Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This UR Control list gets me going.
I might have to cave and buy Jaces :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Count Bleck posted:

Agreed.

I love John Carpenter's The Thing

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Shaheen Soorani is playing zero copies of Declaration in Stone in his Esper Dragons deck and called it bad outside of aggro decks in his tech.

there's a part of me that wants to agree with this. sorcery speed, lets your opponent cycle, idk, I'm just not that into it, especially when we've got so much other great removal right now. calling it bad is a stretch cause the exile is relevant but it's not as backbreaking as I originally thought

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I just noticed Jaces have actually been on a steady decline. Do youguys think they'll shoot back up after thisthis weekend or do you think they'll drop some more?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

You're surprised a deck that didn't lose much from rotation did ok?

If you think losing fetch lands isn't much you are an idiot.

Count Bleck posted:

I just noticed Jaces have actually been on a steady decline. Do youguys think they'll shoot back up after thisthis weekend or do you think they'll drop some more?

If jace has multiple top 8 finishes this weekend or has a strong day 2 showing it will, otherwise it will probably hold in the 50's due to modern and price memory.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sharzak posted:

there's a part of me that wants to agree with this. sorcery speed, lets your opponent cycle, idk, I'm just not that into it, especially when we've got so much other great removal right now. calling it bad is a stretch cause the exile is relevant but it's not as backbreaking as I originally thought
If you're aggressive you can punish people for cracking clues. That doesn't look like where the format is headed though, there are a bunch of people jamming Thraben Inspector and Tireless Tracker.

Count Bleck posted:

It's just gonna be in way fewer decks than it was pre-rotation where any deck could very easily splash it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Who knew Thing in the Ice would be so good against ramp.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The UR deck is fantastic.

e: fetches are a loss but shard manabases seem fairly doable as long as you're prepared to play Evolving Wilds.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

I have one for trade if you want it. :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The UR deck is fantastic.

e: fetches are a loss but shard manabases seem fairly doable as long as you're prepared to play Evolving Wilds.

I was actually testing a grindy Jund build yesterday and really as long as Evolving Wilds is a 4 of its not terrible.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
We didn't make it to Baltimore because of car issues but our Spirits deck wrecked two local FNMs and a IQ so I still think it's good. We'll see going forward.

Count Bleck posted:

I was actually testing a grindy Jund build yesterday and really as long as Evolving Wilds is a 4 of its not terrible.

Isn't the 9-0 guy from yesterday in Baltimore from Close Encounters? I could've sworn I've played against him there a few times.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

We didn't make it to Baltimore because of car issues but our Spirits deck wrecked two local FNMs and a IQ so I still think it's good. We'll see going forward.

Isn't the 9-0 guy from yesterday in Baltimore from Close Encounters? I could've sworn I've played against him there a few times.

What's his name? I haven't really been able to watch a whole lot.

Firmy Shoyombo
Apr 3, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Spirits deck

Wanna see that list. Are you playing Tower Geist in Standard?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I would really like to see this list also.

Tempo decks are my favorite, and I assume that is the route you went.
Hopefully you are main decking essence flux with all of the spot removal flying around.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

GoutPatrol posted:

Who knew Thing in the Ice would be so good against ramp.

His opponent had ulamog mana and threw it away to get a worse card from his deck in the face of a bounce effect that also blanked the world breaker he fetched staring him in the face on the board. I've seen worse throws, but not many.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

:frogsiren: Fall of the Titans! :frogsiren:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the U/R deck is pretty cool

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

suicidesteve posted:

:frogsiren: Fall of the Titans! :frogsiren:

Oh, yeah. That card is ridonco. And I'm so happy Goggles is seeing play. That was my favorite card from Origins. :swoon:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Funny how Jim Davis plays at a normal pace when he's down a game.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Should DQ Jim Davis for slow play IMO. It's been really egregious.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

What's his name? I haven't really been able to watch a whole lot.

Blake.

Firmy Shoyombo posted:

Wanna see that list. Are you playing Tower Geist in Standard?

No but we thought about it haha. It's bad.

List:

5 Island
9 Plains
3 Evolving Wilds
4 Prairie Stream
4 Port Town
2 Ojutai's Command
2 Stasis Snare
2 Declaration in Stone
4 Always Watching
3 Dragonlord Ojutai
3 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4 Spectral Shepherd
4 Bygone Bishop
4 Rattlechains
4 Topplegeist
3 Negate
SB: 1 Negate
SB: 4 Surge of Righteousness
SB: 1 Stasis Snare
SB: 2 Dispel
SB: 4 Reflector Mage
SB: 1 Hidden Dragonslayer
SB: 2 Declaration in Stone

sarmhan posted:

He's a giant douchebag.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

sarmhan posted:

That match would have easily been a tie if he hadn't picked up the pace towards the end of game 1. Even playing at an almost normal speed they were under 2 minutes.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

List:

5 Island
9 Plains
3 Evolving Wilds
4 Prairie Stream
4 Port Town
2 Ojutai's Command
2 Stasis Snare
2 Declaration in Stone
4 Always Watching
3 Dragonlord Ojutai
3 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4 Spectral Shepherd
4 Bygone Bishop
4 Rattlechains
4 Topplegeist
3 Negate
SB: 1 Negate
SB: 4 Surge of Righteousness
SB: 1 Stasis Snare
SB: 2 Dispel
SB: 4 Reflector Mage
SB: 1 Hidden Dragonslayer
SB: 2 Declaration in Stone

This is extremely my poo poo

How's Topplegeist though? Is it just necessary as a one drop? Seems kind of unreliable.

Bummer to see Anderson's UR Control lose to a stupid CoCo deck. I hate CoCo decks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I didn't really peg Spectral Shepherd for a constructed card, has it been good? I guess it's pretty cool when you have a Rattlechains out and can hold up its ability and your spirits.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oh yeah, he plays at CC all the time. Good for him. What's he on?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

I didn't really peg Spectral Shepherd for a constructed card, has it been good? I guess it's pretty cool when you have a Rattlechains out and can hold up its ability and your spirits.

Plus you can reactivate bolster on Anafenza, proc your Topplegeist again, dodge removal, investigate again with Bygone Bishop.... seems kinda awesome.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I'd also love to see the list for the u/b demonic pact deck. I tried it before ogw came out and it seemed really really bad back then. I guess not having to face rhinos makes your life a bit easier but the prevalence of tks and sideboard transgresses makes me skeptical.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Wurzag posted:

I'd also love to see the list for the u/b demonic pact deck. I tried it before ogw came out and it seemed really really bad back then. I guess not having to face rhinos makes your life a bit easier but the prevalence of tks and sideboard transgresses makes me skeptical.

I'm pretty sure this was the list: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-04-16-ub-pact/

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Wurzag posted:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-04-16-ub-pact/

I've changed the removal numbers around a bit but the core is about the same. Oath gives you Crush which is an absolute all-star. Click my post history in this thread for more info

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

That match would have easily been a tie if he hadn't picked up the pace towards the end of game 1. Even playing at an almost normal speed they were under 2 minutes.

Dude loves going up a game and being guaranteed 1-0 or 1-1 in his matches by slow playing. He always picks up the pace when he drops a game.

mcmagic posted:

He's a giant douchebag.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

stinkles1112 posted:

This is extremely my poo poo

How's Topplegeist though? Is it just necessary as a one drop? Seems kind of unreliable.

Bummer to see Anderson's UR Control lose to a stupid CoCo deck. I hate CoCo decks.

It's OK. It's definitely not amazing since it's just so hard to set up delirium. It's very good in some cases though where you just cast it as a combat trick to tap down their world breaker or command it back. It's probably the worst creature in the deck... We're pretty low on good Spirits.

Count Bleck posted:

Oh yeah, he plays at CC all the time. Good for him. What's he on?

No idea. Looks like he's a lock for top 8 though. 2nd place after 13 rounds.

It's great. If you can uptap with it you just can't lose to one for one removal the rest of the game.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 10, 2016

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Surprised there is no love for reflector mage in the U/W spirit deck.
Did you try play testing him?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DangerDongs posted:

Surprised there is no love for reflector mage in the U/W spirit deck.
Did you try play testing him?

4 of in the board. It comes in against 75% of decks.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Then why not maindeck it and board it out for the 25% of decks its not for?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Fallorn posted:

Then why not maindeck it and board it out for the 25% of decks its not for?

Our thought was that it takes away from our flyers strategy that people haven't been ready for. The 3 CMC spirits and Topplegeist aren't great once they know they are coming and can play around them.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Yeah I feel like it's just a strict upgrade from Topplegeist

Or if you wanna stick with flyers, swap Topplegeist for Thunderclap Wyvern

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

stinkles1112 posted:

Yeah I feel like it's just a strict upgrade from Topplegeist

Or if you wanna stick with flyers, swap Topplegeist for Thunderclap Wyvern

We tried this too. The curve is too high that way. You need the mana for bouncing shepherd or to hold up for counterspells and flash spirits. As far as Wyvern goes, we aren't in the market for 4 drops.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Yeah I actually looked over the list again after posting that and can easily see how you came to that conclusion.

Also Essence Flux seems like a great board card

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

stinkles1112 posted:

Yeah I actually looked over the list again after posting that and can easily see how you came to that conclusion.

Also Essence Flux seems like a great board card

It was in our first list but we cut it for the Negates. It's too narrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
How are these human decks doing so well? Is no one playing any board wipes like Languish, Tendrils, Radiant Flames, etc?

e: the deck is a lot slower than Atarka Red and Atarka Red was getting hated out last season - how is that not translating to this?

• Locked thread