Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Considering Chase has jumped right into Cup and been successful it's not like Kyle has been beating up on guys who will never make it to Cup

to be fair, though, most of Xfinity is not good enough to make it to Cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's like, a small field of cup drivers/development drivers in cup teams than a massive Nothing. the midfield is like, gone

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Did anyone even watch the race? I fell asleep before the Green Flag and woke up at 2 AM EST

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

well that's really just a semantic difference, "top series" is kind of arbitrary, after all. lots of Kyle's older Nationwide/Busch wins came against a grid that was far stronger than we have today

I guess the difference comes down to if the 2004-2007 Champ Car grid is worse than the current Xfinity grid. One of the great questions of our era imo

will power is really working hard to make that era look not totally garbage

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Alain Post posted:

it's like, a small field of cup drivers/development drivers in cup teams than a massive Nothing. the midfield is like, gone

I kinda always thought 3 national level touring series was a bit much, they should probably kill one tbh

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

be nice wicka posted:

will power is really working hard to make that era look not totally garbage

Justin Wilson did OK, then he lost his mind.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

I kinda always thought 3 national level touring series was a bit much, they should probably kill one tbh

I disagree. 3 national level touring series with distinct schedules, driver/sponsor pools, cost levels, rule packages, teams and media coverage are one thing.

3 national level touring series that race the same tracks at the same weekend, with the same drivers winning and with very similar rules packages is another, and is unsustainable.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Justin Wilson did OK, then he lost his mind.

i get it. because he died of head trauma

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I disagree. 3 national level touring series with distinct schedules, driver/sponsor pools, cost levels, rule packages, teams and media coverage are one thing.

3 national level touring series that race the same tracks at the same weekend, with the same drivers winning and with very similar rules packages is another, and is unsustainable.

bring back GNS being the east series and the trucks being the west series

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

if NASCAR could replicate the insanity of cup road course races every weekend they would drive all other sports out of business

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
does anyone remember the totally insane rumor in the mid-90s that NASCAR was going to eliminate Trucks AND GNS, split Winston Cup, and just make two top level NASCAR series, one on the east coast and one on the west coast

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I do, and simmed many a NR3 season on that premise.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 10, 2016

Harry J
Nov 8, 2004

LS-WHAT???!!!!????!!!!

VikingSkull posted:

better to not care IMO

Good advice in general.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

well that's really just a semantic difference, "top series" is kind of arbitrary, after all. lots of Kyle's older Nationwide/Busch wins came against a grid that was far stronger than we have today

I guess the difference comes down to if the 2004-2007 Champ Car grid is worse than the current Xfinity grid. One of the great questions of our era imo

The 1996-1999ish IRL Field trumps both.

There was a lot talent in the CCWS field honestly.

07 had Pagenaud, Power, Bourdais, Rahal and Wilson. Every one of those guys found success within the current form of the sport, and is still finding success to this day.

Anyways, I'll shut up about AOWR.

Alain Post posted:

does anyone remember the totally insane rumor in the mid-90s that NASCAR was going to eliminate Trucks AND GNS, split Winston Cup, and just make two top level NASCAR series, one on the east coast and one on the west coast

That would have been a good idea in retrospect.

I always felt it'd be best for NASCAR to buy up the complete rights to whatever is left of the Trans Am Series, merge it with XFS, and then have said series just run road courses.

Camaros, Chargers, Mustangs and perhaps something from Subaru/Toyota running at places like Mid Ohio would be awesome. Hell you can even use it as an excuse to open the sport up to new "foriegn" manufacturers.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

VikingSkull posted:

this is the post where I point out that drivers always used it as a test session, and also that we have historically low levels of Cup drivers in the lower series

it's like pointing to Chicago and saying violent crime is up worldwide..... yeah Kyle is winning everything but it's better than 10-20 Cup guys in the race like the 80's had

e- this was never an issue when Earnhardt or Stewart was winning every Daytona race (why not let the Patriots play for the NCAA title, right?) or when Mark Martin was doing it, the only reason people are butthurt is it's Kyle doing it

Man people bitched about Mark Martin doing it all the time.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

07 had Pagenaud, Power, Bourdais, Rahal and Wilson. Every one of those guys found success within the current form of the sport, and is still finding success to this day.

yeah, but if you exclude power, do any of those drivers come anywhere close to the level of harvick or busch?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Uncle Jam posted:

Martin and the other Cup level drivers only ever raced half the schedule at least individually. Busch usually runs 3/4 of the NXS schedule and had been running the same amount for trucks until a few years ago. Now it's just half for trucks.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Slickdrac posted:

Martin and the other Cup level drivers only ever raced half the schedule at least individually. Busch usually runs 3/4 of the NXS schedule and had been running the same amount for trucks until a few years ago. Now it's just half for trucks.

Martin and Burton were also beatable. I think they won only like 9 NXS races in 1997 between them and Bobby Labonte.

Jeff Gordon Buschwacked in 1999 and 2000 and, aside from winning Phoenix in '99 (a race he wasn't supposed to run) and Homestead in 2000 (his last NXS race), was unremarkable.

e2- Ok, he did better than I remembered. In 1999, Gordon finished:
-4th at Vegas behind Martin, Joe Nemechek (who never bothered me in NXS because he didn't do much in Cup), and Burton
-13th at Texas
-Blew up at Charlotte
-2nd to series regular Junyer at Michigan
-2nd to Michael Waltrip at Charlotte (same boat as Nemechek)
-Won Phoenix

2000:
-18th at Vegas
-Blew up at Texas
-4th at Charlotte behind Burton, Martin, and series regular Jeff Green
-7th at Michigan behind Todd Bodine, Mikey, both Burtons, Mike McLaughlin, and an unknown named Jimmie Johnson
-Won Homestead

e- Actually, isn't Kyle only going to run a handful of Truck races? His first appearance was Martinsville and I thought I heard it was only going to be a few.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 10, 2016

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

He's only running 6 truck races, fortunately.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

FuzzySkinner posted:

The 1996-1999ish IRL Field trumps both.

Anyways, I'll shut up about AOWR.

That would have been a good idea in retrospect.

I always felt it'd be best for NASCAR to buy up the complete rights to whatever is left of the Trans Am Series, merge it with XFS, and then have said series just run road courses.

Camaros, Chargers, Mustangs and perhaps something from Subaru/Toyota running at places like Mid Ohio would be awesome. Hell you can even use it as an excuse to open the sport up to new "foriegn" manufacturers.

Transam should be able to survive in and of itself. The transam series we have now is more comparable to ARCA dollar-wise.

Xfinity should be a semi-pro division, where drivers are learning the finer points of speedway racing yet reaching out to non-Cup markets as well.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The transam series we have now is more comparable to ARCA dollar-wise.

thats being very generous to trans-am

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Trans-Am is a glorified SCCA class in TYOOL 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Xfinity Heats debut this weekend. Normal qualifying sets the field, then it's basically the Gatorade Duels to determine starting positions for the A-Main.

Also, the two highest finishing NXS regulars in each heat become Dash 4 Cash eligible, and two heat wins in the course of a season clinch a Chase spot because we all know Kyle's gonna win one heat and the race itself.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.fox4news.com/news/120871197-story

I always imagine guys like the Duck Dynasty types to be aliens posing as southerners like Bubba Plumber from Squidbillies.

What an asshat.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.fox4news.com/news/120871197-story

I always imagine guys like the Duck Dynasty types to be aliens posing as southerners like Bubba Plumber from Squidbillies.

What an asshat.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

You still do.

E: To add re: bigot, I'm sure that contingent saying "If you don't like guns and Jesus, get out", would support the burning of gay people in the infield followed by the stoning of women who had abortions immediately after that prayer, all while shouting about what an oppressed minority they are.

Elitist Bitch fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 12, 2016

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FuzzySkinner posted:

So Grand-Am.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kinda.

Actually drat...I have to find it, but someone did a "NASCARS OF THE FUTURE" magazine cover and it was literally modern day DP's decked out with STP and Goodwrench stuff. Made in 1985 or so IIRC.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Xfinity race was worth watching almost just for Carl Edwards goofing off in the booth.

e:

daslog posted:

Did anyone even watch the race? I fell asleep before the Green Flag and woke up at 2 AM EST

Yeah, it was shaping up to be a good race and then Carl had tyre problems, Truex's team did whatever the gently caress they decided to do and then it was just Kyle at the front. Junior looked like he was going to cry at the end there.

Oh and a big wreck.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 12, 2016

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm not the biggest Jenna Fryer fan, but this actually makes me angry

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/04/13/duck-dynasty-stars-nascar-prayer-enrages-liberals.html?intcmp=hphz03

quote:

The Associated Press auto racing writer accused Brother Phil of pushing an agenda – and accused NASCAR of “clouding its image with politics.”

“There are Democrats who enjoy NASCAR,” writer Jenna Fryer sneered. “Jews and atheists and women, too.”

Yes Todd what WOULD a person that has covered the sport since 2001 know about NASCAR? loving moron.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Maybe the guy praying before the race should actually like say something about the race and not use it as a stage to show off his disgusting world view but that's just me.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i dont understand duck dynasty or why people watch it

that is my input in the convo

watched like 20 laps of the race last weekend then went and got a burger

ok cya pals

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There are some tracks where as the cars have gotten faster with more horsepower, the racing has declined. The obvious example is some of those cookie cutter 1.5 milers that sprang up in the late 90s that actually produced really close racing for a while.

Ironically, I don't think there ever really was super great racing at Texas because it's so loving fast that no matter what you do there's always going to be aero problems, so in terms of the race it was just a usual texas race, although there were some troubles getting around cars, but you really could if you wanted to. I think it was just not an amazing race due to two of the three contenders having troubles at the end.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
all this super great racing everyone talks about never existed

my entire lifetime, the NASCAR season has consisted of 75% nap inducing races, 20% good races, and 5% awesome race

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

all this super great racing everyone talks about never existed

my entire lifetime, the NASCAR season has consisted of 75% nap inducing races, 20% good races, and 5% awesome race

A good post.

To be fair though? The TV coverage did indeed make it very bearable to watch. Guys like Squier, Gold, Jenkins, Baker, Jarrett and BP were almost ARTISTS in keeping someone tuned in at times.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the ratio from 2008-2015 was far worse, IMO. The COT/high-spoiler G6es were awful, awful cars.

like I can take bad races if I at least think I'm going to get a good one every few weeks, yeah? the last season I watched completely, 2013 was just mind-numbing. every race was just so god drat awful.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Benny Parsons freakin ruled

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
watch the '89 Pepsi 400, that's one of the earliest Bob/Ned/Benny races and you can seriously feel the sparks start to fly.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alain Post posted:

the ratio from 2008-2015 was far worse, IMO. The COT/high-spoiler G6es were awful, awful cars.

like I can take bad races if I at least think I'm going to get a good one every few weeks, yeah? the last season I watched completely, 2013 was just mind-numbing. every race was just so god drat awful.

Yeah for sure. Current rules package is a step in the right direction for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

We've had more good then bad races this year imo. Texas was the only pretty boring one, but when has it ever been good?

• Locked thread