Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The best gun is actually the fightsabre, heresy is good and cool and utterly destroys bosses the more bullets they shoot, reflected bullets actually do surprisingly good damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

DolphinCop posted:

just as long as we're all clear about the best gun, the klobbe

there are so many I haven't seen yet, but the inclusion of this one is pretty great if only because the loving godawful klobb from goldeneye was my favorite gun because of the sound it made as it fired. asides from that, seeing EWJ's blaster, Dredd's lawmaker and the ATHF's Moon People laser were also pretty cool. Lots of variety keeps me coming back, even if the lovely wind-up blaster seems to show up more often than not.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Einwand posted:

The best gun is actually the fightsabre, heresy is good and cool and utterly destroys bosses the more bullets they shoot, reflected bullets actually do surprisingly good damage.

The bullet reflection dodge passive is pretty rad too. There are so many situations where you'll dodge and your iframes run out while inside of a bullet, but that reflect causes them to gently caress right off instead. Makes it so much easier to avoid damage than you'd expect it to. It's especially great against those homing skulls since they leave you alone forever once you dodge through em. Bullet reflection owns.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Ring of Triggers and TV meant I could do this at least once per room for 3 seconds. Sad that I didn't get a better beam weapon to do it with. Or homing

Game seems to be dropping a lot more items now after the patch. I had one room on second floor give me heart, key and ammo box. And I wish the ration was a full heal for the amount it costs rather than just 2 hearts ;( Would have gotten me past dragun if it were

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Got my second win and my 49th death today. Raiden Coil is my favorite weapon I've yet encountered. I hate the Corsair (ship gun) and I'm a little tired of how many basic pistol variants there are, but that's whatever.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jusupov posted:

Ring of Triggers and TV meant I could do this at least once per room for 3 seconds. Sad that I didn't get a better beam weapon to do it with. Or homing

Game seems to be dropping a lot more items now after the patch. I had one room on second floor give me heart, key and ammo box. And I wish the ration was a full heal for the amount it costs rather than just 2 hearts ;( Would have gotten me past dragun if it were

Imagine that with the BFG... you would just instantly destroy every room for free.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This game is already awesome and with the free updates and DLC they've promised I think it'll really be something special

Jusupov posted:

Flawlessing some bosses will give you unlocks too. Treadnaught gave some gun and so did the wallmonger

Ohh that explains it. Flawless on the floor 1 twins gives you their gun. I also got some boss guns before ever even fighting the bosses though, I got Beholder's gun before I ever saw it.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The green guy will buy literally anything (except your starting items which you can't drop).

Hold F to drop your current weapon, hold G to drop your current active item, and drop passive items by clicking on them on the map screen.

Drop something on his sewer grate and he'll give you some $$$ after it falls in.

The altar is a bit of a secret: You get a special armor crest in the first secret level (reachable from level 1), and if you can take it to that altar you get access to the second secret level. But if you get hit before reaching the altar the crest is destroyed.
Aw man I actually had the crest, got hit, then found the altar in the same run and didn't know this was what you do with it.

Not like I'm good enough at this yet for it to be something I go for regularly

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Imagine that with the BFG... you would just instantly destroy every room for free.

How good is BFG against bosses? Think I only used it to clear rooms when I found it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I heard it makes you cooler.

"Coolness" is an invisible stat that's basically luck -- better item drops and slightly faster item recharges. There are some items that make you cool when you have them, plus smoking cigarettes permanently makes you cooler in exchange for being bad for your health (i.e. it does 1/2 heart of damage to you).

I love this game

Also I picked up a shield and the description said "Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jusupov posted:

How good is BFG against bosses? Think I only used it to clear rooms when I found it

I don't think it's great there. It does a good amount of damage (enough to oneshot most regular enemies), but the charge time is large enough that it probably won't out-damage some of your other weapons. Its main deal is that its AOE is big enough to hit the whole room at once, which ain't too useful when there's only one target to shoot.

And since it hits the whole room using that one combo to shoot 8 at once is probably a great burst of damage to the boss, even if it's not otherwise worth using.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 10, 2016

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

CJacobs posted:

The Door Lord is some serious horseshit. I can't even begin to understand how to dodge that laser.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I don't think it's great there. It does a good amount of damage (enough to oneshot most regular enemies), but the charge time is large enough that it probably won't out-damage some of your other weapons. Its main deal is that its AOE is big enough to hit the whole room at once, which ain't too useful when there's only one target to shoot.

And since it hits the whole room using that one combo to shoot 8 at once is probably a great burst of damage to the boss, even if it's not otherwise worth using.

It's good against the tank at least, since it basically makes his extra spawns a non-issue. Probably pretty good against multi-target bosses too, like Trigger Twins or Kill Pillars.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
im loving everything about this but the soundtrack. it gets really monotonous after a few hours. oh well, i can always fire up risk of rain's ost :unsmith:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Man I sure love opening a secret room with a blank to find a single blank inside.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I stopped buying maps because secret room contents tend to be basic pick ups more often than not.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
The item that gives a single bullet back pairs really well with guns that have a special effect on the last bullet. I had that and that mailbox and everything was glitter and toxic waste.

I also found a gun that shoots big bangs. It's like a high explosive blank going off and will wipe the screen of bullets.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
So, uh, is anybody else having mad crashes on PS4?

In my house it's crashed three times, total: once upon arriving to the 4th floor, once walking into the 4th floor boss room, and once just at the start of the 2.5 floor boss fight. That's about the furthest me or my roommate has gotten into the game, so having the game refuse to let us progress any further is kind of infuriating

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lunatic Sledge posted:

In my house it's crashed three times, total: once upon arriving to the 4th floor, once walking into the 4th floor boss room, and once just at the start of the 2.5 floor boss fight. That's about the furthest me or my roommate has gotten into the game, so having the game refuse to let us progress any further is kind of infuriating

Your ps4 is broken

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Broken Cog posted:

I haven't left floor 2 without a handful of useful guns in a while now, and it's uncommon for me to leave floor 1 without at least one (unless I'm going to the Oubliette), so I don't feel the game is as stingy as some others here.

I've said it before, but I think just adding a guaranteed key and ammo spawn to each store would solve a lot of people's problems.

Making casing drops slightly more frequent and consistent would also help a lot, there's a huge spread right now depending on what the floor generates and the rng drop chance. Game isn't too hard floors 1-3, some boss fights excluded (gently caress you treadnaught), with just the starting gun. It's just way too slow and tedious when the game should be about shooting cool guns.

E: every now and then you get one of those isaaclike gamebreaking runs. Heck blaster+gun friendship+recharge while active passive with a few more damage and recharge boosting items = treadnaught dead in seconds. Died because game wouldn't cough up any ammo :(

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 10, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I haven't had any crashes but I kept the game running for like 2 days straight and eventually started seeing slowdown on a couple of the more intense bullet patterns from bosses. Seems like there's some kind of memory leak issue like Bloodborne had at launch -- closing the application and re-opening it fixed the slowdown for me.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ugh, I cant beat the dragun anymore. It kind of sucks that you cant practice boss patterns without actually getting there. I was super strong too but once the Dragun puts those swords in the walls its over. Destroying them takes way too long.

Edit: Also the elevator unlocks... 250 cases and 5 keys, basically pilot only?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I am really enjoying going 3 loving floors without getting a single ammo so that I end up on floor 4 using either the starting weapon or the worst gun I own, with 4-5 empty guns left in my inventory. It is so fun in fact that I hope it continues to happen on 1/3 of my runs. I wish I was exaggerating with any of those numbers.

This game is weirdly concerned with making sure you don't get to use its enormous list of cool guns. Slow losses due to RNG-based attrition are loving trash.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Sorry if this has been answered to death but it's hard to google something like this and not get bunches of spoilers all over the place.

I can't seem to figure out what the gently caress it means when I get a map and see a square room with something in it but no way to access that room. It's a grey-metal colored room. What am I supposed to do to get to this place?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's a secret room. The passageway to get to it can be revealed by shooting a wall with a non-starter gun which will make the wall crack, and then you use a blank to actually open it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just "finished" with my first character. Had a completely overpowered set of guns and a good active item (the plush).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FrickenMoron posted:

Ugh, I cant beat the dragun anymore. It kind of sucks that you cant practice boss patterns without actually getting there. I was super strong too but once the Dragun puts those swords in the walls its over. Destroying them takes way too long.

Apparently you can actually blank those swords while they're mid-flight and they'll just disappear.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Digirat posted:

It's a secret room. The passageway to get to it can be revealed by shooting a wall with a non-starter gun which will make the wall crack, and then you use a blank to actually open it.

I'm pretty sure that's the elevator-quest-guy room. Secret rooms show up like normal on the map.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Klaus Kinski posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the elevator-quest-guy room. Secret rooms show up like normal on the map.
Nah, it's always separate from the elevator guy. I didn't realize I had to shoot the walls to see the cracks, so that explains a LOT. Like, why I've never seen a secret room.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is there any way to use Nvidia Share to do coop online? I tried to start but it said no compatible game was found.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

I've finished up all of the elevator unlocks and I found that I preferred the Hunter, after initially doing runs with the Pilot. Problem with the Pilot is that even with his occasional extra lockpick loot, you're still gonna spend most of the game using your sidearm since you can't spend money or keys to keep yourself truly rolling in weapons and ammo. And the Pilot's sidearm loving suuuuuuucks super hard. It is utterly crippling for this elevator stuff.

Hunter on the other hand has a very solid sidearm. The dog also gives her extra chances at keys (plus other bonus consumables), making those "I got to the elevator but the game never dropped or sold enough keys" bullshit situations less common. The crossbow is cool too, letting you breeze through floors 1-2 in a way that is much more pleasant than slogging through it with the Pilot's garbage pistol over and over again. It's especially handy if you decide to do the Oubliette, which I think is a good idea even with the 2 key cost.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 10, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Apparently you can actually blank those swords while they're mid-flight and they'll just disappear.

Let me tell you what didn't work for me

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im still getting situations where not a single item drops for the entirety of floor 1. As far as RNG goes this should not happen, especially when you get item+ammo 2 times in a row other times.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
You don't have to crack a wall to be able to open it with a blank. If you know there's a secret room you can just blank it. Also the starting weapons have a different hit-FX when hitting a secret room door (and also the oubliette door, so be extra careful in chamber 1). It gives you the same hit FX you get when hitting objects (such as the torches on the walls).

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So on my current run I completed Chamber 1, 2 and the first secret one. So far:

-No keys have dropped, one has been dug out by the corgi at the end of chamber 2
-No keys have dropped from bosses
-All other drops have been HP
-Shops dont carry any keys, the shop in the secret level was locked off by a key
-No Special / Shrine rooms spawned.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

To be fair, they didn't say they specifically increased key drop rate

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Prop Wash posted:

To be fair, they didn't say they specifically increased key drop rate

They actually said this specifically.

Like what else could "adjust the key balance" mean?

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
So for anyone else who reached the fifth floor. Did your framerate suddenly drop to nothing when it was otherwise fine before? After clearing the first room I fiddled with the settings. I tried clicking the X by v-sync presumably to turn it off. But then it turns my already atrocious framerate into single digit bullshit. I tried turning it back on. I tried running back to the elevator room. I tried fiddling with the settings more. Nothing was working. I had to abandon my best run and potential game-winner yet all because my computer is too loving old...unless this is a known issue somewhere. Every floor prior to this is fine, but once I hit the fifth floor my FPS suddenly turns to poo poo.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

They actually said this specifically.

Like what else could "adjust the key balance" mean?

adjustments can go in either direction dogg

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

So this is the most powerful run I've ever had so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is there a reason to actually go to the abbey of the true gun? Maybe I'm missing something, but it just seems like a detour floor.