Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Exhaustion is a really bad, poorly-thought out status effect, and making it so the Berserker winds up inflicting it upon themselves in order to use their signature ability is one of the dumbest decisions in a game full of dumb decisions, it's like 3E classic Monk levels of not bothering to think things through.

Exhaustion should be inflicted every time you cast a spell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
A constitution saving throw of 10+spell level.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tunicate posted:

Exhaustion should be inflicted every time you cast a spell
That's essentially how Tunnels & Trolls' magic system worked; casting a spell drained your STR. Because some spells had variable STR costs depending on the target, which you wouldn't know in advance, it was entirely possible to kill yourself by casting one.

I quite like the idea of making casters take a CON save every time they cast a spell, but on the other hand I'd rather take out unfun poo poo like Exhaustion entirely. Let the barbarian go crazy.

Edit: because T&T used STR to fuel spells, it actually meant all high-level casters were Muscle Wizards!

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 9, 2016

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

If I'm remembering correctly, the main character in the Pool Of Radiance novel was a wizard girl who turned herself into a Muscle Wizard by accident with a wish, and it was a minor plot point that she could cast much more taxing spells without worrying about loving her body up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Huh, I wasn't aware of any of this, guess things are rougher than I thought.

I was wrong, Wizards of the Coast has an amazing slate of new products that will introduce Dungeons and Dragons to new players!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
My god, the Bonnier Publishing website is awful.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Dungeonology is a miserable name. There's no way to pronounce it that doesn't make you sound like a ponce.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Dungeonology is a miserable name. There's no way to pronounce it that doesn't make you sound like a ponce.

Well, it is the UK book trade after all.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I'm def buying that coloring book for my son. Gotta start em early.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Payndz posted:

Edit: because T&T used STR to fuel spells, it actually meant all high-level casters were Muscle Wizards!
The Fantasy Trip (Steve Jackson's first RPG design) was the same - all high-level wizards looked like circus strongmen. It's the reason why GURPS has both a Strength and a Health stat.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

When do we get the beach towels, the wood-burning set, and the latch-hook kits?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/718887102016987137

On the one hand, it's cool to see a guy who makes sorta-popular videos promoting the 5e Point Buy analysis from this thread. On the other hand, it's kinda telling to see that his takeaway is, "Not surprisingly the takeaway of a system that is so disparate between its top and bottom end is to discard the notion of 'challenge'. You basically need to think more broadly about engagement, team storybuilding, stuff like that."

Or, to put it another way, "the takeaway is to discard the system and think more broadly about how to have fun without the system" it

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Well... that happened.

So I just came home from a 5e session. About the third or fourth into the campaign I think. Can you guess what the DM said at the end of this session?
He hates the system and entirely gave up on running it. And this guy bought the three core books sight unseen out of sheer enthusiasm for D&D in general. Think I sabotaged him perhaps? Haha, no, actually I helped explain the system, brought snacks, designed balanced encounters for him when he was pressed for time, and otherwise did everything in my power to help things along. Still wasn't enough. Even a casual DM just couldn't stand running this game for more than a few sessions.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Kurieg posted:

No worse than demonology and everyone loves sounding edgy and dark saying that.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Sage Genesis posted:

Well... that happened.

So I just came home from a 5e session. About the third or fourth into the campaign I think. Can you guess what the DM said at the end of this session?
He hates the system and entirely gave up on running it. And this guy bought the three core books sight unseen out of sheer enthusiasm for D&D in general. Think I sabotaged him perhaps? Haha, no, actually I helped explain the system, brought snacks, designed balanced encounters for him when he was pressed for time, and otherwise did everything in my power to help things along. Still wasn't enough. Even a casual DM just couldn't stand running this game for more than a few sessions.

Could you be more specific about what happened?

I don't doubt your experience I'm just curious what would make a DM check out like that. I don't love the system either but I'm sure I could run something fun if I wanted to tinker with it more than a little.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Mendrian posted:

Could you be more specific about what happened?

I'll try but it's non-specific stuff that made him give up.

The real problem, I guess, is our own playstyle; sometimes we just have only one encounter per day. It's just how the story works out sometimes. But it turns out that 5e really wants to have 6-8 encounters per day instead. So that didn't work out and balancing encounters was pretty difficult for the DM. Even when he objectively might've constructed a suitable encounter it still felt dreadfully boring, dreadfully lethal, or both to him. There was just no way for him to really run the game the way he wanted it to and have things work smoothly, basically.

And when you consider that all he really wanted was "run one fight per day and have it work fine" that's a bit of an issue.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Sage Genesis posted:

Even a casual DM just couldn't stand running this game for more than a few sessions.
That's probably who's going to hate it the most. It's aggressively unfriendly to anyone looking to casually run the game, unless they're the kind of DM who's so casual that they don't bother reading the book and just wing it all anyway.

Probably the single most offensive change from 4e to 5e was tossing out elegant monster design rules for a pruned version of 3e's, which is a system that even 3e fans aren't terribly enamoured with. Hell, the people who wrote 3e's monster rules were all "yeah, it's cool in concept, everything being 'naturalistic', but almost impossible to actually use" by MM4. For the "empower the DM" edition 5e sure as poo poo made it hard to actually DM.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

Jenny Angel posted:

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/718887102016987137

On the one hand, it's cool to see a guy who makes sorta-popular videos promoting the 5e Point Buy analysis from this thread. On the other hand, it's kinda telling to see that his takeaway is, "Not surprisingly the takeaway of a system that is so disparate between its top and bottom end is to discard the notion of 'challenge'. You basically need to think more broadly about engagement, team storybuilding, stuff like that."

Or, to put it another way, "the takeaway is to discard the system and think more broadly about how to have fun without the system" it

Neat. Before I post that to the larger world of the internet though, I was hoping for a bit of feedback from fellow goons. Anything I can change/add to make this better?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Sage Genesis posted:

The real problem, I guess, is our own playstyle; sometimes we just have only one encounter per day. It's just how the story works out sometimes. But it turns out that 5e really wants to have 6-8 encounters per day instead. So that didn't work out and balancing encounters was pretty difficult for the DM. Even when he objectively might've constructed a suitable encounter it still felt dreadfully boring, dreadfully lethal, or both to him. There was just no way for him to really run the game the way he wanted it to and have things work smoothly, basically.

And when you consider that all he really wanted was "run one fight per day and have it work fine" that's a bit of an issue.

Ah yeah that makes perfect sense.

"I want to run as many or as few encounters as I want in one day, and I want those encounters to be equally challenging/important" is never going to be compatible with 5e. You could in theory have one or the other if your expectations allowed for it, but never both. Thanks, that's actually really helpful. For a lot of people, I think.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Sage Genesis posted:

This might not solve everything, but separate the "game mechanics day" from "real time day" is a thing that has worked really well for us in virtually every system we have tried it in. This lets the DM control the pace of the game and encounters, lets you do stuff like have a gruelling 5 day travel between cities (ie its all one mechanical day) and have encounters along the way but not have everything reset mechanically every 24 hours. On the other end of the scale make it so "long rests" are things that can be triggered by something other than camp up for 8 hours (magic shrine, pray for 5 mins, bang, long rest done). This lets you have long protracted dungeon crawls without having to go back to town after every half dozen encounters.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Beens posted:

This might not solve everything, but separate the "game mechanics day" from "real time day" is a thing that has worked really well for us in virtually every system we have tried it in. This lets the DM control the pace of the game and encounters, lets you do stuff like have a gruelling 5 day travel between cities (ie its all one mechanical day) and have encounters along the way but not have everything reset mechanically every 24 hours. On the other end of the scale make it so "long rests" are things that can be triggered by something other than camp up for 8 hours (magic shrine, pray for 5 mins, bang, long rest done). This lets you have long protracted dungeon crawls without having to go back to town after every half dozen encounters.
Yeah, this works for a lot of games even outside of 5e.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

That's great advice, I'm sure it's listed in the DMG. Right guys?

Guys?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr Beens posted:

I think the implication is that they're going to play something else. This is a feelgood story.

That said it's good general advice and explicitly how Wfrp3e works.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 10, 2016

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scyther posted:

Guys?
Remember, you can make your game gritty and realistic by making short rests take eight hours, and turn it in to "epic heroism" by making them last five minutes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Scyther posted:

Guys?
A hilariously lovely version which breaks the game even worse is, yes.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

The Crotch posted:

Remember, you can make your game gritty and realistic by making short rests take eight hours, and turn it in to "epic heroism" by making them last five minutes.

Just remember that if you do that, you've got to let wizards get all their spells back after an hour of rest. Because of course that makes sense.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

Just remember that if you do that, you've got to let wizards get all their spells back after an hour of rest. Because of course that makes sense.
ah, good, so it only punishes martials, I was worried there for a moment

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I find it difficult to convince people that martial classes are also resource limited in the form of Hit Points before they're too dead to swing their sword forever, because HP is a thing casters also technically possess.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nihilarian posted:

ah, good, so it only punishes martials, I was worried there for a moment

To clarify, the DMG suggests two alternate rest systems. "Gritty realism" means eight hour short rests and one week for long. "Epic heroism" is a five-minute short rest and one hour long.

I can't imagine either of those methods being anything but awful.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Thanks for the tips guys. We did think of those ourselves but the DM is just completely soured on 5e at this point. He refuses to run it anymore and we'll have to find another game to play.

All in all... I think I'll chalk this up as a win.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sage Genesis posted:

Thanks for the tips guys. We did think of those ourselves but the DM is just completely soured on 5e at this point. He refuses to run it anymore and we'll have to find another game to play.

All in all... I think I'll chalk this up as a win.

Has he said anything about what he plans to run instead? HeroQuest? Hackmaster? Dungeon World?

Comedy option: Numenera

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

gradenko_2000 posted:

Has he said anything about what he plans to run instead? HeroQuest? Hackmaster? Dungeon World?

Comedy option: Numenera

Yes, he has. And the answer is: nothing.

I'll have to run something instead. He's just done DMing for a while, though that's also due to new job and second child on the way and such. It's cool, I don't mind running games.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sage Genesis posted:

Yes, he has. And the answer is: nothing.

I'll have to run something instead. He's just done DMing for a while, though that's also due to new job and second child on the way and such. It's cool, I don't mind running games.
Run dungeon world in the most chill, prepwork-what's-prepwork way imaginable.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

Run dungeon world in the most chill, prepwork-what's-prepwork way imaginable.

Alternately, if you like 4E but want something a little less work-intensive, give Strike! a try.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I'm running Strike on a weekly basis with two children.

I mean it's an online game with bite-size two hour sessions after the kids go to bed, but hey, it's something.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Is this a good thread to workshop character concepts and homebrewing, or would that be more at home somewhere else?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Is this a good thread to workshop character concepts and homebrewing, or would that be more at home somewhere else?

People poo poo on 5.e a lot but I think if you want some honest criticism on a homebrew this is a fine place to do it.

Just be clear about what kind of criticism you want.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Somebody mentioned balancing high end casters with exhaustion levels a while back. Was that a fully fleshed out homebrew or just an idea in the moment?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Maybe Dark Sun would make the caster imbalance slightly more tolerable, since (at least in public) if you cast spells and poo poo starts to decay all around you and/or you cast around someone who knows what arcane magic looks like, you're probably hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Going to continue our biweekly 5e campaign in a couple hours. We get to interrogate and probably kill a traitor in the party. The most fun parts of the system are the non-combat parts and it makes me sad my group went with 5e over Dungeon World :(