Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Andrast posted:

He would be right since activating a scroll or a magic item like a wand is always at least a standard action.

Bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Andrast posted:

He would be right since activating a scroll or a magic item like a wand is always at least a standard action.

Yeah, this is one of the things that 3.5 changed later along the line that Pathfinder didn't bother bringing over when they filed the numbers off the SRD.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Seems like a wand of feather fall falls into the category of "yeah I guess so what the gently caress is the point of this even existing." Feinting falls into a similar category I think, as does the entire Kineticist class and most Fighter archetypes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sugar free jazz posted:

Seems like a wand of feather fall falls into the category of "yeah I guess so what the gently caress is the point of this even existing."

I guess you could use one to jump off high ledges.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Is anyone interested in the Ultimate Campaign rules for buildings and organizations?

I'm kicking around an idea of something akin to an "Urban Kingmaker" campaign, where small groups of players represent factions in the city. It's not going to be as grandiose as the "carve your own empire from the wilderness," but the groups would recruit followers, buy/build buildings in town, and compete against each other in some way.

A lot of these rules are designed for downtime in adventures, and can probably be run asynchronously, in a play-by-post format. I'd work on a web-tool to help manage everything.

I'd also like to have "live" sessions in our VTT, where the PCs could take some followers and actually visit the buildings of other factions (and maybe murder their mooks?)

Still spitballing and painting with broad strokes, but I'd love to gauge interest and get some input from you all.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That sounds fun, but I can't commit to anything at the moment.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Inverse Icarus posted:

Is anyone interested in the Ultimate Campaign rules for buildings and organizations?

I'm kicking around an idea of something akin to an "Urban Kingmaker" campaign, where small groups of players represent factions in the city. It's not going to be as grandiose as the "carve your own empire from the wilderness," but the groups would recruit followers, buy/build buildings in town, and compete against each other in some way.

A lot of these rules are designed for downtime in adventures, and can probably be run asynchronously, in a play-by-post format. I'd work on a web-tool to help manage everything.

I'd also like to have "live" sessions in our VTT, where the PCs could take some followers and actually visit the buildings of other factions (and maybe murder their mooks?)

Still spitballing and painting with broad strokes, but I'd love to gauge interest and get some input from you all.

Neat. There's something to be said about an entire tavern costing as much to make as half a +1 plate mail.

Great way to get a party to do quests though, trying to get advantage over other businesses, or secure additional holdings. It would be like The Guild, only 100% less more burning down the houses of rivals.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Rick posted:

That sounds fun, but I can't commit to anything at the moment.

Same boat here. Once mid-June or so gets here, I'd be willing to join the magic-moonshine-making business in town.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'd thumb through Ultimate Intrigue for a game like that, and I'd play it in a heartbeat.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

That actually sounds pretty rad, I'd be interested in something like that

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
I'd certainly be interested in that.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

It's too bad getting the materials for building without just buying them is more complicated than using psyker powers in 40k.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Axiem posted:

Same boat here. Once mid-June or so gets here, I'd be willing to join the magic-moonshine-making business in town.

Funny you should mention that. Third party Pathfinder has a fantasy sims tavern simulator sourcebook.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'll only join if I can play the lawyer keeping the organization out of trouble for all the poo poo we inevitably get up to

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eox posted:

I'll only join if I can play the lawyer keeping the organization out of trouble for all the poo poo we inevitably get up to

He did what?! Again?!

*pinches bridge of nose, sighs heavily, sinks into chair*

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm assuming we'll also need some Creative Accounting, either way Asmodean Advocate or Investigator is the way to go

edit: city-based campaigns let you go wild with a lot of character concepts and I love every single one

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Eox posted:

I'm assuming we'll also need some Creative Accounting, either way Asmodean Advocate or Investigator is the way to go

edit: city-based campaigns let you go wild with a lot of character concepts and I love every single one

The lot of you degenerates probably want to be Halfling mafiosi or Orcish shoegaze bands or something. Not I. This good Asmodean looks to make this city to be safe for respectable citizens, like slavers and august Vampire Lords attended by their trains of shrieking vargouilles.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Amway salesman. No ranks in diplomacy, profession merchant, or appraise. Charisma as a dump stat.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone from this thread is probably going to be in the same organization and we'll be Those Guys to any other pickup groups

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Eox posted:

Everyone from this thread is probably going to be in the same organization and we'll be Those Guys to any other pickup groups

I was thinking that I'd prefer the groups be smaller (2-3 people) so that we could run "live sessions" with 2 groups at the same time if needed. I'm not sure how many people/groups I could support in such a system though.

Still rolling some ideas around in my head, but it's good to see interest!

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
In that case who wants to join the Biggums, Boggins & Burke Firm for Aid in Legal, Accounting and Investigatory Matters (BBBFALAIM for short)

edit: Bottles, Bulk and Bilge is also acceptable. Really anything BB&B is funny enough as is

Eox fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 7, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Someone check my math here:

Level 9 Fighter:
+9 attack bonus from BAB
+5 attack bonus from STR (base STR of 16, increased to 17 by level 4, then to 18 by level 8, then a +2 STR bonus from items, for a total of 20)
+2 attack bonus from Weapon Training 2
+3 attack bonus from a +3 weapon (WBL by level 9 is 46k GP, and the base price of a +3 weapon is 18k GP)

That's a total of +19 attack bonus, which means I get to hit a monster with AC 21 or less 95% of the time, only missing on a natural 1.

Is that right? What's the most basic +2 STR item I could get? I'm not looking at full CharOp here, just testing some assumptions.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Belt of Giant Strength +2 is probably the most basic, for 4000 GP.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Your best +STR item is a sorcerer to cast Bull's Strength on you.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Yeah, the belt. If we're talking "a basic level 9 fighter," I'd also assume power attack (-3 attack at BAB 9), and I'd say a +2 weapon is a little safer (either from having it be a +3 with a +1 equiv feature or just from being a +2). On the other hand, a +1 from weapon focus or something and a base 18 strength or +2 racial (for 22 total at 8) are also possibilities--it's reasonable to assume someone will have one out of those or a +3 weapon, so +19 seems safe, with a range of +18 to +20 (or +15 to +17 w/ power attack).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

zachol posted:

I'd also assume power attack (-3 attack at BAB 9)

Furious Focus?

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Inverse Icarus posted:

I've crunched some of the numbers in that section of the book because I'm an insufferable dweeb.

I gave myself 30 days to set up the most profitable business that I could using only a level 1 fighter with starting wealth of 175 GP and two skill points, reinvesting all generated wealth into the organization. Turns out, the most effective way to do that is to just hire as many unskilled laborers with as possible, as long as they have one skilled supervisor.

After the first month, if my fighter was staying behind to make skill checks to help generate wealth, the organization was generating 10.7 gold per day in profits. If I left someone else in charge, I made a flat 6 gold per day in profits. This would change depending on the size of the city the organization is built in, since smaller towns have daily spending limits.

The higher level the building/organization, the less it wealth it actually produces in proportion to how much it costs, and therefore, the longer it takes to get a return on your investment. Since any type of produced capital can be converted into any other kind, you also don't have to worry about needing specific workers to power your organization. Moreover, having fewer large-scale and expensive buildings means that disasters in the daily events tables are easier to recover from. You can always hire more peasants, and you can hire them much faster than you can repair burned laboratories or defaced shrines.

Long-term and in an actual structured campaign, it might be advantageous or interesting to have skilled workers, a diverse organization, or a large, complex building, but strictly in terms of money generated per day, the investment with the highest proportional return is just endlessly adding to a pool of unskilled laborers. Because of the way the capital generation rules work, even though they're unskilled, they still contribute to GP generation far more effectively than an unskilled laborer actually would by just making profession or craft checks.

Running a giant, generic labor force might be less fun than, say, slowly building the country's finest wizard's academy or making a hospital with a secret cult using patients as sacrifices or starting a "thieves' guild" that does nothing but blatant protection rackets and muggings, but none of those are going to make you more actual GP than just hiring more laborers. Even if you have to spread them out to take advantage of different cities/towns' spending limits, there's rules for moving organizations and labor, and it's still far more cost effective.

So if you want to get rich without adventuring, start a fantasy landscaping company.

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 7, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Somehow I'm not surprised there's unintended consequences built into a Paizo system.

@gradenko: I think you're right, that a fighter can hit an at level target very easily. (Although note that a CR 9 monster generally has a 23 AC, per Bestiary 5 298.) I don't think that's a problem, though. Fighters are already poo poo on enough, and if hitting poo poo good isn't their wheelhouse, what the gently caress is any more?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Giving your reluctant friend something to do while everyone else plays Pathfinder, I guess.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I thought there was a separate thread for character builds but I couldn't find it. Apologies if this is the wrong place.

I'm looking for some advice on a character for an upcoming campaign. It's gonna be with gestalt class characters and with a swashbuckling/pirates kind of theme. My concept is a gentlemanly boxer who was betrayed and abandoned during a cursed voyage to the "Far East." Rather than dying there, he spends several years learning mystical martial arts and then returns home to seek revenge. He would of course have a glorious mustachio.

I know Gestalt is pretty cheesy but our group likes it.

Anyway the plan is to be a brawler/monk, with the archetypes Hungry Ghost (cause it's cool) and Master of Many Styles, but I'm having trouble deciding how to spend my feats.

On the one hand I want to focus on the boxing side of things by going with Outslug Style, Jabbing Style and Pummeling Style for tons of beatdowns. This would be supplemented by Ki for extra attacks, hopefully fueled by Hungry Ghost Monk powers.

But I'm also interested in grappling because I've never tried a character like that. Also Kraken Style is thematic as hell for a pirate campaign. Combined with Grabbing style I really like the image of putting two guys in chokeholds, dragging them around and tossing them off sides of ships/docks, etc.

On the third hand I'm interested in a trip build with Ki Throw, Vicious Stomp, Great Trip, etc. giving me tons of AOOs while tripping. If I can somehow combine this with Outslug Style I could trip people while pummeling them for tons of damage, then 10 foot step away so that they can't retaliate.

I also probably need some basic feats like Dirty Fighting, Weapon Focus, Power Attack and all that.

Between Master of Many Styles wildcard feats and the Brawler Martial Flexibility, I'm having trouble planning out what feats to take where, and which to save for martial flexibility. I'm probably spreading myself too thin with all this stuff but I want it all!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

@gradenko: I think you're right, that a fighter can hit an at level target very easily. (Although note that a CR 9 monster generally has a 23 AC, per Bestiary 5 298.) I don't think that's a problem, though. Fighters are already poo poo on enough, and if hitting poo poo good isn't their wheelhouse, what the gently caress is any more?
I was actually comparing it to a CR 5 monster, as that's the "1 to 1" monster for a level 9 PC, and a CR 5 (combatant) monster has 20 AC according to Pathfinder Unchained.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Blisster posted:

I thought there was a separate thread for character builds but I couldn't find it. Apologies if this is the wrong place.

I'm looking for some advice on a character for an upcoming campaign. It's gonna be with gestalt class characters and with a swashbuckling/pirates kind of theme. My concept is a gentlemanly boxer who was betrayed and abandoned during a cursed voyage to the "Far East." Rather than dying there, he spends several years learning mystical martial arts and then returns home to seek revenge. He would of course have a glorious mustachio.

I know Gestalt is pretty cheesy but our group likes it.

Anyway the plan is to be a brawler/monk, with the archetypes Hungry Ghost (cause it's cool) and Master of Many Styles, but I'm having trouble deciding how to spend my feats.

On the one hand I want to focus on the boxing side of things by going with Outslug Style, Jabbing Style and Pummeling Style for tons of beatdowns. This would be supplemented by Ki for extra attacks, hopefully fueled by Hungry Ghost Monk powers.

But I'm also interested in grappling because I've never tried a character like that. Also Kraken Style is thematic as hell for a pirate campaign. Combined with Grabbing style I really like the image of putting two guys in chokeholds, dragging them around and tossing them off sides of ships/docks, etc.

On the third hand I'm interested in a trip build with Ki Throw, Vicious Stomp, Great Trip, etc. giving me tons of AOOs while tripping. If I can somehow combine this with Outslug Style I could trip people while pummeling them for tons of damage, then 10 foot step away so that they can't retaliate.

I also probably need some basic feats like Dirty Fighting, Weapon Focus, Power Attack and all that.

Between Master of Many Styles wildcard feats and the Brawler Martial Flexibility, I'm having trouble planning out what feats to take where, and which to save for martial flexibility. I'm probably spreading myself too thin with all this stuff but I want it all!

It quite honestly doesn't have much to do with combat effectiveness but I highly recommend taking this feat from Ultimate Intrigue to complement the "Mystical arts" part

quote:

Feign Curse
You can fool others into believing you have ensorcelled them.
Prerequisites: Deceitful, Bluff 5 ranks, Spellcraft 1 rank.
Benefit: As a standard action, you can feign placing a curse on a target. The target must attempt a Sense Motive or Spellcraft check (whichever skill that target has a higher bonus with) against a DC equal to 15 + your number of ranks in Bluff + your Charisma modifier, with a bonus on his skill check equal to any conditional bonus he has on saving throws against hexes or curses (like from the spell hex wardUM). If he fails, he becomes plagued by self-doubt and second-guesses himself. For his next two attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, or ability checks, he rolls twice and takes the lower result; for every 5 ranks of Bluff you possess beyond 5, this ability affects an additional roll. This is a mind-affecting affect, and it doesn’t work if the target is immune to curses. Once you attempt to feign putting a curse on a creature, you cannot do so again against the same creature for 24 hours, and if the target succeeds at detecting your ruse, he gains a +10 bonus against future attempts.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
...Is there no rope in the Core Rule book?

What the hell?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Gensuki posted:

...Is there no rope in the Core Rule book?

What the hell?

Hemp and Silk rope are both in CRB, page 161.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The past two and a half sessions I have done nothing. The party arrived in a city and I wanted to use some downtime to retrain to have a familiar instead of arcane bonded object. We are only going to be in the city for those 5 days then leave the morning of the 6th. One of the party rogues got himself captured by a knight of the king and was being taken to the capital to meet with the king for some story reasons. This isn't really a big deal because we were probably going to meet with the king and agree to work for him anyway. The monk the cleric and other rogue were wasting time in the city doing random crap.

Then tonight only me the rogue that got captured and the other rogue showed up. So most of the session was the captured rogue meeting with the king. The other rogue tried to break into an off limits military type place alone.... And will likely be captured next session. And I am still trying to get my familiar. It will be a month real life between my appearances on screen.

The DM said he is going to give me some bonus xp to make up for it. We are also switching from medium xp to slow and converted our do totals to what percent towards the next level we would be so we didn't lose any progress.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I assume you've been having an amazing time up until this point because I would have jumped ship after that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

The DM said he is going to give me some bonus xp to make up for it. We are also switching from medium xp to slow and converted our do totals to what percent towards the next level we would be so we didn't lose any progress.

Wait, there are people who actually count XP instead of just leveling up when appropriate?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Andrast posted:

Wait, there are people who actually count XP instead of just leveling up when appropriate?

I'm picturing a Venn diagram with circles labeled "People who would throw the concept of XP in the trash", "People who are willingly GMing Pathfinder in 2016" and I don't see much of an overlap.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Scyther posted:

I'm picturing a Venn diagram with circles labeled "People who would throw the concept of XP in the trash", "People who are willingly GMing Pathfinder in 2016" and I don't see much of an overlap.

Fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Might be more overlap than you think, given that all the adventure paths have "Players should be X level at this point, Y level at this point, and Z by the end", and the Pathfinder Society ditches regular XP entirely for something like "Get One XP for doing a PFS scenario, you need 3 XP to level up."