lets like a dozen people die so she can save one girl a fifteen year prison sentence. I thought maybe she had a hangup about killing people, in typical super hero fashion, but then 2/3 through she doesn't hesitate to promise to kill the big bad.

This show is a writing mess. Total poo poo spaghetti.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The fact that more people seem to die on this crusade is actually a major plot point of the series though?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Not really? It's like in breaking bad you realize you have been rooting for the villain, but in this case no one acknowledges this and the hero is an incomprehensible mess of contradictory motivations and tones.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Danger Mahoney posted:

Iimm about Jessica Jones first season... She lets like a dozen people die so she can save one girl a fifteen year prison sentence. I thought maybe she had a hangup about killing people, in typical super hero fashion, but then 2/3 through she doesn't hesitate to promise to kill the big bad.

This show is a writing mess. Total poo poo spaghetti.

"Why didnt the character who is shown to have been deeply traumatised by being forced to kill once take the first opportunity to jump back aboard the murder train instead of desperately trying to find a non-murder solution?" - a person with a fantastic grasp of how humans work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

"and how could she promise to kill the person directly responsible for said trauma? so weird"