Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Tiiiight - are the screenshots on the Steam page the "updated graphics"? Or are those the current Matrix graphics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

COOL CORN posted:

Tiiiight - are the screenshots on the Steam page the "updated graphics"? Or are those the current Matrix graphics?

Current. It looks exactly like every other DC game so I'm not sure what they'd be updating.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I really like Atlantic Fleet so far, but my god is ASW tedious. Is there something I'm missing playing as the RN? My destroyers keep getting their poo poo rocked whenever they even come close to a submerged U-boat.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

tatankatonk posted:

I really like Atlantic Fleet so far, but my god is ASW tedious. Is there something I'm missing playing as the RN? My destroyers keep getting their poo poo rocked whenever they even come close to a submerged U-boat.

Fire torpedoes at the U-Boats. They'll hit U-Boats at periscope level. The subs are slow, so easy to hit, and the AI is too dumb to dive. It makes ASW almost trivial.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
They've confirmed to me that existing DCB owners get a steam key.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Riso posted:

They've confirmed to me that existing DCB owners get a steam key.

I enjoy having everything on Steam. I don't know why it always takes them so long, but I'm glad they always get there in the end.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I think witw is still not on steam for some reason?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

uPen posted:

I think witw is still not on steam for some reason?

Neither is War in the Pacific. Either they're slow on coordinating with the developers on getting them onboard, or the developers actively don't want to be put on Steam (yet, and for whatever reason), or they're deliberately trickling out the Steam releases ... I guess to maintain an aura of exclusivity and try to squeeze out more of a cut from direct sales?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Neither is War in the Pacific. Either they're slow on coordinating with the developers on getting them onboard, or the developers actively don't want to be put on Steam (yet, and for whatever reason), or they're deliberately trickling out the Steam releases ... I guess to maintain an aura of exclusivity and try to squeeze out more of a cut from direct sales?

Yeah good point, it seems some developers really want to milk that "exclusive over my dead body" period. I'm just glad the DC guys released comparatively quickly.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

What I wanted for this game was a way to delegate certain army groups or fronts to the AI. In combination with different AI "temperaments" for the commander in charge. On the one hand you get that fantastic political meta and on the other hand you still have to move every unit yourself.

In other news: looks like Final Blitzkrieg was released some hours ago. My last Combat Mission games were Black Sea, Red Thunder and Normandy (+Brits, but didn't buy Market Garden), I also skipped Fortress Italy. I'm really tempted about Final Blitzkrieg though, since it finally has all the ridiculous German late-war equipment.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Were that the case though I don't see why War in the West isn't at least on there, since War in the East is.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Were that the case though I don't see why War in the West isn't at least on there, since War in the East is.

Their coders are too busy on WITE 2.0 to do Steam integration? I don't actually know how much effort it is to "prep" a game for Steam though.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I think the laziest version is to simply not do any steam integration and just dump it on their servers.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I totally believe it's a simultaneous mix of all three.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Speaking of aggravating Matrix things, I'm grumpy at how over the last two years the developers are just TOO BUSY to release a single screenshot or discuss a single thing about Strategic Command 3 beyond the first press release .

A little PR might help sales and enthusiasm, guys. :smith:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Speaking of aggravating Matrix things, I'm grumpy at how they release games from single-person developers that fizzle and die out like a wet fart.

See: World in Flames, and (I'm making a prediction) Tigers on the Hunt.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Dr. Bruce Geryk on Tigers on the Hunt

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2016/04/07/tigers-hunt-gets-tem-def-thats-aok/

quote:

Everybody gets old — the question is, how do you realize it? I realized I was old when I stopped being surprised by things that would have shocked me in my twenties. Russia ruled by a madman? No longer shocking. US soon to be ruled by a madman? No longer shocking. Game touted as Computer Squad Leader ends up being disappointing? Well…

quote:

If you were trying to alienate computer gamers unfamiliar with Squad Leader, as well as Squad Leader fans, but only had one game to do it, Tigers on the Hunt would be your game of choice. It is clearly built on the framework of Squad Leader, in a way that any Squad Leader player will instantly recognize, and it uses terms that are like a second language to him or her. Hindrance, Rout Phase, Covered Arc, TEM. But if you don’t know what these are, good luck. Hindrance is sort of described in a rudimentary glossary, but only that it “affects LOS” and also “reduces fire accuracy.” TEM is not only never defined (I’ll end the suspense – it means Terrain Effect Modifier), but is also just described as being “low,” “medium,” or “high.” Yet when you look at the actual terrain effect chart, this effect is listed as “DEF.” In a game where the designers throw around terms without definition, I would think that they could at least be consistent. “Is TEM the same as DEF, and if not, where is the TEM of terrain listed?” is a question I could imagine on game forums if new players somehow got far enough into the game to ask the question, which is another one of those fantasy scenarios of which my age has now disabused me. The interface, which will make no friends of anyone, was described by someone as “looking like a debug screen”. It’s so bad that you can’t even change which counter in a stack is on top.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Great, hoi4 is coming out in a month or two and I appreciate them making it so obvious I shouldn't waste time or money on their game. Very considerate of them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't actually kept up with any Paradox news in a long time (to the point where Stellaris is also coming out and I have no hype for it whatsoever). What happened to HOI4?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I haven't actually kept up with any Paradox news in a long time (to the point where Stellaris is also coming out and I have no hype for it whatsoever). What happened to HOI4?

It'll be out in two months.

E: I think uPen was talking about HoI4's competition?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

gradenko_2000 posted:

presumably it turned out like a hearts of iron game

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

dublish posted:

It'll be out in two months.

E: I think uPen was talking about HoI4's competition?

Yeah no, I read uPen's comment as "HOI4 is coming out in a month or two and I appreciate [this other grog developer] making it so obvious that I shouldn't spend time or money on [their lovely game, since HOI4 will be out instead].

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
Are there any war games which cover some of the less famous parts of WW2 (such as the British in Burma or Aussies in New Guinea) ? I'm looking for something at a more manageable scale than War in the Pacific.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Drone posted:

Yeah no, I read uPen's comment as "HOI4 is coming out in a month or two and I appreciate [this other grog developer] making it so obvious that I shouldn't spend time or money on [their lovely game, since HOI4 will be out instead].

This, I somehow was very confusing.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
First I purchased NWS:RtW, and as I was not a grognard, I said nothing.

Then I purchase AT:G, and as I was not a grognard, I said nothing.

Now I have WinSPWW2, and am considering PBEM. What horrors have I unleashed upon myself?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So this thread's been real positive about DC: Barbarossa, but it's not on steam yet and I have some time on my hands right now so my question is, how about the other DC games? Are they worth picking up?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

My Imaginary GF posted:

First I purchased NWS:RtW, and as I was not a grognard, I said nothing.

Then I purchase AT:G, and as I was not a grognard, I said nothing.

Now I have WinSPWW2, and am considering PBEM. What horrors have I unleashed upon myself?

If you're not* playing WITP yet, there's still hope. But not much.

["pure bit"? Thanks, autocorrect]

ZekeNY fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 10, 2016

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Orange Devil posted:

So this thread's been real positive about DC: Barbarossa, but it's not on steam yet and I have some time on my hands right now so my question is, how about the other DC games? Are they worth picking up?

I have Warsaw to Paris; it's a great came with a series of linked scenarios covering the invasion of Poland, the Netherlands, then France, with a final scenario covering a notional invasion of England if you do well enough in the historical ones. The combat system is very similar to Barbarossa, except that artillery is broken out into its own units and air power is modeled less abstractly, so you need to use those assets to soften up entrenched divisions before you attack them directly. The map scale is finer, which makes encirclement much easier (but much more critical) than Barbarossa. Barbarossa has a more complex logistics system, with rail conversion and truck columns modeled and fuel and supply tracked separately. But Barbarossa's real innovation is the character-driven political system, which doesn't exist in the early DC games (or any other game, except maybe Crusader Kings, really). My understanding is that Case Blue is similar to WtP, with some streamlining, but is set on the Eastern front (just after Operation Barbarossa) instead.

Anyway, the other DC games are solid wargames that are pretty easy to get into and very enjoyable. But they aren't as innovative as Barbarossa, which really does bring something new to the table. I would recommend all of them, but at the current prices, I would just buy Barbarossa unless you're really into the WtP campaign. Barbarossa will be on Steam 4/28, and I believe they'll give Steam keys to people who bought it through Matrix before then.

Tetraptous fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 10, 2016

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
If you're in no rush matrix often (1-2 times a year) has a combo sale where you can get WtP and CB together for like $30. They're both great games but they're different from Barbarossa. Best thing about WtP is the pbem where you can assign a person to each army and then goons can gently caress up invading Poland.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The best thing about the DC games is that despite 90% of the core controls being identical from scenario to scenario and game to game, they all have a very unique flavour. Invading France is not the same thing as invading Poland but with a different map. Case Blue does really interesting things with optional reinforcements and objective.

Vic is not a lazy developer, if you decide you like one of his games then you'll like the rest.

Not to mention shout-out for Advanced Tactics Gold, the precursor to Decisive Campaigns and current FOTM for goon mp games.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

CB doesn't have the same personnel management, but doing the prestige points can be fun. The rear end in a top hat dictators assign lovely objectives that you can take to get bonus PP. Or, if you really want it to be funny, set prestige as a loss condition. Enjoy throwing your armies at lovely things because Stalin really thinks it is time to attack.

WtP is very competent, has good scenarios, and is built on a solid engine.

Also we need to do another goon game because that was such an amazing way to almost lose to Poland.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Chump Farts posted:

CB doesn't have the same personnel management, but doing the prestige points can be fun. The rear end in a top hat dictators assign lovely objectives that you can take to get bonus PP. Or, if you really want it to be funny, set prestige as a loss condition. Enjoy throwing your armies at lovely things because Stalin really thinks it is time to attack.

WtP is very competent, has good scenarios, and is built on a solid engine.

Also we need to do another goon game because that was such an amazing way to almost lose to Poland.

I really want to do a WtP game, I've been reading a lot about the 1940 Western Front recently.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Would you all recommend Tigers on the Hunt, I've never played Squad Leader but it looks interesting. I would be down for some detailed squad level chit action instead of the "Control 10k troops in a single chit and mash them together for 8 turns".

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I would like to use this moment to appeal to all (new) grog game owners to tag their games with Grognard on steam so that we may have that as legit tag.

Thank you.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

I really want to do a WtP game, I've been reading a lot about the 1940 Western Front recently.

You can do the different nations against the two army groups in that scenario and it's also fun. I'd be down if more goons want to pile in.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Yeah I'm down for a WtP game. I had a lot of fun the last two times I played it with goons. I don't remember who had the bright idea to invade Poland through the northern swamps but I'm still mad at you!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

dtkozl posted:

Yeah I'm down for a WtP game. I had a lot of fun the last two times I played it with goons. I don't remember who had the bright idea to invade Poland through the northern swamps but I'm still mad at you!

oh hi

That was only my second time playing WtP ever (the first was when I failed to win the scenario in single-player as Germany) :negative:

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
I'd also be interested in PBEM WtP!

I've never played any of these games with other people. :ohdear:

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

That's four for sure so far.

For Case White we can have up to 9 people (heh). The spots are:

Germany:

OKH (cards and air assets, I wouldn't recommend just allocating airstrikes and getting yelled at, but it's fun)
3rd Army
4th Army
8th Army
10th Army
14th Army

Poland:

Rydz-Smigly (like OKH, but you won't even have air assets after the first two turns, really)
Northern
Southern

I would say doing 7 is more comfortable doubling up the supreme HQs.

For Case Yellow we can have up to 11 people (heh)

Germany:

OKH (see above)
18th Army
6th Army
4th Army
12th Army
Panzer Group Kleist
16th Army

Allies:

France
Britain
Netherlands
Belgium

I would say doing 2 Germans 4 Allies is comfortable, but maybe 10 with HQ doubling up could work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I'm also down, love WtP.