Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Regalingualius posted:

Absolutely this. They were given "improved" character sprites that somehow look less organic than the original pixel versions. And despite already having the scripts from earlier versions, the translation was really rushed. I'd link to an image that highlights the most egregious examples, but at least one of them spoils the culprit for one of the cases.

Link it in spoilers, I want to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Okay. Again, fair warning to the guy looking to get into the series, this contains major spoilers.

http://i.imgur.com/T62nbpS.jpg

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Regalingualius posted:

Absolutely this. They were given "improved" character sprites that somehow look less organic than the original pixel versions. And despite already having the scripts from earlier versions, the translation was really rushed. I'd link to an image that highlights the most egregious examples, but at least one of them spoils the culprit for one of the cases.

The 3DS version uses the same sprites, but I think they're touched up a bit and also the animations have all their frames.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Regalingualius posted:

Okay. Again, fair warning to the guy looking to get into the series, this contains major spoilers.

I'm the stake lunch. :drac:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

does that fuckin thing say Hotel Guidernap?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Regalingualius posted:

That's appalling.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

does that fuckin thing say Hotel Guidernap?

I mean rn looks kinda like an m if you squint?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Regalingualius, the killer you!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Suspicious Cook posted:

Are you sure you don't mean Detective Suede Shoes?

This exchange is probably the most I laughed at anything in the series. I'm not even sure why.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Momomo posted:

This exchange is probably the most I laughed at anything in the series. I'm not even sure why.

"This isn't the Phoenix Wright Wax Philosohpical Power Hour."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The 3DS version of the trilogy also fixes the translation issues and the scripting bugs, so the only real factor is how you prefer your graphics.

Original sprites.

Redrawn sprites

I don't mind them now that they have all their frames and actually blink, but it's a matter of opinion.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Look how pale they made Gant's orange suit. Unforgivable.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Waffleman_ posted:

The 3DS version of the trilogy also fixes the translation issues and the scripting bugs, so the only real factor is how you prefer your graphics.

Original sprites.

Redrawn sprites

I don't mind them now that they have all their frames and actually blink, but it's a matter of opinion.

Is that the actual speed of the animation? Edgeworth seems a lot less condescending when he's moving so quickly.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Turner Grey no longer flipping me off constantly is the one thing I can never forgive about the new art.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

The 3DS version uses the same sprites, but I think they're touched up a bit and also the animations have all their frames.

Some of the sprites in the 3DS version are slightly off (but still decent) but the background art is outstanding throughout the 3 games. All in all I'm totally happy with the way it looks.

Zat fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 7, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

Regalingualius posted:

I don't know what I love more, that "...was you!" face or the magical wallet that leaves a record when used.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I don't know what I love more, that "...was you!" face or the magical wallet that leaves a record when used.

That uh... second one was actually in the game. The only error is that they repeated "the KB Security" twice.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

That uh... second one was actually in the game. The only error is that they repeated "the KB Security" twice.

I thought it was a separate piece of evidence, the keycard, that has the description that it leaves a record on use?

To be fair it's been awhile since I've played The Stolen Turnabout myself so I dunno.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

voltcatfish posted:

I thought it was a separate piece of evidence, the keycard, that has the description that it leaves a record on use?

To be fair it's been awhile since I've played The Stolen Turnabout myself so I dunno.

Oh dammit that's right, the key card was in the wallet.

Somehow though a wallet that leaves a record when used seems right up Ace Attorney's alley.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Remember when Ace Attorney Investigations was originally going to be a game about Ema Skye?

How many people are pissed the Ema Skye game does not exist?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Ema Skye is cool but I'm glad we got Edgeworth instead.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The White Dragon posted:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The White Dragon posted:

:yeah:

Except for the part where we missed out on Snackoo Throwing Simulator. It could have replaced Logic Chess.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Honestly there aren't a lot of central AA characters I wouldn't like to see a sidegame of. Ema, Gumshoe, Franziska, even Maya.

But the one we all really want is Mia Fey, Ace Attorney.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

voltcatfish posted:

Remember when Ace Attorney Investigations was originally going to be a game about Ema Skye?

How many people are pissed the Ema Skye game does not exist?

Jaded Ema and Eternally Upbeat Gumshoe would have been a fun team. Like Lethal Weapon, but with snackoos.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Lurdiak posted:

Playing as Mia with dweeby, rookie Phoenix as her assistant would be the best game in the series.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Mia cases in AA3 are so good. 3-4 especially is one of my favorite cases in the series- it sets up 3-5 so well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Honestly there aren't a lot of central AA characters I wouldn't like to see a sidegame of. Ema, Gumshoe, Franziska, even Maya.

I wouldn't mind a Gregory Edgeworth: Ace Attorney.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As long as it's in the style of an old noir series through the lens of Ace Attorney silliness.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ometeotl posted:

As long as it's in the style of an old noir series through the lens of Ace Attorney silliness.

I can't wait to cross-examine Kyle Hyde in this hypothetical game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kyle Hyde under fire for boosting a screwdriver.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Mia Fey: Ace Attorney would end with Mia reading the paper and Phoenix has just passed the bar. Mia casually reads off the headline, "Local Man Arrested For Murder of Girlfriend" and shows Nick the picture of the culprit. And then the POV changes...

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well we kind of got that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Mia Fey: Ace Attorney would have Phoenix running around as her assistant because of course it would, and have him accused of murder at least twice.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Mia Fey: Ace Attorney would have Phoenix running around as her assistant because of course it would, and have him accused of murder at least twice.

"They said things would get better for me after I got a new girlfriend!"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The twist is he's guilty of them all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It has nothing to do with AA but since someone mentioned Kyle Hyde... some former Cing people are making a new adventure game for 3DS and one of the main characters is Not Kyle Hyde: http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/chase_tooikioku/

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How does he feel about paperclips?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It has nothing to do with AA but since someone mentioned Kyle Hyde... some former Cing people are making a new adventure game for 3DS and one of the main characters is Not Kyle Hyde: http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/chase_tooikioku/

I misread your post, and thought this was going to be a Being John Malkovich scenario. I'm mildly disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

:vince:

• Locked thread