Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Check out this album by Pärson Sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBNRYdXn22Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

funkybottoms posted:

someone more familiar with krautrock could probably rattle off a bunch

like a billion Can songs, notably future days (or bel air if you're in the mood for something a little more stoney/beachey)

NEU!75

faust - krautrock

these are all kraut-rear end-krautrock tho, so less "ambient with bursts of rhythm" and more "rhythm with bursts of ambient"

other than that, i think early Boris might be up your alley, Flood or Amplifier Worship

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
really sad gay music like I Am A Bird Now and Put Your Back N 2 It

canis minor
May 4, 2011

8 Ball posted:

Looking for sparse, sombre music that's kinda like listening to rain dripping on a corrugated tin roof - in musical terms anything similar to the first half of Milk by Kings of Leon or the latter half of Tortoise - Djed

Anduin - Stolen Years

tinaun posted:

really sad gay music like I Am A Bird Now and Put Your Back N 2 It

Soap&Skin - Narrow
Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Out of Season

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

funkybottoms posted:

someone more familiar with krautrock could probably rattle off a bunch, and i feel like Spacemen 3 probably has some tracks that apply, but i can't pull anything specific

Between - And The Waters Opened would be a good one I think. Also Circles, Harmonia, maybe some Popul Vuh stuff(like In den Gärten Pharaos).

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Bandiet posted:

I'm looking for some long stuff that mixes ambient/drone with builds/bursts of raw repetitive rhythm. I'm trying to be vague because I know there must be subgenres for things like this, but I'm open for recommendations from any genre. So far I've most liked it used in rock (GY!BE, recent Swans) and electronic (Kesto-era Pan Sonic).

i presume you keep up with mika vainio's solo projects & collaborations? pan sonic bedfellows like autechre, vladislav delay, peter rehberg, russell haswell, and coil's more experimental releases like constant shallowness leads to evil et al, rhythmic noise like black lung and orphx, ambient/noise/drone/eai like lawrence english, roly porter, ben frost, oren ambarchi, kevin drumm, jason lescalleet, graham lambkin, peder mannerfelt, etc. etc. instrumental grime like logos and yamaneko and to a lesser extent mumdance.

on the rock side of things, bands like jessamine, bardo pond, tarentel and oneida.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 28, 2016

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Three separate requests, in descending priority order:

1.) I'm looking for bands in the Neutral Milk Hotel/Hop Along vein. They're two of my favorites, along with Manchester Orchestra, Modest Mouse, The Mountain Goats, and Iron & Wine, but I hadn't quite put the connection together before I read this line: "Frances, a student of the Jeff Magnum style of make-it-weird-until-it-works songwriting..."

However, the same article said, "There is no one out there like Hop Along. Not even close," which is what I've always thought about NMH. So, I'm not sure where to look. Help?

2.) Something completely different: I fell in love with Priscilla Ahn's voice from some movie soundtrack work she did. Any similar female vocalists I should look into?

3.) In 2006, my older brother made a mix CD for me with a song ("Words Impossible") from Winter Took His Life. I've always loved the song and I got several more from him at the time, but I've never seen anything else from WTHL ever since. It occurred to me this afternoon that maybe I should, y'know, Google it, and I found that it was the solo moniker for a singer named Susanna Brandin. It looks like she released a full album in 2007 but then joined a quartet band called Hunt. It's kind of hard to piece together. Anyone have more information on what's she done?

Edit: Thank you for the recommendations!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 1, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There's nobody that sounds like Frances Quinlan, but Laura Stevenson's songwriting might scratch your itch.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

surf rock posted:

Three separate requests, in descending priority order:

1.) I'm looking for bands in the Neutral Milk Hotel/Hop Along vein. They're two of my favorites, along with Manchester Orchestra, Modest Mouse, The Mountain Goats, and Iron & Wine, but I hadn't quite put the connection together before I read this line: "Frances, a student of the Jeff Magnum style of make-it-weird-until-it-works songwriting..."

However, the same article said, "There is no one out there like Hop Along. Not even close," which is what I've always thought about NMH. So, I'm not sure where to look. Help?

Early Beck (from Mellow Gold to Midnight Vultures, even Guero and The Information)
They Might Be Giants (especially from 1st album to Factory Showroom, but every album is good to great)
Beulah (sister band to NMH, also on Elephant 6)
Sufjan Stevens (Illinois, Michigan)
Daniel Johnston (1990, Fun.)
Devendra Banhart
Olivia Tremor Control (this band became NMH, also Elephant 6)
Pavement
Man Man
Yo La Tengo

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

surf rock posted:

2.) Something completely different: I fell in love with Priscilla Ahn's voice from some movie soundtrack work she did. Any similar female vocalists I should look into?

1) not sure "make-it-weird-until-it-works songwriting" applies to all of those artists, and a few of these aren't remotely weird, but here you go:

Mink Lungs, Nikaido Kazumi, Flaming Lips Clouds Taste Metallic, early Mercury Rev, Super Furry Animals, Beta Band, National Lights, Halo Benders/Beat Happening/Built to Spill, Will Oldham/Palace Music, David Pajo, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, Eels, Smog, Elliott Smith, Okkervil River, Syd Barrett, Bright Eyes, Sparklehorse. some people might also like Jandek as far as weird music goes, but i think it's completely unlistenable

as mentioned, the other Elephant 6 collective stuff like Olivia Tremor Control, Elf Power, the Gerbils, and early Apples in Stereo. i also second Sufjan Stevens

2) Nina Nastasia isn't terribly similar, but she's incredible. Azure Ray- labelmates of Bright Eyes and Hop Along- is worth a listen, too

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 1, 2016

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I wanna hear some chill weird summertime rap music.

I like Odd Future.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

I like Odd Future.

How about "Dennehy" by Serengeti?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I like Odd Future.

Check out The Underachievers (especially their first album/mixtape, Indigoism)
Anything by Chance the Rapper (10 Day and Acid Rap, also maybe check Surf which was a side-project)
Pyramid Vritra's stuff (he has a ton, it's all pretty good). He was actually part of Jet Age of Tomorrow which dropped 3 Odd Future projects.
Busdriver-Perfect Hair
A$AP Ferg-Trap Lord
Milo-So the Flies Don't Come
Anderson Paak-Malibu
Ab-Soul-Control System

For older stuff, Del's I wish my brother george was here and Lupe's Food & Liquor definitely fit the bill.

That's a decent assortment of variously chill/summery stuff. If you like anything in particular, feel free to ask here or in the rap thread for something more specific.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm not entirely sure how to categorize these guys, I'd guess Prog but I like how generally upbeat and higher it is, a lot of prog rock I've seen has been darker/heavier. Might have something to do with his voice.

Anyway, more stuff like this would be super.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p60OrH_02co
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixElEb5y7SE

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i want more music that sounds like first 20 seconds of this HEALTH song, and not so much like the rest of this HEALTH song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xOHQQmRSa8

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Coffee And Pie posted:

I like Odd Future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rQUxhL83Jc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycPbYqLDq4w

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

As someone who listens to barely any rap...

I'm looking for something similar to N.W.A's She Watch Channel Zero. I can't stop listening to this song. The Slayer sample makes me blast it every time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DrKrankenwagen posted:

As someone who listens to barely any rap...

I'm looking for something similar to N.W.A's She Watch Channel Zero. I can't stop listening to this song. The Slayer sample makes me blast it every time.

I can tell you barely listen to any because that song is by Public Enemy...

But NWA have similar production to PE!

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

I can tell you barely listen to any because that song is by Public Enemy...

But NWA have similar production to PE!

Ha, I'm a dope sorry. I was listening to N.W.A as I was typing my post. (You're still correct)

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

i want more music that sounds like first 20 seconds of this HEALTH song, and not so much like the rest of this HEALTH song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xOHQQmRSa8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVMR1HWODT4

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have and really love The Exciting Wilson Pickett. A lot of the other artists I think of as soul (Al Green, e.g.) aren't really the same kind of stuff. What else should I listen to? Aretha is great but already on my radar.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

guppy posted:

I have and really love The Exciting Wilson Pickett. A lot of the other artists I think of as soul (Al Green, e.g.) aren't really the same kind of stuff. What else should I listen to? Aretha is great but already on my radar.

I've got tons. Here's some artists I love, with album suggestions in parentheses:

Sam and Dave (Hold On, I'm Comin', Double Dynamite, Soul Men and I Thank You), Don Covay (Mercy! and See-Saw), Rufus Thomas (Walkin' the Dog), Arthur Conley (Sweet Soul Music, Shake, Rattle & Roll and Soul Directions), the Contours (Do You Love Me (Now That I Can Dance)), Darrell Banks (Darrell Banks Is Here!), Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels (Take A Ride, Breakout! and Sock It To Me!), Bob Kuban & the In-Men (Look Out for the Cheater and The Bob Kuban Explosion), the Young Rascals (The Young Rascals and Collections), Solomon Burke (Rock N' Soul is my all-time favourite album), J. J. Jackson (J. J. Jackson a.k.a. But It's Alright).

Otis Redding, of course; any of his albums but especially Otis Blue and Complete and Unbelievable: The Otis Redding Dictionary of Soul. More from Wilson Pickett - The Wicked Pickett and The Sound of Wilson Pickett are must-listens.

I'm very keen on Georgie Fame & the Blue Flames and Zoot Money's Big Roll Band. They were British R&B bands from the 1960s but they performed American R&B very sincerely.

There's probably a lot more I could mention but I guess that's quite a lot as it is.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That's fantastic, thanks!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

my coworker listens to good rap/hip-hop, but he basically stopped listening to anything new about ten years ago (with a few exceptions like Aesop and El-P/RTJ), so i need some help in order to not grow sick of hearing the same stuff all the time. something along the lines of ATCQ, Gang Starr, Wu-Tang, Dead Prez, Immortal Technique, Boot Camp Clik, Brand Nubian, would be awesome. i've tried Freddie Gibbs, Clipse, A$AP, and Joey Badass, but he only cared for the latter as Joey is so clearly influenced by music he is already familiar with. he's also incredibly biased against southern rap for whatever eye-rolling reason, although he can tolerate Outkast.

tl/dr- new NYC rap/hip-hop that sounds like 90s NYC rap/hip-hop

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

my coworker listens to good rap/hip-hop, but he basically stopped listening to anything new about ten years ago (with a few exceptions like Aesop and El-P/RTJ), so i need some help in order to not grow sick of hearing the same stuff all the time. something along the lines of ATCQ, Gang Starr, Wu-Tang, Dead Prez, Immortal Technique, Boot Camp Clik, Brand Nubian, would be awesome. i've tried Freddie Gibbs, Clipse, A$AP, and Joey Badass, but he only cared for the latter as Joey is so clearly influenced by music he is already familiar with. he's also incredibly biased against southern rap for whatever eye-rolling reason, although he can tolerate Outkast.

Your Old Droog is basically Nas. Action Bronson is from New York and has Ghostface Killah's voice (though he's moved away from sounding like him musically in recent years).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

funkybottoms posted:

Binary Star fits that mold

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

guppy posted:

Check out Shake What You Brought! It's a comp of stuff from the SSS International label

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

Ka/Dr. Yen Lo, Roc Marciano, Sean Price (RIP) (although the BCC namedrop suggests he's already familiar), Meyhem Lauren, Mr. Muthafuckin Exquire

I dunno, I tend not to listen to a lot of contemporary New York stuff, not because it's bad (although some of it certainly is) but because a lot of it's derivative at best or nostalgia baiting (Joey Badass) at worst. I lived with a guy who was like this, only listened to 80s/90s New York, hated trap, drill, you name it, but he really liked OG Maco for some reason (I didn't needle him on it, so your guess is as good as mine)

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

thanks, goons- a few of those look promising and i'm only familiar with a couple already (too bad Dr Lecter isn't on Spotify)

Radio Spiricom posted:

a lot of it's derivative at best or nostalgia baiting (Joey Badass) at worst.

sadly, that's exactly what i need, because otherwise our musical common ground is pretty small, and i'd rather listen to a second-rate Nas than Ween or The Black Crowes for the millionth time.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

A lot have been mentioned but here's a few more. Astro and Bishop Nehru are basically Joey Bada$$-dudes who are young and pretty much copy old NY style. Flatbush Zombies share a lot with that old style as well (think an updated Gravediggaz) although they're a bit more forward-thinking and modern in their approach (same for the Underachievers to some extent). The Doppelgangaz are also up that alley especially production-wise. GDP (if he's still making stuff), billy woods, and Ratking are a couple other choices you may wanna look into.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

Radio Spiricom posted:

Hey, guy with a name referring to a Tim Hecker song. Do you know anybody else like Tim Hecker? I've looked and found mostly nothing comes close to what he does, besides Ben Frost.

Also if anyone has ambient, drone, or noise recommendations I'd love to hear 'em. Acoustic, electronic, anything.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

HoboNews posted:

Hey, guy with a name referring to a Tim Hecker song. Do you know anybody else like Tim Hecker? I've looked and found mostly nothing comes close to what he does, besides Ben Frost.

Also if anyone has ambient, drone, or noise recommendations I'd love to hear 'em. Acoustic, electronic, anything.

Philip Jeck
Lawrence English
Blanck Mass
Cristian Vogel
Kane Ikin

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

alansmithee posted:

A lot have been mentioned but here's a few more. Astro and Bishop Nehru are basically Joey Bada$$-dudes who are young and pretty much copy old NY style. Flatbush Zombies share a lot with that old style as well (think an updated Gravediggaz) although they're a bit more forward-thinking and modern in their approach (same for the Underachievers to some extent). The Doppelgangaz are also up that alley especially production-wise. GDP (if he's still making stuff), billy woods, and Ratking are a couple other choices you may wanna look into.

oh, he likes Flatbush Zombies, so i just assumed that they were older. i dug Your Old Droog and Binary Star seemed to go over well, but Yen Lo is probably more of a headphone listen than something to rock while a bunch of loud-rear end equipment is being used. thanks again, all!

HoboNews posted:

a similar conversation came up on page 230 ITT, and i'm fairly certain a Tim Hecker-specific one occurred a few pages before that, as well

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

oh, he likes Flatbush Zombies, so i just assumed that they were older. i dug Your Old Droog and Binary Star seemed to go over well, but Yen Lo is probably more of a headphone listen than something to rock while a bunch of loud-rear end equipment is being used. thanks again, all!

Yeah Flatbush Zombies got started maybe 3-4 years ago, some youngish dudes.

I'm not surprised Binary Star went over well, since they're last album was dang near 20 years ago. If that was acceptable though check One Be Lo's solo stuff. The more recent things are hit or miss imo but SONOGRAM is still one of my fav all time albums.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

HoboNews posted:

more records i enjoy that sort of hit on those "harmful, but harmless" sounds and textures that tim hecker and ben frost usually go for:

belong - october language
infinite body - carve out the face of my god
yellow swans - going places
jefre cantu-ledesma - love is a stream
slowdave already mentioned lawrence english but in particular his albums kiri no oto and wilderness of mirrors

i would say lurk the phiz ambient/drone/noise thread but its like 300 pages at this point. other artists i enjoy include windy & carl, raime, :zoviet*france:, harold budd, grouper, wolf eyes, loscil, stars of the lid, laraaji, kevin drumm, julianna barwick, russell haswell, fennesz, merzbow, roly porter, graham lambkin, jason lescalleet, ricardo donoso, helm, rashad becker, oren ambarchi, ian william craig.

and oneohtrix point never and james ferraro even though they get namedropped enough

some labels to check would would be pan, blackest ever black, erstwhile, type, students of decay, spectrum spools, kranky...

idk, theres a lot of stuff, the ease of creation combined with the internet has resulted in a low barrier of entry these days and the gulf between good ambient/drone/noise and bad ambient/drone/noise is not as wide as the gulf between good rap and bad rap or w/e. as a result i just pick stuff that resonates with me emotionally more than anything.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 12, 2016

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
Holy wow, thanks all.
E: actually because I didn't see them on y'alls lists here but I want to contribute: for all the people that recommended me ambient stuff, check out Biosphere and Eluvium. Specifically the albums Substrata and Copia, respecively.

HoboNews fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 12, 2016

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I'd never played Streets of Rage 3 until recently and was surprised by how different the soundtrack was compared to the first two. Anyway, this one particular track reminds me of something (not from a videogame) but I can't seem to place it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGIkRS6TF-4

Even if you can't name a specific track, what artists or styles/genres are in the ballpark of this track?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

guppy posted:

Wheat Loaf's post is great (thanks Wheat Loaf, I've loaded up a giant playlist because of that). I'd also tack on Ike and Tina Turner's work together; it's never really completely clicked for me, but I think it would if I gave it more time and it's undeniably high-quality music.

I haven't found anybody running around today that quite does the manic Wilson Pickett/James Brown "holy poo poo this band is a well-coordinated train that could run off the tracks at any point" experience (it might not be the best way to describe it, but there's a sheer velocity in their music that's pretty rare), but I have been trying to find a modern soul artist or group to rally around for a while. I don't think I've quite hit it, but you might want to try some or all of the following:

Some other good artists that could pop up in a lot of the same conversations could include Alabama Shakes, Mayer Hawthorne, Tobias Jesso Jr., James Bay, and Fitz and the Tantrums, but I think the list above might be your best bet?

Most of these guys only have one or two albums out so it's hard to give an album recommendation besides "uh, check their stuff out I guess"

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

anyone got a recommendation for something with a similar feel to "when acting as a wave" by the dillinger escape plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FadingChord posted:

Wheat Loaf's post is great (thanks Wheat Loaf, I've loaded up a giant playlist because of that). I'd also tack on Ike and Tina Turner's work together; it's never really completely clicked for me, but I think it would if I gave it more time and it's undeniably high-quality music.

You are more than welcome. There's more I could recommend - I was basically reading off my

I'm actually surprised with myself for not recommending anything by Ike & Tina, because it's good stuff. I guess it's because their 1960s discography is a bit of a tangle and it's tough to identify a really definitive album like it is with most of their contemporaries.

quote:

I haven't found anybody running around today that quite does the manic Wilson Pickett/James Brown "holy poo poo this band is a well-coordinated train that could run off the tracks at any point" experience (it might not be the best way to describe it, but there's a sheer velocity in their music that's pretty rare), but I have been trying to find a modern soul artist or group to rally around for a while. I don't think I've quite hit it, but you might want to try some or all of the following:

I'm actually not so familiar with a lot of these guys beyond Sharon Jones and Leon Bridges, so thanks very much for mentioning them (I'm impressed by that James Bay song because my impression of him was that he'd be a sort of "real music" bore-lord like Jake Bugg or somebody else the NME loves). Are you familiar at all with Eli "Paperboy" Reed? Here's a (old) clip of him performing on Later With Jools Holland. His first three albums (Walkin' and Talkin', Roll With You and Come and Get It) are retro soul revivalist stuff. I quite like them. His most recent one is more along the lines of Mark Ronson or John Newman, which is a sound I certainly like, but isn't really the same thing. I think the new album he has out this year is going back to his original style (sample).

There's also Vintage Trouble - probably more on the blues rock end of the spectrum but they have a lot of 1960s soul influences. Charles Bradley is a Daptone guy who's been around since the 1960s but only started recording seriously in the past 10 years.

I often feel as though a lot of the ska groups who used to run around America could have been what you're looking for, if they hadn't been quite so juvenile. I'm not really mad about bands like Reel Big Fish, but I have a lot of time for the more R&B and 2 Tone-influenced groups like the Toasters and so on who were on Moon Ska Records in the 1990s.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 16, 2016