Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I stick my cat pans under my bathroom sink. Worked out well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Well, I mean, this is what I've got to work with:

(excuse the poor anti-tracking job)

Not a whole lot of space to put a box. The one I have, 15" W x 18 7/8" L x 11 11/16" H, just barely fits thanks to the bowl and the little water spout next to it. I do have space next to the cat tree and scratching post right now, but that's usually where the reading chair goes.

I'll figure something out. v:v:v

Also, it's looking like at least two inches of depth for (the current clumping) litter is best. At around 1 inch, piss gets stuck to the bottom and hell begins. Problem is that it lasts way longer than two weeks, and litter apparently needs to be changed every two weeks - which I think is insanely wasteful and a huge pain in the rear end.

Also also, Jackson Galaxy has a video on litter boxes and I don't think the advice is very good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzliLSt7myE

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 10, 2016

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

Well, I mean, this is what I've got to work with:

(excuse the poor anti-tracking job)

Not a whole lot of space to put a box. The one I have, 15" W x 18 7/8" L x 11 11/16" H, just barely fits thanks to the bowl and the little water spout next to it. I do have space next to the cat tree and scratching post right now, but that's usually where the reading chair goes.

I'll figure something out. v:v:v

Also, it's looking like at least two inches of depth for (the current clumping) litter is best. At around 1 inch, piss gets stuck to the bottom and hell begins. Problem is that it lasts way longer than two weeks, and litter apparently needs to be changed every two weeks - which I think is insanely wasteful and a huge pain in the rear end.

Also also, Jackson Galaxy has a video on litter boxes and I don't think the advice is very good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzliLSt7myE

Actually.... his advice is rather good and each piece of advice has basis for it. The part that you might not like is that it's a lot more cat-preference focused than people-preference focused, and half of the advice is more for people who have cats that are currently having inappropriate pissing/pooping problems, and aren't things everybody needs to follow immediately in my opinion. A lot of the advice can be ignored if your cat isn't having problems related to the advice.

For your box location thing, I'm not a big fan of putting it in the bathroom because from my experience, bathrooms tend to get humid when you take a shower, and that makes the litter get worse faster. Also, tracking gets gross, bad odors are concentrated, the box is usually in a cramped place that's hard for the cat to get into to crap and hard for you to get into to clean, if the door is closed the cat can't get in, blah blah blah etc etc. The easiest go to for most places is the laundry room/closet, since it usually gets more air exchange, it's usually away from main areas in case it stinks, it's usually an area that's ok to get dirty and easier to clean up, and so forth. The only bad part is if your cats are too spooked by the washer and dryer to poop in peace.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't mind the advice about the number of litter boxes and the type of litter box to use, the cat doesn't really have any problems with the litter. It is mostly that I have problems with the litter, yes, and I'm kind of squicked out by the idea of having a poo poo and piss box either near my kitchen or near my bed. The whole "you need to have piss and poo poo boxes in your living room!" part is what bothers me. It might be exacerbated by the relatively little space I live in, but it's the most convenient spot for me when I have to think about dumping piss clumps and turds into the toilet.

There is a spot that the reading chair usually occupies that I can co-opt for the litter box, and I might put the new one there instead. We'll see.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The litterbox goes into the bathroom because it's the place that has the best ventilation without it being out in the middle of the living room or bedroom. Some people don't have the luxury of having a separate laundry room or even a closet for it to go. I have a big open living room, dining room, kitchen, a bedroom, a closet in my bedroom that acts as storage and a small front hall closet that only has room for a few coats and shoes. The bathroom is the only place for it to go.

My setup is a lot like the one in those pictures, between the toilet and the counter because that's realistically the only place it could go.

Retro Ghost
Nov 10, 2011
My cat Goop was hit by a car sometime yesterday and crawled thru the 2nd story window around 5 this morning with a shredded leg... He's in the hospital now having his leg amputated & I'm not sure what to expect! This cat just sort of came into my life and I know a lot about dogs, but not much about cats. Any advice to help me transition him into a life that's 1. indoors all the time now, and 2. with less legs is appreciated!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Sorry to hear about poor Goop! Get him plenty of toys and perches (how high the perches depends on how well he's able to still climb/jump around once he's healed). Can you put bird feeders outside your window? Having something like that to watch can help him from getting too bored/restless. I live on the 3rd story so while my cats can watch out the window, they don't usually see any birds up close, so sometimes I'll put up videos of aquariums on my TV. My cat Ozma is transfixed by aquarium videos.

Play with him often. He may cry a lot to try and get his way - the best way to stop this is to ignore it, or offer him a distraction. It took about 3-ish months before Oz, who used to be a farm cat and outdoor-only, became totally fine with indoor-only life, but she was only just a year old. It may take your cat longer, or not as long, it depends. Keep plenty of baskets, boxes, catnip toys, perches, and again, play with him often.

Retro Ghost
Nov 10, 2011
Oh I love the bird-feeder idea! I live in a sun room so I will try to make that happen for him. I know he will be restless but I am doing my best to get my family on board to keep him inside, I've always wanted him to be an indoor only cat but it's difficult when everyone else lets him out whenever he pleases. Goop is about 3 years old so I'm hoping he adjusts. I've considered training him to use a harness so he can go outside with me and just roam around on a long leash, but I'm not sure if a harness will work for a cat with three legs?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Which leg is he missing? If you go supervised outings on a leash route, you might want to get him a jacket or vest-style harness instead of a strappy one. That might be harder to wriggle out of. Hopefully this accident shows your family how beneficial an indoor life will be for him. He may whine a lot at first, but as long as everyone is consistent in not letting him out, eventually he'll learn.

Retro Ghost
Nov 10, 2011

Huntersoninski posted:

Which leg is he missing? If you go supervised outings on a leash route, you might want to get him a jacket or vest-style harness instead of a strappy one. That might be harder to wriggle out of. Hopefully this accident shows your family how beneficial an indoor life will be for him. He may whine a lot at first, but as long as everyone is consistent in not letting him out, eventually he'll learn.

He's missing the front right leg! Yes I think everyone is on board with me now, I've made myself very clear. I will be moving after I graduate and he will be indoors only for sure so I'm glad we can start training him now. I think a vest would work well thank you for the suggestion!

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

Retro Ghost posted:

He's missing the front right leg! Yes I think everyone is on board with me now, I've made myself very clear. I will be moving after I graduate and he will be indoors only for sure so I'm glad we can start training him now. I think a vest would work well thank you for the suggestion!

Try contacting this harness maker and seeing if she can make a one legged walking jacket once he is healed. I have seen some great reviews and they will make the harness to your cat measurements.

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/218482654/mynwood-cat-walking-jacket-harness-vest?ref=listing-shop-header-2
or

http://www.mynwoodcatjackets.com/

I hope Goop makes a quick recovery.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

The whole "you need to have piss and poo poo boxes in your living room!" part is what bothers me.
Totally unnecessary unless you have problems; if you have problems, then it's worth considering.

Retro Ghost posted:

My cat Goop was hit by a car sometime yesterday and crawled thru the 2nd story window around 5 this morning with a shredded leg... He's in the hospital now having his leg amputated & I'm not sure what to expect! This cat just sort of came into my life and I know a lot about dogs, but not much about cats. Any advice to help me transition him into a life that's 1. indoors all the time now, and 2. with less legs is appreciated!
Cats can be pretty good about adapting and learning to compensate, though most of the tripods I'm familiar with lost their leg earlier than later. I think the biggest things you'll need to be careful about are increased possibility of joint problems and any changes in litterbox use. Definitely still play with them though; they can often still run around and the single leg gets buff to support that side.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Get better Goop.

Cats can be crazy adaptable. Like that bionic cat that just ran about with her bionic legs right after waking from surgery. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUhOKRKksCU

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 11, 2016

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Pollyanna posted:

Just to make absolutely sure - pine pellet litter reduces the smell of urine, correct? Wet sawdust will just smell of wood/pine?

Also wondering this. Am interested in trying this method so just wanting to see how this would affect odor levels.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you're concerned about aroma control, I've had great success with recycled paper pellets. You scoop daily but there's no aroma at all from the litter unless its a fresh poop and that dries out pretty quick. The only thing is it doesnt clump so you do a little treasure hunt for wet patches to try scoop the whole area out.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Unzip and Attack posted:

Also wondering this. Am interested in trying this method so just wanting to see how this would affect odor levels.

Most of the sawdust is fine or slightly pine-y, you'll smell piss if you try and get all up in it I guess but it's not even close at all to straight up cat pee. It works well enough for me and I live in a notably humid region to boot, though I could be used to it for all I know. I'd really recommend just getting a cheap sifting tray or taking a drill to a cheap Rubbermaid tub if you wanna try it out; you'll want to start cheap if your transitioning because not all cats dig the texture of pellets vs clay sand.

Retro Ghost
Nov 10, 2011

The blue bunny posted:

Try contacting this harness maker and seeing if she can make a one legged walking jacket once he is healed. I have seen some great reviews and they will make the harness to your cat measurements.

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/218482654/mynwood-cat-walking-jacket-harness-vest?ref=listing-shop-header-2
or

http://www.mynwoodcatjackets.com/

I hope Goop makes a quick recovery.

I've contacted them and they said they could easily make a jacket for an amputee kitty! So thank you for the suggestion. I'm already picking out iron on patches to make sure he looks like the lil badass he is heheh!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Retro Ghost posted:

I've contacted them and they said they could easily make a jacket for an amputee kitty! So thank you for the suggestion. I'm already picking out iron on patches to make sure he looks like the lil badass he is heheh!

How is Goop?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
My 17 year old grumpy granny cat just went to the vet for a checkup and did spectacularly, but now she won't let me near her to take the bandage off. The vet said they need to come off soon because they're compression bandages, but Miss Fussy Pants won't let me take them off. She's already stressed, but should I just throw a towel over her and suck it up and cut it off? I've tried plying her with treats and food, but she's just getting hissy and spitty when I get near her.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Maggie Fletcher posted:

My 17 year old grumpy granny cat just went to the vet for a checkup and did spectacularly, but now she won't let me near her to take the bandage off. The vet said they need to come off soon because they're compression bandages, but Miss Fussy Pants won't let me take them off. She's already stressed, but should I just throw a towel over her and suck it up and cut it off? I've tried plying her with treats and food, but she's just getting hissy and spitty when I get near her.

Yes, just get it over with. She won't remember it in an hour.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Yes, just get it over with. She won't remember it in an hour.

I tried and she lost her poo poo and wedged herself under the bed. I started to get frustrated and wasn't being very effective either. So I came into work and will try again in a couple hours. A few hours without me around might help her relax a bit. It's got to come off when I get home, though, because after that I have to stay away for several hours and I don't want it stuck on her paw that long.

We've done this half a dozen times; not sure why right now she's being so freaked out about it. Maybe bc my ex used to always help me before, and she bonded with him really strongly.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

duckfarts posted:

Most of the sawdust is fine or slightly pine-y, you'll smell piss if you try and get all up in it I guess but it's not even close at all to straight up cat pee. It works well enough for me and I live in a notably humid region to boot, though I could be used to it for all I know. I'd really recommend just getting a cheap sifting tray or taking a drill to a cheap Rubbermaid tub if you wanna try it out; you'll want to start cheap if your transitioning because not all cats dig the texture of pellets vs clay sand.

Awesome, thanks! Any recommendations for the drill bit size I should use? Even a nice picture with a for-scale reference object would work.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

duckfarts posted:

It works well enough for me and I live in a notably humid region to boot, though I could be used to it for all I know.

One of my stupid cat-related fears is that I've gone completely noseblind to the scent of the litterboxes and my clothes smell like litter and everyone's been too polite to tell me but they know me as that guy that smells like cat-litter.

Retro Ghost
Nov 10, 2011

Reik posted:

How is Goop?

Vet just sent me this! Goop's vitals are all good and I should be able to pick him up tomorrow. I want to snuggle him so badly, it's hard to wait. He's such a trooper. They told me he's still kneading and purring and a happy lil guy. :3:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Retro Ghost posted:

Vet just sent me this! Goop's vitals are all good and I should be able to pick him up tomorrow. I want to snuggle him so badly, it's hard to wait. He's such a trooper. They told me he's still kneading and purring and a happy lil guy. :3:

Yay! What a sweetheart. I hope your family respects your wishes and keeps him inside all the time now.

I have found that this:

http://www.amazon.com/SmartCat-3833-Peek-Prize-Pet/dp/B0006VMN4O

with 1 or more of these guys inside it

http://www.amazon.com/Innovation-First-Labs-Inc-477-2409/dp/B002R7IK74

Can keep a cat entertained for a long time.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Gross

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Awwww poor lil Goop. What a cutie. I hope he lives a long long three-legged life.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Retro Ghost posted:

Good luck Goop!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Unzip and Attack posted:

Awesome, thanks! Any recommendations for the drill bit size I should use? Even a nice picture with a for-scale reference object would work.

not sure, i remember instructables has a few tutorials on them. I'm looking at a ruler and I'm guessing 2mm slits might work, or you could try a ghetto way and hot-knife the plastic to make small slits. I'll take a closer look at my box tonight for a photo

MrSlam posted:

One of my stupid cat-related fears is that I've gone completely noseblind to the scent of the litterboxes and my clothes smell like litter and everyone's been too polite to tell me but they know me as that guy that smells like cat-litter.
i tend to like dark or solid colors, and both my cats have white fur, so welp

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Protip for thread: Anytime you get a cat coming home with a pressure bandage/vetwrap you DO NOT need to cut it off nor SHOULD you, unless its some ungodly whole arm up past the elbow deal (in which case let the vet office do it!)

If it's just a simple wrap around the forearm or something 99% of the time you can just unwrap it, or if its loose just pull it straight off (only do this if given the okay, ofc)

Also cutting bandages with the wrong tools is REALLY DANGEROUS! Kitties are stupid and will get cut when they thrash around being dumb when you just want to help them get this stupid thing off them. Vet clinics use a certain type of flat bottomed scissors to get the bandages off, your handy pair of office grade paper scissors is just as likely to cut kitty as the bandages.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Minarchist posted:

Kitties are stupid they thrash around being dumb

pro advice right here

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Minarchist posted:

Protip for thread: Anytime you get a cat coming home with a pressure bandage/vetwrap you DO NOT need to cut it off nor SHOULD you, unless its some ungodly whole arm up past the elbow deal (in which case let the vet office do it!)

If it's just a simple wrap around the forearm or something 99% of the time you can just unwrap it, or if its loose just pull it straight off (only do this if given the okay, ofc)

Also cutting bandages with the wrong tools is REALLY DANGEROUS! Kitties are stupid and will get cut when they thrash around being dumb when you just want to help them get this stupid thing off them. Vet clinics use a certain type of flat bottomed scissors to get the bandages off, your handy pair of office grade paper scissors is just as likely to cut kitty as the bandages.

Thank you for the warning. I thought of this too, but couldn't find the end. I did cut very carefully, and no harm was done, but lesson learned for next time. From now on, I'll unwind only.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Here's a photo of the grate fyr:

I actually don't have a ruler at home, so I put my old litter scoop on top of the grate. The slits seem to be juuuust narrower than the ones on the scoop. If you can, I would try to drill slits (don't have to make them too long) rather than just holes; if they get clogged, they'll be way easier to clean if they're slits.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Poor Goop :( I hope he lives a long and happy life indoors and warm and safe.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Get well Goop. At least he's doing alright now. Be sure to post pics of when he's home.

Retro Ghost posted:

One thing I know about keeping a cat indoors is that they will put on a show and dance for whoever they think will let them outside. They'll rub their face against the door knob, meow at you from window screens, and in general try their best to break your heart with their mews. One thing that's sort of helped for me is building a catio. It's small, jerry-rigged, and low quality as hell but it helps them get their 'I'd like to outside now please' out of their system.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 7, 2016

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
My cats are also content to sit by an open screened window and soak up the sunshine rather than actually go outside.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Are there any goon-approved cat tree manufacturers out there besides Armarkat? I've had two of their trees so far over 5-6 yrs and while I liked the trees the top perch always gets loose and they only have cream colored available in most models, which having a black cat it just gets very gross looking when he sheds on it.

Part of the answer is "Brush you cat more" I'm sure, but I'd like to get something sturdy with more variety in colors, and I don't like fleece.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So I've never had a skinny cat before. But I'm making sure (really Priss is making sure) to keep my girl active. My question is recommended brushes? We always used furminators, but that head seems a bit unwieldy for a little kitty.

I have woken up every day with at least three easter eggs around me and a playful kitty. It's so :3:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Nasgate posted:

So I've never had a skinny cat before. But I'm making sure (really Priss is making sure) to keep my girl active. My question is recommended brushes? We always used furminators, but that head seems a bit unwieldy for a little kitty.

I have woken up every day with at least three easter eggs around me and a playful kitty. It's so :3:

Order of effectiveness:
  • Furminators
  • Shedding blades (scary name for what's basically a metal loop)
  • Slicker brushes
  • Those rubber glove things
  • Combs
The rubber gloves suck and combs are really for detangling long-hair cats. Furminators should still be fine, maybe a shedding blade if they move around a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I just moved into a third-floor apartment and will be taking my family cat with me soon. She's 13 and active, and was raised half inside, half outside, same house her whole life. That ratio has skewed heavily toward inside as she's gotten older. Y'all think she'll transition well to asking me to use a balcony litter box?