Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I beat a platinum bipson non-stop for about 20 minutes before they eventually alt+f4'd on another loss and it was really obvious they have been quitting, because all they did was typical braindead-bipson stuff like dash in grab / hk and v-trigger devils-reverse crossup, no matter how often it got jabbed. Why some people think their imaginary internet title means anything at all is beyond me. Only reason I grinded ranked to get gold was so good players were more likely to see my lobby and think 'I'll join that lobby, they're probably decent at least'.
I had to look up "Bipson." That poo poo is loving hilarious. Official Bison Pressure... BEST BIPSON!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

this is too good

https://fat.gfycat.com/GrotesqueFixedAffenpinscher.mp4

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It was a really good set too. Highly recommended.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
What's the deal with Bison's head stomp followup? Every time I jump to challenge it, I end up kicking the exact opposite direction he's in. How the hell is that happening?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

A.o.D. posted:

What's the deal with Bison's head stomp followup? Every time I jump to challenge it, I end up kicking the exact opposite direction he's in. How the hell is that happening?

He can steer it, so he's probably going to the back side of you, and then back to the front. You should AA this move with a jump back normal probably.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Goddamnit it doesn't even look like he's loving crossing me up.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

A.o.D. posted:

My pad died today. My stick died two weeks ago. I'm out of the fighting game business for a while. :(

You should hold a Viking funeral for them.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

A.o.D. posted:

It can't crossup in the normal sense. After headstomp Bison can go forward or backwards. One of his tricks is to go forward so you turn around then pull back and come down with the attack back on the original side. If you are going to block always block the same way you did for the headstomp, if you are going to challenge its better to neutral jump or back jump and go air to air. Should probably challenge it as Bison is pretty + on it on block.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bhsman posted:

You should hold a Viking funeral for them.

I put them in the trash can, and then scooped my cats' litterbox on top.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

A.o.D. posted:

The crossup testing is really hosed in this game. Check out Ken's VT dash under combos, sometimes you can enter in a command and it will come out the direction your facing even though there is no visual indicator of a cross up. Other times it may actually come out on a backwards input, BUT in a direction AWAY from the opponent which is clearly not supposed to happen for any reason because it doesn't make any sense and looks wrong.

It's like the direction the characters are facing, the inputs you have to enter, and the move that will come out all have their own code that has different opinions on if there was a cross up or not.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 10, 2016

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
:siren: Australians :siren:

I'm hosting the first online tournament for SFV this coming Thursday at 6:30PM AEST. Entry's free and there are prizes, so feel free to sign up if you're interested.

Event details are here and rules/regulations are on the AUNZ SFV page, as well as the AUFGC page. Even if you're not interested, I've set up an AUFGC Discord that you can join to ask questions, matchmake, etc. I dunno if the Australian/NZ goons are part of the SA SFV Discord already but this one is more for the locals anyway so you should find a lot more matches out of it!

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Oi come down to the beach mate it's a paaaady mate grab a beaahh tossa shrimp on the Barbie mate I cant read or count cos I'm an aussie mate

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

The crossup testing is really hosed in this game. Check out Ken's VT dash under combos, sometimes you can enter in a command and it will come out the direction your facing even though there is no visual indicator of a cross up. Other times it may actually come out on a backwards input, BUT in a direction AWAY from the opponent which is clearly not supposed to happen for any reason because it doesn't make any sense and looks wrong.

It's like the direction the characters are facing, the inputs you have to enter, and the move that will come out all have their own code that has different opinions on if there was a cross up or not.

This game also has the old block in front, land in back mixup, so yay for that.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

What's the deal with Daigo's whiff jab into throw meaty thing? Is it just for timing?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
What's the frame data for quick rise/no quick rise? Can't find it anywhere.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What's the deal with Daigo's whiff jab into throw meaty thing? Is it just for timing?

People tend to block when they see the Jab.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
It's timing for meaty throw after a forward throw in the corner. You can also whiff jab then meaty st.MP or whiff jab and walk back slightly to make their tech attempt whiff.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

It was a really good set too. Highly recommended.

Can somebody link the youtube or twitch vod for the set?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Blinn posted:

Can somebody link the youtube or twitch vod for the set?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6DBsqcran8

cams
Mar 28, 2003

it makes me feel really good to see daigo doing some of the very dumb things i do against chun, like walking into ex legs trying to punish it, or walking into air legs trying to punish/anti-air.

now someone find me a video of daigo constantly walking into nash's moonsault

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/Doc_705/status/718988752828301312

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

edit: wrong thread

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

How is there no way to toggle between character/stage themes in TYOOL 2016? Getting real tired of hearing Ryu and Ken's themes.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Goodpart posted:

:siren: Australians :siren:

I'm hosting the first online tournament for SFV this coming Thursday at 6:30PM AEST. Entry's free and there are prizes, so feel free to sign up if you're interested.

Event details are here and rules/regulations are on the AUNZ SFV page, as well as the AUFGC page. Even if you're not interested, I've set up an AUFGC Discord that you can join to ask questions, matchmake, etc. I dunno if the Australian/NZ goons are part of the SA SFV Discord already but this one is more for the locals anyway so you should find a lot more matches out of it!

There's a few AUS Goons on Discord. I added this post to the OP.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
As Ryu I often end up in a situation where my opponent hangs out at a range where if I throw a fireball, they can jump over it or use some kind of special on reaction, and it'll connect before I can block or use an anti-air. Backing up doesn't always seem like a great idea, since it might mean I end up getting bulldogged into a corner. But closing the distance doesn't seem like a great idea either.. am I supposed to bait their anti-fireball tech out somehow and punish?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

dhamster posted:

As Ryu I often end up in a situation where my opponent hangs out at a range where if I throw a fireball, they can jump over it or use some kind of special on reaction, and it'll connect before I can block or use an anti-air. Backing up doesn't always seem like a great idea, since it might mean I end up getting bulldogged into a corner. But closing the distance doesn't seem like a great idea either.. am I supposed to bait their anti-fireball tech out somehow and punish?

Yes. You can exaggerate the FB motion and end with a light kick then MP on reaction if they jump, or just see if they'll react to you hitting random jabs. There are other options too, I'm sure, even jumping at them at the same range!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

dhamster posted:

Throw fireballs often enough that they want to jump over them, but not so often that they get to actually clear a fireball and land a jump in. Throw lots of different strengths of fireballs, vary your timing, never use the same sequence twice. Show them you're willing to throw fireballs, then do a bunch of fakes in a row. Most importantly, DP every single jump. Every one. No exceptions. No pussy cr.hp anti-airs, either, unless you're trying to beat something specific. A strong anti-air game multiplies the effectiveness of a strong fireball game, and vice versa.

Sade fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 11, 2016

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Mika players just spam the corner combo. They suck

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I guess I'm too lovely, I don't get players in ranked

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
it's okay i don't get them either

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008

Golem II posted:

yeah man and Ryu is bullshit all they every do is do that fireball over and over. AND he's got parry and a fireball that you can't block. I don't get it. This game's full of lamers and spammers and cheese.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Golem II posted:

stop getting hit by it and then you get to spam your own combo!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I have found that watching my own replays that I have some terrible habits. I've mained Dahlsim in every streetfighter game except this one. Maybe that explains why I'm always moving away in every match. I give up too much space and miss all sorts of opportunities to combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By4YgNZ1QwU&t=17s

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Need some help. I'm trying to learn with Ryu. I'm not an experienced fighting game player by any means but I'm at the point where I'm winning against bronze level Ryu and Kens. However I get into a matchup with Zangief and can't do poo poo. Jump forward = insta dead. Move backwards I'm alive till I run out of space and the fucker catches me. Block and I'm dead because he grabs me and fucks my poo poo up. Any strats?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

akadajet posted:

Need some help. I'm trying to learn with Ryu. I'm not an experienced fighting game player by any means but I'm at the point where I'm winning against bronze level Ryu and Kens. However I get into a matchup with Zangief and can't do poo poo. Jump forward = insta dead. Move backwards I'm alive till I run out of space and the fucker catches me. Block and I'm dead because he grabs me and fucks my poo poo up. Any strats?

hit him when he walks at you, walk forward dont jump

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/teamsecret/status/719546984672141312

Yay Poongko :3:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

akadajet posted:

Start by throwing some fireballs.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

NecroMonster posted:

Start by throwing some fireballs.

Yeah, doing that.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Oh ok then.

1) stop jumping

2) wait for zangief to try and get close to you, or walk towards him

3) kick or punch him when you are at maximum (or just outside of maximum) range for your longest reaching fastest activating normal

or...

1) wait for him to jump at you

2) anti-air him

Basically, you need to be patient and use your normals and specials not to "do damage" but to keep him away from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

NecroMonster posted:

Oh ok then.

1) stop jumping

2) wait for zangief to try and get close to you, or walk towards him

3) kick or punch him when you are at maximum (or just outside of maximum) range for your longest reaching fastest activating normal

or...

1) wait for him to jump at you

2) anti-air him

Basically, you need to be patient and use your normals and specials not to "do damage" but to keep him away from you.

So it's mostly an avoidance game. I wasn't having much luck with anti-airs but probably slow execution on my part.