Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

well why doesn't the flash fix all of the words problems then?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, it's a shame Superman couldn't figure out a way around that. I mean, it's not like he's Superman
Well the point was that he wasn't Superman yet, and that's why I was willing to overlook it.

Eh I guess he could have tried to fly Zod out into space or something, but he was dealing with a literal warrior with years of combat experience, who is gradually getting superpowers that will make him indestructible, and Superman is just some guy with superpowers in comparison. It really wasn't a big deal for me.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Ehhh I'm willing to overlook Superman killing Zod because Zod outright says "the only way you're going to stop me from killing your precious humans is by killing me", and then straight up forces Superman to do it even as Superman begs him not to, and then Superman cries in anguish after he kills him. Like, it's not like Superman snapped Zod's neck and then stood over him with a smirk and a pithy one-liner, he's visibly distraught over what he had to do. That makes me think Superman is opposed to murder, but will do it if he has no other choice (and he won't enjoy it).

Granted BvS undoes this by having him be a brooding, angry rear end in a top hat, but I'm just talking about MoS in a vacuum here.

In one of Alan Moore's renditions of Superman, "Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?", Superman kills Mister Mxyzptlk, who has been manipulating events in a final effort to destroy him. He's so distraught over the action that he decides no longer trust himself to be Superman since he killed someone and opens up a chamber of gold kryptonite to remove his powers permanently.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rutibex posted:

Because when he tries, you get Flashpoint (the latest DC reboot). :suicide:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Rutibex posted:

he's dumb. Like, serioulsy. The Flash is really stupid.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

In one of Alan Moore's renditions of Superman, "Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?", Superman kills Mister Mxyzptlk, who has been manipulating events in a final effort to destroy him. He's so distraught over the action that he decides no longer trust himself to be Superman since he killed someone and opens up a chamber of gold kryptonite to remove his powers permanently.

wtf how do you kill Mister Mxyzptlk? its not like you can just punch him really hard

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Have any of them used their special eyes to determine the true author's intent of my posts?

If you read Zizek, you'll see that when I point out that Lois having psychic powers to determine the need for the kryptonite spear and how that compares to Batman having the powers of premonition are not a critique but rather a chance to express a feminist nihilistic allegory for seeing the future of DC films by seeing the future of DC films seeing the future of DC films in a DC film.

It reminds of how things were a few years ago across half the forums where everybody was libertarian. That loving poo poo was everywhere because babbies first interest in philosophy plus internet makes for some really stupid poo poo.

CineD is just going through a similar phase, only rather than discussing how it's moral to heat their homes with the bodies of the poor, they've "discovered" Zizek, so it's all overblown cargo cult postmodern psychosocial film critique

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rutibex posted:

wtf how do you kill Mister Mxyzptlk? its not like you can just punch him really hard

Superman whipped out his Phantom Zone projector, Mxyzptik said his name to return back to the fifth dimension to avoid capture, but Supes turned it on anyway and the result is that it effectively tore him in half by sending him to both dimensions.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
[Extremely CineD voice]

Film is like jazz. It's all about the notes you DON'T play.

I've been waiting my whole life for a movie without character arcs, character motivations, internally consistent logic, or world building.

And brother, BvS delivered in spades.

Superman being helpless against six regular humans who kidnapped his mom and not being able to learn their location even though he can hear and see everything is good. Alfred being able to find her when Superman couldn't is better. Batman being able to beat up six regular guys because Superman can't win in a fight against an average criminal is the best.

Where you see plot holes, my special eyes see the works of Miles Davis.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

also I literally don't give a single poo poo about the comics. they could rewrite superman's entire backstory and make batman go back in time and eat his own parents, I don't care, as long as it makes for a thought-provoking or entertaining movie, which BvS was neither

pre-movie comic book versions of Guardians of the Galaxy are nothing like how they're depicted in the movie, but nobody gives a poo poo because the movie is good. it is a good movie regardless of whether you only read comics, or you only watch movies, or you're a world-class athlete.

The absolute best comic book movie ever made is Batman Returns, wherein Batman is a murderer, the Penguin is a crazy sewer-dwelling mutant circus performer, and Catwoman is a supernatural being, and the main villain is a character created just for the movie.

Changing a character in order to serve a story that's internally consistent and well told is completely fine if you're competent. And Batman was still effectively Batman.

A gloomy dope who can't use his superpowers and frequently forgets them and has no interest in protecting human life, who is always angry and easily manipulated despite trusting no one is so far removed from Superman that it's no longer the same character. It's literally Bizarro.

It wasn't an artistic decision for BvS to have gigantic plotholes in a movie about Bizarro. It's just that Zack Snyder is an awful hack who failed at telling a gritty, grimdark Superman story. Which isn't impossible. You CAN tell a dark Superman story. It's just that Zack Snyder can't. Because he's a loving hack fraud.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
imagine respecting zach snyder as a director. :lol:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

thathonkey posted:

i respect him as a director of photography

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

thathonkey posted:

He is so obviously a music video director.

Opening of Dawn of the Dead
Watchmen credits
300 NIN scene
Sucker Punch literal music video sequences

He can envision and craft GORGEOUS 3 or 4 minute segments without dialogue. He is legitimately good at that.

But maintaining the other 2 hours with logic, plot, acting, character development, tone, etc. is where it all falls apart. He's yet to make a movie that wasn't 1 or 2 really great shots embedded in two hours of utter incompetence at creating a narrative.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I like the idea that Snyder and the WB execs sat down at the start of BvS production and said "look, we don't want this movie to appeal to Superman fans. They're a bunch of nerdy babies."

edit: "now to work on the doritos and slurpee brand deals..."

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Alright I get that superman tunes out the world because it's too depressing. I'm willing to accept that.

I'm also willing to accept for story purposes he has a special connection to Lois lane so that he always knows what she's doing and where she is.

I still cannot understand if he knows she's in the terrorist camp, how the gently caress did he just let jimmy Olsen die?

Additionally, they established in the first one he's just as tuned in with his mom. When Zod started loving with her supes just appeared.

gently caress Snyder man

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Superman is obviously losing his humanity as he didn't realize that he no longer had his mother on constant lock because he didn't want to hear another lecture or be reminded of his unnatural origins or whatever and he's only still attuned to Lois because he's porking her on the reg. That could make for an interesting character building moment and explain why Lex was able to kidnap Ma Kent.

E: obviously if Supes is struggling to be heroic in a bleak and broken world, the last thing he needs is another "gently caress them" speech from Ma.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 10, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AccountSupervisor posted:

Im so glad I told the BvS CineD thread about this thread because now everyones cross shitposting and it is glorious .

#whowillwin

you're a fuckin loser, dude

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
"Don't worry about me. Something's wrong, I think they need you in Metropolis"
Batman then sort of explains that, "I'm not like your son and the Amazonian. I'm not faster than a speeding bullet or more powerful than a locomotive. The only thing I can do to help them right now is to get you somewhere safe."
*Martha looks around outside, flaming vehicles all over the place*
"If there's a single car you DIDN'T blow up, I can drive myself somewhere safe!"

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
a meta-analysis of the two BvS threads:

GBS Thread
- Actually discussing the box-office returns and the effects that might have
- Criticism of the film based on actual character motivation and plot holes
- Plausible connections made about the ideology behind the film and why it leads to uncompelling film-making
- Makes me laugh alot

CineD Thread
- alot of posts that amount to "well its deeply flawed if you look at it as film but not if you look at it as art"
- "why would you watch [a film] for its plot?" - real quote in response to someone saying the film is bad
- contention that the GBS thread is a "safe space" which is so far removed from what that term means that I'm still unsure what point was trying to be made
- a Bern-out trying to turn the film into an allegory for being a Millenial in a World Gone Mad somehow
- nearly everyone is a cocksucker

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I just really can't get over jimmy Olsen being killed like a mad dog with mange and superman not doing a drat thing to stop it.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
CineD is so unreadably bad it makes D&D look good.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Chickenfrogman posted:

CineD is so unreadably bad it makes D&D look good.

Let's not start saying crazy poo poo here. CineD is talking about dumb movies, not real world policy they'd like to implement.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

MinibarMatchman posted:

you're a fuckin loser, dude

Sorry some of you guys are just super upset about comic book cartoon men movies and the nerds discussing them on the internet and its loving hilarious.

lfield
May 10, 2008

Sorry some of you guys are just super upset about comic book cartoon men movies and the nerds discussing them on the internet and its loving hilarious.

nobody is upset. you just want them to be

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Haha, people in a thread are talking about people in another thread. I'm glad I did this. It's me everyone. It was me all along. I want you to notice it. I made this happen. I hope you all know that. Got anything to say? Didn't think so. Look how upset you are. Are you making nerds fight? No, I'm the one who is making nerds fight. Look at me! U mad? U mad? U look mad. I did this. I'm the best.

lfield
May 10, 2008
AccountSupervisor is the one poster on the forums able to view more than a single thread. the rest of us only hear of the others through his benevolence

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Superman, bloodied on the ground: Help... Bort...

Batman: why did you say that name? My son is also named bort

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

It takes most people 12 years to figure out a topic might be discussed in both GBS and a subforum.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

many johnnys posted:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Superman dies at the end, right? So Superman's existence in the DC movies is just, he appears in a city destroying fight with another of his species, does a couple superheroic life saving things in a montage, is the sole survivor of a terrorist bombing on the capitol building, then dies fighting the zombie of the dude from his first fight?

lfield
May 10, 2008
yeah but in the next one he'll be resurrected. & snyder can really go nuts with the christ imagery

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

boom boom boom posted:

Superman dies at the end, right? So Superman's existence in the DC movies is just, he appears in a city destroying fight with another of his species, does a couple superheroic life saving things in a montage, is the sole survivor of a terrorist bombing on the capitol building, then dies fighting the zombie of the dude from his first fight?
And Batman's apparently been fighting crime (and the Joker, at least) across the bay for 20+ years in the film's universe and yet they act like barely anyone's heard of him before, like he's some recent vigilante that isn't worth writing about.

Edit: Even dumber, he's probably the one that locked up most of the Suicide Squad, too, right?

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 10, 2016

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
You know that one republican friend of a friend you absolutely can't stand because any kind of conversation has to steer back to the fact that he started his own cheapo house painting business so while you're talking about global economics or any policy whatsoever he chimes in with "I have my own business and if I had to pay my 2 employees more then I'd have less money" and that's literally his only point and all he can comfortably discuss within the confines of trumping everyone with this "I'm an expert on running a business" card?

You know how CD will have threads about brilliant cinematic masterpieces and artsy-fartsy movies and those threads only have like 4 pages max?

You know how when a really lovely version of something nerds care about comes out and CD can suddenly fraudulently wax poetic and pretend to be great film analysts because only they can see the artistry behind Jar Jar Binks stepping in a poopie because if you're retarded you can convince yourself you're smart by having a firm grasp on a really stupid topic?

CD has yet to figure out that the reason everyone makes fun of them is that they're the world's foremost leaders in seeing a bad movie made for the lowest common denominator and thinking that, like the house painter, because they know a little bit about the narrowest possible part of the broader subject (film vs economics), that makes them experts. They are essentially masturbating their ego because they knew how to put a band-aid on a cut, so that must make them brilliant surgeons.

It's the same delusion you can find in anti-vaxxers, holistic healing nuts, anti-GMO juice cleanse supplement idiots, and anything else that involves being retarded but knowing everything there is to know about the thing that makes people acutely aware of you being retarded.

naem
May 29, 2011

The story makes a LOT more sense in the comic.

Batman had been hokey Adam west TV show in people's minds for years, and frank miller wrote this dark gritty story about an aged bitter realistic batman as he does one last big scheme to stop a big bad something something.

Bats realizes that this impossibly powerful superman guy might show up to interfere, superman is less a character and more a force of nature (and yet comes across as more human and relatable in a couple pages than these movies).

It was the original "gritty realistic modern reboot" everything has been imitating since

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the superman in dark knight returns is a lot different.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

boom boom boom posted:

yeah, its not a very flattering Superman. i dont know why anyone on earth would be sad to see him dead

i watched Man of Steel recently for the first time in anticipation of watching Batman vs Superman. lol what a dumb movie, Pa Kent teaches superman that not trusting people is more important than walking over and saving your father life from a tornado :psyduck: like seriously? also, why do the kryptonians want to terraform Earth? to make themselves weaker? there is one line explaining it, Zod says that he doesn't want to "take month adjusting" seriously? suck it up, is that not worth super powers? even leaving the genocide of the humans aside, it makes no sense to terraform the planet.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

yeah, its not a very flattering Superman. i dont know why anyone on earth would be sad to see him dead

i watched Man of Steel recently for the first time in anticipation of watching Batman vs Superman. lol what a dumb movie, Pa Kent teaches superman that not trusting people is more important than walking over and saving your father life from a tornado :psyduck: like seriously? also, why do the kryptonians want to terraform Earth? to make themselves weaker? there is one line explaining it, Zod says that he doesn't want to "take month adjusting" seriously? suck it up, is that not worth super powers? even leaving the genocide of the humans aside, it makes no sense to terraform the planet.

Does DC let comic book writers write their movies?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

many johnnys posted:

CT;GM

thescience
Jul 18, 2006
Mulling it over this past week; I think Snyder's view of superman, and his place in the world, is the biggest problem I had with the movie. I liked the DBZ fight scenes superman had in both movies on a kinesthetic sense, but everything else about the character felt hollow. It seems that snyder thinks that alienation is superman's overall theme.

Compare it to another movie with an alien on earth who brings destruction in his wake, and still manages to make strong emotional bonds with people he doesn't know. To top it all off this character is autistic and can't always pick up on the social cues of this new planet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4dT2eBWI2M

Granted that's kinda cheating, since the director of that movie also later directed 'The Incredibles' so he must have some insider knowledge on what makes people emotionally respond to superheroes.

Maybe if only we could get George Lucas to re-release the iron giant to show his true vision

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's funny because brad bird and zack snyder both appear to be libertarians but brad bird can actually tell a fuckin story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

People arguing over Eisenberg's idiosyncratic choices or whether Superman should just let people die are blowing past the major issues that make this film fail on nearly every level. It's like eating a huge bowl of rancid meat that's been microwaved in vinegar and saying "They could have used more cinnamon" and having someone else say, "No, idiot! The whole point of the meal is that you're left...wanting...cinnamon..." *kisses fingertips like Italian chef*

• Locked thread