Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Krinkle posted:

What level are you? If you're on pc I have like eight different guys who might be able to help. 4 kings gets easier with a friend, a friend who isn't beatrice the NPC witch who basically does nothing. She's great vs. the butterfly but terrible vs. the kings.

I'm soul level 50. Man leveling up in this game takes a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

FactsAreUseless posted:

How are you dying enough to Four Kings to get annoyed about the run back?

I hate the run to four kings more than the run to bed of chaos.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I didn't like the four kings fight much because I found it hard to judge distance. So I did a kind of retard mode version of it. I put on the havel set, equipped the highest damage weapon I could wield and just sprinted at them until I couldn't walk through them. Then I mashed r1 until I needed a potion or my stamina reset. Each died before the next arrived.

I would have preferred to fight normally although visually the whole thing is really striking

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

BillmasterCozb posted:

I'm soul level 50. Man leveling up in this game takes a lot

I have level 48 and a level 67 neither is big on fire weapons but I'm willing to give it a try. Are you playing on steam?

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Apr 10, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Krinkle posted:

I have level 48 and a level 67 neither is big on fire weapons but I'm willing to give it a try. Are you playing on steam? krinkle8

Yes, i'm BillmasterCoz'b

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Kay Kessler posted:

Also, the whole "was most likely funded by stealing money from publishers" thing.

That's the coolest thing ive ever heard about it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

2house2fly posted:

That's the coolest thing ive ever heard about it.

for real. did this actually happen?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Action Tortoise posted:

for real. did this actually happen?

The way I heard it was basically Gearbox was given a bunch of money for Colonial Marines. Colonial Marines came out as a complete piece of poo poo because almost every bit of it had been outsourced and gearbox was like "it's not our fault we hired these guys then didn't bother making sure they didn't make a bad game" and mysteriously, borderlands 2 came out really well.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's not confirmed either way, but given the huge clusterfuck that was Colonial Marines - and the timing of the accusations - it seems likely. Gearbox's legal history is...impressive.

e; basically what he said.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
there's this studio in florida, i guess you could call them an asset farm, that has ties to gearbox. i went to school with a guy who worked for them and i think he's even modeled some borderlands guns.

i hope he didn't get caught up in that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Goofballs posted:

I didn't like the four kings fight much because I found it hard to judge distance. So I did a kind of retard mode version of it. I put on the havel set, equipped the highest damage weapon I could wield and just sprinted at them until I couldn't walk through them. Then I mashed r1 until I needed a potion or my stamina reset. Each died before the next arrived.
You fought them correctly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, the Four Kings aren't designed all that well so raw attrition really is the most efficient way to take them out.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Goofballs posted:

I would have preferred to fight normally although visually the whole thing is really striking

this is literally the only way to fight Four Kings. I found them a huge stumbling block on my third and latest playthrough because I assumed you could beat them by being Gud. I am Gud. I beat every other boss in the game first time by being Gud. It doesn't matter if you're Gud. 4K is a poo poo boss for poo poo ppl. gently caress 4K

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

this is literally the only way to fight Four Kings. I found them a huge stumbling block on my third and latest playthrough because I assumed you could beat them by being Gud. I am Gud. I beat every other boss in the game first time by being Gud. It doesn't matter if you're Gud. 4K is a poo poo boss for poo poo ppl. gently caress 4K

yeah that fight is really abysmal

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I found it less bad than bed of chaos. Like you can put the idea of how to win together in your head and just go do that but gently caress up a jump in a game that's not really built for platforming and lol gently caress you. That's way more annoying to me.

That said visually its really amazing stuff, the 4k models against the pitch black are so loving cool I'm more forgiving but maybe I'm a style whore

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Goofballs posted:

I found it less bad than bed of chaos. Like you can put the idea of how to win together in your head and just go do that but gently caress up a jump in a game that's not really built for platforming and lol gently caress you. That's way more annoying to me.

That said visually its really amazing stuff, the 4k models against the pitch black are so loving cool I'm more forgiving but maybe I'm a style whore

What do you mean? The jump button is totally easy to use and not horribly mapped at all!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Whomever decided that ghouls in Fallout 4 needed to be flailing annoying assholes AND do radiation damage is a loving rear end in a top hat.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Ghouls are bad and infuriating but I find Children of loving Atom much worse. The do huge amounts of radiation damage quickly and their hits stagger you so if you get blindsided by one or two you could very well get stunlocked to death.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Whomever decided that ghouls in Fallout 4 needed to be flailing annoying assholes AND do radiation damage is a loving rear end in a top hat.

Whoever decided radiation damage in fallout 4 needed to semi-permanently reduce your max HP is a massive loving rear end in a top hat.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Morglon posted:

Ghouls are bad and infuriating but I find Children of loving Atom much worse. The do huge amounts of radiation damage quickly and their hits stagger you so if you get blindsided by one or two you could very well get stunlocked to death.

The ability to be stunlocked is loving awful in games. Who the hell thought "Oh, sometimes the player can literally do nothing because as soon as our stun animation ends the enemy/boss reuses the ability that stunned them until the player dies. Eh, they can deal with it" cause they're a prick.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The smaller bosses in Shadow Of The Colossus are loving awful for that. Their attack knocks you down for exactly the length of time it takes them to wind up and attack again, so you're back down on the floor the instant you stand up. I don't remember this happening in the PS2 version just the PS3 remaster, and I think I read something about the bosses' attack speed being tied to the framerate or something, which would explain it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

Whoever decided radiation damage in fallout 4 needed to semi-permanently reduce your max HP is a massive loving rear end in a top hat.

I thought that was actually a fun idea. Makes you have to deal with radiation in an entirely different way than other types of damage, normal or environmental, while still having it be of actual concern unlike how little it mattered in Fallout 3/New Vegas.

My complaint was that radiation weapons loving sucked in the player's hands. I don't know if it was the guns that sucked, or the radiation damage, but they were nowhere NEAR worth it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I can sort of accept getting stunlocked by multiple enemies, but letting the player get stunlocked by a single enemy is a huge design no no. It effectively means that whatever hit started the stunlock does the damage of every following hit, which is usually disproportionate. Bloodborne is absolutely terrible for this, and becomes an instakillfest once you get to the hardest content because you have 50% health and everything does so much damage that you die in 1-3 hits. Because some single enemies can stunlock you, little slaps that start the stunlock end up dunking your entire health bar. Their designers had well and truly given up when they decided to make you do everything with 50% health though.

Unrelated: Enter the gungeon apparently has nothing at all controlling the RNG that determines when you get certain items (most importantly ammo), or if it does it is not very balanced, because on my fourth run I made it down to floor 4 but did not see a single ammo box since floor 1. I couldn't put out any damage because all I had with remaining ammo was a terrible poison beam gun, which may as well have been a tickle gun.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Cleretic posted:

His enemies are also a very different type of villain than most of the DC universe is used to.Superman would probably struggle to deal with the Joker.

In fact he kinda did. The inciting event for Kingdom Come, as I recall, was the Joker coming to Metropolis and Superman being unable to stop him.

Joker came to Metropolis in a comic a few years back. It did not go well for the clown. Superman confronted him on top of a skyscraper, laughed at him, grabbed all of the bombs Joker had placed around the city without Joker even realizing he had moved and ended by convincing Joker that returning to Metropolis wasn't going to result in anything funny, just painful.

Then he went to have a little "chat" with Bruce about knowingly letting Joker reach Metropolis.

EDIT: Wait, this isn't BSS

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Four Kings would be really great as a turn-based JRPG boss, but doesn't work well when you're scrambling around trying to keep track of them all in real time.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Cleretic posted:

I thought that was actually a fun idea. Makes you have to deal with radiation in an entirely different way than other types of damage, normal or environmental, while still having it be of actual concern unlike how little it mattered in Fallout 3/New Vegas.

My complaint was that radiation weapons loving sucked in the player's hands. I don't know if it was the guns that sucked, or the radiation damage, but they were nowhere NEAR worth it.

No, they just suck when you get them because most of the enemies are flat out immune and the ones that aren't are usually not worth it since those are mostly generic assholes you kill by the hundreds and the best way to debuff their health is usually bullet to head. Plus I think the ammo for them is super rare unless it's a legendary modifier on a more common gun type.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nuebot posted:

The way I heard it was basically Gearbox was given a bunch of money for Colonial Marines. Colonial Marines came out as a complete piece of poo poo because almost every bit of it had been outsourced and gearbox was like "it's not our fault we hired these guys then didn't bother making sure they didn't make a bad game" and mysteriously, borderlands 2 came out really well.

My favorite 'Gearbox are twats' story was when Randy Pitchford came up with a bizarre stdh.txt story about winning the (apparently highly coveted?) name 'gearbox' from Gabe Newell in a high stakes poker game on a riverboat.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

khwarezm posted:

My favorite 'Gearbox are twats' story was when Randy Pitchford came up with a bizarre stdh.txt story about winning the (apparently highly coveted?) name 'gearbox' from Gabe Newell in a high stakes poker game on a riverboat.

A lot of things about Randy Pitchford suddenly clicked into place for me when I learned he used to be a stage magician.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

It'd be cool if not for the fact that it's so ridiculous. If it just took a little bit less off with each hit then it'd be fine because almost everything that does radiation damage will do a ton in such a quick amount of time that unless you carry radaway in pretty huge stockpiles you're just going to be wandering around with half your health for a while. Or you just use power armor because that's what they want you to do.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The thing that is dragging down Fallout 4 (console) for me is the one mod for Power Armor helmets I want to use has a bug. If ya' got the Targeting HUD on your power armor helmet it causes a whole lot of NPCs that should start neutral to you go automatically hostile, including several important ones in the main quest chain. Berry Mentants cause the bug to.

Missed out on what I am sure was some quality writing and decision making because I wore it most the game not knowing about the bug till later.

Bug could have been fixed by now, not sure, haven't played in several weeks, but still annoying.

World Famous W has a new favorite as of 12:05 on Apr 10, 2016

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
I've just finished Alien: Isolation and I really, really enjoyed it. One small gripe, though: no %completion indicator.

It shouldn't be a big deal but, in a game where resources are deliberately scarce, I spent most of my time trying to avoid using fun/useful items in case I was desperate later; had I known how far I had to go, I might have been a little more laissez faire!

I had a brief look at a walk through to give me a vague sense of how many missions there were but didn't want to delve too deeply for fear of spoilers.

Perhaps that nervous doubt is part of the experience. I guess it didn't drag the game down massively or anything, it's just a minor annoyance that could've been easily avoided by at least having the option to know how far along I was.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Nuebot posted:

Rad X and rad away are so abundant and refreshing beverages are so easy to make that like every single other Fallout radiation is a non issue.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I like Nuclear Throne a lot, but when I get to 5-3 it's literally a coin flip if I get good terrain to fight Lil' Hunter or not.

If I start in a hallway I might as well just alt-F4 because there's nowhere to dodge all of his attacks.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

RyokoTK posted:

I like Nuclear Throne a lot, but when I get to 5-3 it's literally a coin flip if I get good terrain to fight Lil' Hunter or not.

I'm glad I'm not just retarded and that that fight is actually 90% spawn RNG. Not to say that they're mutually exclusive. :downs: gently caress Lil Hunter. That guy is the sole reason that almost every single one of my good runs ended.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

RyokoTK posted:

If I start in a hallway I might as well just alt-F4 because there's nowhere to dodge all of his attacks.

If you've got hammerhead you can burrow for cover, otherwise you'll have to run to find somewhere and try to clear it for the fight. Lil' Hunter's a pretty big wall, but he's not too bad when you get the hang of him.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I know I'm guilty of whining about video games that I'm bad at, but with Dark Souls 3 coming out tomorrow, can we preemptively put a moratorium on Dark Souls 3 bitching for, like, a month?

It's a mixture of people complaining about games they're bad at and complaining about things that legitimately are not good, versus a crowd of people that can't let anyone tarnish the name of Dark Souls as well as the usual git gud patrol.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dark Souls 3: They gave the Japanese market a head start since they get the game earlier then the rest of the world. Its good to know in TYOOL 2016 companies are still not doing worldwide releases.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yea ok game, no worries, I will come back later once I've leveled up more to lockpick this cracked display case that I could shoot open or smash with my power armor.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Alteisen posted:

Yea ok game, no worries, I will come back later once I've leveled up more to lockpick this cracked display case that I could shoot open or smash with my power armor.

I like how in Fallout 2 you had the option to just shoot locks and in every game after they just went nope, can't let you do that. Seriously more games need to let you smash/shoot/break locks or just let you blow up doors. Especially when they're open world games and/or you're probably carrying enough firepower to take out an army of tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Morglon posted:

I like how in Fallout 2 you had the option to just shoot locks and in every game after they just went nope, can't let you do that. Seriously more games need to let you smash/shoot/break locks or just let you blow up doors. Especially when they're open world games and/or you're probably carrying enough firepower to take out an army of tanks.

Deus Ex was released in 2000 and it did a pretty good job of this.