Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The current Insider build on my 640 is running like absolute trash. Awful Reader isn't even loading, everything else is crashing frequently and Edge keeps reloading pages (even lightweight ones like news articles), usually before crashing. App resuming is almost non-existent.

That happened to me. A factory reset fixed it, except my text message history won't download.

I miss the stability of WP 8.1 :(

Maneki Neko posted:

950s on swappa are not too crazy, depending on whether or not you need unlocked or not.

I don't need unlocked. I'll check that out. I'm l looking at less than $200 though. I don't think I'll find anything good for that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The current Insider build on my 640 is running like absolute trash. Awful Reader isn't even loading, everything else is crashing frequently and Edge keeps reloading pages (even lightweight ones like news articles), usually before crashing. App resuming is almost non-existent.

I had that too. Had to do a phone reset but then it works fine.

Except Edge reloading on pages. Even my surface pro 3 does that now... I think they broker the browser at some point.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

wookieepelt posted:

That happened to me. A factory reset fixed it, except my text message history won't download.

I had the same thing happen. Figured the text messages were just gone, but they randomly showed up a week later.

There needs to be a way to 1) see the progress of downloading your messages, 2) see the messages on the web, 3) force message backups to restore, and 4) see literally any feedback about the process whatsoever.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hard reset did the trick; I'm extremely impressed with the backup restore, it's like nothing ever happened.

The only issue is that I no longer have Glance and it doesn't even appear in Settings, is there a way of getting that back? I can't see anything in the Store either.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hard reset did the trick; I'm extremely impressed with the backup restore, it's like nothing ever happened.

The only issue is that I no longer have Glance and it doesn't even appear in Settings, is there a way of getting that back? I can't see anything in the Store either.

I can't find the setting either. I still have glance, but instead of peeking or whatever the setting was called it now stays glanced until I turn my display off. So it seems that glance is broken in this update. I'll leave some feedback and hope they fix it eventually.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Glance has been broken for a while for me on my 640. I still have the settings but they just crash when I open them and try to change something, and there's no default settings apparently so I'm glanceless.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

My glance works on the latest build, on the 640. I think I had to upgrade forward from 8.1 at some point. It just shows the clock, and notifications.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
640 dual sim 14295.1000

- Glance is forever on, cant get rid (where is it in the settings?)
- texts aren't downloaded from wherever they're backed up
- glitches in landscape edge video view
- maps crash when downloading to memory card, obv no space to dl to the phone so who knows if maps works
- maps won't render actul maps, though will show fvourite places and my location as dots in blue aether
- apps don't install to memory card
- random crashes, though looks like fewer than the previous build
- vvm seems to be set up for sim 1 and not for sim 2 - I haven't tested this nor gone further than hitting the voicemail icon and agreeing to vvm.

I'm probably going back to 8.1, mostly because of maps and not being able to use the memory card space wih the 640 being a low memory device.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Goddamnit, I've now got two separate memory cards seemingly corrupted, I'm putting it down to messing with 14295.1000 trying to free up space on the phone by moving storage over to the cards.

Both 64GB speed 10, one Sandisk, one Sony. Perpetual warnings from the phone that the cards are corrupted, doesn't format with the phone process, can't format with Windows (microSD reader) comes back with an error, won't format with the SD Formatter V4.0 (from the SD people, apparently) comes back as "turn off read only", regedit to set readable, run diskpart to clear readonly, and now Windows is trying Error Checking Scanning and Repairing again after failing before. Nothing works.

Something happened, twice and independently, which has caused the cards to be totally unreadable. WTF? Any goon techniques to get these things back to life?

I have a 4GB spare which I'm now only putting maps, music, photos, etc. on, apps are staying on the phone. It's slow and small but I'm hosed if I'm spunking another 64GB 10 speed on this endeavour.

As always, 640 Dual Sim WP10 14295.1000

Fake Edit: Checking the properties of one of the disk says I don't I need Read Permission to view the security properties - there's a button to continue with admin permission, permission not granted. How soes WP10 totally take ownership of the microSD? Fuckers.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Mr Funkface posted:

Any goon techniques to get these things back to life?

If you have access to a Chromebook, or a computer with Linux, you can try and format the cards there.

After formatting the card there, you can format it on a WIndows PC.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Another cumulative Win 10 update is out.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...80450492&auth=1

quote:

- Reliability, performance and stability improvements.
- Support for Visual Voicemail on Dual SIM phones.
- Improvements for Bluetooth connectivity, including the reliability of connecting to and staying connected with Bluetooth devices.
- Fix for a problem that caused audio playback to get occasionally interrupted in Groove Music and other music apps when phone display was turned off.
- Improvements for Microsoft Edge browser, including support for configuring a prompt before a file download occurs, support for background downloads, and a fix for a problem where opening a link from an another app wouldn’t load the web page.
- Reliability improvements for Cortana reading text messages aloud and usability improvements for Quiet Hours feature.
- Improvements for Store reliability, including a fix for a problem that prevented some apps from being updated and installed.
- Fix for a problem that occasionally caused some apps to show blank tiles after upgrading from Windows Phone 8.1.
- Improvements for PC connectivity via USB on some phones that were upgraded from Windows Phone 8.1.

Emphasis mine.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I just got Microsoft Lumia 950, and I thought that Bluetooth thing was just somehow something I was loving up. I have never used Bluetooth before, and I was trying to transfer files from my old phone. :corsair:

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Kidney Stone posted:

If you have access to a Chromebook, or a computer with Linux, you can try and format the cards there.

After formatting the card there, you can format it on a WIndows PC.

Eh, no linux or chromebook access for this cowboy. Would Apple do?

Tivac posted:

Another cumulative Win 10 update is out.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...80450492&auth=1

Emphasis mine.

I'm confused by the streams going on - I assumed 10586 was deprecated in favour of 14295?

RE: vvm on dual sims functions - 14295.1000 only allows VVM on the data sim, the other is plain Jane voicemail fyi.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Mr Funkface posted:

Apple is Linux now :ssh:

(Well, it's BSD, but it's posix. Close enough.)

Mr Funkface posted:

I'm confused by the streams going on - I assumed 10586 was deprecated in favour of 14295?

10586 is the current "stable" branch. 14295 is the redstone/anniversary/bleeding-edge beta branch.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
A week ago, maybe longer, my Lumia 925, 8.1, started having problems connecting to 5ghz wifi, starting today it also has a problem with 2.4ghz. It's not my router (at least nothing else is having trouble). I've restarted the phone several times. It connects then immediately drops, connects, drops, connects, drops. Anyone heard of a bug or phone problem like this?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Mr Funkface posted:

RE: vvm on dual sims functions - 14295.1000 only allows VVM on the data sim, the other is plain Jane voicemail fyi.

Apple should be just fine - as long as th einitial format isn't done on a Windows PC.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Nokia 630 running latest update of 8.1

Could of my apps won't launch (official Twitter and Winpass) : screen goes black briefly, then it returns to the list of apps

I've already reinstalled once and they work for the first few times, then the problem persists

How do I find out what is going on? when I go to the store and view 'My Apps' - it says 'getting info on 36 apps' , but only lists 3 'Not Installed' and 1 'Not available for this Phone' - none of the other apps that I have installed (including those that are working fine)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Twitter just updated with a shiny new W10 app, which I imagine has replaced the old one entirely. It's not like they updated it any time in the past five years.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Mobile Build 14322 out for fast ring.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/04/14/announcing-windows-10-mobile-insider-preview-build-14322/

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

:psyduck: GET IN MY LIFE RIGHT NOW.

e: Camera button and music controls on the lock screen as well. This looks to be a very good update (crippling performance issues tbc).

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 14, 2016

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
I'll give them this: WPhone has the best emojis and they're now even better!

BUT

quote:

Visual changes to Notifications: We’re making Action Center richer with support for notifications with more flexible layouts similar to the richness of Live Tiles. Notifications with images will now display larger than they did previously. Notifications can have “hero image” for content that is an even bigger image size to make content in notifications pop even more.

Oh god please not this - can't you see an arms race in "pop" "hero images" in the near future? I for one don't want a half-screen jpg with each notification. That's not a notification.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 15, 2016

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
Well, this update finally fixed Glance for me. Still had to uninstall the original app before it worked, but I'm glad to have it back after months.

Also, this update appears to have uninstalled the Here apps too.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've found one issue - my phone sets the brightness of the screen to the right level when I turn the screen on, but won't update it after that no matter what settings I fiddle with. Any way of fixing that? I literally have to turn the screen off and on if I walk somewhere with a different light level to get the screen looking right again.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Mobile Build 14322 seems more responsive on my 950. I was pretty close to doing a wipe and rollback on my phone before this update due to performance and responsiveness issues on the previous preview build.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've found one issue - my phone sets the brightness of the screen to the right level when I turn the screen on, but won't update it after that no matter what settings I fiddle with. Any way of fixing that? I literally have to turn the screen off and on if I walk somewhere with a different light level to get the screen looking right again.

I'm getting a similar issue(Lumia 640) at the moment, and it appears to be related to Glance Screen somehow. I've had it stuck at minimal brightness for a while, then after switching off the screen and waiting for Glance to appear, turning on the screen again switched it back to the proper brightness. Manually setting brightness did nothing whatsoever.

Also, two ereader apps I use no longer function(Bookviser and Tucan Reader) Both get their books from my SD card so I'm fairly sure it might be related to that. On an earlier build they refused to launch if installed to SD, but moving them to internal memory fixed it.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Mobile Build 14322 seems more responsive on my 950. I was pretty close to doing a wipe and rollback on my phone before this update due to performance and responsiveness issues on the previous preview build.

Same. They also fixed the issue with tapping on a text message from the action center not pulling up the keypad to unlock my phone. All in all, a much better update.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

wookieepelt posted:

Same. They also fixed the issue with tapping on a text message from the action center not pulling up the keypad to unlock my phone. All in all, a much better update.

I'm definitely noticing it feeling snappier and a lot of the annoying bugs fixed, but some apps have gotten way crashier for me. Tweetium barely ever loads successfully any more :(

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

PlaneGuy posted:

Yeah I know :( but I wouldn't mind having it all in one feed still even if I get the ads and curation, I think. I mean, it's better than multiple apps with ads and curation, right? but then they'd complain about "branding" or whatever horseshit hate-on about twitter not being light blue then you're looking at your timeline or some poo poo like that

Exactly this. I loved how my WP7 HTC Arrive was exactly what I wanted from a phone, and WP7 delivered that in spades.

Then progressively they removed stuff while adding less good stuff in WP8/8.1, then in WM10 they pretty much made it pretty, but removed all that made the phone good including the drat reliability and speed. The Arrive feels faster than most WM10 devices I use, and had much more consistent functionality (until they pretty much killed everything on it including Zune :( )

On a side note, side loading Sense 7 onto your android device which includes BlinkFeed is fantastic for getting you a all in 1 newsfeed that combines chosen news sources + Twitter + Facebook which keeps me from almost ever visiting the Facebook app. What really sucks is Sense 8 they seem to have neutered it by going to News Republic (Which seems to bring me a lot of crap I couldn't care less about like UK sports, when I haven't chosen to follow any sports) and dropped the Facebook and Instagram integration which pretty much removes >50% the reason I liked it in the first place. No idea why they did this but :10bux: says it is because Facebook wants you to use their app, to see their adds, and all the other things they are trying to keep you using their app for. With the battery hog that it is though I have been tempted to remove the drat thing.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Smoke posted:

I'm getting a similar issue(Lumia 640) at the moment, and it appears to be related to Glance Screen somehow. I've had it stuck at minimal brightness for a while, then after switching off the screen and waiting for Glance to appear, turning on the screen again switched it back to the proper brightness. Manually setting brightness did nothing whatsoever.

Also, two ereader apps I use no longer function(Bookviser and Tucan Reader) Both get their books from my SD card so I'm fairly sure it might be related to that. On an earlier build they refused to launch if installed to SD, but moving them to internal memory fixed it.

The more out-there updates seem to have an SD card problem, at least for me which is one of the repeating reasons why I keep nuking my 640 Dual, but things seem to be nice and stable with 10586.218. I've installed apps, keep folders, dl offline maps, and store pics without the glitches and outright corruption of photos and bricking of SD cards I was getting from previous 10586 and later 14295 builds. I'm going to hold off on any deeper adventures in the WPhone fringes for now.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 15, 2016

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Tivac posted:

I'm definitely noticing it feeling snappier and a lot of the annoying bugs fixed, but some apps have gotten way crashier for me. Tweetium barely ever loads successfully any more :(

Tweetium not loading is a known issue, which are being worked on.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/04/14/announcing-windows-10-mobile-insider-preview-build-14322/

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
I haven't had any cases of corruption, just the above and it seems to have been a one-time thing. Still kept the apps on device memory after that because there's enough space. Other than that I haven't had any real issues with the Insider versions, no crashes or anything like that.

I've also managed to somewhat get Bookviser to run, by opening an ePub file via the File Explorer and selecting it will just throw an error at me but then function. Closing it and then launching it via the Start screen or All apps still causes a crash though(yet switching via the task switcher works), but at least I can now continue to read during my breaks at work. Tucan Reader still crashes this way though, it'll start, throw an error, then crash.

So far this appears to be one of the buggier builds. On the plus side, I've got Glance back, and Cortana no longer requires me to set my region to the US, just the display language.

EDIT: Reading that blog post and knowing the two readers are 8.1 apps does help a lot, at least they're aware of it.

Smoke fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 15, 2016

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Oh phew it's part of an update to that page, was really worried that I had just completely glossed over that as a known issue.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

EdEddnEddy posted:

The Arrive feels faster than most WM10 devices I use, and had much more consistent functionality (until they pretty much killed everything on it including Zune :( )

Is Zune really something that people have a lot of fondness for? I found it to be an absolute chore to use.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is Zune really something that people have a lot of fondness for? I found it to be an absolute chore to use.

I loved my ZuneHD (still one of the nicest built Media Players ever made) and the overall Zune software continues to be Immensely better than Groove. While Groove has finally started getting, better I guess, it still just works like a entry level Play Music you Own, Have on One Drive, or here lets see what the most popular music is as long as it is Hip Hop/Rap.

Zune had channels and playlist similar to Spotify, years before Spotify even existed. And a extra small annoyance is how you could SmartDJ off of a single song and it would find similar music, while in Groove you can only "Radio" off of a band.

The software had it's flaws as well, but the overall style and features it once had was way ahead of it's time and sadly, Microsoft thought it best to just throw it all away. I am also sour loosing my Zune Pass with my 10 songs. Now I have little incentive to keep Groove Music over say a Spotify or now Google Music sub instead.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I liked the Zune software & service, but I think the bigger point that they were WAYYY better than what replaced them on the Windows Phone side.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Dude Zune was way ahead of it's time... how was it a chore??

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Zune was quite nice, yeah.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've got my OG red Zune sitting here charged, on my desk, filled up & ready to go. It's probably the best piece of electronics I've ever owned. The desktop software is stellar, I use it daily, and I'm not planning to give it up any time soon. There's no replacement.

Every once in awhile I check ebay 32GB Zune HDs, but they're wayyyy too expensive. Always have been, and now probably always will be since there's a limited supply.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

Every once in awhile I check ebay 32GB Zune HDs, but they're wayyyy too expensive. Always have been, and now probably always will be since there's a limited supply.

That's what I have and I'm never giving it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I still have my 80GB Zune you used to be able to order right from Microsoft with a quote and design etched into the back of it. It's been my workout buddy for 8 years running and I would be devastated if anything happened to it. I've tried to listen to songs off of my old iPhone 4, but the sound quality in the Zune is superior.