Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Holy poo poo a Po' Folks reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

they should just go full rotoscope imo

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ArcherFX/status/718307412537700353

They made the gif so I didn't have to.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Caught up with this and what a fantastic pair of episodes to kick off the season. I'm excited to see where this goes! It's also amazing to see how much the animation has improved. It's a small thing but they couldn't have done the spinning chair joke in season 2. Great job all around, well done everyone.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
What about a gif of all of them spinning (Milton included)?

One of the best eps in ages. I haven't laughed that hard in a good while. "Some of history's greatest detectives were on the spectrum!"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sesq posted:

Jesus Christ a Po Folks reference. I haven't been there since the '80s. I didn't even know it was a chain. Looks like they've only got 8 locations, 7 of them in Florida.

Is the 8th in Dothan, Alabama or did that one shut down?

gently caress Dothan, Alabama.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Man, was that episode great. The first one was good, but it was more dedicated to setting up the premise of this season. Now we're hitting the ground running.

Good to see the "Mulatto Butts" ringtone make a comeback.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Oh god, the not-voicemail joke was one of those things where I just kept laughing harder and harder as it went on and on and I couldn't breathe and now I'm dead. Thanks Archer for literally killing me.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The fine detail in the animation of Cyril cleaning his glasses pleased me greatly. I'm not sure I ever saw someone do that in a cartoon before.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

HopperUK posted:

The fine detail in the animation of Cyril cleaning his glasses pleased me greatly. I'm not sure I ever saw someone do that in a cartoon before.
They've got a lot of money to work with this season and the animation has improved as a result. Apparently, it's pretty hard to pull off something like the gang spinning around in chairs.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Are there any good malory drinking loops out there? I need a new avatar.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

cool now i just need to get it made thanks

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Veskit posted:

cool now i just need to get it made thanks

I recomend the accompanying title of "I'm going into stasis".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

He's also good at kicking people's asses while drunk. Honestly, he was probably a little bit drunk while beating up those bikers.

There's two things that Archer has been shown as being consistently good at: One of them is continuing to function after having consumed enough alcohol to kill a herd of elephants, and the other is kicking the poo poo out of a ridiculous number of opponents, often while still carrying on a conversation.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

There's two things that Archer has been shown as being consistently good at: One of them is continuing to function after having consumed enough alcohol to kill a herd of elephants, and the other is kicking the poo poo out of a ridiculous number of opponents, often while still carrying on a conversation.

Let's not forget his sometimes cripplingly specific areas of expertise. He may not know much about a lot of stuff, but then we see that he's able to convert increasingly obscure nautical units of measure in his head instantaneously, and he also knows that the word for a female chauffeur is chauffeuse. I bet he also knows that a female peacock is actually a peahen and that the gender-neutral term for the bird is peafowl. He'll follow that up with a hilariously and possibly violent misunderstanding of a pretty common social cue.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tarlibone posted:

Let's not forget his sometimes cripplingly specific areas of expertise. He may not know much about a lot of stuff, but then we see that he's able to convert increasingly obscure nautical units of measure in his head instantaneously, and he also knows that the word for a female chauffeur is chauffeuse. I bet he also knows that a female peacock is actually a peahen and that the gender-neutral term for the bird is peafowl. He'll follow that up with a hilariously and possibly violent misunderstanding of a pretty common social cue.

My theory, and I’m serious, is that he’s got some rare kind of pervasive developmental disorder. Or even undiagnosed atypical autism

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TMMadman posted:

My theory, and I’m serious, is that he’s got some rare kind of pervasive developmental disorder. Or even undiagnosed atypical autism

You're not alone; it's been talked about a lot in these threads.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

TMMadman posted:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
e; ^gently caress you.

Archer: I'm stacking rocks in descending order, because i find repetitive behavior so calming.

*Literally has stack of rocks nearby*

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Kesper North posted:

You're not alone; it's been talked about a lot in these threads.

Whoosh :)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Y-Hat posted:

Apparently, it's pretty hard to pull off something like the gang spinning around in chairs.

I studied a lot of animation and the whole chair spinning blew my mind immensely.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Their car chases are outstanding too. I want an Archer GTA style game where you go on missions and health packs are cocktails.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Elentor posted:

I studied a lot of animation and the whole chair spinning blew my mind immensely.

In layman's terms, could you tell us why that specific scene is so difficult? Like, it looks difficult to pull off, but I can't quite put my finger on why. Does it have to do with representing 3D motion in a 2D medium?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

swickles posted:

In layman's terms, could you tell us why that specific scene is so difficult? Like, it looks difficult to pull off, but I can't quite put my finger on why. Does it have to do with representing 3D motion in a 2D medium?

Yes. you'd need a unique frame for each frame of animation that you might not ever get to reuse. In addition, unless you want it to look wildly off model it's pretty much all key frames, so no shopping it out to Korea or whomever. Hell, to get it to look right you'd probably also need to use additional frames of animation that you normally wouldn't.

Although from what I understand Archer uses more of a puppeteer rig than traditional animation, so the challenges are different.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kwyndig posted:

Yes. you'd need a unique frame for each frame of animation that you might not ever get to reuse. In addition, unless you want it to look wildly off model it's pretty much all key frames, so no shopping it out to Korea or whomever. Hell, to get it to look right you'd probably also need to use additional frames of animation that you normally wouldn't.

Although from what I understand Archer uses more of a puppeteer rig than traditional animation, so the challenges are different.

Spinning a string puppet 360* even once is really rough, so...

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

swickles posted:

Basically it almost requires traditional hand drawn animation from a show that uses a digital puppet technique. Short answer: A LOT more drawings and morphing of drawing assets than a normal turn.

The characters are typically drawn in Full, 3QT, semi-Full, semi-Pro (totally Pro looks flat like the picture on a coin and the semi-full lets us cheat turns here), and 3QT over the shoulder (maybe a full OTS). For most characters the number of bodies to go all the way from facing right to facing left would be 6 (Pro, 3QT Full, Full flipped, 3QT flipped, Pro Flipped). Done quickly (and in a medium shot) like we basically always do that is probably fine and your brain fills in the missing information. Done very slowly, that is poppy as hell. You can "see" the body change position abruptly. The move requires several more body drawings / manipulating and morphing between the Key existing body positions to sell the rotation to your eye. Also because we're drawing a lot of angles we wouldn't typically do it is a challenge to stay on model.

There's also the issue of translating 2d -> 3D. Not a huge problem for the style of this show, but it is sometimes hard to do because there are a lot of cheats used in characters that don't perfectly reflect a 3D character. Think of Micky's ears or Bart/Homer's hair in 2d vs 3d.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I also noticed how smooth that spinning chair animation was. The chair I assumed to be a spinning 3D model animated totally by computer, but Cheryl was not.

For an example of how this can look when you are cutting corners and not doing what the previous comments indicate, look at the Venture Bros. episode "Assisted Suicide." In the scene where Dr. Orpheus, Eros, and Thanatos encounter Rusty's id, a Greek and hyper-sexual boy version of Rusty Venture, there is a revolving bed with several women on it, all of whom are posing provocatively. But, the animation in this sequence is not great. Probably for budgetary reasons, the extra steps and frames of animation required to make the process look really good were skipped over. What results is an uneven and sometimes herky-jerky carousel of women. It's particularly bad from 0:08 - 0:22 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmxP4Is0DYg

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Ok, I think I get it now. Maybe to draw an analogy: when you record footage that is specifically for slow motion, you increase the frame rate to make it look smooth. So instead of 30 fps, you would record at 60 fps for half speed, or 120 fps for quarter speed. If you watch Mythbusters, they record explosions in thousands or more frames per second, and even then it looks jumpy as hell. So basically, to make it look smooth, since the motion was so slow you need a poo poo ton more frames than say the punches or slaps, because those are so quick, you can render them entirely in 2D. A slow motion like the spin creates some 3D motion, so you need a lot more frames to demonstrate that.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

swickles posted:

Ok, I think I get it now. Maybe to draw an analogy: when you record footage that is specifically for slow motion, you increase the frame rate to make it look smooth. So instead of 30 fps, you would record at 60 fps for half speed, or 120 fps for quarter speed. If you watch Mythbusters, they record explosions in thousands or more frames per second, and even then it looks jumpy as hell. So basically, to make it look smooth, since the motion was so slow you need a poo poo ton more frames than say the punches or slaps, because those are so quick, you can render them entirely in 2D. A slow motion like the spin creates some 3D motion, so you need a lot more frames to demonstrate that.

I'll defer to the authorities (or anyone with animation experience), but for what it's worth, that's what I think is going on, and why slow-moving things are hard to animate well anyway. Add to that the fact that these examples are revolving in 3D, and it's much harder. A slow-moving bullet is only observed at one basic angle most of the time. A subject spinning around on an axis requires a totally new drawing every single frame.

Another good example is Futurama. Many of their animation sequences, from spinning to crane shots to space ship movements, are done via computer using 3D models that are very close to the drawings they're based on. Also, while the animation generally runs at 12 FPS, those complex movement sequences look so buttery-smooth because they're rendered at 24 FPS, i.e. the standard cinema frame rate. It does make those sequences look different than the normally drawn ones, but the result is so pleasing that it generally doesn't bother the audience.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I'm overall really impressed with how the animation is lately. I've been watching season one and it's night and day. Facial animation in particular is great for selling little character moments. Like this little bit, everyone has something different going on:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The avalanche in that episode was pretty goddamn good too.

You watch the show and learn to expect static backgrounds with a few actors doing things, and then they do something like that and it's kind of a mind blower.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

when I read that season 6 and 7 would have a larger animation budget, I had no idea that it would mean that things like the avalanche or that one Archer-Lana sex scene would be possible. it's all for the better, even if the fluidity of the animation took a while to get used to

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
But why did someone have the idea to do that? It's not really exciting to spend all your animation budget on people sitting on slowly spinning chairs. Was that some sort of personal challenge?

It just seems like it's incredibly hard and most viewers probably wouldn't even realize that it's a problem at all.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Because it was very funny? I'm guessing the writers weren't thinking of the animation challenges when they wrote that bit.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
You're wearing out the bearings!

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Air is lava! posted:

But why did someone have the idea to do that? It's not really exciting to spend all your animation budget on people sitting on slowly spinning chairs. Was that some sort of personal challenge?

It just seems like it's incredibly hard and most viewers probably wouldn't even realize that it's a problem at all.

This is purely my uninformed speculation: It might be that the animation software they use was upgraded recently and now includes a plugin or feature that makes doing people sitting on slowly spinning chairs much easier than it was before.

Also it looked awesome and that's sometimes enough to justify spending the time and money on something.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I recomend the accompanying title of "I'm going into stasis".

Nothing worked better than the stand alone work crew tag but it was considered!!!!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Veskit posted:

Nothing worked better than the stand alone work crew tag but it was considered!!!!

Ultimately I think you made the right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That chair gag wrecked me and the group I watched the episode with. The spinning mailbot in particular got the loudest laugh I've ever had from the show. So stupid, so great.

• Locked thread