Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

February 1942, en route to the pacific.

Poor Surcouf. You were too gloriously dumb for this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

YeOldeButchere posted:

Wait, like some captains actually went "gently caress you sub and gently caress your torpedoes; all crew ramming speed motherfuckers! :sureboat: :sureboat:"?

Fun fact: The RMS Olympic, sister ship to the infamous Titanic, served as a troop transport during the First World War and is credited as the largest ship in history to sink a submarine. How, you might ask?

Take one guess. :black101:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Fun fact: The RMS Olympic, sister ship to the infamous Titanic, served as a troop transport during the First World War and is credited as the largest ship in history to sink a submarine. How, you might ask?

Take one guess. :black101:

That dazzle camo is super effective.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Never knew what hit 'em.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

YeOldeButchere posted:

Never knew what hit 'em.

Actually they did-apparently the sub was in the process of attempting to fire their torpedoes when they were spotted and the Olympic turned towards them. (Which, if anything, makes the story even more :black101:)

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is the Surcouf modeled in this game? Has a player ever managed to do something cool with it, like maybe beat the Tone in a gun duel?

GenHavoc went nuts with it in the submarine simulator boardgame.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Actually they did-apparently the sub was in the process of attempting to fire their torpedoes when they were spotted and the Olympic turned towards them. (Which, if anything, makes the story even more :black101:)

Was this after people had figured out that the Titanic would have survived* a head-on collision with the iceberg which would fill a few forward flotation areas but leave the majority of the flotation areas safe. Instead the Titanic hit the iceberg along the side, rupturing many flotation areas and causing a failure cascade. Getting hit head on with a torp would hurt but not instantly kill a Titanic class ship, at least compared to getting hit broadside.

*Either limped home or at least stayed afloat long enough for a proper evacuation

edit: also, did the Olympic fix the problem the Titanic had where the double hulls were not sealed at the top

Also, Grey, congratulations on the increased number of troops in the Hunter squad.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 10, 2016

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Just imagine standing on the bridge and seeing that thing bearing down on you.

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is the Surcouf modeled in this game? Has a player ever managed to do something cool with it, like maybe beat the Tone in a gun duel?

It's in Focus Pacific. I've never had much success with it, but that could very well be because I'm terrible rather than be a reflection of its usefulness.

srusnak102
Apr 13, 2015
How did they not see it coming is the question.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CannonFodder posted:

Was this after people had figured out that the Titanic would have survived* a head-on collision with the iceberg which would fill a few forward flotation areas but leave the majority of the flotation areas safe. Instead the Titanic hit the iceberg along the side, rupturing many flotation areas and causing a failure cascade. Getting hit head on with a torp would hurt but not instantly kill a Titanic class ship, at least compared to getting hit broadside.

Icebergs can't tear steel beams.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

srusnak102 posted:

How did they not see it coming is the question.

"drat, if only there was a direction we could go that big basterd couldnt follow"

In all seriousness, they did see it coming. They just weren't able to move fast enough to avoid it.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 10, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Surcouf has the problem that it's big, so easy to see on active sonar, and slow to submerge, which means it's in trouble if it gets seen on the surface

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The big boats just don't like sinking.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Ramming speed!

quote:

HMNZS Moa and Kiwi: Unable to penetrate the I-1's armour with their deck guns, the New Zealand minesweepers rammed and chased her in to shallow water, eventually forcing her to run aground on the reef at Kamimbo Bay, Guadalcanal

Saros fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 10, 2016

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

long live the trireme

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Our carriers run into a liner. Unsurprisingly, no shots are fired, but the Allies will know where the Kido Butai is.

We've occupied New Britain without a fight, and the Allies are bombing it.

Batavia should fall soon.

The new batteries go into action at Singapore. This is a nice day's shooting, and if we can keep this up, we can soften them up nicely.

The Swordfish is still prowling.

We see lots of bombers over Luganville – three waves of B-17's and the Liberators.

Not much more to comment on.

Are American subs getting dangerous? Perish the thought.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what that liner is, but those cruiser captains should have more ambition.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D

CannonFodder posted:

edit: also, did the Olympic fix the problem the Titanic had where the double hulls were not sealed at the top

iirc after the Titanic disaster the Olympic added a double hull that was absent from the Titanic and raised the bulkheads up to B Deck from E Deck.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Actually it was the Olympic that was sunk, the Titanic had been secretly replaced by the Olympic just prior to her maiden voyage and intentionally sunk by the White Star Line for the insurance!

This is a real conspiracy theory that people believe. :eng99:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

goatface posted:

I don't know what that liner is, but those cruiser captains should have more ambition.
In your daily dose of "the quirks of the WITP engine", the type/mission of the TF has as much to do with its combat performance as anything else.

'course, there is some basis in realism for this, as in the case of battleships being sent on a shore bombardment mission having a sea battle and then not having the correct type of shell loaded, but yeah, you're not going to see those cruisers pursue that lone undefended passenger liner because they're in an Air Combat TF.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

yup. and Air Combat TFs primary mission is to keep the carriers safe. So they will flee from even lone liners rather than give them a few volleys. Because Gunfire prevents them from disengaging due to it being kind of visible.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Slap a couple of long lances in the ocean.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Veloxyll posted:

yup. and Air Combat TFs primary mission is to keep the carriers safe. So they will flee from even lone liners rather than give them a few volleys. Because Gunfire prevents them from disengaging due to it being kind of visible.
Well then there should have been better recon. Keeping the carriers safe means making sure that enemy ships never get that close in the first place.

theamazingchris posted:

iirc after the Titanic disaster the Olympic added a double hull that was absent from the Titanic and raised the bulkheads up to B Deck from E Deck.
Thanks. I'm glad that improvements were made.

and then...

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Actually it was the Olympic that was sunk, the Titanic had been secretly replaced by the Olympic just prior to her maiden voyage and intentionally sunk by the White Star Line for the insurance!

:shepicide:

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 11, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I assume it was night if it was only spotted at 10k yards.

Still, destroyers full of the best torpedoes of the war, and they're refusing to fling a couple at what could be a juicy troopship.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The first sleep deprived update begins – the rest of the war will be fought on minimal sleep, which will be role-played as serous inter-service rivalries and incompetence amongst generals. Today is done on a nice 4 hours after two days with three hours between them. (7 hours in a three day period.)
Oh, and Luganville is bombed again.

In an experiment to conserve fuel, the Kiddo Butai is docked up – they get a hit on day one though.

They will have to deal with threats like this, but I'm sure they can survive.

I think we'll come out on top here anyway.

Its not like Falcons are the most scary attack planes anyway.....

The Kido Butai on the other hand, begins to sink the Royal Navy.

We hit the Wrong Enterprise – but I'll take it!

Boom!

While nice, I kind wish these were hitting the crusiers.

That's more like it!

And down she goes!

Today just gets better and better!

The artillery war in Singapore is now going our way – and can only get better as fresh troops arrive down the Mersing road.

We are unopposed here, but its still another base.

Oh yeah baby!

Things are coming up Grey!

SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!

We added four bases, worth nearly 100 points, we killed three hundred points worth of enemy ground troops and three ships. With more likely to come tomorrow.

This may be a fluke, but it feels drat good!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yessss, raid the gently caress out of Surabaya.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Today was a good day.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Proper Croctopus Spirit!

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My lucky ship.
:rip: Pensacola.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Grey Hunter posted:

We hit the Wrong Enterprise – but I'll take it!

I look forward to your unconditional surrender being signed on my lucky CV-6 at the end of the war :colbert:

(Nice cruiser kills, that always feels good)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grey Hunter posted:

the rest of the war will be fought on minimal sleep, which will be role-played as serous inter-service rivalries and incompetence amongst generals.
Ah yes, the Admiral Ozawa gambit

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Congrats Duckaerobics! You are the 2nd Lucky Ship casualty!

Edit:

Reminder: Just because your ship sunk doesn't mean you can't claim again, and claims are open until the LP ends/dies.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 11, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm going to regret asking this question but:
according to these nuts, why was performing the switch fundamental to committing insurance fraud?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Grey Hunter posted:

The first sleep deprived update begins – the rest of the war will be fought on minimal sleep, which will be role-played as serous inter-service rivalries and incompetence amongst generals. Today is done on a nice 4 hours after two days with three hours between them. (7 hours in a three day period.)

The absolute best parenting advice that was ever given to my wife and me when our first child was born was if it is at all practical: instead of taking turns within each night getting up with the baby, take turns for entire nights. That way, every other night you're guaranteed some uninterrupted sleep.

It worked wonders with our firstborn who was tough to get back to sleep. Our second kid is super easy to get back down at night, we were unprepared for that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pensacola nooooo!

You're supposed to survive the torpedo and being on fire for 12 hours, not die.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Omobono posted:

I'm going to regret asking this question but:
according to these nuts, why was performing the switch fundamental to committing insurance fraud?

Dont be absurd. Next you will ask why someone would make a giant hologram of the moon or make up native American culture*

To answer your question, the idea is that the Olympia had been damaged in a collision with another ship before the sinking which was blamed on the Olympia, thus White star,s insures refused to pay out.As such they would send the damaged Olympia out as the Titanic, allowing them to dispose of a ship too damaged to economically repair and get the insurance payment for a "brand new" ship.

Or some-such, its so loving stupid it hurts my head.

*Yes really

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"Yes, the print on the china says Olympic, and so do all the signs, it's just, uh, an unfortunate typo. Now let me guide you to your cabin, please don't mind the gaping hole in the billiard room or the buckled walls in the second class corridor, details like that won't matter to you soon enough." *wink*

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

The absolute best parenting advice that was ever given to my wife and me when our first child was born was if it is at all practical: instead of taking turns within each night getting up with the baby, take turns for entire nights. That way, every other night you're guaranteed some uninterrupted sleep.

It worked wonders with our firstborn who was tough to get back to sleep. Our second kid is super easy to get back down at night, we were unprepared for that.

We did this as well, with the understanding that if you just couldn't take it anymore to wake up the spouse and switch off.

The first 6 months are the hardest. After that it's all downhill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ikasuhito posted:

Dont be absurd. Next you will ask why someone would make a giant hologram of the moon or make up native American culture*

*Yes really

Is the answer to who started all three of these conspiracy theories "David Icke"?