Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If it gets on Steam then modding its incredible array of tedious mechanics would be trivial.

I'm all for this.

Same, though I already took care of some of that via small code injections.

Edit: Then going for those obscure titles would actually be worth doing, because there'd be achievements tied to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Neurion posted:

Same, though I already took care of some of that via small code injections.

Edit: Then going for those obscure titles would actually be worth doing, because there'd be achievements tied to them.

It's gonna end up on steam before I finish my all titles run, that's how things work for me.

Only another year of off and on play and I should be almost there! I've unlocked 93% of the music. :shepicide:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Neurion posted:

Hobyrim will never not be the most powerful character.

In the PSX version he just has to make due with having completely insane accuracy with status effect spells. His class in that version should be Sculptor because he can petrify things like it's NBD.

Until you have someone use Snapdragon and you give the resulting weapon to a caster with Starion, anyways. :science:

If it gets on Steam then modding its incredible array of tedious mechanics would be trivial.

I'm all for this.

I'd buy this on Steam in a heartbeat because those hacks would exist day one and the game would be so much better for it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm all for this.

Disgaea showed up on it and even though that was a mess I still hope the rest come along as well. Also seeing an SRPG on there makes me hopeful this gets added.

Who knows, maybe Tactics would be on there too. It's all just hoping for the best after all.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Can you even Snapdragon in the PSP version?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Yes, but you need to get the cursed weapon drops from the Palace of the Dead and gently caress all that effort when you can just give Hobyrim two light-attuned katanas and go ham on everything.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Neurion posted:

Yes, but you need to get the cursed weapon drops from the Palace of the Dead and gently caress all that effort when you can just give Hobyrim two light-attuned katanas and go ham on everything.

Or two earth or water katanas (none of which are that hard to get), since Ninjitsu is just about ready to be a legitimate (superior even) option right about that time.*

*assuming you picked up the level 2 versions of Ninjitsu in the fortress levels.

Granted, that's all academic to me since my Hobyrim is a crossbow wielding rogue :downs:

Also, the new version of Snapdragon has issues. It's still potentially powerful (even over-powered) but you REALLY have to work hard to get it that strong. It's far more effort than it's really worth. Though spell casters will benefit from it pretty well though at base strength.

Also, forgot to mention....

I'm glad to see this lp up and running again. While I'm not playing the game anymore, I always enjoy geeking out about games that I'm actually knowledgeable in.

Maybe someday I'll finish the last few post game fights. I lost my willpower after I beat the 100 level dungeon the second time.

Also a Steam version would be just amazing. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

mauman fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 9, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Dreaming of A Steam Version, Let Us Play Tactics Ogre:LUCT (PSP)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Has there been any good rebalance / crafting correction mods for the PSP version?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

tithin posted:

Has there been any good rebalance / crafting correction mods for the PSP version?

If you've got CWCheat on your PSP, these two codes will fix some of the crafting woes:
_C1 Crafting success rate 100%
_L 0x201285B4 0x10000015
_L 0x2012860C 0x340200FF

And the minor code injection I wrote (overwrite two instructions with NOPs :v: ) to disable the crafting animation for faster crafting (still gotta do poo poo one-by-one, though):

_C1 No Crafting animation
_L 0x2088BBE8 0x00000000
_L 0x2088BC5C 0x00000000

Actually, use this one cuz I hosed up the addresses there:

_L 0x2008BBE8 0x00000000
_L 0x2008BC5C 0x00000000

Mind you, that last one was only tested on an emulator, so I'm not 100% sure it will work on an actual CFW PSP

Edit: I hosed up those addresses WOOOPS

Neurion fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 12, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Neurion posted:

And the minor code injection I wrote (overwrite two instructions with NOPs :v: ) to disable the crafting animation for faster crafting (still gotta do poo poo one-by-one, though):
_L 0x2088BBE8 0x00000000
_L 0x2088BC5C 0x00000000

Mind you, that last one was only tested on an emulator, so I'm not 100% sure it will work on an actual CFW PSP

!!!

I was looking for this for ages, never found any one who made it. Thank you. Next time I play TO I'll test this on my psp, see if it works ok there.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

victrix posted:

!!!

I was looking for this for ages, never found any one who made it. Thank you. Next time I play TO I'll test this on my psp, see if it works ok there.

Please let me know if it works so I can be properly proud and smug about it.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

So Helmet, since you just finished the fight against Brantyn, can we talk about the spoilerish special battle that can happen around this time of the game?

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Sure. Since you were nice enough to ask.

Helmet 10 Warehouse fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 11, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Neurion posted:

I can't find my drat psp :mad: It and my DS appear to have gone on a vacation together.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Neurion posted:

I tried it on my psp and it didn't work for me.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

Same, unfortunately.

Now, this is a bit more of a cheaty path, but if you have the raw materials for the finished product, these codes might help:

_C1 Can mix without needed mats
_L 0x201214f0 0x3411063

_C0 Materials don't drop when mixed
_L 0x2008B9C8 Ox10000003

you can use these to skip the intermediate steps when crafting items.
Tested on CFW psp.

akkristor fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 11, 2016

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

Figures. Oh well.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

OH gently caress ME now I know why they didn't work for you guys. I converted the addresses wrong when making the code. Please try this instead:

_L 0x2008BBE8 0x00000000
_L 0x2008BC5C 0x00000000

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Neurion posted:

OH gently caress ME now I know why they didn't work for you guys. I converted the addresses wrong when making the code. Please try this instead:

_L 0x2008BBE8 0x00000000
_L 0x2008BC5C 0x00000000

Works!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The world is a little better today :unsmith:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Great now I'm playing this again :mad:

and given my complete inability to pick the murder option, I think I'll be playing the chaos route a third time

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Great now I'm playing this again :mad:

and given my complete inability to pick the murder option, I think I'll be playing the chaos route a third time

It's a shame that a lot of people have this mentality. I personally think that Law has the best (or at least most interesting) story.

Plus Law gets some really neat characters.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Just for you, I'll go pro murder with the save with my sons name as Denam.. Maybe it's better to restart

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Just for you, I'll go pro murder with the save with my sons name as Denam.. Maybe it's better to restart

You won't regret it.

In the remake, Law got all of the awesome stuff. Chaos really got the shaft.

Neutral always sucked though....no change there :downs:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

mauman posted:

You won't regret it.

In the remake, Law got all of the awesome stuff. Chaos really got the shaft.

Neutral always sucked though....no change there :downs:

Neutral really is the worst, though you get a pretty good unique Cleric and the only unique character that is a Terror Knight sprite.

The best thing about Chaos is Chaos Vyce. He's so much better than Law Vyce. I'm thinking of the one who gets hung so I might be backwards in which case, Chaos is boring

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I like Law Vyce :(

For one thing he's not a gigantic dick

Though maybe that's the appeal.

And technically the cleric isn't unique. She's a semi-unique priest in the original. They got rid of the priest class but left her with old sprite.

Most lazy unique ever :downs:

Really, the best thing that Chaos brings is the necromancer, but Law just blows it out of the water with what it gives you.

mauman fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 19, 2016

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Glad to see this is still in progress! :)

I second the thoughts of porting this to Steam. I would buy it and play through it a millionth time.

Back when the only version I had access to was the SNES version, I saw the infamous scene in the first chapter and wondered what the heck was going on. I looked up a translation. Never went Law, even my first time through on the PSP version after that... It meant, anyway, that Arycelle(?) (Aloser) wouldn't join me, and she was one of two incredibly overpowered characters in that version.

That said, I'll probably never go Chaos in the PSP version again. Law is just so much better. It makes sense in a number of ways narrative wise, I suppose.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

waah posted:

Neutral really is the worst, though you get a pretty good unique Cleric and the only unique character that is a Terror Knight sprite.

The best thing about Chaos is Chaos Vyce. He's so much better than Law Vyce. I'm thinking of the one who gets hung so I might be backwards in which case, Chaos is boring

Yeah, that's the Vyce you get on the chaos route. Here's the video from when the lp got there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HRNEwldyZc
He's certainly an interesting character mix of petulant child obsessed with Denam and a grown adult with power ambitions and a willingness to kill for them.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

mauman posted:

I like Law Vyce :(

For one thing he's not a gigantic dick

Though maybe that's the appeal.

And technically the cleric isn't unique. She's a semi-unique priest in the original. They got rid of the priest class but left her with old sprite.

Most lazy unique ever :downs:

Really, the best thing that Chaos brings is the necromancer, but Law just blows it out of the water with what it gives you.

We talking the same character? The one I am talking about has story dialogue and revalations in the neutral path, makes an appearance in the Chaos path, and has special dialogue during a very long side quest.

Oelias

I'm not nearly as familiar with the original LUCT so I am not sure.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Yep, we're talking about the same character.

The only reason she's a "unique" now is that her class was removed from the remake.

She, like her brother are really just semi-uniques.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'd love to see this on Steam, I've always wanted to play it. I'm just not willing to buy a PSP!

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 58: The Hero

Well a lot has happen. The Dark Knights told Catiua that she is the daughter of the late Dynast-king so she went with them to their base deep in Bakram territory, Barnicia Castle. Word then got out about Catiua existence. In response Denam decided he was going to go rescue Catiua from the Dark Knights. To do this the army that we totally have but have never seen launched a diversionary attack on Bakram territory. While Denam and the Order of Goons fought their way to Barnicia Castle. When we arrived, we were able to drive off the Dark Knight including Lanselot Tartaros. After the battle Denam tried to convince Catiua to join us once again. But since his social skill are dependent on goon vote, he couldn't convince Catiua and she stabbed herself. All of you make a terrible brother.

With the rightful heir to Valeria now dead and really no better plan, our invasion of Bakram continued. Continently anyone of any importance at the time was in the Bakram capitol of Hiem. While we were sacking the city there was a insurrection in the Dark Knight ranks. A group of traitors lead by Barbas captured Tartaros and the rest of the Dark Knight's leadership. The traitors stole a plot item and then got hell out of town. Leaving Brantyn to face us without any support. Brantyn tried the whole "Join me and we can rule Valeria as uncle and nephew," spiel on Denam but it did not stop the inventible.

Click here or above for a larger image.
It's ours! It's all ours! For the most part, anyway.

Order of Goons

(Pictured: Denam Moore, Canopus, Gildas, Mirdyn, Arycelle, Hobyrim, Mreuva, Cistina, Cerya, Olivya, Sherri, and Cressida)

After defeating Brantyn Moore we have become the de facto rulers of Valeria. Putting an end to years of war and genocide. Now that we are in charge nothing bad will ever happen again. Right?

Dark Knights of Lodis

(Pictured: Lanselot Tartaros, Belxephon, and Volaq)

The Dark Knights came to Valeria seeking something. The game still hasn't been clear on that. All we know is that to get access to this thing they need a key. One key is dead and the other is a sword.

(Pictured: Barbas, Martym, and Andoras)

The three traitorous Dark Knights stole the sword, left Brantyn Moore to die, and are now heading to the Hanging Gardens. Once there they will do something villainous and bad. So I guess it is up to us to stop them? The three have been secretly working with Brantyn throughout the game to undermine their superiors in the Dark Knights. So they could get the prize, not for Lodis, but for themselves. However, they do not know that Tartaros and the others were able to escape after their betrayal.

The Dead

(Pictured: Catiua Pavel, Vyce Bozeck, Prancet Pavel, Dorgala Oberyth, Vernotta, Mannaflora, Brantyn Moore, Leundar Balbatos, Juda Ronwey, Ravness, Leonar, Dievold, Oelias, Xapan, Ozma, Oz, Xaebos, Bapal, Agares, Orba, Moldova, Brezen, Darza, Veldrei, Ramidos, Hektor, Cassandra, and Latimer)
(Not Pictured: All the uncool people who don't have a Warren Report entry. No one will ever remember them.)

RIP

The Alive and Maybe Forgotten

(Pictured: Warren, Nybeth, and Gnapp)

According to the Warren Report these people are still alive. Unless Warren died and wasn't able to update the Report about his own death.

Before we get started with the content, we have some mechanical stuff to talk about. In this update we will get a new sword but it comes with a terrible curse.

The curse of level check. If you compare our levels in the previous picture with the minimum level to equip censored, you can see we are underleveled. This sword is the game's way of saying that you should be around level 22 before riding the endgame ride. Or else you are going to have a bad time. Or a fun time if you are one of those weird people who like challenge in their games. So after this update their will be some grinding and sidequest. All while the plot waits patiently for us to finish. Like in every RPG's endgame.

Now it's time for something depressing.

Denam follows the man.

You know, just reflecting on the horrible cost of war and all the lives it destroys.

No. Nothing.

After that they head into an room with a nice window view.

Denam's attention is immediately drawn to the man in the chair.

Could it be!?

Oh... no...

Denam now is not the time to get distracted by something last seen in update 9.

Denam picks up and opens the music box. Click here for music.

As it plays the young woman finally stops bowing.

It also gets the man's attention.

The music plays for a bit then the box begins to break. Causing the music slow down and distort before suddenly stopping.

It couldn't... Is it really you?

Do you know this man?

I'm sorry. 'Twasn't right of me to pry.

No worry. But I must ask -

Wait, there's something you should see, m'lord.

The young woman walks over to the obvious sprite sitting on a bookshelf.

She hands Denam the sword.

This is the sword that Lanselot used when he fought with us back in the beginning of the game.

No doubt about it. It's him. But he is no longer the Lanselot we once knew... :smith:

At least his sword can continue the fight.

Next time: We finally find out why Hobyrim joined us. Don't expect anything happy and uplifting.

Warren Report

Klaire Halmorah

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Is this the same Lanselot that we last saw leisurely strolling out of a castle he was held captive in? Cause good lord that's something big happening off screen to break him like that if so.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

FoolyCharged posted:

Is this the same Lanselot that we last saw leisurely strolling out of a castle he was held captive in? Cause good lord that's something big happening off screen to break him like that if so.

No, that's also Lanselot.

That's literally the incident that started the game, confusing these two Lanselots.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Do not confuse Lanselot Tartar Sauce for Lanselot Hammy Ton.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know, it really fits this Denam that this is how we get a legendary holy sword. Not from some great quest or gift from a trusted ally, just the last valuable possession of a man who's a broken shell of his former self.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

No, that's also Lanselot.

That's literally the incident that started the game, confusing these two Lanselots.

My favorite part about the mixup is when another Ogre game reveals that for the Dark Knight, Lanselot isn't even his real name.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

PFlats posted:

My favorite part about the mixup is when another Ogre game reveals that for the Dark Knight, Lanselot isn't even his real name.

I know but Lanselot the Dark Knight is sucb an awesome character I wish we had another game following him around. Maybe one where you'd play again as Lodis and crush a resistance along side Balexphon and crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Vartan

"Don't worry, Denny-boy, my... chiseled physique will carry your dumb army for a chapter. No need to thank me, just remember my abs when you need laundry done."

Race: Winged
RT: 26 Move:5 Jump: 32/32
Magic: Elemental Missile
Weapons: Fists, Daggers, 1h Axes, generic Cudgels, 1h Bows, Crossbows, Thrown
Armor: Light
Support: Counterattack IV, Knockback IV, Strengthen IV, Fortify IV, Resistance II, Truestrike IV, Trueflight IV, Spellstrike II, Dodge IV, Sidestep IV, Spell Ward II, Constitution IV, Insight II, Expand Mind II, Channeling II
Other: Parry, Deflect, Overpower, Swiftfoot II, Wade II
Action: Huapango Winds, El Colas Winds
Special: N/A

The jump is a racial trait of winged men, and Vartan is winged men only. Yeah, it's technically a generic class, even if it really, really feels like Canopus's special class. Either way, Canopus having this class is what defines it to a large degree, as he's the only unique character who can be a Vartan and he joins extremely early to show off. His low RT, good stats, and access to finishing moves long before anyone else grinds up the ranks make him godlike compared to Denam and his new recruits.

The class does help. 5 move is one more than most classes, and the 32/32 jump means Canopus is flying around to wherever he needs to be, getting behind enemy lines by flying over a wall, flying onto the wall to get a good shot with a bow, stuff like that. It looks like a jack-of-all-trades given its wide equipment access and even a little magic on the side, and Canopus is badass enough to make it look like it can pull it off.

The two actions are a paired buff and debuff. Ignore the debuff because it can miss. El Colas Winds gives allies air-touched and truestrike, so it's quite good.

But not all is sunshine in paradise. The magic is very quickly abandoned as only missile spells is pointless for a skill slot, and Vartan doesn't get Spellcraft to keep it anywhere but a comedy routine. He still has MP so you can have dark mages steal it, if you're shifty. Canopus pulls off the 1h axes/1h bows split really well for most of the main game, but 1h bows give up right before elemental weapons. If there were even a token elemental 1h bow at like level 25 it'd be a different story, but having an nonelemental bow is really sad. Elements do a shitton for your physical damage. It does get full access to crossbows, but the 1h crossbows also give up right before elemental weapons, and anyone using bows has to ask why they're not an archer (Canopus makes a badass archer btw). The 1h axes keep going though.

Canopus can keep going with the axe/bow pair, using the bow for potshots and picking off weakened enemies and the axe for his real business, and using El Colas Winds for some support. Or you could go all-in with a flying melee guy backed by being Canopus, or a flying ranged guy with a 2h crossbow backed by being Canopus. Vartan doesn't have any real special tricks, though, and considering how powerful some other classes can get, it's kinda sad. Vartan doesn't quite adapt to endgame and postgame by not having super moves. Is it enough to be merely solid?

• Locked thread