Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pirate Jet posted:

It's not a question of whether they'll ditch Chris Evans, it's a question of whether he'll ditch them. Doesn't his contract end after phase 3?

As does RDJ's. They're in through Infinity War, after that all bets are off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Gyges posted:

Didn't the switch in control of Marvel Movies make a huge difference with a lot of the people who were talking about leaving, or was it just the dump trucks full of money?

AIUI it was both the one and the same. Perlmutter was lowballing everyone to poo poo and only RDJ commanded the big checks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kurzon posted:

They are not going to ditch Chris Evans. That could them millions in ticket sales.

I think they were going to kill him originally but the backstage drama got resolved.

He might die in Infinity War though because Marvel knows they need to reboot characters sooner or later.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

broken clock opsec posted:

AIUI it was both the one and the same. Perlmutter was lowballing everyone to poo poo and only RDJ commanded the big checks.

If you read between the lines, Evans also hated working with Whedon and that was a lot of where his frustration came from. Then he worked with the Russo brothers and was happy again.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
It makes me curious, if that's true, what Evans's issue(s) with Whedon were/are. Guy seems likable enough, just not the best fit for directing the Avengers movies.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

PurplieNurplie posted:

It makes me curious, if that's true, what Evans's issue(s) with Whedon were/are. Guy seems likable enough, just not the best fit for directing the Avengers movies.

Made him wear the ugly helmet.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

PurplieNurplie posted:

Probably just that whedon's didn't really know what to do with Cap as a character and he's way less engaging in either of the Avengers flicks as he is in his solo movies. or maybe he just didn't like the guy.

But yeah I bet they kill Evans cap off not in Civil War but in Infinity War. They've got two dudes lined up to wield the shield and both would be cool, either Anthony Mackie or Sebastian stan, so I'm kinda looking forward to it even though Chris Evans is pretty much the absolute perfect Steve Rogers.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Hey now, Spawn was pretty bad but I'm sure with the success of the Walking Dead Image comics will be making a major comeback anytime now!
Speaking of which, I'm up to issue 150.

I was saying earlier how it kinda got readable after #120 and I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, and #150 is the point where it basically plunges through the earth's crust.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Didn't Evans recently say in an interview that he actually wouldn't mind staying on as cap after his current contract runs out if they'd let him

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

site posted:

Didn't Evans recently say in an interview that he actually wouldn't mind staying on as cap after his current contract runs out if they'd let him

Yeah he said that suspiciously close to just after the news that Ike Perlmutter would have nothing to do with movies anymore.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It also kinda coincided with his debut film as a director being a huge flop.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dacap posted:

As a selfish audience member, if it means more Evans Cap then all his other movies can bomb for all I care.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

site posted:

As a selfish audience member, if it means more Evans Cap then all his other movies can bomb for all I care.

Same. Evans Cap 5ever.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Proposition Joe posted:

Yeah he said that suspiciously close to just after the news that Ike Perlmutter would have nothing to do with movies anymore.

This was the rumor back when it came out.
Who comes any close to RDJ other than Evans in popularity in the cast?
It would be very dumb of Disney to keep him dead.

edit: not to mention that Evans is still one of cheapest actors on that cast for some reason.

Viller fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 10, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Viller posted:

My man Samuel L, of course.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

computer parts posted:

I think they were going to kill him originally but the backstage drama got resolved.

He might die in Infinity War though because Marvel knows they need to reboot characters sooner or later.

That's been the rumor that Captain America dies in Infinity War Part 1 to set-up the stakes for Part 2. People just tied it into Chris Evans just venting current frustrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Viller posted:

ScarJo is extremely popular in my household
For TWo big reasons
Her personality and charm
Get her bigger guns though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain America dying doesn't mean Chris Evans isn't coming back, just that they set up a dramatic status quo for Part 1 of Infinity War.

I wouldn't be surprised if IW Part 1 downplays a lot of the original Avengers so they can dramatically return in part 2 for various reasons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ImpAtom posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if IW Part 1 downplays a lot of the original Avengers so they can dramatically return in part 2 for various reasons.

This matches what the Marvel guys have said, that the different IW parts will focus on different Avenger teams to keep the spotlight spread out rather than trying to jam absolutely everyone into a satisfying role in one movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Evans will absolutely "die" dramatically at some point so that he can appear towards the end of IW2 at the most hopeless moment to finally scream "Avengers! Assemble!" to get the biggest hype explosion in the history of MCU theatrical opening nights.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, we could just make him the American Bond. just pick from some of the almost-rans
http://www.teen.com/2014/03/28/movies/actors-who-almost-played-captain-america/
per my main news source

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheFallenEvincar posted:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, we could just make him the American Bond.

That is literally what Marvel wants to do with Tony Stark et all. Just recast and act like nothing's changed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bond's made the public well familiar with the sliding timeline concept too, everything's coming up aces for Marvel!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

computer parts posted:

That is literally what Marvel wants to do with Tony Stark et all. Just recast and act like nothing's changed.

Actually this has changed again with the ousting of Ike. The official line as of a few weeks ago was that when Downey etc are done they will rest the character for an extended period of time before recasting if at all.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Where are you people getting all this industry gossip, because I want to read all of it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Cameo posted:

Perlmutter was never a committee member; the committee was entirely staffed by Marvel writers. Talent's problem with Perlmutter was more that pumping for a little bit more money once they laid out the budget was next to impossible and he would also often, with Feige, essentially re-edit the pictures without input from them. This is the sort of stuff that has put him at cross points with Downey, who is big on letting directors and editors and other talent do what they're hired to do. It's why his post-Iron Man contract renegotiation gave him things like a full-fledged producer's power on his future Marvel movies (which is how Shane Black even got the chair for IM3 - Downey wanted to pay him back for hiring him at a low point in his career as well as basically guruing the first Iron Man into what it was) and why he's constantly wielded the power he's had in the company to do things like knock his co-star's pay up for Avengers sequels. When Downey slipped into Cap 3 (which he negotiated himself into through Disney directly), Perlmutter wanted to kill his contract since Downey isn't cheap ($30 million and first-dollar gross points - and that's not including producer's pay) and with him joining the cast a lot of Perlmutter's control went out the window (because, again, RDJ in the cast puts him and Susan, his wife, in producer roles as per his standard contract these days).

As you can imagine, that was the thing Feige was able to bring to Horn to oust Perlmutter from the film side of the company and make the direct line of ascension for Marvel movies be Feige -> Horn instead. Because what better way to look like a lunatic than to scream about wanting to gut the golden goose of the company because it wants to lay more eggs. When this happened and Feige was put at the head of film production for Marvel, he disbanded the creative committee. But that committee was around well into the Disney era and probably still exists to a degree for the TV side of things (at least for Agents of SHIELD).

Otherwise, the other Perlmutter stuff - the "black people" comment, the refusal to produce Black Widow or Peggy Carter toys until the last year or so, the penny-pinching and whatnot - yeah, that's all true. He's the reason Favreau dumped out on directing Avengers after IM2 got railroaded, why Branagh and even Joe Johnston walked away despite options available for both to do Thor and Cap sequels, and why at this point it's incredibly difficult for Marvel to get directors above a certain level to make their movies - Ryan Coogler is probably their first director since Branagh with some real acclaim behind him coming in. Most directors have learned a lesson about getting caught in the Marvel machine.

It's also why Lucasfilm is operating in a completely different direction, with a wide berth for creatives to work in (which would make sense given Kathleen Kennedy's career basically being Amblin and Kennedy/Marshall, both of which operated under that dogma and were quite successful).

A very concise and accurate recap of the situation. Which is hard to do, it's a mess.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

PriorMarcus posted:

Actually this has changed again with the ousting of Ike. The official line as of a few weeks ago was that when Downey etc are done they will rest the character for an extended period of time before recasting if at all.

I mean, I'm not calling you a liar, but there's no. drat. way. There will be exactly as long a delay as there has ever been between films starring Iron Man. Nobody who can print money this year is gonna wait until next year to print it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Slugworth posted:

I mean, I'm not calling you a liar, but there's no. drat. way. There will be exactly as long a delay as there has ever been between films starring Iron Man. Nobody who can print money this year is gonna wait until next year to print it.

I'm sort of curious whether the draw is Iron Man or Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, though I'm suspicious as well of how long they'll be willing to wait to find out.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I could see them waiting like 3-4 years. That way, you have a year of milking "THE LAST RDJ IRON MAN APPEARANCE", then a year of silent wonder, then they can milk the "WHO WILL BE THE NEXT IRON MAN?!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

The film was a flop because anyone who knows NYC knows that the major obstacle the female lead has int he film could have been solved by a $20 bus ride.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Iron Man should not be the American James Bond, Columbo should be the American James Bond.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

computer parts posted:

Teen Tony or bust

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm sort of curious whether the draw is Iron Man or Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, though I'm suspicious as well of how long they'll be willing to wait to find out.
Right, that's it exactly. Decent odds that the new actor will fail to draw crowds like RDJ, but unless his final film is a disappointment, the franchise will be strong enough that there's no way they'll be like, 'screw momentum, we need to wait a few years until everyone forgets about RDJ.'

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

greatn posted:

Iron Man should not be the American James Bond, Columbo should be the American James Bond.

Peter Falk is loving irreplaceable.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

greatn posted:

Oh, just one more thing, Moneypenny...

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The powers of the infinity objects in the MCU could be likely used to great effect for doing a lot of stuff with casting in future films if they would think about using them like that.

Like if Cap does die in this film and in Infinity War or something a character manages to get something like the Time Gem pulls him out of the timestream at the moment of his death to fight Thanos. Or if Thanos wipes out half of all the universe and they eventually fix it, someone accidentally brings back people who died without Thanos' involvement. Reality Gem brings Cap back to life in a last-ditch effort by someone seeking out champions to fight Thanos, etc. Time Gem to re-age various characters to be younger incarnations of themselves (which could give us Kid Loki or younger Tony Stark actors, something with the three versions of Thor being played by a teen actor, current actor and an older actor, etc.)

But I could also see Marvel NOT wanting to turn the Infinity Stones into devices just for writing themselves out of corners or retconning things as an easy option.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 10, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The MCU is approaching 10 years old. It's gonna be real weird to hear people say "they grew up on them." :corsair:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

People keep saying the Marvel formula works, but I can't help but feel the whole lead up to Avengers could have been more organic. Instead of making Incredible Hulk, for example, they could have a movie where SHIELD use Stark to hunt and subdue Hulk (a better excuse for a Hulkbuster fight). Then follow up with movies where they meet Thor and thaw out Cap (after a movie about Cap set entirely during WW2), adding a new member with each movie.

edit:
Iron Man vs Hulk would be almost like BvS. General Ross sends Stark after Hulk, Stark realises Hulk is not a monster, Ross gets angry and releases Abomination as contingency, Stark and Hulk teams up to defeat Abomination, Stark and Banner become best friends and work together to find more people like them.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 10, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

People keep saying the Marvel formula works, but I can't help but feel the whole lead up to Avengers could have been more organic. Instead of making Incredible Hulk, for example, they could have a movie where SHIELD use Stark to hunt and subdue Hulk (a better excuse for a Hulkbuster fight). Then follow up with movies where they meet Thor and thaw out Cap (after a movie about Cap set entirely during WW2), adding a new member with each movie.

edit:
Iron Man vs Hulk would be almost like BvS. General Ross sends Stark after Hulk, Stark realises Hulk is not a monster, Ross gets angry and releases Abomination as contingency, Stark and Hulk teams up to defeat Abomination, Stark and Banner become best friends and work together to find more people like them.

They could've done that, but it doesn't sound better than what we got, and Marvel is making a shitload of money off their movies, so I don't know why they'd want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It also sounds way more expensive that way. With that way, you have your core group and you're just adding one or two per movie. Theoretically, that means you have that core group in every film. Which would be prohibitively expensive and would also not work when it comes to timeframes since it would be much harder to have multiple films in production simultaneously.

• Locked thread