Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

nopantsjack posted:

im 30 pages back but is this legit? is lesnick really director of ships?

Crobbler made his sycophant director of loving spaceships
"Director of Online Strategy, Community Engagement, and Spaceships" is his royal title. Don't shortchange him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Wafflz posted:

Is calling sandi a soul stealing succubus still allowed?

I wouldn't see that as a problem, since the dictionary agrees. So does the encyclopedia.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

G0RF posted:

"Director of Online Strategy, Community Engagement, and Spaceships" is his royal title. Don't shortchange him.

What I love about that though, is that "....and Spaceships" seems like a tacked-on afterthought

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

It's almost as he's being propped up as a caricature for the express purpose of being made fun of behind his back.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sperglord posted:

Even the unpopular opinion thread on Reddit contains people bemoaning the lack of inspiration in the Star Citizen IP. The whole Star Citizen game is forgettable.

EightAce said, several weeks ago, that the Vanduul were up for a redesign. Vanduul designs fell flat, like everything else.

Didn't catch the Vanduul redesign quote. How in the gently caress would that work with SQ42 that is due out before the end of this year?

Rhetorical question. What a loving mess.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

aleksendr posted:

The problem is that the last 10% of any project take 90% of the time, and during that last 90%, Crobizzle change his mind or they get a few more M$ and then its back to square one.
Well the good news is they haven't even finished the first 10% so it'll be a long time before we have to worry about that!

quote:

My guess is that everything will be scooped up by a Chinese company in a few years and turned into a freemium cash grab.
I just find that hard to imagine. Why buy this giant mountain of liabilities, engineering debts, impossible promises and toxic backer megawhales when you could spend a lot less to scoop up Infinity:Battlescape, Angels Fall First, or some other functional game system that delivers more than SC and then just spend money to turbocharge it and set up your preferred monetization model?

Seriously, if they did that-- and they offered a "Star Citizen refugees program", they'd be far better off-- and could start those customer relationships on reasonable terms.

"You know all those promises Chris Roberts made you? The bad news is, we're starting out with 20% of them. The good news is that 20% is polished, stable, and ready to build on. So join us!"

That's a sounder strategy and would cost less, too.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
im supposed to be practicing behavioral type questions for an interview on monday but this thread is just so lol.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Screams eeeEEE posted:

you do this in a game? without getting paid?

I haven't unlocked the good sprinklers yet. Also the PS blowing up killed the mobo, vid card, CPU and RAM. :argh: RIP 1K+ $$ :argh:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's almost as he's being propped up as a caricature for the express purpose of being made fun of behind his back.

That, or serves as a strange parody of the rewards of fealty to the crown.

"Do you see? Do you see how honoric his titles are? Do you see how we have rewarded him? This is because he burned a candle for Chris for decades, when all others fled or moved on! He said nothing in protest when traitors in our midst were cast out! He defends the indefensible and relays the incomprehensible from his lord to the peasantry!

If you would be like him, you will learn from his example, defer to him as you would defer to us. That is how you too may one day earn a title so long there will be an extra ink surcharge on your business card."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
did someone crack eightace's code yet

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Not even that, really. Star Citizen is not a recognizable IP due to how uninspired and generic it is. There's no fleshed-out universe, no unique story, it's just complete unimaginative crap - a Chris Roberts special through-and-through. Maybe a card game so they can trade their JPEGS amongst themselves? The cultists might recognize pictures of their "ships".

The really valuable IP to come out of this shitshow is the Fourth Stimpire. That's where the real money is.

Yeah I'm not even sure why I suggested someone would want to buy the IP.

Hell even the cellphone games steal. Galaxy Online 3 is one of those pay to win cellphone strategy games and they pretty much stole all their ships from EVE online. So maybe cultists will see little 2d constellations in some hacked together cash grab and be able to pretend they got what they wanted all along.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

G0RF posted:

I just find that hard to imagine. Why buy this giant mountain of liabilities, engineering debts, impossible promises and toxic backer megawhales when you could spend a lot less to scoop up Infinity:Battlescape, Angels Fall First, or some other functional game system that delivers more than SC and then just spend money to turbocharge it and set up your preferred monetization model?

Seriously, if they did that-- and they offered a "Star Citizen refugees program", they'd be far better off-- and could start those customer relationships on reasonable terms.

"You know all those promises Chris Roberts made you? The bad news is, we're starting out with 20% of them. The good news is that 20% is polished, stable, and ready to build on. So join us!"

That's a sounder strategy and would cost less, too.

That's actually a pretty smart space-sim strategy. A publisher could buy I-Novae engine or AFF engine and start development with an engine designed for the task. Toss in some discount for Star Citizen backers and you have instant early buy-in.

There were rumors of another space-sim in secret development, were you the one who said that?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Didn't catch the Vanduul redesign quote. How in the gently caress would that work with SQ42 that is due out before the end of this year?

Rhetorical question. What a loving mess.

I was incredulous too. Apparently, the Vanduul weren't scary enough for Chris Roberts. So, back to redesign. Like everything else in the game.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Goobs posted:

im supposed to be practicing behavioral type questions for an interview on monday but this thread is just so lol.

You can't really trick the Voight-Kampff anyway, so your time is probably better spent here.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Sperglord posted:

There were rumors of another space-sim in secret development, were you the one who said that?
Yes. Yes I did. It's the complication to be named later. As if they need any more at this point!

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

G0RF posted:

Yes. Yes I did. It's the complication to be named later. As if they need any more at this point!

Hmm, can you give any hints?

For complications, I see:
- Elite owns VR and scale
- NMS will own exploration
- Mass Effect: Andromeda will own storytelling
- 'Somebody' will get a better combat model, because CIG DGAF about spaceship combat

Now, you say there is another complication? Another piece of competition? Fun times.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Wise Learned Man posted:

You can't really trick the Voight-Kampff anyway, so your time is probably better spent here.

Lol.....good movie. This is the third and last interview for this job (career) so im over worrying about it, if I get it i'll be set for life.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Sperglord posted:

That's actually a pretty smart space-sim strategy. A publisher could buy I-Novae engine or AFF engine and start development with an engine designed for the task. Toss in some discount for Star Citizen backers and you have instant early buy-in.

I was incredulous too. Apparently, the Vanduul weren't scary enough for Chris Roberts. So, back to redesign. Like everything else in the game.

What's so hard about making the Vanduul interesting? They are aliens, make them incomprehensible and brutal. If you damage one of their ships they'll just jump out onto yours in space and tear away at it. Their ships make no logical sense to a human and are like the equivalent of walking around in Dead Space. Make their ships unbelievably powerful at the beginning and make them like the Aliens from "Alien" just with genius level intellect, a real threat that you actually probably can't defeat but have to try to anyway. Play up the fact that the main theme behind Star Citizen is kind of stupid and naive, these big idiots flying around over-sized dog-fighters and having embarrassingly dull dialogue and conflicts before some psychotic alien rips the face off of Johhny "WhiteBread" The Hero.

But no. This is World War 2 in space so they are going to just be the Nazis. Big human like retards with regular ships that are just a bit spiky. There's probably concept art of one of them in a trenchcoat saying dumbass evil villan cliches in existence somewhere.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 10, 2016

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Sperglord posted:

Hmm, can you give any hints?

For complications, I see:
- Elite owns VR and scale
- NMS will own exploration
- Mass Effect: Andromeda will own storytelling
- 'Somebody' will get a better combat model, because CIG DGAF about spaceship combat

Now, you say there is another complication? Another piece of competition? Fun times.

someone else has perfected a farming sim

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Jason Sextro posted:

stardew valley?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Goobs posted:

stardew valley?

....but in space!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sperglord posted:

I must have been asleep at the wheel. I thought that male alien race was pretty much set in stone.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Jason Sextro posted:

I want to know why farming sims became a thing in Star Citizen, but am afraid the logic only makes sense when I'm on drugs. Plz help.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Colostomy Bag posted:

I must have been asleep at the wheel. I thought that male alien race was pretty much set in stone.

Anything can be unapproved by Chris Roberts at any time for any reason.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Sperglord posted:

I want to know why farming sims became a thing in Star Citizen, but am afraid the logic only makes sense when I'm on drugs. Plz help.

They ran out of other concepts to sell.

Mining? SELL A MINING SHIP
Refueling? SELL A REFUELING SHIP
Travelling? SELL A CRUISE LINER WITH A DRINK DISPENSER!
Smuggling? SELL A SMUGGLING SHIP!
Pirates? SELL A PIRATE SHIP!
Hauling? SELL DIFFERENT HAULERS!
Every permutation of combat? SELL LIGHT/MEDIUM/HEAVY VARIANTS OF EVERYTHING!!!
News? SELL A NEWS VAN!!
Recovery? SELL AN AMBULANCE!

Eventually they needed to be able to cheaply make new sales so they made the one hull that is "modular" so you just buy science gear, or exploration gear, or farming gear and they only have to design one ship but people end up paying for three.

Can't wait for the new model year ships too, so you have to buy a new hull and newer farming modules just to be able to grow newer crops better. (Luckily the game will fall apart by this point)

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Sperglord posted:

I think 8ace alluded, a while ago, to people at CIG being pulled away from normal work to make a farming sim for SC because Chris Roberts had played one and was obsessed with it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Mirificus posted:

Anything can be unapproved by Chris Roberts at any time for any reason.
I wonder if the revised Vanduul will still steer their ships with those spikey sticks in the Serkis video...

"What is it with those Vanduul ships, huh? It's hundred of years in the future, guys-- you're still driving with a stick shift?"

Tip your waitresses, etc. etc. etc.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Fat Shat Sings posted:

What's so hard about making the Vanduul interesting? They are aliens, make them incomprehensible and brutal. If you damage one of their ships they'll just jump out onto yours in space and tear away at it. Their ships make no logical sense to a human and are like the equivalent of walking around in Dead Space. Make their ships unbelievably powerful at the beginning and make them like the Aliens from "Alien" just with genius level intellect, a real threat that you actually probably can't defeat but have to try to anyway. Play up the fact that the main theme behind Star Citizen is kind of stupid and naive, these big idiots flying around over-sized dog-fighters and having embarrassingly dull dialogue and conflicts before some psychotic alien rips the face off of Johhny "WhiteBread" The Hero.

That is kind of generic, big bad Aliens which threaten anybody who messes with them.

If we wanted to keep the setting of the Fall of the Roman Empire, I put the humans into a universe without any alien races. Have the game set several hundred years after initial stellar colonialization, the first wave traveled in cryo-stasis on sublight ships to the far stars. Later waves traveled on early model FTL ships. A FTL empire arose, centered around old Earth, based upon the monopoly of FTL ship construction. After a century of rapid technological and material progress, the human Empire has all but forgotten the old sublight colonies. The Empire has risen to unparalleled economic and technological power, yet is stagnating due to the lack of a threat. At it's peak, it dominated the whole space, but that domination has slid as the center turns towards dissipation and pleasure, while the fringes continue blindly in the old ways.

In this post-scarcity world, there appear rumors of attacks on the fringes of the Empire, planets whose inhabitents had never seen a shot fired anywhere now come under a sudden attack. Attackers steal technology and, more puzzling, raw materials, then disappear. You, the player, are sent to investigate.

It turns out that the sublight colonies are fleeing back towards earth from some threat, never specified. They are a barbarian horde, in the eyes of the impossibly advanced Empire, yet they have the military skill and willpower to fight for their own position. The actual threat is left for season two.

I like the idea of a post-scarcity society facing a threat from a resource-bound society, as the former will have impossible technology but not the understanding of conflict.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Jason Sextro posted:

I think 8ace alluded, a while ago, to people at CIG being pulled away from normal work to make a farming sim for SC because Chris Roberts had played one and was obsessed with it.

Ahahahaha, go CIG, never change.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Jason Sextro posted:

I really hope that it comes out that Chris Roberts spent like $20,000 of backer money on farmville cash or something

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i still think 'the united empire of earth' is a bad name for the good guy faction

lol @ the star citizen wiki

"The United Empire of Earth (UEE) is a democratic empire with an elective and term limited Imperator."

oh okay

fnox
May 19, 2013

Sperglord posted:

The thing about Star Citizen, is that, with a $110 million budget, nowadays you COULD make a massively multiplayer space sim, the engine ultimately doesn't matter that much, because if you have a competent team and a focused product you can pull off a lot in 4 years. And by space sim, I mean, the core experience that Star Citizen promises, multi-manned ships with persistence in the universe, planets you can land on with hubs and hangars and poo poo, space stations, all that jazz. I would personally cut the concept of having single manned ships just so you don't have things moving too fast or colliding with each other which will quickly turn awful to network, maybe replace it with, I don't know, Gundams or something, if you want 1v1 combat. This is a game that could exist, and it'd likely be sweet, and it'd be in it's own space separate from Elite and EVE.

Star Citizen is of course, not just that, but 12 more things plus singleplayer, which is the whole loving problem, but it really makes you wonder what somebody more competent would have pulled off with that kind of cash.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I really hope that it comes out that Chris Roberts spent like $20,000 of backer money on farmville cash or something

that was for research and development of the farming module.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Derek, here's the thing people like you. For the most part.

You can be funny, intelligent, insightful, the list goes on. But there's a problem. You have said a lot of things that have either gone nowhere or failed to materialize in any shape or form as you've described.

This isn't an attack on you, this is a fact. With clear distinguishable evidence.

The fact is that you and CIG share a lot of similarities. Inability to set proper time tables. Over use of the word "soon". Reliance on 2 weeks as a proper timetable. Inability to materialize core " promises" and goals. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

Now none of this would be that bad (I mean its not like you raised over a hundred million off of these statements or anything crazy like that) if it weren't for the case that you keep holding up your info like some paragon of truth and justice. Like your allowance of information is going to shatter the earth as we know it. Almost as if of were and extinction level event one could say. Due to this need to constantly hold things up with such high regard you are creating unrealistic expectations. People, for goof and bad, are invested in this. And whether its jpegs or information it appears that you've misled people. At least that's how some view it.

People want to see something happen. They don't want to keep being teased. If they wanted that they would be backing star citizen, not here waiting "two weeks" or "soon" for the crash. They are tired, and you can't blame them for being upset.

Now none of this is meant to detract from the very real fact that this thread and yourself have brought about change. You have. You've caused CIG to be reactive. Good. More power to you and everyone else for that. But that doesn't invalidate the other issues. CIG can put out ship after ship, and be praised for such, but it doesn't detract from the litany of misinformation they have produced as well.

Speaking for myself, and I'm sure a few others, I can just say were tired. We want real concrete information. The games, from all sides, have gotten old. I'm sure you can understand. Its a fun ride, and well stay on it, but "soon" is no longer soon enough.

If you, or anyone (as this isn't just about you) know something, and lawyers/lawsuits/whatever other bullshit excuse that's used are not an issue then come out with it. Like I said, doesn't have to be here even - we'll find it. But do us and yourself a favor and just do it. Everyone will be better off in the long run.

Posting from the past.

Please shut the gently caress up and go somewhere else .

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

hanales posted:

Posting from the past.

Please shut the gently caress up and go somewhere else .

past is prologue, look at his history~

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

i still think 'the united empire of earth' is a bad name for the good guy faction

lol @ the star citizen wiki

"The United Empire of Earth (UEE) is a democratic empire with an elective and term limited stimperor."

oh okay

Fixed

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

hakimashou posted:

past is prologue, look at his history~

We should all be so privileged as to put our websites in our username.

Pgabz_of_youtube_dot_com_forward_slash_major_tom

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

hey can't we all just be friends?

here's a pic of some grots I just finished painting, I pretend they're star shitizens and make them go into CC for the glory of the stimperor.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't like salt. It's coarse ... and rough ... and irritating ... and it gets everywhere.

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro

Goobs posted:

hey can't we all just be friends?

here's a pic of some grots I just finished painting, I pretend they're star shitizens and make them go into CC for the glory of the stimperor.

How long does that poo poo usually take to complete? They're just gray plastic pieces when you buy them, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

fnox posted:

The thing about Star Citizen, is that, with a $110 million budget, nowadays you COULD make a massively multiplayer space sim, the engine ultimately doesn't matter that much, because if you have a competent team and a focused product you can pull off a lot in 4 years. And by space sim, I mean, the core experience that Star Citizen promises, multi-manned ships with persistence in the universe, planets you can land on with hubs and hangars and poo poo, space stations, all that jazz. I would personally cut the concept of having single manned ships just so you don't have things moving too fast or colliding with each other which will quickly turn awful to network, maybe replace it with, I don't know, Gundams or something, if you want 1v1 combat. This is a game that could exist, and it'd likely be sweet, and it'd be in it's own space separate from Elite and EVE.

Star Citizen is of course, not just that, but 12 more things plus singleplayer, which is the whole loving problem, but it really makes you wonder what somebody more competent would have pulled off with that kind of cash.

With $110 million, CIG could have gone a long way towards making a major space game. That they have gone so little is the clearest sign that the management is unbelievably awful.

• Locked thread