Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Captain Beans posted:

Yikes got the Furutaka 1921 and it is the first ship I've not really liked. Are any of the cruisers worthwhile (for random pub games, not fleets).

The Furutaka isn't that bad really, being the only heavy cruiser at that tier is worth something. Just ignore the dumb fixed torpedoes and shoot cruisers or destroyers with your guns. It's significantly better than the low tier Germans at least. The Aoba is pretty bad but still not as bad as the low tier Germans, but the Myoko is good and worth it.

Heavy cruisers are generally worthwhile, the ones with six guns just aren't great examples. Light cruisers are okay, but small high tier games are bad for them and there are only two or three light cruisers that aren't complete garbage or too high tier to see big matches.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Today I killed a Yamato plan B with the guns on my Surcouf.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Log082 posted:

We live in the best of all timelines.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Log082 posted:

Today I killed two DDs who, while attempting torps runs on my sub, collided directly above the submarine I'd just launched my torps at. I think that was my first torp triple kill.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The second the pubby CA said 'I'll get their CAs, DDs fight their DDs!' against two enemy CAs and DDs I knew we were in trouble. Especially as I was in the Nagato Proto and so couldn't do poo poo about DDs.

He had a 22% winrate in his Hipper. Am I literally the only good Hipper driver in this loving game.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Applied to the fleet as Rent.

I am gay etc.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Our ranks swell and grow turgid.

Violent action ensues.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
I bought the I 201 on sale,

Trip report: Its a type 7 U-boat but smaller, more maneuverable and goes 21 knots underwater (25 with my underwater afterburner dude).

It doesn't hit very hard but it is an annoying little poo poo to kill :v:

Edit: Seriously I need to make a video of this, watching destroyers try to depth charge me is like watching a police chase but the criminal is in a super fast go kart.

Lockmart Lawndart fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 10, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Last night I got to watch Danaan serial-knife people with a Benson, blow up a DD in one shot with British cannons, and Kommy hold a sub under in his sub until the guy drowned. The 'teamkill' for drowning him also marked him as a TKer. He got held under until he turned blue.

That was a fantastic night battle.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I just got the Colorado (more like Crap-o-rado) and I'm having typical new bote growing pains with it. Of course its just stock right now so I know it will get better as I upgrade it.

I know Goons have a way of taking a bad bote but finding ways to be effective in it so I was curious about any pointers you guys can offer.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Colorado really needs its 6.3km gun upgrade to shine. Before that the speed hobbles its ability to contribute to fights a lot.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Speed of the shells or speed of the bote?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bote. The shells are actually fairly fast for 16 inchers.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Panfilo posted:

I just got the Colorado (more like Crap-o-rado) and I'm having typical new bote growing pains with it. Of course its just stock right now so I know it will get better as I upgrade it.

I know Goons have a way of taking a bad bote but finding ways to be effective in it so I was curious about any pointers you guys can offer.

I free XP'd the SoDak (.. I think that's the t8) even after free XP'ing the guns (and radar and other stuff) on the Colorado. I'm not the only one in our fleet to do so. The Pennsylvania's awesomeness can swing many matches that are otherwise hosed by pubbie team mates, but the Colorado can't. If you can group up a lot with decent goons it's not terrible but it's just not a good boat even upgraded.

I burned out playing that, the I-58, and the Benson, struggling to get even the one win a day on each during the couple hours I have each day. Better to play fun boats for commander training and then just burn global exp (2k/day adds up) to pass those pieces of poo poo once playing them feels like a never-ending struggle rather than fun.

So higher tiers - smaller subs are better for the sub spotting strat? t4/t5 IJN subs were fine and fun, but being a giant whale that takes 9/10 seconds to submerge doesn't seem to fit the higher tier playstyles. Is the US line preferable or the German line for t6 and up?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Not sure about subs, but based on personal observations the US subs are much, much more popular at higher tiers. Seen several Trench class, occasionally I'll see a high tier German sub, and rarely if ever a Japanese sub.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The few high tier U-Boats I've seen are generally a pain in the rear end to kill, but they are also driven by dudes like Ice Forge and never1225 who play them very well.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Hadn't played 5v5 in ages, then finally did a pickup game today since I don't usually have time on Saturdays, and in spite of a random grouping we did pretty well. Nice to get another 90 merit.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Gimnbo posted:

I applied to the Goons fleet. Based on how much I hated the World of Tanks spotting system, I should have absolutely hated this game but when your ship can actually take hits it's a lot less frustrating.

Can't play CVs at all, though.

Is your IGN the same as here because I am blind and cannot find your name

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Applied to the fleet as Rent.

I am gay etc.

You are in congrats and get your free Repulse despite being discontinued
http://store.steampowered.com/app/430110/?snr=1_5_1100__1100

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Groggy nard posted:

Is your IGN the same as here because I am blind and cannot find your name

It is. I apologize for forgetting to clarify that.

I hope I actually clicked the button.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Applied to the fleet as Oglogoth.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Gimnbo posted:

It is. I apologize for forgetting to clarify that.

I hope I actually clicked the button.

Oglogoth posted:

Applied to the fleet as Oglogoth.

I finally found and accepted both of yours.

Would've done it earlier but I was pub crawling saturday night.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
To all new fleet members, once you get a Fubuki, Wyoming, Independence (or hell, just any tier 3 or 4 you can muster) be sure to join us in Fleet Battles on Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings/evenings! Ask about getting into Mumble so you can participate in Goon rushes. Even new people can help; keep in mind we can do all right vs some fleets being outnumbered 7 to 10 so every new Goon, no matter how inexperienced, helps!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Colorado has now defeated both Bismark and Yamato (Plan B) in close range broadside fights.

Colorado is a badass bote.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

May Standard Battleships rule the waves that is Steel Ocean. :911:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

33000 damage in one match from repeated fights with that Bismark.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I only regret not knowing the Taiho was sunk by Albacore irl beforehand so I could have recorded me going all Historical Accuracy on Lockmarts' Taiho :sludgepal:

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 11, 2016

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
Somers is awesome, had no issues dealing with 2 Bensons and having a ton of life left afterwards (with a guest appearance of Groggy stomping everyone in a Northampton).

While in an Asahio I saw a good Gato and then next battle a Drum, died to both. The Gato spun around and dropped a wave of torps at me after a series of engagements, but I could at least see him and hit him with a torp that took him to 700 life. Next game I'm fighting a Porter and Pensacola and my sonar never spotted the Drum even after he fired a spread of torps at maybe 1-1.5km away while I was engaging the surface ships, must've been going slow as hell or something. Werner ended up pulling a draw off in a Myoko vs 2 Drums including the guy who popped me, taking one out as it tried to cap, which was fairly epic.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
The gold is in, though I'm a bit disappointed that it's far less than I hoped. We got about 10,000 gold each, not bad but also not the ~50,000 I thought we'd get either. It really didn't feel like there were that many people playing this week.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, on the other hand, it means like 4500 people did the event, which means the game's doing better than we feared.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
They probably just didn't distribute 50 million because the population is so small and 50k a person means nobody is buying poo poo anymore. I hoped they wouldn't pull poo poo like that but it's not surprising. It's really unlikely the server pop was more than like 2500.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Mazz posted:

They probably just didn't distribute 50 million because the population is so small and 50k a person means nobody is buying poo poo anymore. I hoped they wouldn't pull poo poo like that but it's not surprising. It's really unlikely the server pop was more than like 2500.

Or people like me were more common than you'd think. Played a bit but couldn't be arsed putting up with the poo poo heads for 20 matches.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Does the gold cost for additional ship slots increase as you buy more?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Just barely enough for the growth plan. Cool.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

Does the gold cost for additional ship slots increase as you buy more?

I've bought a fair number and haven't noticed any increase.

Duo
Aug 4, 2002
So I have enough gold for the growth plan now. I've been playing the German tier and have one tech IV ship and the others at tech III. If I buy the plan now should I still be able to claim the tech IV reward once I upgrade my other ships and be good to go from there?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Duo posted:

So I have enough gold for the growth plan now. I've been playing the German tier and have one tech IV ship and the others at tech III. If I buy the plan now should I still be able to claim the tech IV reward once I upgrade my other ships and be good to go from there?

You can claim the tech IV reward now since you've already reached tech IV.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Ratzap posted:

Or people like me were more common than you'd think. Played a bit but couldn't be arsed putting up with the poo poo heads for 20 matches.

Yeah but by that metric you shouldn't have been included in the distribution count. I mean there might've been 4500 unique, but it just doesn't seem reasonable with an average daily player count in like the 700s and a solid amount of repeat names every day.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Duo posted:

If you buy the plan now it'll let you claim the first reward right away. You can't buy the plan after researching a tier 5 ship, but apparently it shows a warning if you try.

edit: I guess getting 1/4 of the gold we expected is disappointing, but on the plus side that's less gold smoke for every tier 6 and above player to buy.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 11, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
For new players planning on using their 10k on the growth plan:

If you can, hold off until the event that rewards spending gold starts. You'll get a bunch of free stuff just for spending the free gold so it's an even better deal.

Also, you get merit now for hitting tier 5 in each ship class so definitely make the most is it. Getting a good sailor early on can make a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The gold reward events that starts on the 14th, so don't spend your gold yet! You get a bunch of crap but it's all free and you might as well just wait 3 days before buying a Tirpitz or gold HE shells or whatever.

• Locked thread