Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Make drugs legal so the prices go down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Top quality advice right here.
If they ain't shelling out a pile of cash, it's not even worth thinking about. They'll be using you as a profit tool, so make drat sure you're profiting as well.

Word, I think she should just say no but I was thinking along the lines of "give her some cash dickholes" she got piss all in restoration from the guilty party in her event. $1000 paid in $20 a week amounts. Big fucken hairy deal.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

door.jar posted:

EDIT: Much like Payroll Giving from a few years back which cost lots in administration etc. but nets basically nothing for actual charities.

Oh? I started a new job recently and they were offering payroll giving in the contract. I thought it sounded like a decent idea, but I don't want to do it if, as you say, it's no more than an ineffective administration nightmare. Do you have any more info on the subject?

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

504 posted:

Any of you gentlemen familiar with the TV3 show "Story"? I watch everything online and have literally never heard of it before today, the reason I ask is my partner has been approached by them to take part in a story and I'm VERY skeptical and suspicious of TV journalism.

She went through an extremely bad time last year and frankly I'm terrified they are going to pull a Paul Homes "questions designed to get her crying for ratings" trick.

Pretty sure its the show that replaced Campbell Live, and stars Duncan Garner and Heather du Plesis [spl?]. Either way its magazine journalism at best, they did the whole 'look how easy it was to buy a gun off the internet' piece a few months back.

Prob not worth it as I'd imagine they'd try hard to get tears for ratings as you say.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Reminder that Wellington's night shelter costs money ($10 or $20 a night, I can't remember). In the past week or so I've noticed security guards replacing beggars around the place :(

504 posted:

Any of you gentlemen familiar with the TV3 show "Story"? I watch everything online and have literally never heard of it before today, the reason I ask is my partner has been approached by them to take part in a story and I'm VERY skeptical and suspicious of TV journalism.

She went through an extremely bad time last year and frankly I'm terrified they are going to pull a Paul Homes "questions designed to get her crying for ratings" trick.

Story is poo poo but not in a sneaky, underhanded way, make of that what you will.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I fucken knew it...

She's already not keen to be on camera but wants to support the petition the other people on the show are running. I just realised I have no idea how they contacted her or how they know about us, I'll ask.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Exclamation Marx posted:

Reminder that Wellington's night shelter costs money ($10 or $20 a night, I can't remember). In the past week or so I've noticed security guards replacing beggars around the place :(

It's $10, according to the website. I don't know whose bright idea it was to charge a door fee for a service normally aimed at people who don't have a steady income; makes the whole thing a bit pointless, really. A lot of the homeless people who've spoken to me about it don't bother going for that reason, which is pretty sad (and also infuriating) :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Sin of Onan posted:

I don't know whose bright idea it was to charge a door fee

Hint: it wasn't a poor oval office.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

504 posted:

Yeah, I fucken knew it...

She's already not keen to be on camera but wants to support the petition the other people on the show are running. I just realised I have no idea how they contacted her or how they know about us, I'll ask.

Can you give us more details on what it's about?

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
CYF outsourcing has me a tad worried.

Can't wait til we get Serco-esque reports in a few years

truther fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 8, 2016

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

truther posted:

CYF outsourcing has me a tad worried.

Can't wait til we get Serco-esque reports in a few years

Child Youth and Family?

*holds envelope up to head*

All things National doesn't give a gently caress about, weeeowwwwwwwwwww

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
As someone who works closely with CYF and mental health services I hate to see the word "privatised" or "outsourced" floating around them.

As flawed as both services are, privatisation will only make it worse (and in the case of mental health its a slap in the face to under fund the service and then think about paying a private company to take over aspects of it).

In both services it's about needing proper resourcing and people rather than out sourcing. Most CYF caregivers are not given adequate training or information about the past of the kids they take on, and are provided with no respite as well. Saying things like "more caregivers" won't achieve anything. Most social workers have massive case loads so end up working reactively rather than proactive.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Ghostlight posted:

Here's how you stop homeless from spending their money on drugs and alcohol: improve their life so they don't spend all their time trying to escape it.

Yeah but rich people do coke so it's clearly not escapism and *faaaaaaaaaaaart*

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

The Sin of Onan posted:

Oh? I started a new job recently and they were offering payroll giving in the contract. I thought it sounded like a decent idea, but I don't want to do it if, as you say, it's no more than an ineffective administration nightmare. Do you have any more info on the subject?

Assuming your employer isn't matching contributions or something then the only real reason is that you get to claim the tax benefit of your donation now rather than at tax return time. And in return you are limited to a set of charities picked by your employer and you cause paperwork for both them and the charity in question.

Since 2010 only $14 million has been donated via Payroll Giving nationwide which is very low (half a flag vote) given how much it was trumpeted as a needed thing and the extra administration it has cost in the meantime.

Maybe I'm just biased because I had to deal with deploying Payroll software when it was rolled out and it was basically never used by anyone.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Can confirm - been working payroll setups in the thousands for the last few months, haven't seen a single Payroll giving donation.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
The Auckland Council Port Future Study seems like a pretty blatant snow job to reach a recommendation to extend the existing port into the Waitemata like they were about to do last year. I don't see why Marsden Point would be left off the short list if they were seriously looking at alternative port sites. Much less Muriwai being on the short list.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

So it looks like WCC wasn't really considering making it illegal to give money to beggars. The report on the problem that they were considering actually only mentioned it based on similar campaigns in the UK, and said that it isn't likely to work. So there's a bit of speculation where the idea that it might be implemented even came from. Here:

http://wellingtonista.com/2016/04/08/beggars/

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Nice, Clayton Cosgrove is going to quit Parliament

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

fong posted:

So it looks like WCC wasn't really considering making it illegal to give money to beggars. The report on the problem that they were considering actually only mentioned it based on similar campaigns in the UK, and said that it isn't likely to work. So there's a bit of speculation where the idea that it might be implemented even came from. Here:

Without knowing what was actually going on inside WCC I suspect that the idea of fining people giving to beggars may have been brought up either by an elected member or by some member of the public who made a deputation to elected members about it. It could also have been an opinion of someone who works at the WCC but chances are SOMEONE has brought this up during some previous council meetings,and since it has been brought up it has to be addressed in the report.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

Nice, Clayton Cosgrove is going to quit Parliament

Nice.

I'm generally too disgusted to pay attention to domestic politics however. Who is Clayton Cosgrove and why should I enjoy his removal from authority?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Nice.

I'm generally too disgusted to pay attention to domestic politics however. Who is Clayton Cosgrove and why should I enjoy his removal from authority?

Being in authority pretty much automatically makes him a fascist pig fucker so it doesn't really matter who he is (I don't know either).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

He's a Labour MP from Canterbury.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
He's the Waitakere man who removes all reference to the Labour Party when campaigning

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

fong posted:

Lobsterpillar posted:

Without knowing what was actually going on inside WCC I suspect that the idea of fining people giving to beggars may have been brought up either by an elected member or by some member of the public who made a deputation to elected members about it. It could also have been an opinion of someone who works at the WCC but chances are SOMEONE has brought this up during some previous council meetings,and since it has been brought up it has to be addressed in the report.

Councillor Nicola Young is running for mayor this year and announced one of her policies would be to introduce a bylaw banning begging in the CBD, and then appeared to spend literally hours insulting people on her Facebook page who suggested the proposal was idiotic.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Is her home in the CBD? Perhaps the homeless could beg outside her home morning and evening instead? After all, she's most definitely got money to waste.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

Can confirm - been working payroll setups in the thousands for the last few months, haven't seen a single Payroll giving donation.

If you don't mind answering, where do you work?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

In construction, is about all I think I can safely say. At least, mostly construction.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Sir Richie is a tweet thief

https://twitter.com/EmmaQuinlan/status/718890619234607108

https://twitter.com/RichieHMcCaw/status/719024118427836416

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Wait is that real

He changed his loving Twitter name to "sir"

gently caress everything

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

gently caress EVERYTHING

Fixed.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
It's not his real twitter, idiots.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
That guy pretending to be Richie McCaw is a tweet thief

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I can't believe the guy who stole a name for a twitter account would stoop so low as to steal content as well.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Wait is that real

He changed his loving Twitter name to "sir"

gently caress everything

Bit of a clue that it's not really him is that he's not really a sir

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Right Honourable John Key.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Right Honourable John Key.

Half-correct, which is more than we can say of the man himself.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

El Pollo Blanco posted:

It's not his real twitter, idiots.

Whoa, you sure served those of us not obsessed with twitter/a rugby player!!

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

Well the "prominent new zealander" is found not guilty on all charges because the teen victims were "inconsistent" with their testimony.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11621085

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Here's a list of non-creepy non-perv non-molesting reasons an older man might repeatedly engage in massaging teenagers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emminou
May 25, 2006

from the stuff article about this posted:

Defence lawyer Arthur Fairley produced half a dozen photographs of the accused in close company or embraces with the complainants, which he said the accused had gathered in a concerted effort to prove the allegations against him were baseless.

Fairley contended the girls would never have been in such close proximity with the accused, let alone be photographed with him, if he had abused them.

This is an insane argument.

• Locked thread