Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

How square do you have to be to brush off Mikitaka as padding

Honestly.

Bad Seafood posted:

I must destroy this man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

There's a rush of people editing "their" ending theme over the ED and boy I'm annoyed by it.

There was really only the calls for Holy Diver for SDC was there?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I like to think that part of the reason Jolyne gets so fuckin' beaten and bloody in so many of her encounters isn't just because the fights are brutal and she takes a lot of damage (she definitely does) but also because Stone Free is a sort of gross and terrifying stand, since using it literally tears her skin from her flesh in order for it to function. Gotta imagine that would lead to a lot of blood when she's using it so much in a fight.

I also enjoyed the conversation earlier about whether Gyro or Johnny was the main character, because it reminded me of something I really like about part 4, which is that Josuke isn't actually the main character, or at least he "shouldn't" be the main character in a metanarrative sense. For all intents and purposes, the main story of part 4 (by which I mean the hunt for Kira) is actually Rohan's story. He's the one with a personal connection to the events, he's the one who tries to figure things out with the most passion and drive, he's the one who is focused on with Bites The Dust, by all rights, he should be the person that the story is about, but he's not. Instead it's Josuke, this dude who had no real connection to any of the poo poo that was going down and sort of just stumbled into it all by virtue of being friends with someone who is friends with Rohan, and that subversion of your normal expectations of the relationship of a "main" character to the plot is one of the things that makes DiU work really well, and also that helps to differentiate it from the parts that came before (and also part 6), where everything revolved around the Joestars, one way or another, from Dio's murderboner to Straits targeting Joseph (and the best Hamon teacher in the world being a Joestar kinda), to DIO having Jonathan's body. Once the main plot of Part 4 starts up, the fact that Josuke is a Joestar is basically irrelevant, because for once the story isn't about the Joestars, it's about this little town that Josuke happens to live in, and it's about getting revenge for the teenage girl who saved Rohan's life, and that's what sparks everything going down.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
the fact the narrative character is Koichi in a lot of chapters makes it more interesting too; he undergoes the most growth- his Stand evolving- and he has a lot of narration to the Audience.

I think it says a lot about Koichi's place in the story that the only other person with a Stand that has multiple Acts is Tusk.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Thought of another way, the "main character" of Part 4 is Morioh itself, and Rohan just happens to be a central figure in that town, but Rohan being THE main character does make sense.

I've always been under the assumption that Koichi was the main character, but the city itself being one and having an ensemble cast play major roles within it makes the most sense to me. It feels like that's why Kira was ultimately defeated by the town itself, first by getting run over by a city ambulance, and then by getting These Hands™.

I'm still not over Mikitaka being brushed off as padding, God, he's the lead up to Rohan's house being set on fire, like. Come on dude.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
He turns into a puking pair of dice. "This is padding" - some loving guy, apparently.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I don't know what's worse, that that guy believes Part 4 to be full of filler, or that he considers Josuke's zany scheme to swindle Rohan with the aid of a shapeshifter, only to instead burn his house down, to be of nominal importance.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

There is just....

There's so much going on in one panel. It's beautiful.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I'm going to say what we're all thinking - Let's eat Italian food would have been 10 times better if Okuyasu died from the food and Josuke obliterated Tonio with a hamon blast

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jojo is a series about stopping to smell the roses, only the roses were actually an illusion by your most hated enemy to get you in the exact position he needed to take control of one side of your nervous system; he picks the right so you must find some way to escape his dastardly machinations using only your left; then when you win you beat the crap out of him and he becomes your new best friend and/or dies horribly.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 10, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the scenes of kira living his new life was just loving filler, what the hell. like there's not even a fight it's just talking for ten pages

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

He turns into a puking pair of dice. "This is padding" - some loving guy, apparently.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Anyone who uses the word "filler" when talking about JoJo deserves the worst.

Also by the end of Part 6 I'm pretty sure you can fill a decent sized pool with the amount of blood Jolyne loses. It's like Araki was making up for all the sidelined female characters and made Jolyne the craftiest, hardest motherfucker that has ever lived.

I love her

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

no they will not posted:

I'm going to say what we're all thinking - Let's eat Italian food would have been 10 times better if Okuyasu died from the food and Josuke obliterated Tonio with a hamon blast

Ahahahhaha god dammit

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Moltrey posted:

the scenes of kira living his new life was just loving filler, what the hell. like there's not even a fight it's just talking for ten pages

Give me an entire sitcom of nothing but Life With the Kawajiris.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jojo is great. Just skip more than three quarters of it. It's a great show, though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

BaDandy posted:

Give me an entire sitcom of nothing but Life With the Kawajiris.
Same. Kira's scenes with the Kawajiris is my favorite poo poo in Part 4 goddamn

All of those small build ups to Kira killing Hayato on accident and hiding his body in the closet with the mom loving right there and Kira's having a panic attack then he gets Bites The Dust and then the greatest finale in JoJo happens loving goddamn this anime is gonna be so good

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So, part 5.

Should I wait for the new scans to finish, or should I continue with the old scans where the new ones stop?

For that matter, are the translations for parts 6 and 7 decent?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Sandman posted:

So, part 5.

Should I wait for the new scans to finish, or should I continue with the old scans where the new ones stop?

Part 5 is the only one left with bad translations.

Personally, I'd wait for the new scans to finish, but part 5 has some really good fights so it's up to you. It's not important at all for the plot of part 6 so you can safely skip it and come back later if you want to.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

The Sandman posted:

So, part 5.

JJCA is updating Pt 5 with more regularity again, so I think you're probably safe to just wait for updates. The further you get into Pt 5, the more the muddled translation makes it really tough to keep up with- things happen at a really rapid pace and you have to re-read parts over and over with the current translation and there are things that happen that I think are just flat out wrong in terms of translation so no harm in waiting. Like, there's an ability that I still don't fully understand in 5 because of the translation (and it's not King Crimson! I get King Crimson!)

As Begemot said, 6 and 7 are decent, I think. You're safe to just jump to 6 if you want!

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 10, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I only skipped 5 because 5's translation was unreadable until recently. You can probably skip to 6 and you won't miss a lot in terms of plot/character development.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

The Sandman posted:

So, part 5.

I've heard the part 6 one is a little wonky at the start but it's not awful or anything. The confusing parts in 6 are that way for completely different reasons. Also read it in colour or you'll have a real hard time.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

read it in color anyways because it's fully colored and it looks great

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Don't skip parts

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Don't be that guy everyone knows 5 is an exception.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Don't skip parts

5's old translation is TERRIBLE, reading it as it was would make you dislike the Jojos and you should never dislike the Jojos.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Skipping Part 5 is acceptable only on the implicit grounds that you are going to go back and read it once the good translations are finished.

There is no reason to skip the part otherwise, nor any reason to skip any other part.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Never skip parts.
It didn't make me dislike JoJo so saying it will or won't is a huge generalisation, especially if you have the implicit understanding that it's a trash translation going in.

I'd be surprised if most people who skip part 5 actually do go back.

Read Part 5 or get King Crimson'd IMO

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

They're going to go back because if they don't I'm gonna have Baal hunt them down.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I'm def going back because Giorno has the best cleavage in the series.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i enjoyed my initial readthrough of vento aureo, poo poo translation and all, if only because it was more jojo's. it makes me appreciate the new translation more due to it being so much better.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I wish there were fan art of the D'Arby brothers playing video games together.

Or at least Terence playing a game while Daniel looks on and just doesn't get it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Never skip parts.
It didn't make me dislike JoJo so saying it will or won't is a huge generalisation, especially if you have the implicit understanding that it's a trash translation going in.

I'd be surprised if most people who skip part 5 actually do go back.

Read Part 5 or get King Crimson'd IMO

I'm going back, I've read part 5 up til where Daxing Dan has translated it. It's not worth it reading the poo poo translation it had.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

I wish there were fan art of the D'Arby brothers playing video games together.

AGREED

http://thedarbybrothers.tumblr.com/

Somebody send in a request to that ask blog that I has kinda been abandoned because I think that artist might just be doing a Vanilla Ice ask blog now instead (the art's certainly similar).

e: now that I look at it no, I don't think the same person draws Vanilla Advice after all, I just got confused cuz of a reblog :( WHERE ARE THEY

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

:vince:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

Skipping Part 5 is acceptable only on the implicit grounds that you are going to go back and read it once the good translations are finished.

There is no reason to skip the part otherwise, nor any reason to skip any other part.

If people are iffy about VA, I recommend reading the other parts, then coming back to it if they still want more JoJo. They always come back.

Aurora posted:

There's a rush of people editing "their" ending theme over the ED and boy I'm annoyed by it.

There was really only the calls for Holy Diver for SDC was there?

I was one of the people that really wanted every ED to be Roundabout. But I got over that, and now really like the new songs.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Cabinet posted:

I'm unsure if "baby and alien" going untagged in the Anime thread is a spoiler or just too unbelievable for people to actually think is a spoiler.

I'm just amused by the possibility that someone will see the response saying "the baby part develops Josuke's relationship with someone" and assume that Josuke's going to father a child during part 4

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Dexie posted:

So, I resumed my reading of part 6 today. I just finished the Jolyne vs. Guard Westwood fight.

I can sum up my feelings about this as follows: :dance: --> :gonk: --> :barf: --> :stare:

Hell of a drat fight. Geez.

I'm bit late but that's like... my favorite fight of the series. The setting, the stand abilities, the physical toughness is great.
Araki really learned how to implement each stand user fighting perfectly

Jolyne keeps topping herself in p6 too, it's brilliant

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Remember the time Jolyne killed the lawyer that got her sentenced while she was still inside the prison

Jolyne Kujo is hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's an elf, it doesn't count