Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Bats likes 'em thick. He only bangs models to keep up his secret identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Angela Christine posted:

They should have just got Lynda Carter. Sure, she's over 60 now, but they could write that into the script.

This is how she looked in 2011/2012.

Still Wonder Woman to me.

:laffo: This chick drank too much evolution juice before the spaceship landed on Pandorum.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
:lol: CD already circling the wagons with the good press Civil War is getting "EVERY COMIC BOOK MOVIE GETS GOOD SOCIAL MEDIA REVIEWS BECAUSE THEY ARE JUST HAPPY TO SEE IT FIRST!!!"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

This, and also when has a military superpower ever not taken something effective and some pants-making GBS threads idiot general not been like "make a bigger one that costs all the money!"

Jame Cameron plans to make a Battle Angel Alita movie, so we'll get to see this.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Say Nothing posted:

Jame Cameron plans to make a Battle Angel Alita movie, so we'll get to see this.

So Battle Angel is a Saddam Biography.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

The whole thing with the Barjack's rail gun is hilariously sad because they pour so much effort, time, and resources into it, it gets one shot off and it fails to penetrate the shield of Zalem/Tiphares and immediately after they fire it off, it gets loving melted by the electromagnetic scalar weapon of Zalem/Tiphares' defense network and then the Gally/Alita clone chops most of the gang up..

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

the prequels were poo poo but so was tfa. the only ones worth watching are the unedited originals and Lucas made sure to destroy them lol.

When will disney release the unedited originals... when

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Ben affleck is a handsome boy

Also Lynda Carter, dang

naem
May 29, 2011

Immortan posted:

When will disney release the unedited originals... when

Can you really not buy the originals

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

I have copies on VHS from the early nineties and I think that was the last time you could get the unedited versions.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

There was briefly a DVD release of the original trilogy before the prequels were announced I think (though even that may have had some changes because Lucas has piddled around with certain sounds and stuff for years) so you can find bootlegs of that for sale or download some times.

E: There may have been a Laserdisc version at some point, too.

EE: But no, there is no legal way to purchase the original films other than second-hand at this point. Usually on VHS.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 10, 2016

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

naem posted:

No you cannot because George Lucas is a loving piece of poo poo. I haven't watched the originals since I lost my unedited VHS versions in the 90s. I've heard Lucas has even edited Hayden Christenson into ROTJ. :stare:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

He shat out a really abyssmal transfer on DVD in like 03 and packed it in with the altered versions.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

george lucas posted:

Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tomorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with “fresher faces,” or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor’s lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new “original” negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control. In order to reconstruct old negatives, many archivists have had to go to Eastern bloc countries where American films have been better preserved.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be “replaced” by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.

There is nothing to stop American films, records, books, and paintings from being sold to a foreign entity or egotistical gangsters and having them change our cultural heritage to suit their personal taste.

:ironicat:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Immortan posted:

I've heard Lucas has even edited Hayden Christenson into ROTJ. :stare:

This is literally true. He passionately argued against this very thing much earlier in his career in a Senate hearing, since Turner had been buying up tons of old movies and colorizing them and editing them for content and not really keeping the original cuts around. He even warned that technology would allow someone to replace the original actors with younger, fresher faces, or change lines and alter the message and meaning of a scene or entire movie! Then he apparently made it his life's mission to do so. The only real difference is that he was the original license holder, whereas Turner was not, so apparently Lucas is fine with making GBS threads up your old stuff with endless tweaking, but not other people's stuff.

E: Beaten like a fridged wife.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Immortan posted:

No you cannot because George Lucas is a loving piece of poo poo. I haven't watched the originals since I lost my unedited VHS versions in the 90s. I've heard Lucas has even edited Hayden Christenson into ROTJ. :stare:

When I saw that I was legit :stonk:. Like what the gently caress, he literally purged the original actor from the scene and it makes no sense

like who the gently caress thought that was okay, how do you even come up with an idea like that

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

When I saw that I was legit :stonk:. Like what the gently caress, he literally purged the original actor from the scene and it makes no sense

like who the gently caress thought that was okay, how do you even come up with an idea like that

I think at some point you can have your head so far up your own rear end that you pop out from the inside of your own throat and whisper "Midi-chlorians"

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

tbh do you want to imagine as a ghost you'd still be an old dude who looks like a cross between a mannequin and a strip of bacon?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It was even more bizarre since he left old Obiwan in the scene. He makes CD seem like an oasis of good ideas.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

ocrumsprug posted:

It was even more bizarre since he left old Obiwan in the scene. He makes CD seem like an oasis of good ideas.

I think that was changed eventually so it was Ewan McGreggor instead of Alec Guinness standing there with Hayden. It's actually hard to keep up with the loving changes.

E: Or I imagined it, but who could blame me at this point?

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 10, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Immortan posted:

believe it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1-4U6GXPnc

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Groovelord Neato posted:

hachi machi *fans self*

force awakens was quite to very good. sorry about your also severely broken brain.

sorry but if you're not already a star wars fan then it was super contrived and boring. so many pointless terrible scenes (squid-monster fight, poo poo villains, space battle with like 5 ships lol)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Not looking good for BvS this weekend. It got beat out by Melissa Macarthy's The Boss on Friday by $2 million dollars.

http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/box-office-melissa-mccarthy-boss-batman-v-superman-1201749145/

quote:

“Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and Melissa McCarthy’s “The Boss” are headed down to the wire in a tight fight for the top spot at the U.S. box office at about $22 million each this weekend.

Universal’s “The Boss” ruled Friday with an estimated $8.1 million in its opening day at 3,480 sites — $2 million better than the 15th day of “Batman v Superman,” which is projected to make up the difference during the rest of the weekend.

No matter which title tops the weekend, it will likely be the third-lowest winner of 2016. “The Revenant” won the Jan. 22-24 frame with $16 million in its fifth weekend and “Kung Fu Panda” topped the Feb. 5-7 frame with $21.2 million in its second weekend.

Mid-week forecasts had shown “Batman v Superman,” which is playing at 4,102 locations, coming in at $25 million and “The Boss” set to finish at $21 million.

If “Batman v Superman” finishes at $22 million, it will represent a 58% decline from the second weekend’s $53.1 million. The superhero tentpole slid 69% from its $166 million opening weekend, the seventh best of all time.

“Batman v Superman” is now looking to wind up this weekend with a 17-day total of around $295 million. It’s been beset by mostly negative reviews — although the notices for “The Boss” have been even less supportive with an 18% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

This is what happens when most people can't appreciate true art. For shame........

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

sorry but if you're not already a star wars fan then it was super contrived and boring. so many pointless terrible scenes (squid-monster fight, poo poo villains, space battle with like 5 ships lol)

nah. i know a bunch of people that got dragged to see it and never saw the originals and enjoyed it. the "space battle with 5 ships" was mostly a background for character drama on the ground and the squid monster fight was to get them on the falcon and abandon the big freighter.

Berk Berkly posted:

I think at some point you can have your head so far up your own rear end that you pop out from the inside of your own throat and whisper "Midi-chlorians"

it doesn't even make sense storywise since vader came back to being good before he died.

"i've got to save you"
"you already have luke."

he also added vader screaming NOOOOO when he grabs palpatine and throws him down the shaft ruining probably the most powerful emotional moment in the movies.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 10, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
George isn't very good

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

he also added vader screaming NOOOOO when he grabs palpatine and throws him down the shaft ruining probably the most powerful emotional moment in the movies.

He also added a scream to Luke plunging off the tower in Empire to escape Vader, but fortunately rolled it back in a later cut. He's basically vandalizing his own movies it's weird.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Groovelord Neato posted:

nah. i know a bunch of people that got dragged to see it and never saw the originals and enjoyed it. the "space battle with 5 ships" was mostly a background for character drama on the ground and the squid monster fight was to get them on the falcon and abandon the big freighter.

:lol: sure thing slugger, and how many people have you told irl "it's the greatest star wars since empire!!"

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Young Freud posted:

Not looking good for BvS this weekend. It got beat out by Melissa Macarthy's The Boss on Friday by $2 million dollars.

http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/box-office-melissa-mccarthy-boss-batman-v-superman-1201749145/

That is hilarious. I had never even heard of "The Boss" until just now, and it's beating a loving Batman movie with advertising on every Doritos bag.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

:lol: sure thing slugger, and how many people have you told irl "it's the greatest star wars since empire!!"

i mean it was?? like objectively speaking. that wasn't a high bar to hurdle.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Doflamingo posted:

This is what happens when most people can't appreciate true art. For shame........

I honestly think I've entered bizarro world.

BvS was great and retroactively makes Man of Steel even better, while TFA (the least interesting star wars film ever made) and all the recent Marvel films are just lukewarm dreck.

It turns out all people want to see is Iron Man making a sardonic quip. Or Captain America making a sardonic quip. Or Hawkeye making a sardonic quip. Or Ultron making a sardonic quip....gently caress's sake.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Would BvS at this point be considered the sonic 06 of dc movies?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rabelais D posted:

BvS was great and retroactively makes Man of Steel even better

don't comment on movies ever.

or stick to cd where having no ability to judge films is a strength and not a weakness.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
people have a right to their opinion son, especially on comic book movies because they are all hot garbage so who cares

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
the cined thread is talking about this thread talking about the cined thread

lfield
May 10, 2008

Rabelais D posted:

BvS was great and retroactively makes Man of Steel even better, while TFA (the least interesting star wars film ever made) and all the recent Marvel films are just lukewarm dreck.

all comic book movies are dreck. but some of them have fun with it and some are dour & boring

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Rabelais D posted:

tbh I don't mind the dour bleakness of BvS, I just wish Zack Snyder could tell an actual story instead of trying to set up a death grips music video in the middle of his movie. seriously, look up any specific thing that snyder is universally praised for (the opening of Watchmen, the first Watchmen trailer, the first Sucker Punch dream sequence)--they are all meant to resemble music videos.

the great thing about music videos is you don't need any context for the images you portray; most music videos start in medias res, as if they were part of a larger story. what snyder does is take a whole bunch of cool-looking things and shove them together with only the barest minimum of narrative thread connecting them. it ends up being a thematic hodge podge

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the opening part of watchmen that snyder is praised for is the bob dylan times we are a changin' intro right not the first proper scene of the story that he turns into an amped up fight scene with ample slo-mo

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

quote:

“Batman v Superman” is now looking to wind up this weekend with a 17-day total of around $295 million. It’s been beset by mostly negative reviews — although the notices for “The Boss” have been even less supportive with an 18% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

"American's pay millions to see unpopular movies: News at 11."

So, at the end of the day, being out nearly 3 weeks, it's made nearly $300M, which is probably pretty good. At this rate, it'll probably do between $320-$340M domestically, or maybe climb as high as $375-$400M if the rumors of WB re-releasing as the extended R-rated cut are true. All things considered, it's not really the flop I think most people are making it out to be with the exception of it not making half-billion dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I am glad that I have goons to tell me that the 2bn-grossing star war movie that debuted to near-universal critical praise was, in fact, bad.

• Locked thread