Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Captian Nuke posted:

Fun fact, evidence obtained illegally by a private citizen is absolutely admissible in court so long as the private investigator wasn't acting directly on behalf of or at the direction of the police.

Huh. Yeah they should definitely go to the police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:

Captian Nuke posted:

Fun fact, evidence obtained illegally by a private citizen is absolutely admissible in court so long as the private investigator wasn't acting directly on behalf of or at the direction of the police.

Yup, this is exactly the sort of situation that the courts foresaw. Sleuth kids and PI's.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Bobatron posted:

Yup, this is exactly the sort of situation that the courts foresaw. Sleuth kids and PI's.

While it is important to note that evidence obtained by citizens acting alone is admissable to the trial whether there were legal or illegal means used, it doesn't protect the citizens from the legal consequences. In other words trespassing, theft, coercion etc. is still illegal and will be punished by law.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Junkozeyne posted:

While it is important to note that evidence obtained by citizens acting alone is admissable to the trial whether there were legal or illegal means used, it doesn't protect the citizens from the legal consequences. In other words trespassing, theft, coercion etc. is still illegal and will be punished by law.

And if the Prescotts have even a fraction of the influence over the cops that they're made out to have, the stuff that truly incriminates Nathan will vanish.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

No one is mentioning that Max isn't oblivious about Warren's maxcrush!!!!!! She knows!!!!

I guess Max finally caught on after the twentieth or so time he texted all excited about the movies.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

And if the Prescotts have even a fraction of the influence over the cops that they're made out to have, the stuff that truly incriminates Nathan will vanish.

But we have a friend! That Officer Berry guy from the diner! He can be our Commissioner Gordon, the one good cop in this city.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 5, 2016

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Junkozeyne posted:

although it's plausible that if that illegally obtained evidence leads to a rape or murder conviction, the justice system might be inclined towards a measure of lenience.

lol anyway I'm glad we led Warren beat Nathan. It was horrible, but uh, Nathan has repeatedly threatened Max, and drugged/possibly raped multiple women. plus, as previously mentioned, Chloe gets to DUAL-WIELD. granted, I'm pretty sure that having the Tales from the Borderlands LP running at the same time may have influenced our collective decision-making here.
This is a pretty neat investigation scene, putting the pieces together in a very visual way. When Max got those various pieces of evidence, I didn't know how it all was going to fit together. This is very clever game design.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

So am i the only one who doesn't like that Frank is humanized through his really creepy and possibly illegal (I don't remember how old Rachel is supposed to be) relationship with Rachel? It really rubs me the wrong way.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
There is one thing that really bothers me about that whole frank on the beach scene. While I appreciate how detailed and how many little choices can be made, looking over the flow chart, not a lot of them matter. Okay wait two things. The whole scene is still pretty cool and I like it even if the flow chart doesn't really diverge as much as I expected.

The big thing is that after Panzers first run of it, resulting in Frank and his dogs death is that we had the codes we needed. So mission accomplished right? Panzer said that technically works for a solution, and could have just left then and there with the codes. Well why couldn't we have rewound time then and then just not dealt with frank at all? Or just hand him his money and say bye because we already had the codes? This has already been established as a perfectly good outcome too. This is how we got the keys to Franks RV. He put the keys out, we stole them in front of his face and then rewound and never even talked to him but still had the keys. So logically I would expect a solution to the beach scene to be to shoot frank, steal his code sheet, and then rewind and gently caress off with out even needing to talk to him.

I understand why the game doesn't do this though. It's a cool scene and worth seeing and probably took some effort to even put in the game. But the game as already established the premise of getting what you need from a scene and rewinding and not needing to re-engage the scene. And with that in mind they make a kind of lame workaround for my gripe here. Chloe took the code paper. Chloe has it, so presumably when we rewind it's not protected by the Max bubble of plot item retention and would end up back on Frank. But if that's the games answer then my response is then to let Chloe shoot frank steal the paper and then get a prompt to have Max say 'Yo, Chloe, give me the paper and take a deep breath, you didn't shoot anyone, this never happened, rewiiiiiiind!' and then when they're chilling in Chole's truck before hand have Max pull out the code paper, tell Chloe she got it, don't mention she shot Frank for it, and tell her to be cool and just go pay frank off, if she had the cash. Boom, problem solved.

I don't know, it's a big deal about a minor thing here, but it is just to me that the games established a perfectly viable solution to this problem earlier (stealing Franks RV keys) and doesn't let you use that solution here is kind of a dick move in my opinion. Because it's a perfectly good solution that doesn't lead to violence (at least not after rewinding) and looking at the flow char there a LOT of outcomes that involve leaving with Frank wounded or dead. It feels like the game really wants to force you into either carefully navigating the conversation multiple times or railroad you into hurting Frank when there is a totally viable other solution.

drifterofhell
Nov 5, 2009
That actually bugged me too, and the only thing I can think of is Chloe grabbed the codes and ran off to the car and Max had to rewind right then and there for there to be enough time to undo it?

But man that's some weak tea at best.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Jade Star posted:

I don't know, it's a big deal about a minor thing here, but it is just to me that the games established a perfectly viable solution to this problem earlier (stealing Franks RV keys) and doesn't let you use that solution here is kind of a dick move in my opinion. Because it's a perfectly good solution that doesn't lead to violence (at least not after rewinding) and looking at the flow char there a LOT of outcomes that involve leaving with Frank wounded or dead. It feels like the game really wants to force you into either carefully navigating the conversation multiple times or railroad you into hurting Frank when there is a totally viable other solution.

I agree with a lot of what you've said here! It's hard not to focus on the inconsistencies w/r/t time travel and the rules about it, but honestly the point of the scene is more that Max is determined to make a good outcome without the use of her powers (other than to try again I suppose). She genuinely has to navigate a conversation with a very volatile person who could easily be an enemy and instead has him become a friend! I feel like it's a character building moment for Max more than anything. Instead of doing it the cheap way with her powers she does it the hard way and makes a very real ally. Less like it's railroading you to failure and more that Frank is just difficult to deal with unless you are very determined!
She did good, I'm proud of her. :)

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

So am i the only one who doesn't like that Frank is humanized through his really creepy and possibly illegal (I don't remember how old Rachel is supposed to be) relationship with Rachel? It really rubs me the wrong way.

Sort of, though I sort of feel like up until this scene the game is really playing up Frank as a potential villain. As such I initially took his relationship with Rachel as sort of an x-factor, maybe it showed that he wasn't a bad guy or maybe it showed that he was a creep who had a hand in her disappearance. This scene, if it doesn't result in violence, ends up really highlighting the good elements of his personality, he likes and rescues dogs, his relationship with Rachel was genuinely felt on his end, and the fact that he's willing to talk to Max and Chloe at all indicates that he's a bit of a soft touch. By then end of the scene Frank may still be a creepy and violent drug dealer but you get the sense that he's ok, though not someone I would want having my cell number.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I know Frank is not the most stable or rational of people but it seemed jarring in the conversation that he flipped out about "Blackwell kids expecting free stuff" when we had just given him hundreds of dollars in cash as had been previously agreed.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I know Frank is not the most stable or rational of people but it seemed jarring in the conversation that he flipped out about "Blackwell kids expecting free stuff" when we had just given him hundreds of dollars in cash as had been previously agreed.

That was Chloe paying him back money he'd loaned her, though.

-

An interesting thing to note about this scene (might be considered very slightly spoilery, I guess?) is that it guarantees that Chloe has a gun by the end of it. If Frank has David's gun, and Chloe didn't pick up Nathan's, the three possible outcomes are: 1) Chloe gets bitten by Pompidou (forced rewind), 2) Things are resolved peacefully and Frank gives the gun back to Chloe, or 3) Chloe struggles with Frank for the gun and ends up shooting him in the leg.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
So, I skimmed a bit and didn't find a reference to this in the thread yet, but in the video you mused a little about how one might go about getting a beached whale off the shore. Turns out, my illustrious state and setting of this fine game has attempted this before! It was disastrous, as people could imagine. ( :nms: for blowing up whale bits) http://www.snopes.com/critters/disposal/whale.asp

It's my humble belief that this is an in-game reference to Oregon's real-life boneheadedness with this situation.

I apologize if I missed this being posted already.

Fangthane fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 5, 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dimebags Brain posted:

What's this a mystery story where the heroes don't call the cops!? :monocle:

Yeah, it can be forgiven, especially because both of our heroes are idiot teenagers and one of them hates authority figures.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Not really spoilers, but may lead to spoilers if you're compelled to follow hints:

The thing I was most impressed by about the investigation bit is the fact that we, as the player, can get some really interesting tangential information from the evidence collected and the things we've scene beyond the conclusion we've reached here.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Fangthane posted:

So, I skimmed a bit and didn't find a reference to this in the thread yet, but in the video you mused a little about how one might go about getting a beached whale off the shore. Turns out, my illustrious state and setting of this fine game has attempted this before! It was disastrous, as people could imagine. ( :nms: for blowing up whale bits) http://www.snopes.com/critters/disposal/whale.asp

It's my humble belief that this is an in-game reference to Oregon's real-life boneheadedness with this situation.

I apologize if I missed this being posted already.

whale demolition is real and is something else

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I just remembered another thing about that Frank scene that doesn't make sense to me. The girls are asking for info on his drug deals, and when they convince him he hands them the little code sheet of dog breeds to peoples names. That's exactly what the girls need, which is cool and all, but how does Frank know that's all they need? why doesn't he ask himself why the girls don't need his records of who and when he dealt? Why doesn't frank realize that if all they need are the code names that means they already have his log book?! And if they already have his log book, how the gently caress did they get it from him, and why is he okay with that??

gently caress, it's still a cool scene, but the more i randomly think about it the more holes I find in it.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
Why does Frank just so happen to have the cipher on his person? He's the one who made the code, and he only uses the code for regular customers. Does he need to remind himself often enough that he keeps a list of codenames with him at all times?

I was going to continue with 'why doesn't Max just say that they're really only interested in Nathan' but tying Nathan to Rachel's disappearance in Frank's mind would probably be a bad idea. He's pretty willing to attack Max and Chloe for not being great conversationalists. I can't imagine what might happen to the guy who he decided had something to do with his girlfriend being gone.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jade Star posted:

I just remembered another thing about that Frank scene that doesn't make sense to me. The girls are asking for info on his drug deals, and when they convince him he hands them the little code sheet of dog breeds to peoples names. That's exactly what the girls need, which is cool and all, but how does Frank know that's all they need? why doesn't he ask himself why the girls don't need his records of who and when he dealt? Why doesn't frank realize that if all they need are the code names that means they already have his log book?! And if they already have his log book, how the gently caress did they get it from him, and why is he okay with that??

gently caress, it's still a cool scene, but the more i randomly think about it the more holes I find in it.

They say they need his client list, so that's what Frank gives them. The fact that his client list is his code sheet is mere lucky coincidence. Granted, you could (and already have) point out that it's kind of odd/awkward for Frank to hand them his list in response to them asking and not ask if they need his records too, or go "oh yeah, these dog breeds are a code for my records, that's not important, you can ignore that", but whatever.

The point is that if the player plays everything right, Max and Chloe only ever ask for a list of names and that's all Frank gives them. Any problems beyond that can be chalked up to Frank not being too bright.

Eldataluta posted:

Why does Frank just so happen to have the cipher on his person? He's the one who made the code, and he only uses the code for regular customers. Does he need to remind himself often enough that he keeps a list of codenames with him at all times?

It's probably not that necessary but no one's memory is flawless so it's better to have it written down somewhere. It's also a better idea to have it kept on him, otherwise it kind of kills the point of encoding the record book in the first place, because the only place he could really stash the cipher is the RV, and then if some darn sleuthing teens break into the RV, they get both the records and the cipher.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Also, as we learned from his phone, Nathan in particular is both a regular customer and an incredibly annoying customer, so I'm sure he's got some pent-up anger from that

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
How would Max have learned about the dog rescue?

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
From talking to Officer Berry at the Two Whales, when you're trying to get the key to Frank's RV.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Off topic, but look who guested on a Giant Bomb QL for her game today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvpzEcKrUd0

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Rirse posted:

Yes!!! This is what I was doing instead of getting out a second video this week haha! Please enjoy my silly game and all of us being dumb! It was a very good time!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Panzer I see a skeleton.

Can we expect Jeffrey?

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
You go by Panzer in your professional career as well? Truly, enriching The Skank BrandTM.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Panzer I see a skeleton.

Can we expect Jeffrey?

https://twitter.com/panzerskank/status/697161260400558080

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Panzer Skank posted:

Yes!!! This is what I was doing instead of getting out a second video this week haha! Please enjoy my silly game and all of us being dumb! It was a very good time!!

Your game looks dumb as hell but I mean that as a 100% compliment

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rirse posted:

I love how, even on the giant bomb site, people are complaining about the assets despite the build being clearly labeled as pre-alpha.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Will the international name of your game be localised to the proper "30.48m Robot Golf"?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I love how, even on the giant bomb site, people are complaining about the assets despite the build being clearly labeled as pre-alpha.

It doesn't even look that bad.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Waffleman_ posted:

It doesn't even look that bad.

Yeah I was really surprised by how much work had been done! Those robot models look so cool.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Man, just hearing that narration (I think it's Xaiter?) puts me in such a good mood. Y'all make super good, enjoyable and relaxing (despite their chaotic nature) games like dang.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hi friends, it's a day early but still a :siren: NEW VIDEO :siren:

:siren:Today things don't go the way you planned, and there isn't much you can do about it, sometimes.:siren:

The song in this episode is Message to Bears - Mountains [lyrics]

(This isn't the last video for episode 4, by the way. There are still two more to go.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jesus Christ episode 4 was long, wasn't it?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Seems like the Prescotts hire the best to built their evil underground facilities - all that place is missing is the Umbrella logo.

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
Hey kids, just a reminder if you find a bunker full of incriminating pictures please call the police and tell them before you run off to the next clue.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Goddamnit, Max... Bird: photo opportunity. Another bird: photo opportunity. Terrible evidence that might get destroyed: meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Panzer Skank posted:

Hi friends, it's a day early but still a :siren: NEW VIDEO :siren:

:siren:Today things don't go the way you planned, and there isn't much you can do about it, sometimes.:siren:

The song in this episode is Message to Bears - Mountains [lyrics]

(This isn't the last video for episode 4, by the way. There are still two more to go.)

So many little clues that can't be talked about until later. It's frustrating

• Locked thread