Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Waffleman_ posted:

Now we're going full Nonary Game.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If I ran a college course, I'd do the same thing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/718202886996398080

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

MBMBaM taught me my new favorite word: Unimaginable. It's such a strong word that it takes on en enigmatic quality. How fast does one have to acquire Krav Maga skill before their instructor declares their rate of improvement to be beyond the realm of imagination?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ariong posted:

MBMBaM taught me my new favorite word: Unimaginable. It's such a strong word that it takes on en enigmatic quality. How fast does one have to acquire Krav Maga skill before their instructor declares their rate of improvement to be beyond the realm of imagination?

I like that even Yahoo Answers is telling this dude to get over himself.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/DocCurm/status/718534773451395073

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm listening to Travis's episode and I honestly don't enjoy it

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

omg chael crash posted:

I'm listening to Travis's episode and I honestly don't enjoy it

Same it was a little to frenetic to follow, I still want a few more though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I liked adventure zones nights but I was having a lot of trouble remembering who was playing which character a lot of the time

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
TAZ Classic was kinda rough at first, too. I think Travis has a good imagination, and things will get better as he grows as a DM. I'm looking forward to it.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I don't like when Griffin is trying to do funny dialogue stuff from the enemies and Justin is just all "I don't care I wanna fight", like the fighting isnt the boring part causes there is never stakes

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So if I want to get into TAZ, do I have to start from episode 1? Or do they reset the campaign from time to time?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Spaced God posted:

So if I want to get into TAZ, do I have to start from episode 1? Or do they reset the campaign from time to time?

It's all one campaign. You want to start from episode 1, because the first episodes are by far the weakest (well, until an episode or two in Crystal Kingdom where Griffin basically stops the campaign and goofs for storytime in a really inartful way, but whatever it's clearly necessary for THE CANON). To be clear, they're still loving great, but you definitely want to start with Here There Be Gerblins since it's him doing a premade adventure and he hasn't come up with his own internal canon yet so the jump in quality once Griffin pulls away from Typical Fantasy poo poo is stronger.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Spaced God posted:

Yeah, it's pretty linear. Episode one is not very representative of the whole show cause it was them learning the basics

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

ImPureAwesome posted:

I don't like when Griffin is trying to do funny dialogue stuff from the enemies and Justin is just all "I don't care I wanna fight", like the fighting isnt the boring part causes there is never stakes

Combat is the dullest part of D&D, pretty much always. Griffin goofing around with the dialogue and with alternate ways to get around things (like with Hodgepodge) is the best part of the show.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

User-Friendly posted:

Combat is the dullest part of D&D, pretty much always. Griffin goofing around with the dialogue and with alternate ways to get around things (like with Hodgepodge) is the best part of the show.

Yeah I totally agree, which is why I wish Justin would let it happen

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

ImPureAwesome posted:

Yeah I totally agree, which is why I wish Justin would let it happen

Is it me or has he been sounding completely disengaged, both TAZ and MBMBaM, for like a few weeks? I get that he was sick, but he's sounded bored as gently caress in the last six weeks.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Spaced God posted:

Griffin added a pared-down episode 1.5 after the fact, because the first episode contained a whole lot of rules mechanics discussion that was super boring

User-Friendly posted:

Combat is the dullest part of D&D, pretty much always.

any part can be the high or low really, I've played with DMs who were brilliant with RP but needed to be refreshed on how combat works like every month, and DMs who made insanely creative combat encounters but couldn't be assed to deviate with how a module detailed a situation

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Is it me or has he been sounding completely disengaged, both TAZ and MBMBaM, for like a few weeks? I get that he was sick, but he's sounded bored as gently caress in the last six weeks.

It's not just you, but I've also noticed it on all his Polygon work lately, too. Dude sounds mad depressed.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Could be all the podcasts + work + toddler + TV deal finally burning him out?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Spaced God posted:

To add to the throng of "Start from the beginning", please do, but also be aware that there is a pared down version of episode 1 that I think cuts out a lot of the character creation and rules expalining. So if you're not necessarily new to D&D and want to cut straight to the story, there's a decent enough place to start. It's how I did it, and I've been hooked since about last July.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Mr. Yuk posted:

It's not just you, but I've also noticed it on all his Polygon work lately, too. Dude sounds mad depressed.

During the last TAZ, I kept thinking, if Justin doesn't want to be there, just leave dude. The poor guy sounded miserable, and Travis and Clint picked up the slack, but Jesus. I hope he's okay.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I seriously think that most people should go with the extended cut of episode 1, to be honest. It flows well and never really felt bloated. A little unfocused, sure, but unlike say Nerd Poker or Friends at the Table (both of which DESPERATELY needed really ruthless editing just to approach coherency, much less enjoyability), both of which have AWFUL chargen episodes, TAZ's is relatively quick and feels pretty tight, if just a bit goofy.

I dunno. I quit Harmontown when it switched systems, and never actually got into Nerd Poker or FatT (the latter I seriously tried to like and just couldn't). TAZ is pretty much the only DnD podcast I've consistently listened to since Harmontown and definitely in a more specific and repeated way than virtually every other podcast, especially DnD related ones. I've heard every episode of it at least three times over excepting for the current arc, and even there I've listened to the Hodgepodge eps like five or six times already.

Murder on the Rockport Limited might be the best run of podcasts I've ever heard, especially considering it's all constructed narrative over improvisational/nonfiction/comedy work. I seriously cannot think of a single non-fantastic moment of that entire arc. It's astounding.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Toxxupation posted:

Murder on the Rockport Limited might be the best run of podcasts I've ever heard, especially considering it's all constructed narrative over improvisational/nonfiction/comedy work. I seriously cannot think of a single non-fantastic moment of that entire arc. It's astounding.

Yeah I think that's my favorite arc too, everyone's on fire the entire time

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

I seriously think that most people should go with the extended cut of episode 1, to be honest. It flows well and never really felt bloated. A little unfocused, sure, but unlike say Nerd Poker or Friends at the Table (both of which DESPERATELY needed really ruthless editing just to approach coherency, much less enjoyability), both of which have AWFUL chargen episodes, TAZ's is relatively quick and feels pretty tight, if just a bit goofy.

I dunno. I quit Harmontown when it switched systems, and never actually got into Nerd Poker or FatT (the latter I seriously tried to like and just couldn't). TAZ is pretty much the only DnD podcast I've consistently listened to since Harmontown and definitely in a more specific and repeated way than virtually every other podcast, especially DnD related ones. I've heard every episode of it at least three times over excepting for the current arc, and even there I've listened to the Hodgepodge eps like five or six times already.

I didn't really enjoy the extended episode 1. I can't really remember the details, but I found it opened with too much dry rules explanation and/or character sheet summary. Not exactly putting their best foot forward.

Incidentally, if you're after other funny, character focused AP podcasts, I can't recommend Campaign enough. It's a star wars game by a handful of chicago improvisers, it's very funny.

e: Also the bit in Rockport Limited when Justin had everyone focus on the door then swiped the loot is still my favourite bit of the show.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

My favorite part is when they enter Rockport and meet all the Tom Bodetts inside it, and Merle puts in the killswitch in the charmed one. Griffin's disconcerted delivery of "Well...time to go, I guess..." Makes me crack up to this day.

Every other arc, in my opinion, has problems. From Gerblins being clearly From The Module as gently caress, to Petals' weird disconnected feel- it's a bank heist, spy thriller, and Mad Max-style bloodsport with each part not feeling part of the same whole - to Crystal Kingdom's bad pacing issues. But Rockport? Rockport's loving PERFECT.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
I feel like I'm the only person who REALLY liked Gerblins. It has some of the funniest characters and Magic Brian's death is one of my favorite moments in the series

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I really like Gerblins too. Rockport was great, but there's something about them improv-ing over the top of a module that really draws me in.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who REALLY liked Gerblins. It has some of the funniest characters and Magic Brian's death is one of my favorite moments in the series

No, it's just the spergs that nitpick the arcs. Pretty much everybody loves the entire podcast.

Listen to ep 1 in it's entirety. An extra half hour won't kill you.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I really liked the basic Gerblin cave and all the classic DND poo poo. Maybe it's just cause I super marathoned the entire series through to the beginning of the Crystal Kingdom arc and now have to wait between episodes like everyone else but I am enjoying this one the least, it's had the least interesting location, lots of super nasally Lucas dialogue and quite a few fights that have gone on a bit too long. Not listened to the latest one yet though and it's still been pretty good, just the weakest so far. Rockport was the best by far though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I love the entire podcast, to be clear. Rockport, though, is Griffin's opus.
It's loving wondrous.

thebardyspoon posted:

Maybe it's just cause I super marathoned the entire series through to the beginning of the Crystal Kingdom arc and now have to wait between episodes like everyone else but I am enjoying this one the least, it's had the least interesting location, lots of super nasally Lucas dialogue and quite a few fights that have gone on a bit too long.

Nah, it's not that. Although I still think Gerblins is the worst arc (pre-nature cleric Merle is boring as gently caress, nobody has a really good handle on their characters outside of Justin, and that's only by its end, I enjoy Griffin's universe over the straight riffs on fantasy that TAZ started out as), I could totally see the arguments for CK. I think the biggest issue, as aforementioned, is pacing; Griffin's even said so in TTAZZ, where he straight-up admitted that he's using this arc to set up his campaign's endgame, and it totally shows. There's big exposition dump early on in the arc when the main trio arrive on the crystallized ship for the first time, and a second one more recently that's clearly supposed to provide the crucial backstory for whoever the big bad is via explaining how planes work in the TAZ-verse. It's important and necessary, clearly, but it's awkwardly done, what with "I'm going to explain to you how this whole universe works, okay now I'm gonna double-cross you okay bye" Lucas being a character that exists in this narrative.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 10, 2016

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

I like gerblins too. All of MB, the poison cave bit, and klarg are all memorable bits. My list probably goes Rockport, gerblins, first half of petals (bank heist and little jerry), hodgepodge, the rest

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
I enjoyed TAZ: Nights, as I think everyone has a better understanding of their characters/backgrounds. It's a little frantic in the pacing, but Travis planned out several good puzzle challenges that got the party working as a team and set up a new plot line, all in the course of one episode. Also it could be argued that the disjointed-feeling setup for the challenges was in character for the NPCs behind it.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Toxxupation posted:

I dunno. I quit Harmontown when it switched systems, and never actually got into Nerd Poker or FatT (the latter I seriously tried to like and just couldn't). TAZ is pretty much the only DnD podcast I've consistently listened to since Harmontown and definitely in a more specific and repeated way than virtually every other podcast, especially DnD related ones.
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about FatT (I lost interest in Harmontown's DnD segment well before they switched to Shadowrun, but that was really the final nail in the coffin). I really wanted to like it, but the audio issues in the first few episodes were just dire, and even when they sorted those out, most of the cast doesn't seem to get what makes for a good podcast RPG, as opposed to a private session between friends. I will take Griffin doing exposition dumps or everyone sassing Clint about forgetting how to cleric and what he has in his inventory any day over the party sitting in silence while thinking up lore details, a guy nitpicking the DM over whether something is or is not magic, or a debate over whether a character's evil alignment is right. I'm thinking of skipping to season 2 to see if the different game/setting works better for the format and player crew, but maybe TAZ is just a kind of magic that other groups can't quite capture.

Amaryllis fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 10, 2016

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

If it helps I've only listened to season 2 of FatT and I've not had the problems you guys seem to have. The beginning still has a touch of those problems (most of the lore arguing is contained to an "episode 0" or their faction game,) and they reference back to the first season sometimes which is always completely lost on me, but overall it flows a lot better than it sounds like the beginning did. I will agree that nothing else has been quite as listener friendly as TAZ though.

Also speaking of referencing back I love whenever Griffin rolls stuff from the Flophouse game into his canon. I hope they do a follow-up at some point, they kind of nailed the same flow the McElroys do.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah of the ~5 d&d podcasts I listened to TAZ is the only one I can honestly say is legitimately entertaining. It's funny and I actually am engaged in the story.

The closet I listened too was the cast from the magic tavern doing a one shot that was pretty good. That was more a special crossover thing though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It amazes me that a team of LA based comedians who are all at the same location, who've all had DEEP experience interacting with each other both professionally and while playing D and D (Nerd Poker was just Brian Posehn deciding to record his weekly game, apparently), how Nerd Poker is such a deeply unfunny boring memey piece of poo poo.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Toxxupation posted:

It amazes me that a team of LA based comedians who are all at the same location, who've all had DEEP experience interacting with each other both professionally and while playing D and D (Nerd Poker was just Brian Posehn deciding to record his weekly game, apparently), how Nerd Poker is such a deeply unfunny boring memey piece of poo poo.

I was really excited by the idea and was absolutely disappointed in the reality, it is such a loving TRUDGE. Are THEY even having fun?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The only funny Tabletop podcast worth checking out besides TAZ is One Shot/Campaign, through one shot can be pretty uneven because, well its one shots, so they have a ton of different guests and different systems. But its mostly funny improv people so it works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Listen to ep 1 in it's entirety. An extra half hour won't kill you.

nope, griffin did the smart thing and edited out a lot of extraneous stuff. I tried listening to the pilot like a year ago, before I was familiar with the mcelroys/mbmbam, and I couldn't get through it, but then my friend was like "oh yeah, just listen to episode 1.5, it's a lot better," and that's where it clicked for me