Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Ah, Project Zomboid. The poster child of a game in eternal development. There's definitely something to be said about being able to finish a game before people stop caring about it. Bought in when it started (2011?) and still waiting for the day when it's at least mostly done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
terraria lmao

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

lordfrikk posted:

Ah, Project Zomboid. The poster child of a game in eternal development. There's definitely something to be said about being able to finish a game before people stop caring about it.
Cortex Command is/was basically the same way. People for some reason got hyped about it and its done absolutely nothing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think i've gotten way more fun out of cortex command so far than starbound, at the least

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Eeeh, IMO I think Project Zomboid has pretty much done as much as it's going to do. The biggest thing it's apparently still missing is human AIs. Other than that what else is there to add apart from tweaks?
There's a good amount of survival to it but like all survival games once you know how to cheese it you can just ignore the rest of the content.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I haven't paid attention to Starbound in a really long time. Noticed this week that 1.0 is coming out "soon" and so i've been getting that itch to play it again. The last time I played it is when Early Access first came out.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

oddium posted:

project zomboid... in space !!

we're calling it, sp'ombies

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I haven't paid attention to Starbound in a really long time. Noticed this week that 1.0 is coming out "soon" and so i've been getting that itch to play it again. The last time I played it is when Early Access first came out.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I said come in! posted:

It's changed a bit since it "launched" into early access, but not in very many positive ways, and by not as much as you'd think. No harm in trying it again though.

Almost everything in that 1.0 post is in the nightlies already, so it might be closer to release than one would think.

Also should I make a new thread for 1.0? when it actually launches, of couse. I figure that gives me about 3 years to put together an OP.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i personally will be very mad if a person plays a video game that is bad and enjoys it

very, very mad

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Babe Magnet posted:

Also should I make a new thread for 1.0? when it actually launches, of couse. I figure that gives me about 3 years to put together an OP.

Yes, and the OP should just be quotes from Norn and Rho from this thread. Channel your inner Garry Cleveland Myers

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't know who that is but I will

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't know who that is but I will

oh sorry

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I said come in! posted:

The last time I played it is when Early Access first came out.

The only thing that is different is that there's now a new race of "why should i give a gently caress" to play as!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

aw gently caress yeah, G&G is extremely my poo poo

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
A Goofus and Gallant version of Starbound would be amazingly good and cool, most likely gooder and cooler than the actual game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Gallant spends his free time coding small games and GUI projects in order to broaden his skill set.

Goofus programs pirate games in haskell.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Gallant busies himself with creating fun and interesting content for players to enjoy in their own way, at their own pace.

Goofus spends his time implementing artificial restrictions and gating mechanics, and enjoys the pace of life afforded to him by a slow backwards walk.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
Gallant gets an idea for a feature and works towards implementing it. Goofus takes away any abilities that might be attached to the feature and tells you he'll fix it eventually.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
Okay, wow! Now I see where people are coming from with the investment definition now, and it's a lot more understandable. It could really use a different name though - you're still spending money, but it's not at all what you'd tax as an investment since you can't get revenue from it either way. Unless this is on Fig, but does anyone actually use Fig right now?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Croccers posted:

Eeeh, IMO I think Project Zomboid has pretty much done as much as it's going to do. The biggest thing it's apparently still missing is human AIs. Other than that what else is there to add apart from tweaks?

It's like the developers got to the point where they made a robust wife smothering simulator and then just petered out after that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BillmasterCozb posted:

The only thing that is different is that there's now a new race of "why should i give a gently caress" to play as!

There was so much optimism and excitement towards this game until Early Access came out. :smith:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah we were all pretty dumb.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah we were all pretty dumb.

Did the devs just seriously lie about everything or what happened exactly?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
well we were all hoping for space terraria, and he was a dude from terraria and terraria already existed as the perfect blue print to jump off from, so we assumed it could be done

alas, Tiy seems to think fun is not a part of what video games should be

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BillmasterCozb posted:

Man remember when there were going to be differences in both mechanics and like, outlook/story between different races?

Well. Allegedly going to be, I suppose.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
Bah, there's still hope. Someone can make another game that's basically this, this is itself a variant of Terraria that totally lost its mind over time.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

well we were all hoping for space terraria, and he was a dude from terraria and terraria already existed as the perfect blue print to jump off from, so we assumed it could be done

the one gift to the world starbound gave us was being able to honk out "all the small things" on a harmonica to your friends and there was nothing they could do to stop you. more games please add .abc file support.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Starbound was valuable because it reminded me to pay more than 0 attention when backing kickstarter and/or EA projects.

I'll take one fail for a bunch of hits.

When's Cubeworld coming out :v:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Luceid posted:

the one gift to the world starbound gave us was being able to honk out "all the small things" on a harmonica to your friends and there was nothing they could do to stop you. more games please add .abc file support.

Fully agreed.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

victrix posted:

https://twitter.com/wol_lay

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah but I don't believe that guy

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Luceid posted:

This actually makes it all worth it, in a small way

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Magmarashi posted:

This actually makes it all worth it, in a small way

My other favourite was getting a few instruments together to synch up the Back to The Future theme to hit the first crescendo just as the ship enters warp in multiplayer. i'm not even kidding when i say the bulk of our playtime was probably spent looking for instruments or dank new songs to pipe into the game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

victrix posted:

Starbound was valuable because it reminded me to pay more than 0 attention when backing kickstarter and/or EA projects.

I'll take one fail for a bunch of hits.

poo poo I hadn't thought about Cubeworld in ages.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cicadas! posted:

Turns out Aseprite automatically upscales to 2x in the preview, but this is not reflected in the actual file. Whoops!

Here are some actual size pictures, my bad.

Plus this thing, which was originally going to be the AI station before I realized it was a bit too organic-looking, and also huge

Unless you were asking for the actual rock in which case

Thanks, though I'm amazed you were able to see them at all at 1x. Unless that was the joke.

Jesus Christ these are great

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Shoehead posted:

Jesus Christ these are great

If you wiped my memory and showed me those I'd have assumed it was lost art that myself or another artist on the team made.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Good Dumplings posted:

In a weird way I've grown to love it every time someone says "it's an investment". You're putting money in and not getting money out, why do people keep telling themselves otherwise?

They're idiots. But so are people who denounce all kickstarters. What it is actually, is patronage. A very old and proven concept. But an investment it most certainly is not.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

They're idiots. But so are people who denounce all kickstarters. What it is actually, is patronage. A very old and proven concept. But an investment it most certainly is not.

You are absolutely right except that people who generally say it's an investment aren't talking about monetary gain but rather time spent in the game making it potentially a more valuable purchase to themselves. They are investing in their ability to have fun so to say.

While it's stupid and wrong I can see where they are coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Luceid posted:

My other favourite was getting a few instruments together to synch up the Back to The Future theme to hit the first crescendo just as the ship enters warp in multiplayer. i'm not even kidding when i say the bulk of our playtime was probably spent looking for instruments or dank new songs to pipe into the game.
This is all I did when I discovered that it was possible to import custom songs to play on my space-guitar or space-organ. It will probably be more fun than whatever "game" they make out of this in 3 years when they hit 1.0

• Locked thread