Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

From what I hear, the season finale of Sleepy Hollow totally collapsed in on itself.

They killed off one of the leads and pulled a Sliders where they specifically mention that she'll be back but as a different actor because her immortal soul is now in another person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

They killed off one of the leads and pulled a Sliders where they specifically mention that she'll be back but as a different actor because her immortal soul is now in another person.

I am more glad than ever that I stopped watching that poo poo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny thing is that they doubled down on character deaths with one of the side characters dying too but this meant his whole bit got extremely short shrift.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I dropped Sleepy Hollow a while ago but did this happen for any other reason besides Nicole Beharie wanting to leave the show? I can't see killing her off being a defensible decision otherwise. :psyduck:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That is the rumor at least, I don't think anyone has officially commented on it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

hcreight posted:

I dropped Sleepy Hollow a while ago but did this happen for any other reason besides Nicole Beharie wanting to leave the show? I can't see killing her off being a defensible decision otherwise. :psyduck:

I read this morning that they asked to be let go before Season 3 started. Originally this was supposed to come during the mid-season finale, but they changed it at some point during production. Either way, sounds like the decision is hers, which is fair enough as after a real fun and compact Season 1 that show fell so hard.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Regy Rusty posted:

I am more glad than ever that I stopped watching that poo poo

When did that show stop being worth watching? I quit watching a couple episodes before the end of the first season because my DVR stopped recording it, then I just stopped watching because I wanted to catch up before watching more, and I just... never did.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Terrence Winter has been fired as EP of Vinyl.

http://www.avclub.com/article/terence-winter-leaves-vinyl-over-creative-differen-235029

Show sucks anyway

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

muscles like this? posted:

Is the sister still on the show, or did she keep being inexplicably absent until she finally disappeared? If she is, why don't they just promote her to lead instead of this reincarnation thing?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

I was about to post this. Notice that Sepinwall said on Twitter this morning that there's always been rumours about 'Too many cooks' behind the scenes, so it wouldn't surprise me if Winter had enough. Saying that, he's not had the best luck with running shows, so maybe HBO need to get out of the Scorcesse game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lycus posted:

Is the sister still on the show, or did she keep being inexplicably absent until she finally disappeared? If she is, why don't they just promote her to lead instead of this reincarnation thing?

Yeah, she's still on there but the way they ended the season leaves it open to a complete reboot if they bring it back.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

raditts posted:

When did that show stop being worth watching? I quit watching a couple episodes before the end of the first season because my DVR stopped recording it, then I just stopped watching because I wanted to catch up before watching more, and I just... never did.

Finish the first season and like, maybe watch the second season premiere, and then bail imo

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Is it really bad? I've been letting it pile up on my DVR and was going to binge it when the first season was over but I might just bag it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You'd think a one-season show would be more focused, but Firefly was nothing but fillion episodes!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

smg77 posted:

Is it really bad? I've been letting it pile up on my DVR and was going to binge it when the first season was over but I might just bag it.

It is the unbuttered white toast of HBO prestige dramas. The most you can say about it is it actually exists. It is certainly a thing. It's not even interesting enough to be bad.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Boogaleeboo posted:

It is the unbuttered white toast of HBO prestige dramas. The most you can say about it is it actually exists. It is certainly a thing. It's not even interesting enough to be bad.

It does at one point have a fully nude Olivia Wilde. I found that worth the price of admission.

Otherwise the show is forgettable.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Zaggitz posted:

Finish the first season and like, maybe watch the second season premiere, and then bail imo

I would argue that it is just fine to skip the premiere. Slot Sleepy Hollow into the list of shows that we all pretend didn't exist past season 1, like Heroes.

They wasted some pretty solid talent. I'm just glad John Noble ended up on Elementary.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Outlander is back... season 2: Can Claire Fraser keep her big loving trap shut? Let's find out.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 11, 2016

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm up to episode 3 of Fargo and I am consistently surprised by how goshdarn interesting this show is. (And, y'know, good too.) It really just draws me in. Good job everyone who recommended this, it was so not what I expected.

Its style reminds me of Better Call Saul a little. (And not because of the near unrecognisable Odenkirk)

I do wish there was a tad less casual murder though. In a show full of well drawn but groundedly quirky characters and a sense of reality, I'm not really sure WHY the deaf guy and Chandler-off-Friends's-crazy-roommate-Eddie felt the need to drown that one dude at the end of episode 2. Even if I was a super evil sociopathic criminal, that would seem like a really bad idea, it just seemed like cheapish shock writing to sell that they are villains. And the murder is the least interesting part of Billy Bob Thornton's thoroughly interesting character who I can't get enough of.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I finished season 1 of The Leftovers. It got so much better after the first handful. Leftovers is really good.

e: unrelated but it looks like there's a cool reunion of actors from The Wire in some lovely video game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTwUVG3Rgc4

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 10, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VagueRant posted:

I'm up to episode 3 of Fargo and I am consistently surprised by how goshdarn interesting this show is. (And, y'know, good too.) It really just draws me in. Good job everyone who recommended this, it was so not what I expected.

Its style reminds me of Better Call Saul a little. (And not because of the near unrecognisable Odenkirk)

I do wish there was a tad less casual murder though. In a show full of well drawn but groundedly quirky characters and a sense of reality, I'm not really sure WHY the deaf guy and Chandler-off-Friends's-crazy-roommate-Eddie felt the need to drown that one dude at the end of episode 2. Even if I was a super evil sociopathic criminal, that would seem like a really bad idea, it just seemed like cheapish shock writing to sell that they are villains. And the murder is the least interesting part of Billy Bob Thornton's thoroughly interesting character who I can't get enough of.

They are hit men

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Rocksicles posted:

Outlander is back... season 3: Can Claire Fraser keep her big loving trap shut? Let's find out.

In season 2 so far, all signs point to "no."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

American Crime Story was so good you guys. Just finished marathoning the series and I feel like I just finished a juicy steak. Pretty content.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I still need to watch Season 1 of Fargo, though it's going to be warped to some degree by the fact that I've seen season 2 first. it sounds like season 1 is more "normal" in a lot of ways, with a central main character and two obvious villains. Season 2 goes full-bore on the philosophy, postmodernism, cultural/historical commentary, rad 70's prog rock, and has a large ensemble with no main villain and several arguable protagonists. All of that was extremely my jam. I'm worried season 1 will feel disappointing in comparison.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Spatula City posted:

I still need to watch Season 1 of Fargo, though it's going to be warped to some degree by the fact that I've seen season 2 first. it sounds like season 1 is more "normal" in a lot of ways, with a central main character and two obvious villains. Season 2 goes full-bore on the philosophy, postmodernism, cultural/historical commentary, rad 70's prog rock, and has a large ensemble with no main villain and several arguable protagonists. All of that was extremely my jam. I'm worried season 1 will feel disappointing in comparison.

Season 1 is a more straightforward narrative, but it's still excellent, and Allison Tolman, Billy Bob Thornton, and Martin Freeman are all fantastic in it.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

They are hit men
All the more reason not to kill someone who isn't your target. I don't do my work for free.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Fargo is great as a whole but for every Lorne Malvo you get two hitmen characters that feel like they were plucked from a late-90s Tarantino knockoff.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Fear the walking dead is coming back.

Oh joy. :geno:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Klaus88 posted:

Fear the walking dead is coming back.

Oh joy. :geno:

Maybe they will take all the lessons learned from why people are complaining about TWD and make a good show. :shobon:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What lessons? TWD is still like the highest rated show.

I love how the main guy in Fear has played practically every ethnicity possible.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Guy Mann posted:

Fargo is great as a whole but for every Lorne Malvo you get two hitmen characters that feel like they were plucked from a late-90s Tarantino knockoff.

Wrench and Numbers feel way more like Elmore Leonard characters than Tarantino characters. And that's about as big a compliment I can give to criminal characters. They rule.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
one of the best things about Justified was, being based off an Elmore Leonard short story, it continued throughout to be replete with Leonard-style criminals. Dewey Crowe feels like he could have shown up in a novel.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Instead of debating whether Fargo is a good show, you should all be watching The Americans, inarguably a good show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Josh Lyman posted:

Instead of debating whether Fargo is a good show, you should all be watching The Americans, inarguably a good show.

Waiting for the spinoff, The Canadians, eh?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Waiting for the spinoff, The Canadians, eh?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4338336/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wow that looks legitimately interesting.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Americans takes itself so seriously but the wigs look ridiculous

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Ahem

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

The wigs are amazing though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I think they are funny especially when philip has gross greasy hair and Aatrek mustache

• Locked thread