Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Harrower posted:

Some times the best you can do is bait and switch creepy internet weirdos with disturbingly loud you tube videos.

You can't just say this and then stop, give some examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Is there supposed to be someone speaking here? I can hear the game sounds...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I am Unemployed no longer! I've accepted the position of Pantokrator. I hear it's got a great benefits package.

Unemployed was an odd game in that there were only six thrones, with five needed to win. The key to my victory was the old saw: location, location, location.

I was playing LA Pangaea. As you can see, three of the thrones were more or less equidistant from Pangaea itself. When I saw that, I knew it was going to be a throne victory for me or nothing. I initially ignored thrones #1 and #2 and bum rushed #3 with the intention of blowing through it to get to #4 ASAP. Along the way I made friendly overtures to Ulm, Jomon, and Atlantis to buy time to push my expansion as far east as possible. That more or less worked, but then I ran into Jsoh's Ragha airforce. He pushed me back, brushing aside my attempts at diplomacy without a word, and landed on throne #4. Actually, if he'd kept pushing me then I'd probably have been screwed, but an attack on him from the north by T'ien Chi distracted him and he declared a unilateral truce, instructing me to go attack Jomon.

Well, surprisingly enough, I wasn't really in the mood to go attack an ally (or at least a neutral non-combatant) at the say so of the guy who'd been invading me. So instead I mustered my strength, and when his main flying circus was far enough away, I struck, seizing back the fort I had built next to Throne #4 as well as the one Ragha had built on the throne proper. Meanwhile, I built a second decent army in and around my capital, and used it to push up and grab throne #1, while an army of ghosts I'd summoned floated into the lake to grab throne #2. Those moves happened at the same time, so when I used my Pretender to claim throne #2, I was hoping that my northern neighbors would assume I'd claimed throne #1 while my southern ones would assume I'd claimed #2. There was no fooling Ragha, though, because he had Eyes of God up and should have known that I was sitting on four thrones, with five to win.

Naturally, another war between myself and Ragha broke out, and we fenced along the eastern part of my nation, with my making sure that throne #4's fort was always stuffed to the gills with harpies so that sieging was impossible. A few Endless Cauldrons to handle supply meant that once I had a fort up it was staying mine in perpetuity.

Then came my second break. Ragha decided that Ulm creating vampires was too big a threat (or at least so he claimed) and declared another unilateral truce. Now it was possible that he was planning to screw me from the start because the course his main army took went through Ulm towards my backfield, but whichever it was didn't matter to me, because by heading south and away from my best armies, he game me a path to victory.

As you can see on the map, I took the green line straight through his poorly defended backfield straight for throne #5. I split my forces, sending ahead an airborne assault led by a Queen of Elemental Air, my Harpy Queen, and a whole host of harpies, springhawks, manticores, and air elementals. They leapfrogged to the throne fort, held by Midgard at the time, and started sieging it out while the rest of my army marched by land. Things got hot at that point, with a counterattack by Ragha breaking my airborne force, but much of it retreated to the space my land army had taken the turn before. The recombined army took back the throne space, and stormed it the next turn.

That was the signal, and my Pretender teleported in the next turn, and claimed the fifth throne the turn after for the win.

Looking at it, you can see that Ragha had stormed through my backfield as well as reclaimed most of the provinces I'd used to get to throne #5, but by that point I didn't care. Every throne by that time had a castle filled with flying defenders, and no matter how many of my PDs he ran over, I was taking the world. If it came to it, I had a reconquest army of Vine Ogres led by an Awakened Tarrasque starting to take back territory, but that was pretty much just for shits and giggles. As I'd planned from the beginning, this was going to be a throne victory or nothing.

This time, it was victory. :tipshat:

Lessons learned:

Can't Siege 'em - Pangaea has access to lots of cheap flyers, nature magic to boost supply, and the way I play it, lots of growth. All of which means that anything less than overwhelming force won't have much chance sieging out a Pangaea fortress, even if the fortresses themselves are usually cheap crap. If you give Pangaea time to grab a throne and build a fort on it, you're going to have a bitch of a time ever taking it away from them.

Can't Domkill 'em - On similar lines, Pangaea's half price temples makes it pretty darned easy by midgame to put a temple everywhere which makes domkilling them hard for anything short of a full blood sacrifice engine.

Diplomatic diplomacy - So yeah, I don't ICQ. I haven't got time to hang around for very long online, and the few times I have been there, nothing in particular was going on, and the guy who'd demanded I get on ICQ wasn't even online when I did. The in-game message system, while clunky and slow, was good enough in Unemployed to get me non-agg with my initial neighbors. So that was fine. What you shouldn't do, I suspect, is play it thug style. Ragha's initial attack on me was effective...but also aggravating. So aggravating, in fact, that when Ragha subsequently demanded truces with me, I wasn't going to go fight someone else. I was going to build up and fight back against the guy who was pissing me off. Which was Ragha. Granted, it helped that Ragha was between me and the final throne I needed for victory, but his undiplomatic style insured that I wasn't going to look on his demands favorably. Sell him nature gems? No way in hell. :rolleyes:

Good Luck - I ran with a Luck 3 build and it really helped get spell access. I got one fire mage and a squad of air mages. I had no less than three Death mages of different varieties show up and volunteer for service. These last were critical because they were what got me the ghosts to storm underwater with.

Let's Hear it for the Ladies - Dryad Hoplites are awesome. If you look on the east side of the map, you can see a fortress of mine being sieged by AI Atlantis. That fort was where my first real expansion army ran out of gas. That was on the strength of dryad hoplites backed up by satyr crossbowmen. True, they don't hold up against Ragha's ridiculous griffon cav, but pretty much everything else they ran into, they ran over.

Knowing is Half the Battle - Centaur sages! Ninety gold and one resource for fourteen research a turn in my Magic 3 dom? Yes, please!

And now, the graphs. I'm only showing the four players who made it through to the end without going AI, because it's clearer that way.

Provinces - You can see the point where my initial expansion ended with Ragha kicking me in the balls. Then the "peace" where I built up, my counterattack, the second "peace" where he gutted Ulm like a fish, and the bit at the end where I surged towards the last throne and quit caring about his armies in my backfield.

Forts - I like a lot of 'em. You can see the dip where Ragha took one away from me. That was actually a sore spot for me. He sent me the truce request...then stormed my fort afterwards! That was when it was clear that he had no intention of playing nice, and that he was simply treating me like an already beaten subject. Which meant it was time to plan the revolt.

Income - The downside to the Luck plan was that to make it work ( and to pay for a lot of the other scales I ran with) I went full Turmoil. Which meant that my income was never quite what you'd like it to be, despite maximum Productivity and Growth. Still, Luck does get you some big treasure hordes every now again, which helps compensate a little.

Gems - Aggressive site searching plus Mother Oak gave me hundreds of gems, most of which I spent in the last year or so on the final push.

Research - Did I mention that I love my centaur sages? Because I totally love my centaur sages. Dozens of these guys spread out among all those unsiegeable forts researching their little hearts out made my late game go. I ended with Conj 9, Constuct 7, Enchant 6, and everything else 5 except for Blood, which I ignored.

Dominion - Temples, temples everywhere, and not a spot to pray. Actually, looking over the final stats I may have overdone the temple building somewhat. :shrug:

And remember, this is LA Pan. No maenads. This is mostly defensive harpies and a few Animal Hordes cast in critical defensive sieges.

So that was Unemployed. While I've racked up a few wins back in Dom3, this is my first multiplayer victory in Dominions 4. Thanks to NuclearMonkee for the server and Jsoh for hosting. I know I gave you some poo poo here, but the game wouldn't have been nearly as interesting without a nemesis to hate, and you served that role perfectly. Good game, sir. Thanks very much to the other players, particularly to Slaan and GenericOverusedName who both hung on to the bitter end, and to Carcer who only went AI near the very end.

After sixty turns, exactly five years in game, just over two months real time, Unemployed has come to end. Thank you, and good night.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Now, to be fair, Ragha didn't gut me as Ulm. Tien Ch'i gutted me because I had my army cooped up then destroyed in a siege battle against Ragha while Tien's horsies took all my now undefended provinces.

Which was bullshit because I thought I had a peaceful border with Tien Ch'i negotiated early on (tbf it was long past the 1 year NAP) and was paying tribute to Ragha to keep him off my back. I wasn't even making vampires at the time. I only had 6 Ulm vamp count and not a single vamp lord :argh:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
you won that game because carcer just stopped playing. i pulled back off of the fifth throne because he was my ally and it was his and then he disappeared and then went ai. i could have reinforced and easily beaten your pretty mediocre army . i had complete superiority if i had like 3 mages in a fight because you had just a bunch of regular rear end troops. im insanely dumb and thought that that guy would do something instead of do nothing

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Play against Baudin until you are good enough to play against the AI.

Extremely accurate.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

jsoh posted:

you won that game because carcer just stopped playing. i pulled back off of the fifth throne because he was my ally and it was his and then he disappeared and then went ai. i could have reinforced and easily beaten your pretty mediocre army . i had complete superiority if i had like 3 mages in a fight because you had just a bunch of regular rear end troops. im insanely dumb and thought that that guy would do something instead of do nothing

You know, if you were a better partner, maybe your ally wouldn't abandon you? Just a thought. Seems to me your hostile diplomatic style might be a hole in your game. :colbert:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Carcer seems to have disappeared from all my games, and the internet as a whole. Which even for Jsoh is impressive.

To be fair though I know I can rely on Jsoh to be a carcerous plague on his neighbours so I'm generally very happy to deal if he's on the other side of the map.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Hi I was TC. I joined this game entirely on a last minute 'eh why the gently caress not' spur of the moment thought, presumably while drunk. Here is my strange tale.

Part 1: The Plan
The Earth Snake pretender chassis was banned, so I decided to take an awake asian dragon and give it earth magic and pretend it was an earth snake anyways.

You may notice that it doesn't have any loving earth magic in dragon form there. This is because I am a dumbshit who forgot that dragons have -2 paths to their not normal paths in dragon form. I gave him Earth 2 in an attempt to save some points. This is why you should run at least a few turns of a test singleplayer game to make sure you aren't completely retarded.

That was my entire plan. Have an Erf Snek. And I hosed it up before I even started the game.

As for the scales, I probably should have taken slightly less Order and did more Growth. I almost never take Misfortune in games because it tends to gently caress me over, so that was a huge gamble for me. Fortunately it turns out that TC's pd is actually pretty loving great and can destroy ronin and barbarian invasions all the time. I went Prod 1 because I knew TC had some decent armored guys that cost resources.

Part 2: Early Game

My immediate neighbors were Utgard (Density), Ragha (jsoh), Ulm (Slaan) and a pond of water that Atlantis (kitfox) was quickly splashing around in. I decided I wanted to focus on Utgard and shoving a billion lances and arrows into his garmhirdings' faces. Ulm came around and asked for a truce / NAP early on. I knew it was LA Ulm, and that that is a horrible thing to let get big on account of blood and vampires but I also didn't think I could take him out early on. So I accepted and planned on getting big enough to crush him hopefully once the time came. Or get crushed by him. Atlantis was fine to let me have a handful of water provs that I took with some merman indies I had but in general we never really interacted much.

Midgard and I ended up jumping on Utgard at the same time, we did a little bit of coordination to attack at the same time and it was fine. We kind of ended up massively kicking his rear end. Example battle:

He couldn't really put up a fight against me at all, so imagine my surprise when suddenly I get messaged on IRC after barely a few turns in.

code:
Density: NAP me in unemployed
GenericOverusedName: gimme a reason
Density: you get to keep the territories you took from me and I get to gently caress your biggest threat
GenericOverusedName: ulm?
GenericOverusedName: cause it's ulm
Density: oh
Density: I was thinking midgard
GenericOverusedName: midgard is second
Density: I think it's a good deal for you
GenericOverusedName: I'm worried if I turn around he'll go and stab at me though
Density: I can keep them busy
GenericOverusedName: yes you can
GenericOverusedName: alright
Those last statements there? I actually thought it was true. I wanted Utgard to cripple Midgard or at least make him massively waste his resources and then I could continue a steamroller of horsemans and take them both hopefully. I was worried about Midgard because it is A Blood Nation, and Blood Nations are Bad Things especially in late age. Turns out I was absolutely mistaken. A couple of turns later he messages me again saying he's going to go AI and I can have what is left of his stuff. Unfortunately because I am a complete idiot I had already turned my gaze elsewhere...

Part 3: ZHAYEDANS

Ragha was another neighbor of mine who had Blood. Actually, all my neighbors had some Blood. Blood is bad. But I had a NAP with Ulm, and Ragha was getting awfully big, so I decided to zergrush his poo poo with my piles of hundreds of barbarian horsemans.

I neglected to realize that holy gently caress, Zhayedans are loving insane, especially when double blessed. While I managed to grab a large chunk of land initially, as soon as his pile of horsebirbs swooped down I almost immediately got my poo poo kicked in. It was bad, even with my mages spamming destruction to break their armor and stuff. He quickly tunneled deep into my territory and pretty soon I had a massive pile of these fuckers sitting on my capitol. But then I realized something incredible: He only is using one guy to lead them around and bless them. So I shat out Seeking Arrows at the besieging army, sent some horsemans to cut off all the possible retreat provinces, and broke the siege.

With nobody to bless them, Zhayedans go from loving bullshit to merely difficult, and I had the magic to deal with difficult. The battle summary says a few of his guys survived, but they all died after the battle because they had nowhere to retreat to. I of course went immediately to gloating and celebrating this victory and thinking I was unstoppable because really that is one loving amazing confidence boost right there. I grabbed back a bunch of my lands and celebrated way too hard. Jsoh recruited more Zhayedans from his cap over those turns and we entered a big stalemate with both of our armies sitting on the borders glaring at each other. He needed to be defending to get that first turn bless in to kick my rear end, and I needed the first turn to break his horsebirb's armor and poke them full of lance charges. Eventually we declared a truce, mostly after jsoh convinced / reminded me that Ulm was still in the game and presumably doing Ulmish Vampire poo poo.

Part 4: Vampires?
Turns out Ulm actually was a huge pushover. I had no idea what he had been up to in the past 45 turns or so but it turns out it wasn't all that much. I only ever saw about 4 vampires total. Ragha struck first, which caused Slaan to move all his armies to defend that, so I swooped in behind with, you guessed it, Barbarian Heavy Horsemen (and some sacreds). I probably should have thought about maybe transitioning away from the very expensive horsemans that were devouring all of my gold with their upkeep costs around the time I got some killy battlemagic going, but I'm not the brightest person out there. Besides, barbarian horsemen with mages to bust up enemy armor mulch up thralls and even Ulmish armies pretty well, because they mulch most anything besides insane sacreds pretty well. Oh, did I mention that Ragha put up Burden of Time as a part of this invasion? I didn't know he was going to do that, and I was pretty unhappy about it. I still don't understand what the hell he was thinking but it sucked. Income went into the shitter for everyone, especially me. With my massive upkeep costs and mages that are all already loving old. I let it stay up for a few turns before dispelling it because gently caress that.

As for Ulm, the steamroller went fairly well, mostly because his good stuff was busy with Ragha. I ran into a speed bump once I tried to take out his forts because I forgot that iron blizzard was a thing, but then I finally realized that I had air magic! So I finally, after about 8 turns or so of smashing my face into a wall, cast Arrow Fend for the first drat time in the game. Yeah. I also summoned a bunch of air elementals to go over and smack his mages in the face, that probably helped too.

While all this was going on, Pangaea was winning the game. There was not very much I could do about it personally ; I had absolutely no borders with him. I could have done some remote attacks or attempted to teleport an army onto his poo poo somewhere, but I didn't have the research for that. I tried to throw a few mind hunts but I didn't even have any research into thaum, so my mages just went 'Yep there's a guy there' and did nothing since they didn't know how to explode brains. Mind Tickler. Yep.

Postmortem

As the graphs above show, my research fell behind about halfway through the game and never caught up. This was because I kept buying too many loving horsemen. Horsemen are great, but they cost MONEY. I really should have transitioned away from piles of hundreds of horsemen into something less gold-intensive so I could buy more of my expensive mages. I also never managed to get into the global game; by the time I hit the research to start casting my own, the slots were all taken. I was about to start switching into bringing in some Wraith Lords and Lamia Queens to supplement my magic and armies when the game ended. For a game that I joined at the last minute on a complete lark with absolutely no plan going in, I think I did fairly okay. I also learned a lot! And it turns out I like fantasy China, and will probably use it again and hopefully in not such a stupid manner in the future.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 9, 2016

Tekma
Apr 27, 2006

Hello I finally took the dive into Dominions 4 after reading LPs and stuff for quite a while. I'm starting to get the basics down where the AI doesn't really offer much of a challenge , but there's still tons of things to sharpen. Something I really haven't managed to get the hang of is how to fort. Like what's a good saturation of forts? How is income/resources shared between forts if they draw from same provinces? I tend to end up with more gold than I can effectively use with how I'm spreading my current forts. I end up making stupid large stacks of regular troops that just eat ton of upkeep. Works out fine against AI because they don't know how to deal with it, but I think that against an actual player it'd be kinda bad.
Maybe making enough forts to be able to spend most of my turn income on magi would be correct?

Also I tend to bind my magi to research maybe too much. Mostly because against AI there's really no need to use them so I get lazy. Is it a good idea to go for certain breakpoint spells and then scale down research a bit? Like taking a great chunk of magi to field duty at once to be able to cast said spell. Or just dedicate some part of recruitment for combat magi and keep research pumping at high capacity until the very end? I realize this depends on the situation a lot, so any examples of situations would be great or whatever personal opinions there might be.

Do newbie games get announced in this thread or somewhere in PGS?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Tekma posted:

Hello I finally took the dive into Dominions 4 after reading LPs and stuff for quite a while. I'm starting to get the basics down where the AI doesn't really offer much of a challenge , but there's still tons of things to sharpen. Something I really haven't managed to get the hang of is how to fort. Like what's a good saturation of forts? How is income/resources shared between forts if they draw from same provinces? I tend to end up with more gold than I can effectively use with how I'm spreading my current forts. I end up making stupid large stacks of regular troops that just eat ton of upkeep. Works out fine against AI because they don't know how to deal with it, but I think that against an actual player it'd be kinda bad.
Maybe making enough forts to be able to spend most of my turn income on magi would be correct?

Also I tend to bind my magi to research maybe too much. Mostly because against AI there's really no need to use them so I get lazy. Is it a good idea to go for certain breakpoint spells and then scale down research a bit? Like taking a great chunk of magi to field duty at once to be able to cast said spell. Or just dedicate some part of recruitment for combat magi and keep research pumping at high capacity until the very end? I realize this depends on the situation a lot, so any examples of situations would be great or whatever personal opinions there might be.

Do newbie games get announced in this thread or somewhere in PGS?

build more forts make more wizards. once you have some stuff that is good for your team researched pull a bunch of wizards and use them to kill someone the ai is really bad so you can get away with just smashing mans against other mans, but against people you'll need to use those wizmans against their wizmans. the pgs thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498140
i think there is a newbie game announced on the last page

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tekma posted:

Also I tend to bind my magi to research maybe too much. Mostly because against AI there's really no need to use them so I get lazy. Is it a good idea to go for certain breakpoint spells and then scale down research a bit? Like taking a great chunk of magi to field duty at once to be able to cast said spell.
Yep that's exactly it.

There will be definite "timing windows" for your mages where they perform very well against the normal threats of that part of the game.

Any time you get a new size or density of Elemental if you have Fire, Earth or Water magic is often a good time to pull people and gems out of labs and onto the field (levels 3, 5, and 7 of Conjuration), any new and dangerous battlefield-wide spells are often a good time (Flaming Arrows, Earthquake, that kind of thing), and if you have Death magic, often any time you get a bunch more skelespam like Horde of Skeletons usually gives you a solid window to attack with.

The more you play the more you'll get a more nuanced understanding of when you will probably have which research levels on any given nation, and how they'll stack up against others'.

e: new vid up, should I be posting these or just the playlist in the LP forum? I dunno.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 9, 2016

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I have emptied forts after researching goals and blitzed for the win. Once you think you have what it takes to win, you should do that rather than faff about in labs.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

It seems like EA Azothian infantry can't deal damage?

Can someone see if it is the same with their game? The only thing doing damage is slingers.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I blame Mu. It works fine in the base mod :colbert:

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Blame that guy's mac, they work fine.

edit: oh my god my avatar.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Mu. posted:

Well at least it is just me... I wonder what will happen when the game proper starts. wellp.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Calculations are all done on the server, so you should be OK. Replays will be hosed, but what can you do?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Wolfsbane posted:

Calculations are all done on the server, so you should be OK. Replays will be hosed, but what can you do?

Thank goodness.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mu. posted:

foreverially modified

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mu. posted:

I fixed the broken weapons in Sawaikii and added both it and Wu-Tang to Awful Nations. We can now also delete awful_items.dm because Enjoy got his poo poo together.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/scyaup6zck35msg/awful_nations.rar?dl=1

Everything SEEMS to be working normally for me so at this point you could probably try hosting multiplayer games using it.

It looks like you have changed the Doom flag reference in the mod but haven't changed the flag file names, it is crashing for me because there is no "flag.tga" file, although there is a EA, MA and LA flag file

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Mu. posted:

that's really good

Tekma
Apr 27, 2006

Thanks for the answers regarding forts and magi. I read that the fort admin value is the percentage of income/resources they pull from neighboring provinces. So theres really no realistic need to leave more than one province between forts as the admin value doesn't seem to exceed 50, correct? Also I'd assume forts pull all income/reso from their own province so adjacent forts don't get anything from each others "home" province?

Also I really like making bowmans. What's a good nation to spam bowmans?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Tekma posted:

Thanks for the answers regarding forts and magi. I read that the fort admin value is the percentage of income/resources they pull from neighboring provinces. So theres really no realistic need to leave more than one province between forts as the admin value doesn't seem to exceed 50, correct? Also I'd assume forts pull all income/reso from their own province so adjacent forts don't get anything from each others "home" province?

i'm "good" or even "not awful" but i will put forts right next to each other if the need is there. the most important part of forts to me is making wizards and that doesn't take up a lot of res.

relying on bows has some serious downsides but Man, TC, BL, LA Ulm all have interesting bow options.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Enjoy posted:

It looks like you have changed the Doom flag reference in the mod but haven't changed the flag file names, it is crashing for me because there is no "flag.tga" file, although there is a EA, MA and LA flag file

Whoops. I changed the graphics in my local dir instead of the upload one.

Awful Nations Mod <-- now contains doom/flag.tga

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Tekma posted:

MA Man probably, you get stealthy bowmans that are pretty decent in melee if you buff them. Easy access to wind guide, and potential access to flaming arrows. Fort location is more about where you can build one when you can build one for your first fort, later on you'll probably only fort thrones or important magic sites.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Tekma posted:

Once you have multiple forts up, your recruitment is very rarely going to be bounded by resources (with possible exceptions of your cap or specific poptype provinces that can recruit troops that the rest of your forts can't). Gold will generally be the limiting factor on how many troops you can recruit.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

I'm new to the game, trying to learn it. Is there any site or similar that gives a rough guide on how each nation should be played?

The pretender setup is kind of a circular problem, when you're new you've no idea how each nation should be played, but without knowing how each nation should be played, its not really possible to efficiently setup a pretender. I've abandoned several abortive attempts at learning the game now simply due to the fact that once I got into it I discovered what options I picked were really sub-optimal.

Tekma
Apr 27, 2006

akulanization posted:

MA Man probably, you get stealthy bowmans that are pretty decent in melee if you buff them. Easy access to wind guide, and potential access to flaming arrows. Fort location is more about where you can build one when you can build one for your first fort, later on you'll probably only fort thrones or important magic sites.

Gonna try out MA Man since that sounds pretty reasonable setup for making most use of bowmans.

Also thanks again for the fort tips. Think I have a pretty good picture of it now.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Tindahbawx posted:

I'm new to the game, trying to learn it. Is there any site or similar that gives a rough guide on how each nation should be played?

The pretender setup is kind of a circular problem, when you're new you've no idea how each nation should be played, but without knowing how each nation should be played, its not really possible to efficiently setup a pretender. I've abandoned several abortive attempts at learning the game now simply due to the fact that once I got into it I discovered what options I picked were really sub-optimal.

Honestly the best rough guide to how a nation should be played is to either see somebody play it, or get on irc and ask about it. There are a few sites that have some basic stuff, like the extremely questionable wiki, but none that I know of that have particularly comprehensive guides.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Tindahbawx posted:

I think watching some of the lets plays could be good for a new player. They always go into quite a bit of detail of what pretender they chose and why, which troops they are building and why, and which spells they are researching and why.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Yup. Picking a nation and ask for advice on IRC (#dom4goons on synirc.net) is the way to go. Or pick an awake e6 earthsnake with scales and heat 1, it's always a good choice.

What I do when playing a nation I haven't played before in MP is to test the expansion of several builds of pretenders. Generally it's mostly a matter of figuring out if I can use the troops to expand or need an awake god, whether the sacreds are worth getting a bless for, and if there are any key spells that I want my pretender to cast.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 10, 2016

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tindahbawx posted:

I agree with you, I also found the pretender setup was one of the biggest walls to climb to really learn the game. At first you don't know what complements best the nation you picked, if an awake combat pretender or a scale statue or a rainbow mage for site search or a bless strategy or what.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Etalommi posted:

Yup. Picking a nation and ask for advice on IRC (#dom4goons on synirc.net) is the way to go. Or pick an awake e6 earthsnake with scales and heat 1, it's always a good choice.

yeah it's hard to go wrong with e6 earth snake. i can't think of any nation that is bad with a scales build off hand.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

yeah it's hard to go wrong with e6 earth snake. i can't think of any nation that is bad with a scales build off hand.

I suppose you could accidentally go Order on Yomi or Lanka, but that's a mistake you'd notice right away if you ever opened the nation in SP. And obv nations with a national preference for Cold won't like the earth snake quite as much.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking of doing some EA nation guide stuff, would people watch that?

Got a relatively suitable pretender set up for literally every single nation and can talk about some research goals and so on, maybe throw in a couple of example vids of why certain research targets are useful?

e: in other Dom 4 video news, turns 3 and 4 of my Sauro playthrough are up in ~high def~ and with decent audio levels.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 10, 2016

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Speleothing posted:

I suppose you could accidentally go Order on Yomi or Lanka, but that's a mistake you'd notice right away if you ever opened the nation in SP. And obv nations with a national preference for Cold won't like the earth snake quite as much.

I once did an order scales Lanka in a multiplayer game because I thought their sacred demons looked overpriced. It was before earthsnake was discovered, so it was a Water Dragon instead, but still that's alarming close. :downs:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Don't go scales Lemuria.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Who made the Iram mods, the LA Iram seems to have a non-commander assassin unit but assassin doesn't do anything for non-commanders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Enjoy posted:

Who made the Iram mods, the LA Iram seems to have a non-commander assassin unit but assassin doesn't do anything for non-commanders

Well, you could use spells to make them commanders! :v:

• Locked thread