Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm the strotum

Is there a group this came from? It's gotta be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Picnic Princess posted:

"Because gently caress you, that's why" - People who build things

This seem true of people who just license their name to builders as well.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you remove a carrot from the ground, clean it, and slice it with a knife, the resulting circles individually have surface similarities to eyes! That's as good as a 72-point product label in God's Earthly Kingdom.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yo man what this book series for children.....was secretly SUPER DARK AND DEPRESSING?!

Joking aside it's been a long time since i've read Harry Potter, didn't the Durselys more or less just pretend Harry didn't exist? I can't remember any straight up abuse that's ever mentioned in the books.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don't know how true this is, but someone once told me the whole legend of carrots being good for eye site came from WW2 propaganda. The British had invented radar, and 'leaked' to the enemy some bullshit about how they'd discovered that a diet of carrots gave them awesome eyesight.

Probably BS, but it's a cute story.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EvilGenius posted:

I don't know how true this is, but someone once told me the whole legend of carrots being good for eye site came from WW2 propaganda. The British had invented radar, and 'leaked' to the enemy some bullshit about how they'd discovered that a diet of carrots gave them awesome eyesight.

Probably BS, but it's a cute story.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/a-wwii-propaganda-campaign-popularized-the-myth-that-carrots-help-you-see-in-the-dark-28812484/

Contains a link to the virtual Carrot Museum, for completeness.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I love when people post really obvious things as if they're some deep reading of the material.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Yo man what this book series for children.....was secretly SUPER DARK AND DEPRESSING?!

Joking aside it's been a long time since i've read Harry Potter, didn't the Durselys more or less just pretend Harry didn't exist? I can't remember any straight up abuse that's ever mentioned in the books.

Adults being incompetent shits is a regular theme in Roald Dahl stories, among others. It's a great way to suspend a child's disbelief, as deep down all children suspect adults are hiding most of the world from them.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Freddo mighnt not have even got the ring in the bin if Samwell haddn't helped him!

the feels

this

drat

owned

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Harry Potter does get really dark. But it's not something you should slowly realize with age. It has magic nazis murdering people left and right and hideous creatures that suck the soul out of people and torture curses and all sorts of other poo poo.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

There was actually lots. The adults would take swings at Harry but I don't know that they'd connect, including once with a cast iron frying pan. They'd ignore Dudley hitting Harry or encourage him. His room was a tiny broom closet that they'd lock him in. They'd regularly near starve him. They'd have him do grueling chores, starting at a very young age (way beyond just building character or whatever).

+ heaps load of emotional abuse, like insulting him and his parents, discourage him from doing well at school, and so on.

Like Harry's life was pretty hosed up. It's not a deep reading or anything and the series (less so the later ones but the early ones especially) is meant for kids so it's not going to have some traumatized husk for a hero, but yeah, I don't think it's too idiotic to notice that there's some really dark stuff that gets kind of gets glossed over in a children's book although honestly that just carries on the tradition from beyond even Dahl, but like the og brothers grimm.

e; the super overdramatic presentation tumblrs often go for kind of undermines their point, though

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 23:08 on Apr 9, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Henchman of Santa posted:

Harry Potter does get really dark. But it's not something you should slowly realize with age. It has magic nazis murdering people left and right and hideous creatures that suck the soul out of people and torture curses and all sorts of other poo poo.

and don't even get him started on the terrible scoring system of Quidditch.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbfbn0FvBSw&t=6s

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The Dursleys were cartoonishly evil, and most villains in the books were just as obvious. I love the HP series, I reread the last one last year, but tumblr needs to understand that some elements of the books were clearly not as well thought out as others.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

BigglesSWE posted:

The Dursleys were cartoonishly evil, and most villains in the books were just as obvious. I love the HP series, I reread the last one last year, but tumblr needs to understand that some elements of the books were clearly not as well thought out as others.

Harry Potter was a weird set of books because they were amazingly written with zero loving thought behind it. You know that Divination professor who's super incompetent 99% of the time but occasionally produces hyper accurate work? That's JK Rowling.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I follow a Japanese zoo's fb page because they post lots of cute capybara stuff. This is how fb translated one of their posts:

No Facebook, I don't think the zoo is posting about Gundams.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
"And, on the left, we have the new Turn-A exhibit."

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Didn't feel like screencapping the facebook post, but I'm sure you guys can imagine what the comments were. Stuff along the lines of "lol what a bunch of pussies" and "they just want free government stuff", etc. That's not to mention it's pretty obvious how it would go if large amounts of blacks resorted to vigilantism.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Blind Pineapple posted:

Aaah, the "hide bad replies" option, it does nothing!
It should just be a Javascript link to window.close().

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Yeah but I don't think killing cops is the answer."

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012
For some reason I doubt the person who posted that has high opinions about the Black Panthers, despite them being the exact thing that meme wants to happen

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

All the physical abuse stuff posted above aside, as a teacher in England (I assume the same is true in other countries) neglect is one of the four forms of abuse (along with physical, emotional and sexual) that we're trained to recognise in order to report to child protection if necessary. So even just pretending he didn't exist could, at some point, be classified as abuse.

Sorry I don't have any actual content! My social media is remarkably free of idiots.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm going to guess this person doesn't realize they should also be asking for higher pay instead of complaining that they no longer make more than other people

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

A 15 dollar minimum wage comes out to $28,800 a year before taxes. drat, this guy must really hate being an EMT.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

EVERYTHING GIVES YOU CANCER AND AL QAEDA ISNT REAL

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm always impressed when I see the anti-fluoride crowd still has modern proponents

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I like the assumption that all diet products work the way dirt Coke does.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Mo0 posted:

I like the assumption that all diet products work the way dirt Coke does.

Ew dirt coke

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

change my name posted:

A 15 dollar minimum wage comes out to $28,800 a year before taxes. drat, this guy must really hate being an EMT.

Holy poo poo of course you loving would.

What the gently caress is this.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

goose fleet posted:

I'm going to guess this person doesn't realize they should also be asking for higher pay instead of complaining that they no longer make more than other people

Or the admission that he's just doing all of the things he mentioned for the money. "gently caress helping people, I could work at Dunkin'" is incredibly childish.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Brawnfire posted:

Ew dirt coke

phone posting is fun but Diet Coke sucks anyway leaving that as it lies :colbert:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Mo0 posted:

EVERYTHING GIVES YOU CANCER AND AL QAEDA ISNT REAL

'Fluoride will give you CANCER and KILL YOU (and also mess up your teeth's appearance I guess)'

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tram drivers here are campaigning for more money though they currently earn more than junior doctors. Rather than this being a case of people saying doctors should be paid more they've decided it means tram drivers are greedy.

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 17:25 on Apr 10, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Someone has clearly never worked customer service if they think it's not high stress.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

Someone has clearly never worked customer service if they think it's not high stress.

And sometimes people will go so far as thanking/appreciating the work EMTs do. My MIL still sends Thank You cards to the EMTs that helped her during her cardiac arrest.

When's the last time someone gave the overburdened host a second thought after getting their table? Or the person working the register with a line out the door, once they have their meal comped for a made-up reason? The guy who rang you up with your thousand coupons? The dishwasher? The person gathering carts from the parking lot?

The trips into Hell are on the label for jobs in emergency services. You know what's up when you apply for that.

Hell just follows you into customer service. It finds you.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

A lot of idiots seem to think that fast food workers spend most of their day lazing around, occasionally slapping a burger together at a rate of one per hour if those "burgers will cost $12" memes are to believed.

I find the dumb "soldiers make less than fast food!' memes especially hilarious, as I did both fast food and the military for several years and even if the pay were as similar as these idiots think (which it's not) I'd cheerfully take a year in Afghanistan over a year working full time at a McDonalds, much less the sitting around in garrison most of the Army is going to be doing until the next war.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

This one really pisses me off. For one thing, EMS gets paid poo poo. Like, a 15 dollar an hour minimum wage would give every EMT-B I know a 4 dollar an hour raise, even if there wasn't that whole "ripple effect", where most jobs would see increases above just going to the new minimum wage. Even most medics I know are at 17-18 dollars an hour, so they'd see some pretty substantial raises as well. It'd still pay better than Dunkin, that's for sure.

Also, if you're driving a box truck "as fast as the fucker will go", you're doing it wrong. Flooring it saves a minute or two, tops, where getting into an accident delays care indefinitely. Going lights and sirens isn't a license to drive like a maniac. And walking into a "junkie den" at 2 am without PD is some stupid cowboy poo poo. Scene safety is one of the first things they teach you in any sort of EMS training. Don't put yourself or your crew in danger because you're too cool to wait for PD (j/k, whoever wrote this probably doesn't do that, they just want to seem all burned out because they think it's cool).

And prices are projected to go up a whopping 4.3 percent with a 15 dollar minimum wage. So your coffee and donut will probably cost an extra fifteen cents, not ten dollars.

That's not even getting into that whole burnout attitude. EMS people loving love to post this kind of thing on facebook. The EMT doing some kind of pose in a messy ambulance with the caption "I'm sorry, I tried" is another popular one that makes me roll my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"I need a raise, boss. $15/hr is not enough for the responsibility of being an EMS driver."
"Howabout if I LOWER EVERYONE ELSE'S PAY?"
"That's literally the same thing and just as satisfying to me, because I'm a huge idiot baby."