Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

Don't you hate it when people pronounce this like a past-tense verb?

yeah I also like a pronounced D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

oh hey 72 new posts in the secfuck thread something big must have gone down

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

FopeDush posted:

oh hey 72 new posts in the secfuck thread something big must have gone down

Yeah, yer maw

tag check

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kalstrams posted:

:ssh: it was not too good if you knew russian
well i don't know what language it's in now so i don't know if it got worse or better

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

cheese-cube posted:

lol you're jelly af

anyway, the following ppl should have baud dudes tags now. if not then let me know.

√ anthonypants
√ Wiggly Wayne DDS
√ PCjr sidecar
√ Subjunctive
√ uninterrupted
√ spankmeister
√ apseudonym
√ Parallel Paraplegic
√ kalstrams
√ Trabisnikof

yes i'm using sqrt as a tick lifehack. if your av looks wonky hit up an admin,

I'd like one too pls :puppyeyes:

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

spankmeister posted:

yeah I also like a pronounced D.

text me

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
drat, no tag as of yet. :(

need to save up some money and put it in a "tag fund"

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

another geolocation secfuck leading to people being harassed by idiots because "why would someone think the map marker our database provides is accurate"

quote:

Earlier this week, I reached Thomas Mather, a co-founder of MaxMind, via email. I told him Joyce Taylors story, and how Id discovered MaxMinds involvement in the IP mapping part of it. I asked him if he knew anything about the default coordinates that were placing unidentified IP addresses on the Taylors property.

Mather told me that the default location in Kansas was chosen over ten years ago when the company was started.

He continued: At that time, we picked a latitude and longitude that was in the center of the country, and it didnt occur to us that people would use the database to attempt to locate people down to a household level. We have always advertised the database as determining the location down to a city or zip code level. To my knowledge, we have never claimed that our database could be used to locate a household.

But people do use it that way. Five thousand companies draw information from MaxMinds database. And most casual internet users dont know anything about IP mapping defaultsthey just know that when a website tells them that their scammer lives in Potwin, Kansas, they get in the car and go.

also lol at the poor son of a bitch who seems to be where aws us-east gets geocoded to and had cops search his home

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Westie posted:

drat, no tag as of yet. :(

need to save up some money and put it in a "tag fund"

pretty sure I did yours. the receipt only lists 6 names, though it shows the quantity as 10, so idk what's going on there. zdr?

but now I wonder if I hosed it up and just didn't put the tag in like a goddamn moron.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

hmm, should we use the coordinates of the Geographic Center of the Contiguous United States Park?

nope, gently caress it, round to the nearest integers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pseudorandom name posted:

hmm, should we use the coordinates of the Geographic Center of the Contiguous United States Park?

nope, gently caress it, round to the nearest integers.

not even the nearest integers, if you check the numbers

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

tag check

e: not yet i guess

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Storysmith posted:

another geolocation secfuck leading to people being harassed by idiots because "why would someone think the map marker our database provides is accurate"

also lol at the poor son of a bitch who seems to be where aws us-east gets geocoded to and had cops search his home

lmao if you're so mad about being scammed that you get in your car and drive several hours to beat up your scammer.

quote:

every time MaxMinds database has been queried about the location of an IP address in the United States it cant identify, it has spit out the default location of a spot two hours away from the geographic center of the country

they couldn't tell the user it couldn't be identified. how hard is it to just have it return that

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

update on that TP-Link smart switch: I cracked it open because I do that to things and inside it's sporting a 400Mhz SoC designed for home routers complete with onboard 4-port fast ethernet switch and USB port (both not wired to anything of course). I think DD-WRT has support for this chipset.

there's also a suspicious tiny 5 pin connector which might be a serial port. this thing is probably running linux. of course it loving is.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Storysmith posted:

i hope those farmers sue maxmind into the loving ground

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

b0red posted:

lmao if you're so mad about being scammed that you get in your car and drive several hours to beat up your scammer.

they couldn't tell the user it couldn't be identified. how hard is it to just have it return that

i've used it a lot and if you actually look at the response it gives back it DOES say that they could only be identified to the country level, and then gives the coords of the country.

it's just that most applications loving ignore that and just plug whatever coords it gets directly into whatever they're doing and pretend like that's 100% accurate because developers are lazy fucks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also thanks for the gang tag btw :3:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
tag check

ed - thanks subj

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

tag check

ed - thanks subj

just look at the post where you requested it

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004
tag check

and this is my first post in this one so there

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

RZA Encryption posted:

:effort:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RZA Encryption posted:

tag check

e- gently caress yeah thanks bruh

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

i hope those farmers sue maxmind into the loving ground

same but you and choking

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

IDK how long it takes to clear whatever cache of things and stuff, but:

uncurable mlady
fishmech
Crusader
jre
Captain Foo
Storysmith
Westie
Mad Wack
Testiclops
BeOSPOS

should all be set.

:woop:

thanks subj

just gotta wait for the cache to clear

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
https://wicg.github.io/webusb/

quote:

Abstract

This document describes an API for direct access to Universal Serial Bus devices from web pages.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

tag check

e- gently caress yeah thanks bruh

!!

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

good idea

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
i forgot i never shared this

im very pleased with the quality and aesthetics of my password, and would recommend this service to others.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

i forgot i never shared this

im very pleased with the quality and aesthetics of my password, and would recommend this service to others.

don't encourage this poo poo with real actual money though

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is this a secfuck or just a lomarf?

unadulterated station next to it:

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

little of column A, little of column B

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

https://twitter.com/martijn_grooten/status/718933034821505024

come on now youll lose the a in your apt designation if you keep doing this

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

why burn good exploits when known old ones will suffice???

seems smart to me but maybe I misunderstood

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

yeah :airquote: APT's :airquote: often don't need to use custom bespoke 0days when their targets are companies with poor patching habits so if you can get in with a 4 year old exploit then why not? saves you from exposing your 0days for softer targets

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
It's a good thing no one can read postal barcode for zip+4.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

quote:

He continued: At that time, we picked a latitude and longitude that was in the center of the country, and it didnt occur to us that people would use the database to attempt to locate people down to a household level. We have always advertised the database as determining the location down to a city or zip code level. To my knowledge, we have never claimed that our database could be used to locate a household.

oh that's okay, so the hundreds of millions of bad guys aren't at that specific household, they're just roughly in the same zip code

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BeOSPOS posted:

:woop:

thanks subj

just gotta wait for the cache to clear

I think there's a problem with the last 4 on that list, I'll have to mail support or something :effort:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Subjunctive posted:

I think there's a problem with the last 4 on that list, I'll have to mail support or something :effort:

Just post in QCS about the tags not showing up in opera 8

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

can we have a baud ladies tag too

tag check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NICE