Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Hmm now you have me more confused. I have no idea what you mean by permissions prompt. I don't think I've ever seen a confirmation when changing salr settings. I double checked the settings json and inlinetweet is presently set to false. By normal style above I meant inline images, white rectangle etc, whereas regardless of the option right now I see the tweet text, but not the actual twitter url.
Could you provide some screenshots of what you mean? In any case, this setting is going to be removed shortly though as it is natively handled by the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
OK so here is a random post:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3648105&perpage=40&pagenumber=865#post458381968

This is what I see with SALR:

This is what I see in an incognito window:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Does SALR for Chrome have a feature to open all my bookmarked threads in tabs?

I had a Tampermonkey script for this but seems like it's finally broken and I can't be bothered trying to fix it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

VodeAndreas posted:

Does SALR for Chrome have a feature to open all my bookmarked threads in tabs?

Yes. The feature also works just in the forums for threads with new posts.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks,

Does what I was after and makes the forums a bit more colourful too.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Hi, love this extension. Would it be possible to get a night mode as well? I'd like to be able to read the forums at night with a dark screen, thanks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Hmm now you have me more confused. I have no idea what you mean by permissions prompt. I don't think I've ever seen a confirmation when changing salr settings. I double checked the settings json and inlinetweet is presently set to false. By normal style above I meant inline images, white rectangle etc, whereas regardless of the option right now I see the tweet text, but not the actual twitter url.

When you check the option (Thread Options > Convert Tweet links to inline), there should be a popup at the top of Chrome that says "This extension wants to view data from api.twitter.com. Allow/Block?" and once you Allow that the tweets will view properly.

You may have to check the option then view a page with a tweet, I don't remember.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

LastInLine posted:

When you check the option (Thread Options > Convert Tweet links to inline), there should be a popup at the top of Chrome that says "This extension wants to view data from api.twitter.com. Allow/Block?" and once you Allow that the tweets will view properly.

You may have to check the option then view a page with a tweet, I don't remember.
No, not anymore. If you have the option disabled, now SA will do it for you. Even if you have it enabled SA is doing it. Hence it's going away (maybe I'll replace it with an option to disable embedding).

Fuzzy Mammal: Looking into this, I'm not sure SALR is the cause of the failure. What happens when you disable SALR and browse SA in normal browser mode? Do tweets embed correctly then?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

Hi, love this extension. Would it be possible to get a night mode as well? I'd like to be able to read the forums at night with a dark screen, thanks.

Just use the dark reader chome extension.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

kri kri posted:

Just use the dark reader chome extension.

Hey thanks, that works perfectly.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Master_Odin posted:

No, not anymore. If you have the option disabled, now SA will do it for you. Even if you have it enabled SA is doing it. Hence it's going away (maybe I'll replace it with an option to disable embedding).

Fuzzy Mammal: Looking into this, I'm not sure SALR is the cause of the failure. What happens when you disable SALR and browse SA in normal browser mode? Do tweets embed correctly then?

I'm not Fuzzy Mammal but I'm having an apparently identical problem. I disabled SALR and viewed an embedded tweet in normal browser mode, it still displayed as plain text.

E: and as soon as I post about it I get an idea how to fix it. I had installed Ghostery and it was blocking the Twitter Button element, unchecking that fixed it immediately.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 30, 2016

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
For some reason, SALR likes to freeze when loading a new page on the forums. Is this a known issue? It only started happening recently.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

MohShuvuu posted:

For some reason, SALR likes to freeze when loading a new page on the forums. Is this a known issue? It only started happening recently.

I've noticed for a week or so that SALR hasn't been working at all, and just yesterday I started getting freezes and had to disable it.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

MohShuvuu posted:

It has to do with how it's setting up the Quick Reply box as it's fetching all smilies from SA for potentially displaying them (though most are actually being served from a browser cache so you don't actually have a bandwidth hit). I need to rewrite this to be more asynchronous so that you can't actually open the smiley list until they're loaded, but don't stop SALR from loading in in the meantime.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 4, 2016

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

MohShuvuu posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's been running into this.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Same, been happening for a few weeks it seems, pretty much freezes my whole browser on my Macbook Air for a few seconds.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

MohShuvuu posted:

To be specific, it's new pages in threads. And it's really annoying. Hangs Chrome completely for a few seconds.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Master_Odin posted:

I can't get tweets to convert to inline by any combination of settings or even disabling the extension, either. Is that still a thing the forums are supposed to do?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Javid posted:

I can't get tweets to convert to inline by any combination of settings or even disabling the extension, either. Is that still a thing the forums are supposed to do?

Are you blocking Twitter with Ghostery or some other privacy extension?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
So I had trouble with my SALR Redux Button extension for Chrome, and tried to reinstall this extension. However, when I tried to add it from the Chrome store, the button just says "checking..." and nothing happens. Is this normal?

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Master_Odin posted:

It has to do with how it's setting up the Quick Reply box as it's fetching all smilies from SA for potentially displaying them (though most are actually being served from a browser cache so you don't actually have a bandwidth hit). I need to rewrite this to be more asynchronous so that you can't actually open the smiley list until they're loaded, but don't stop SALR from loading in in the meantime.

Oh so that's what it is! I was trying to disable as many options as I could and I'd never expect the quick reply to do it.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
New version that should hopefully fix the freeze people are having (at least it's moved to when you actually open the smiley tab on the right instead of when loading the tab):

Changelog posted:

:siren: v2.1.8.10 :siren:
* Fix: Improve the scrolling on page loads to be at the beginning of the post more reliably
* Remove: Strip out settings and code related to tweet embedding as forums now handle it natively
* Fix: Youtube frame should inheriet http/https correctly from parent (thanks recycleddan)
* Fix: Freeze when browsing thread with Quick Reply enabled (thanks cmaggard)

Nickoten posted:

So I had trouble with my SALR Redux Button extension for Chrome, and tried to reinstall this extension. However, when I tried to add it from the Chrome store, the button just says "checking..." and nothing happens. Is this normal?
That would not be normal! I'll investigate it.

Javid posted:

Well, good news for you is that SALR does not handle twitter inlining at all anymore and any complaints about it not working should be taken to the Technical Thread or by disabling some other extension on your computer.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Awesome, the freezing is gone on my end with my regular browsing. Thanks for the update.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Is quick reply live preview supposed to not work (it matches an initial quote/edit but doesn't follow further input, which sort of defeats the purpose) on Chrome 51 on Mac or Windows?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
No, it should not be doing that and this is definitely a bug, oh boy.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

SALR is hanging the forums for me, page views don't complete and chrome gives up on the tab. Disabling SALR restores normal operation. This was happening for me on Chrome 50.x it's still happening on 52.x so I don't think it's version specific.

Edit: this could be a Linux Chrome specific issue, rebooted into windows 7 and chrome version 51.x seems fine with SALR so far.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 30, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What the hell does 'Don't convert links containing images' option mean for setting that converts links containing images?

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."

kalstrams posted:

What the hell does 'Don't convert links containing images' option mean for setting that converts links containing images?

I believe what it means is that if someone is using an image link, like what you see in some LPs to link to videos, that it won't replace the existing image with the linked image.

For example, in this post there are a bunch of links to videos, containing images.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nuvan posted:

I believe what it means is that if someone is using an image link, like what you see in some LPs to link to videos, that it won't replace the existing image with the linked image.

For example, in this post there are a bunch of links to videos, containing images.
Oh, I see.

Edit: Does some setting disable the automatic [img] and/or [timg] tags for pasting images into reply window or something?

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 1, 2016

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Is quick reply live preview supposed to not work (it matches an initial quote/edit but doesn't follow further input, which sort of defeats the purpose) on Chrome 51 on Mac or Windows?
So I finally got around to dealing with the pull request that fixed this and have now released that to the web store so live preview should work again as it did previously.

kalstrams posted:

Oh, I see.

Edit: Does some setting disable the automatic [img] and/or [timg] tags for pasting images into reply window or something?
If you're talking about the automatic tag insertion that's happening in the normal reply window (and not quick reply), that's the normal SA JS behavior and not SALR. You can go to http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=editoptions and toggle the setting for "Disable advanced posting features?" to not do this anymore.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Master_Odin posted:

If you're talking about the automatic tag insertion that's happening in the normal reply window (and not quick reply), that's the normal SA JS behavior and not SALR. You can go to http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=editoptions and toggle the setting for "Disable advanced posting features?" to not do this anymore.
Well yeah I'm complaining that this extension doesn't do something that trivial, like, say, SA Needful does.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Is there a way to have SALR less aggressively parse Youtube links?

I'm trying to link a youtube video thats over an hour long at a specific point however the Quick Reply rips out the t= part of the url.
I've unchecked parse urls, but it still does it. I've tried wrapping the url in url tags but the only fix is to disable converting youtube to inline, Post and then re-enable.

I'll make a suggestion for SALR to handle time points in inline youtube. But a quick fix might be to have Parse URLs ignore youtube links if unchecked.

Edit: just discovered the full reply does this, just not quick reply.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 10, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SALR Chrome is no longer rendering forums emotes in live preview. (53.0.2785.113 m x64 on Windows 10.0.14393.187)

Before you ask, 'Disable smilies' is unchecked.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Did I miss it in the options or is there any way to make Youtube links work as they normally do on the forums? Right now the only options are to either have the links remain links or turn into pink links that then open a player in the post, which is what I'm after without a step in between.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Stare-Out posted:

Did I miss it in the options or is there any way to make Youtube links work as they normally do on the forums? Right now the only options are to either have the links remain links or turn into pink links that then open a player in the post, which is what I'm after without a step in between.
You want the inline youtube player to have the links maximized/open by default?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Master_Odin posted:

You want the inline youtube player to have the links maximized/open by default?

I noticed earlier actually that links do convert normally to show the inline player in posts with SALR after all, but yeah, I didn't see if there was an option to auto-show the pink youtube links.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Are there any plans to include the imgur uploader for Quick Replies like the Firefox SALR does?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Just switched over to Chrome from Firefox and have installed SALR from the Chrome Web Store or whatever it's called.

Have set it up, but I can't seem to get it to work - the icon never goes "active" and the Forum Jump List isn't loading.

I've been browsing around the forums a bit (obvs, as I'm writing this) which is normally how you got the Firefox SALR to load everything and initialise, but it's not working.

Am I being a thickie?

//edit: Apparently I was being a thickie - I got a warning appear on the forums home just after posting this directing me to SALR Redux.

All sorted now!

GazChap fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 4, 2016

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
where the heck is the option for highlighting read posts dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

gently caress Whitey posted:

where the heck is the option for highlighting read posts dammit

Isn't that a forum option and not a SALR thing?

• Locked thread