Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

I guess my question is is did he have an Armada pack before or after the fact. He's still an idiot for having that much in it in the first place but I just wanna know if he is truly a double-idiot.

He got refunded completely & this is his request letter for round two.

E: Catte

(I really need to get my infrared stuff from Africa up on this machine so I can provide them to y'all.

runsamok fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sperglord posted:

CIG is going to be a historic failure. 4th largest gaming budget of all time. Nothing to show for it which couldn't be replicated by a good team in a month or two.
Well, in their defense, if you net out the cost to furnish CIG LA their dev budget is still under $100M.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Sperglord posted:

CIG is going to be a historic failure. 4th largest gaming budget of all time. Nothing to show for it which couldn't be replicated by a good team in a month or two.

hell in the same amount of time Toops definitely would outpace them on no budget!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Im_drunk posted:

I applaud this individual for a finely executed gag, whichever one of you it is. Bravo. :golfclap:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/326113/getting-ready-for-star-citizen

They are assuming it is alternate Derek Smart accounts in the replies.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

G0RF posted:

There is no doubt -- some of the events of the past week or two constitute warning signals. The Erin visit. The EightAce post deletions. The NDA policy for PTU stuff.

I hope I'm not premature in moving the hands forward on the Doomsday Clock...

On the other hand Sandi appeared on RtV and Chris said CIG was about to turn a corner, forever leaving competitors in the rear view... Except maaaaaaybe Rockstar. So we just might be on the verge of epic greatness!
What did I miss?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Colostomy Bag posted:

They are assuming it is alternate Derek Smart accounts in the replies.

e: Was it a gag, or an OTT marketing attempt by the bestest saleswoman in the world and has been ever since she was a little girl?

I've not been able to keep up with the thread. If troll, bravo.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 10, 2016

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

G0RF posted:

Well, in their defense, if you net out the cost to furnish CIG LA their dev budget is still under $100M.

True true, CIG spends $11 million on a studio, fails to make a game. Not a historic failure:

Our commando reporter visited the musty reddit swamps to see how the Citizens responded. "If you understood game development, you'd know that the first $50 million doesn't count for a budget." :smug: one backer said, before breaking down into tears and promising to liquidate his children's college fund to support CIG.

Jason Sextro posted:

hell in the same amount of time Toops definitely would outpace them on no budget!

I find it shocking how little CIG has created.

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro
Truth: The funding page is a made up number generated by popular opinion and then inflated for the press.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mendrian posted:

I still say the best revenge against all shitizens would be if SC came out, exactly as promised, with all planned features. Because it would never live up to their dreams and they would feel grief.

It's kind of like all the people who talked about their highly in-character hopes and dreams for games like The Old Republic or gently caress even Everquest. Giant videogames never accurately translate into a virtual second life and it's hilarious when they don't. Games get mined for the most important gameable bits. They get dissected and are played like games, not enormous RP chatrooms. I mean, sure you can find little pockets of people in LotRO or WoW who insist on only typing IC but for the most part it's just an environment to grind poo poo in. SC - even feature complete - would be little different.

The sport for me is figuring out what's going on in the studio and where they're floundering. Big games never live up to the expectations of the super fans and this one had a shifting budget for over a year. I can't even imagine how you plan a schedule around that, let alone correct it once you're down the road a few years.

I'd say the worst thing that early access games have done for the industry is vindicating how big publishers do business. Nobody is every 100% happy when you're working on a creative product and being transparent both wastes time and shows people the clusterfuck that's game development.

If they really gently caress this up the most telling thing will be if nobody tries to buy them out towards the end. Or if they get a serious low ball offer (basically money for the execs to helicopter out)

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Kakarot posted:

Did you guys really run out Sarsapariller?

Noone ran them out, they asked for help with a refund for $2500. When someone asked "Wait, didn't you already get a refund?" they copped to buying back in and then fled.

:shrug:

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Come back Sarsapariller, some goons have spent way more than you

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Sarsapariller cringed themselves into an implosion when they realised what they'd done/revealed in the thread.

BULBASAUR posted:

The sport for me is figuring out what's going on in the studio and where they're floundering. Big games never live up to the expectations of the super fans and this one had a shifting budget for over a year. I can't even imagine how you plan a schedule around that, let alone correct it once you're down the road a few years.

I'd say the worst thing that early access games have done for the industry is vindicating how big publishers do business. Nobody is every 100% happy when you're working on a creative product and being transparent both wastes time and shows people the clusterfuck that's game development.

If they really gently caress this up the most telling thing will be if nobody tries to buy them out towards the end. Or if they get a serious low ball offer (basically money for the execs to helicopter out)

Yeah, this story has a lot of twists and turns left in it that no one here can 100% predict.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Kakarot posted:

Come back Sarsapariller, some goons have spent way more than you

billzebub or however it's spelled was in for like 30 grand or something, i remember playing archeage with him

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Booourns posted:

Are you so desperate to call Ben fat that you're willing to completely ignore that they were talking about a pic of the ED guys' office?

I got an experiment for the thread, I wanna see if you guys can go even one single day without making a Ben is fat/Sandi is ugly comment. Just one day !

Is calling sandi a soul stealing succubus still allowed?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Monthly Studio Report with absolutely no mention of Star Marine

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6550955/#Comment_6550955

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6551247/#Comment_6551247

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Cobblers is a hero.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Infrared Rhino

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

G0RF posted:

Hey I'm on a mobile. Somebody make an animated gif of this crap.

http://youtu.be/_aN-3bD0fX8

Chris promised us Ender's Game. But looks like we were getting Blitzball, only less fun.

Even better, someone make a gif of Lucy pulling back the Sata ball before Charlie's foot connects with it :v:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

TTerrible posted:

Cobblers is a hero.

He's like the B'Tak of procedurally generated birds

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

runsamok posted:

Infrared Rhino

Neat!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

runsamok posted:

Infrared Rhino

That's a very good rhino!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Kitty:

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

That's a very good rhino!

Remember the elephant who visited me at my room?

I got much better shots with my infrared camera.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

runsamok posted:

Remember the elephant who visited me at my room?

I got much better shots with my infrared camera.

1. Those are loving gorgeous.

2. That elephant is too loving close.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

1. Those are loving gorgeous.

2. That elephant is too loving close.

Well, it's kinda his neighbourhood, so I think the feeling was mutual between us.

The infrared camera worked out superduperwell in Africa. It's my first Nikon DSLR (a D200) modified for IR-only. I used my 18-200 superzoom on it for the trip. The colour pics are shot on my D700 with either a 14-24,24-70 or 70-200 lens.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Sperglord posted:

I find it shocking how little CIG has created.

CIG has created tons, probably in the petabyte range, of material. Trailers, brochures, concept art, preview art, ect. The problem is that the last 10% of any project take 90% of the time, and during that last 90%, Crobizzle change his mind or they get a few more M$ and then its back to square one.

My guess is that everything will be scooped up by a Chinese company in a few years and turned into a freemium cash grab.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

kordansk posted:

LOL
"Please do not engage in speculative accounting....Due to my expertise in accounting with zero knowledge of their finances I have determined how much they spent."

Hope you don't mind but I quoted (without naming you) your statement into a reply to that "business dickhead" aka Rob Rocket. :downs:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/306199/cig-stretch-goals-of-the-past-post-goal-developments/p3

I figured he needed putting back under his rock :newlol:

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Sabreseven posted:

Hope you don't mind but I quoted (without naming you) your statement into a reply to that "business dickhead" aka Rob Rocket. :downs:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/306199/cig-stretch-goals-of-the-past-post-goal-developments/p3

I figured he needed putting back under his rock :newlol:

LOL that's okay. I don't mind.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

aleksendr posted:

CIG has created tons, probably in the petabyte range, of material. Trailers, brochures, concept art, preview art, ect. The problem is that the last 10% of any project take 90% of the time, and during that last 90%, Crobizzle change his mind or they get a few more M$ and then its back to square one.

My guess is that everything will be scooped up by a Chinese company in a few years and turned into a freemium cash grab.

I don't know why anyone would spend money on CIG assets, they have invested a lot of time and money into basically nothing. They have nothing working or playable and any actual game that would have to function would have to be built from scratch with a different engine.

Like if you went to an auction for a concept car that failed to be finished. And you find out the owner spent 50 times the cost of the actual car shooting commercials for it, paying artists to endlessly go over what it would look like and designing a road that was perfect for the car. You can get the guys work for 1/50th the price he spent on it but you still get a pile of assorted car parts and a bunch of drawings.

MAYBE you'll see one of those cellphone games where you either grind for a million years or pay $2000 to advance with the ships/theme of star citizen that someone buys for a million dollars or something but that would be it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

tooterfish posted:

Because the project is so open they have to hide everything behind closed doors.

Makes perfect sense.

Works for me. JPEG's are an investment, not for games. CIG is a fine, upstanding, ethical company. Crobber is a brilliant programmer and producer. We have always been at war with Eastasia. War is peace.

:shrug:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/326113/getting-ready-for-star-citizen

I have no words, other than calling the guy an idiot :doh:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

boviscopophobic posted:

Somebody's really fat. I'm not going to name names.

It is funnay. Fat ol' lump and skinny ol' twig. Only things they have in common is bein' ol' and CIG!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Fat Shat Sings posted:

MAYBE you'll see one of those cellphone games where you either grind for a million years or pay $2000 to advance with the ships/theme of star citizen that someone buys for a million dollars or something but that would be it.

Not even that, really. Star Citizen is not a recognizable IP due to how uninspired and generic it is. There's no fleshed-out universe, no unique story, it's just complete unimaginative crap - a Chris Roberts special through-and-through. Maybe a card game so they can trade their JPEGS amongst themselves? The cultists might recognize pictures of their "ships".

The really valuable IP to come out of this shitshow is the Fourth Stimpire. That's where the real money is.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

runsamok posted:

He's the Director of Ships, but works in a different place than the guy who's collecting the info about the ships on the forums or the guy who is responsible for balancing the ships.

im 30 pages back but is this legit? is lesnick really director of ships?

Crobbler made his sycophant director of loving spaceships

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

aleksendr posted:

That material is art assets, they have spent a ton of money on generic art assets. At the final accounting, what matters is gameplay. CIG has created less gameplay than Toops, less gameplay than a dozen of half-funded kickstarters.

There has been a shocking little that is committed to final playable code.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

nopantsjack posted:

I have a theory that Chris and Sandi are indifferent if Ben survives the making of Star Citizen. Ben is high enough that he would know too much about the game, the marketing, the processes behind what is shown to the backers.

Better that CIG get some favorable press with the passing of beloved community manager Ben than leave him around.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

nopantsjack posted:

The logistical error in assigning Ben as Director of Spaceships is that no matter how many seats there are in the cockpit, once he sits down, there's effectively only one. Hence the recent oversights.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Not even that, really. Star Citizen is not a recognizable IP due to how uninspired and generic it is. There's no fleshed-out universe, no unique story, it's just complete unimaginative crap - a Chris Roberts special through-and-through.

Even the unpopular opinion thread on Reddit contains people bemoaning the lack of inspiration in the Star Citizen IP. The whole Star Citizen game is forgettable.

EightAce said, several weeks ago, that the Vanduul were up for a redesign. Vanduul designs fell flat, like everything else.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Kakarot posted:

Yes, our bot army that tooterfish set up to continuously download the game might have finally made them change how they handle updates etc. They have spent A LOT on bandwidth

Awwwwwwww, gently caress. Don't connectionshame. I would be lucky to get the main copy downloaded before my computer died of advanced age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

My name is FloppyRagdoll.

• Locked thread