Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lfield
May 10, 2008
i want to watch superman stare out of a rainy window in muted colors and slow motion and presumably have feelings

thats the poo poo right there. zizek. objectivism. yaas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

thathonkey posted:

the opening part of watchmen that snyder is praised for is the bob dylan times we are a changin' intro right not the first proper scene of the story that he turns into an amped up fight scene with ample slo-mo

yeah

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

thathonkey posted:

the opening part of watchmen that snyder is praised for is the bob dylan times we are a changin' intro right not the first proper scene of the story that he turns into an amped up fight scene with ample slo-mo

yeah, it was a clever way to capture all the backstory the comics had set up without bogging itself down with 45 minutes of exposition

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

JediTalentAgent posted:

"American's pay millions to see unpopular movies: News at 11."

So, at the end of the day, being out nearly 3 weeks, it's made nearly $300M, which is probably pretty good. At this rate, it'll probably do between $320-$340M domestically, or maybe climb as high as $375-$400M if the rumors of WB re-releasing as the extended R-rated cut are true. All things considered, it's not really the flop I think most people are making it out to be with the exception of it not making half-billion dollars.

except it will do nowhere near as good as Avengers and it's ad budget is a big question mark but reportedly gigantic

Not that Avengers deserved to do as well as it did. It really is just a bunch of sardonic quips. But at least what little narrative there was kept together better than this poo poo

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Avengers movies are the worst Marvel movies

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lol at this loving safe zone poo poo from some regular CineD posters (hodor, xeno)

BvS wasn't perfect but the bile being spewed by nerds isn't surprising.

Muh muh muh Superman and Batman destroyed by that FUKKEN AYN RAND OBJECTIONIST JOCK!!!!!!!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Muh muh muh Superman and Batman destroyed by that FUKKEN AYN RAND OBJECTIONIST JOCK!!!!!!!!

this is really what you came here with.

can't blame sane cd regulars for coming here if that's what peeps are gonna pull.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Vintersorg posted:

lol at this loving safe zone poo poo from some regular CineD posters (hodor, xeno)

wait what
usually its the nerdier doofs who kneejerk defend bvs because they think the criticism is an attack against their hobby and therefore themselves

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah dawg that's not really what's being said. It's more like people bringing up actual legitimate real life honest to god criticisms and then getting shouted down because heaven forbid anyone be critical of Zach Snyder's "art".

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Vintersorg posted:

Superman and Batman destroyed by that FUKKEN AYN RAND OBJECTIONIST JOCK!!!!!!!!

be fair, dude's politics did ruin part of watchmen. at the end of the comic it shows that Ozymandias did have positive short term effects by implying Robert Redford was gonna be president. Snyder changed it back to Ronald Reagan.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah dawg that's not really what's being said. It's more like people bringing up actual legitimate real life honest to god criticisms and then getting shouted down because heaven forbid anyone be critical of Zach Snyder's "art".

yeah it's akin to the poo poo i see like "it's just a comic book movie shut off your brain and enjoy the action scenes".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

JazzFlight posted:

wait what
usually its the nerdier doofs who kneejerk defend bvs because they think the criticism is an attack against their hobby and therefore themselves

Zack Snyder is an attack on their hobby is what I gleam from it all. It explains the anger so many people had with MoS and now BvS. Since these are drastically different but enjoyable (to me and others) takes on the characters it's not right in their heads.

There are legitimate gripes. The movie jumps all over the place and after 2 viewings it's still not enjoyable. Doomsday was stupid. The spear scene was stupid as well.

But I enjoy this Superman and now the new Batman. Can't say anything about Wonder Woman.

But from everything I read, Zack Snyder has personally poo poo in everyone's mouth. It reminds me of the hatred from nerds going on about George Lucas raping their childhoods (but with love... With love).

lfield
May 10, 2008
or maybe people just like making fun of snyder's films for being bad. & arent actually crying & sputtering with rage as you seem to want them to be

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
how could you enjoy this superman

he's a boring dick that spends most of the movie standing around brooding

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

But from everything I read, Zack Snyder has personally poo poo in everyone's mouth. It reminds me of the hatred from nerds going on about George Lucas raping their childhoods (but with love... With love).

if you've read a single interview with snyder you'd know he's pretty dumb.

if you enjoyed the new superman there's no reasoning with you tho.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

if you've read a single interview with snyder you'd know he's pretty dumb.

im sure but if youve seen one of his movies you already know this though

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Vintersorg posted:

Zack Snyder is an attack on their hobby is what I gleam from it all. It explains the anger so many people had with MoS and now BvS. Since these are drastically different but enjoyable (to me and others) takes on the characters it's not right in their heads.

Different isn't always bad, but sometimes it is. and when you take something good, and do something different with it, and that different thing you do is bad, people might say, "I don't like this different bad thing, I like the original good thing"

That's not because they're angry that thing is different, but because it is bad. They will point to the difference as why it's bad, because the original thing is good, and the changed different version is bad.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lfield posted:

or maybe people just like making fun of snyder's films for being bad. & arent actually crying & sputtering with rage as you seem to want them to be

which is fine

But then some go the distance of saying, "superman wouldn't do this..." and the essays come out. one guy was even depressed and sad (no hyperbole from them either) after seeing the drat movie.

this Superman is a great take because it's not really fun times to be something this powerful. imagine having the entire worlds problems thrusted on your shoulders. it's a huge burden. Snyder touched upon this in a recent interview where he was asked why couldn't he save Martha. he responded along the lines that if he tries to listen for her it's mixed with other horrible things, that couple fighting, murders, lonely kids, etc. can't save everyone and sometimes people gotta die. It's a interesting view and if it wasn't people wouldn't still be discussing MoS after all this time.

Avengers is a fun movie but it doesn't bring up discussion like this.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
yeah but he can listen for Lois Lane being pushed off a building hundreds of miles away with no problems?

also the movie never actually explores this at all?

something tells me this Zack Snyder character isnt a very good filmmaker

lfield
May 10, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

how could you enjoy this superman

he's a boring dick that spends most of the movie standing around brooding

you don't have the appropriate education in art criticism to fully understand everything going on in one of those slow-mo brooding shots

the 3-second scene where superman hovered over the senate made me think about Lacan, Barthes, Hegel, Zizek, Freud, Hume & i also recalled the entirety of das kapital from memory

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

boom boom boom posted:

the cined thread is talking about this thread talking about the cined thread

Have any of them used their special eyes to determine the true author's intent of my posts?

If you read Zizek, you'll see that when I point out that Lois having psychic powers to determine the need for the kryptonite spear and how that compares to Batman having the powers of premonition are not a critique but rather a chance to express a feminist nihilistic allegory for seeing the future of DC films by seeing the future of DC films seeing the future of DC films in a DC film.

When you see that I see that they see what the writers saw that I'd see they saw that we see what they saw what we will see as they see it in the past in future tense.

Sorry if you're stupid and you think I don't like this movie, pleb. :smuggo:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vintersorg posted:

There are legitimate gripes. The movie jumps all over the place and after 2 viewings it's still not enjoyable. Doomsday was stupid. The spear scene was stupid as well.

But I enjoy this Superman and now the new Batman. Can't say anything about Wonder Woman.

I have nothing against Zach Snyder, honest to god. I've really liked the vast majority of his movies (haven't seen Sucker Punch), and visually I liked 'Man of Steel' and I'm willing to overlook the "NOT MY SUPERMAN!!!" stuff because it's kinda an origin story where Superman is finding himself and learning to be Superman, and I can respect that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CharlestonJew posted:

yeah but he can listen for Lois Lane being pushed off a building hundreds of miles away with no problems?

something tells me this Zack Snyder character isnt a very good filmmaker

it does break with stuff like that, I agree

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Xenomrph posted:

I have nothing against Zach Snyder, honest to god. I've really liked the vast majority of his movies (haven't seen Sucker Punch), and visually I liked 'Man of Steel' and I'm willing to overlook the "NOT MY SUPERMAN!!!" stuff because it's kinda an origin story where Superman is finding himself and learning to be Superman, and I can respect that.

The problem with that is we have no idea what kind of Superman he is at the end. His first superheroics ended with Superman murdering the bad guy, doe s that mean this Superman is OK with murder? I guess they answer that in BvS, but I at least didn't have a strong idea of the character at the end of Man of Steel.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

this Superman is a great take because it's not really fun times to be something this powerful. imagine having the entire worlds problems thrusted on your shoulders. it's a huge burden. Snyder touched upon this in a recent interview where he was asked why couldn't he save Martha. he responded along the lines that if he tries to listen for her it's mixed with other horrible things, that couple fighting, murders, lonely kids, etc. can't save everyone and sometimes people gotta die. It's a interesting view and if it wasn't people wouldn't still be discussing MoS after all this time.

this isn't a new take. it's always been part of superman. plus that isn't even what the movie is saying, it's saying that actively saving people leads to people dying which is a loving terrible message.

people aren't discussing it because it's that interesting or novel or whatever and snyder dropped the ball with the best example of it - pa kent's death. he seemed to totally miss the point of why it happened the way it did in every other incarnation. people don't discuss the star wars prequels because they were good or interesting in their own right.

that snyder's superman is lovely and the old version is better isn't why bvs is bad tho.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 10, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

Snyder touched upon this in a recent interview where he was asked why couldn't he save Martha. he responded along the lines that if he tries to listen for her it's mixed with other horrible things, that couple fighting, murders, lonely kids, etc. can't save everyone and sometimes people gotta die.

but he could save them all, he has super speed. hes superman!

sounds like hes just lazy to me

lfield
May 10, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

this Superman is a great take because it's not really fun times to be something this powerful. imagine having the entire worlds problems thrusted on your shoulders.

i think that take on the character is unnecessary, to be honest. just personal opinion but i'd prefer a superman who likes being a hero and always saves the day, etc

maybe i'd feel different if the grim muted superman was done well, but i think snyder flubs it pretty bad

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Rutibex posted:

but he could save them all, he has super speed. hes superman!

sounds like hes just lazy to me

he's not that fast. only like, a couple machs. In most of the comics/cartoons/whatever Superman does have limits, which is what makes the "why doesn't Superman just fix everythinghurr" so dumb

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Im so glad I told the BvS CineD thread about this thread because now everyones cross shitposting and it is glorious .

#whowillwin

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

--BvS is overall bad, with a few small good parts
--Snyder is overrated but not a completely terrible filmmaker
--Studio rushing and meddling, rooted in jealousy over the MCU's runaway success, probably contributed a lot to BvS's shittiness
--Suicide Squad really really wants to be Guardians of the Galaxy

none of these are controversial opinions. you want a controversial opinion? here you go:

Even though Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer was a bad movie, I think that depiction of Galactus was cooler in concept than some giant purple idiot with horns

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

AccountSupervisor posted:

Im so glad I told the BvS CineD thread about this thread because now everyones cross shitpostimg and it is glorious .

#whowillwin

everyone reading this thread already lost

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

if suicide squad can even be 1/10th as good as guardians it'll be a hit

Guardians of the Galaxy is my favorite Marvel movie to date

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's def the best one.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

boom boom boom posted:

The problem with that is we have no idea what kind of Superman he is at the end. His first superheroics ended with Superman murdering the bad guy, doe s that mean this Superman is OK with murder? I guess they answer that in BvS, but I at least didn't have a strong idea of the character at the end of Man of Steel.
Ehhh I'm willing to overlook Superman killing Zod because Zod outright says "the only way you're going to stop me from killing your precious humans is by killing me", and then straight up forces Superman to do it even as Superman begs him not to, and then Superman cries in anguish after he kills him. Like, it's not like Superman snapped Zod's neck and then stood over him with a smirk and a pithy one-liner, he's visibly distraught over what he had to do. That makes me think Superman is opposed to murder, but will do it if he has no other choice (and he won't enjoy it).

Granted BvS undoes this by having him be a brooding, angry rear end in a top hat, but I'm just talking about MoS in a vacuum here.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

boom boom boom posted:

he's not that fast. only like, a couple machs. In most of the comics/cartoons/whatever Superman does have limits, which is what makes the "why doesn't Superman just fix everythinghurr" so dumb

nuh uh, superman is way faster than that. in the movies he can travel faster than light and reverse time! the comics are even worse, he can hold his breath and fly between solar systems and poo poo.

cartoon superman is weakest, but he still was even with the flash in a foot race.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Even though Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer was a bad movie, I think that depiction of Galactus was cooler in concept than some giant purple idiot with horns

Galactus is partially conceptual, he looks different to different civilizations. He looks like a giant guy with a giant hat because that's what Celstials look like, and humanity has a racial memory of Celestials messing with human evolution. So that's basically the image of unknowable, unstoppable space gods to us.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Xenomrph posted:

Ehhh I'm willing to overlook Superman killing Zod because Zod outright says "the only way you're going to stop me from killing your precious humans is by killing me"

Yeah, it's a shame Superman couldn't figure out a way around that. I mean, it's not like he's Superman

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, it's a shame Superman couldn't figure out a way around that. I mean, it's not like he's Superman

he needed a foil S to throw around him

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Rutibex posted:

nuh uh, superman is way faster than that. in the movies he can travel faster than light and reverse time! the comics are even worse, he can hold his breath and fly between solar systems and poo poo.

cartoon superman is weakest, but he still was even with the flash in a foot race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

also I literally don't give a single poo poo about the comics. they could rewrite superman's entire backstory and make batman go back in time and eat his own parents, I don't care, as long as it makes for a thought-provoking or entertaining movie, which BvS was neither

pre-movie comic book versions of Guardians of the Galaxy are nothing like how they're depicted in the movie, but nobody gives a poo poo because the movie is good. it is a good movie regardless of whether you only read comics, or you only watch movies, or you're a world-class athlete.

• Locked thread