Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

PainterofCrap posted:

Gravity is not your friend on jobs like this.

"Eat a dick, gravity."

-Archer, latest Archer episode, after falling down a rocky hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Javid posted:

It's not scrap, it's upcycled wood

ftfy

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Those posts look lovely (and no footings???) but it's obviously just a wheel chair ramp they added in, no need to remove the stairs. The next people to use the house can then just demo the ramp and have normal stairs back. I see that all the time with old people "aging in place". A lot of these olds get their kids to come build them a ramp or something, so they're not always built to the highest standards. Specially because the people building them don't expect the ramp to be needed for long :(

That's a particularly bad example of a wheelchair ramp, because there's absolutely no way in hell EMS is ever going to get a stretcher through that door; there's just not enough room to take that corner with a long stretcher. It also looks like it's tight enough to be awkward with either a wheelchair or a power scooter. Would have done better to have the ramp coming straight away from the door.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Khizan posted:

That's a particularly bad example of a wheelchair ramp, because there's absolutely no way in hell EMS is ever going to get a stretcher through that door; there's just not enough room to take that corner with a long stretcher. It also looks like it's tight enough to be awkward with either a wheelchair or a power scooter. Would have done better to have the ramp coming straight away from the door.

Unless straight away from the door overlaps a driveway or goes directly into the neighbor's house. No comment on the quality of the construction, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they chose the best option they had available to them. Having built a proper ramp for my mother, you need a loooot of real estate for a proper incline that won't result in hilarity/disaster.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Someone post that picture of the city that built a wheelchair ramp with 15 switchbacks to the kids house

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Someone post that picture of the city that built a wheelchair ramp with 15 switchbacks to the kids house

Safety first

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is why wheelchair lifts were invented

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004
Ask me about my 'LiveJournal' :rollseyes:
At least there's no yard to mow

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That house has to have some sort of back lane that would have been much easier access.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
That looks British, are we sure it's not one of those British humor jokes?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Buff Skeleton posted:

Safety first

skateboarders love this guy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SneakyFrog posted:

Because they can buy his house after they injure themselves and end up in a wheelchair. :laugh:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

SneakyFrog posted:

I don't know if you were joking, but you aren't wrong:

quote:

The eyesore 'slalem-style' ramp winds its way over 60 metres and is proving a long way round for Clare and Katie.

And to cap it all, local youths have hijacked it as a skateboard run.

West Dunbartonshire Council have not yet completed the final costings of the ramp at the home in Clydebank, near Glasgow, but it is estimated to be around £40,000.

The family's problems have been further compounded by youths who are using it as a skateboard run.

But council officials have refused to install a gate, citing health and safety concerns.

Perfect in every way

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ashcans posted:

I don't know if you were joking, but you aren't wrong:

Perfect in every way

I wasnt. I saw that and was like holy poo poo. I would break my legs so many times as a kid trying to do something stupid on that.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
My bizarro house reached a new level yesterday when I was able to wrestle the blinds in the addition down and discovered that one of the windows is installed vertically (as is traditional), but its mirror image partner is installed horizontally. How do you even install one window one way and its twin the other? How could you possibly not notice that before you start caulking? How could you see that and not care?!!

I know it's a rental, but the urge to gut it and start fresh is strong.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Brennanite posted:

How could you see that and not care?!!

Brennanite posted:

I know it's a rental

There's your answer

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Buff Skeleton posted:

Safety first

Reminds me of this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

Your cat clock kicks rear end.

I've got one of those. They still make them new.
https://www.amazon.com/California-Kit-Cat%AE-Clock-Original-Size/dp/B00AFXXJR8

It runs on C-cells. When the batteries get low, the eyes and tail stop but the hands keep working for a few more months. Right now I think it goes through a pair of batteries about once a year.

I love it, though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

They still make them mew.

Ahem. :colbert:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

CopperHound posted:

Oh Hey, a door:

oh

what is this, a door for ants

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

packetmantis posted:

Clearly the uncle is using it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

packetmantis posted:

Oompa-Loompa compliance is the latest thing in ADA regulations

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I just dug up some old photos that I think belong here. This isn't exactly a crappy construction tale, but it's either this or the wiring thread and I think this post is more :gonk: than "help how do I electricity".

So, my day job involves working on microscopes in an academic environment. These things tend to get jury-rigged by the more adventurous researchers -- they'll bodge together whatever they need to get their experiments working, and then leave the hacked-together system in place so that some poor schmuckgrad student can continue their work. And usually they actually work, so long as you jump through the appropriate hoops and perform the proper incantations. When they break, though...

I was brought in to investigate why we were getting bleedthrough in the 488nm (blue) laser line whenever someone activated the 405nm (nearly ultraviolet) laser line. The boss of the lab (principle investigator) insisted it had to be a software problem, because he personally vetted all the hardware and there is absolutely no way, categorically, that it could be at fault. So I showed him the software controls, demonstrated that they were telling the hardware to do the right thing, and then noted, hey, I can hear the 488nm laser's shutter opening every time we trigger the 405nm laser's shutter. They're high-speed shutters, and very noisy (the lasers are left on continuously, and the shutters open/close to expose them). So we trace the trigger cables that open/close the shutters, and look what we find:

Is that a bunch of unshielded screw terminals for 5v TTL lines just kind of hanging out next to each other on the wall? I think it is! Could changes in one line be inducing a current in the other line, causing the shutter to flick open? Just take a look at the oscilloscope:

Isn't that some pretty ringing there?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

The next party of adventurers come through and find your corpse. They inevitability get to arguing how much the block weighs, and take it along with them because that one rear end in a top hat in the party thinks it's funny. Nobody ever thinks to cast Detect Curse on it.

Crikey, that whole thing had me laughing until I teared up.

:golfclap:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Run out of breaker slots? No problem!

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

kid sinister posted:

Run out of breaker slots? No problem!

See, the problem here is the wire is wrapped around the screw the wrong way, there is no way that would self tighten. Rookie mistake.

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009

DocCynical posted:

See, the problem here is the wire is wrapped around the screw the wrong way, there is no way that would self tighten. Rookie mistake.

Why didn't they just put in the lug clamp? I think that the icing on the cake is the copper peeking out of the wirenut waiting to give you a wakeup!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Bad connections you say?

:stonkhat:
I'm done. Nope, not even diagnosing the system. New compressor time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

morethanjake32 posted:

Why didn't they just put in the lug clamp? I think that the icing on the cake is the copper peeking out of the wirenut waiting to give you a wakeup!

Not the live screwhead?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

ExplodingSims posted:

Bad connections you say?

:stonkhat:
I'm done. Nope, not even diagnosing the system. New compressor time.

That's...sort of impressive. Someone put some effort into that horrible hackjob.

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Not the live screwhead?

No, because thats the danger you know and stay away from. The extra bit of exposed copper is just hanging out there waiting to grab you while you are distracted by the drywall screw with copper wound the wrong way screwed into aluminum wire, all the while wondering 'who the gently caress?'

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Moving to a new house from my current handyman clusterfuck. One of the first things I do in a place is break out the trusty three light outlet tester. I got a really odd reading so I pulled the outlet to see what was up:

That is an impressive amount of wrong in one place.

Special A
Nov 6, 2004

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!
Is that outlet self-grounding? I can't see the back of the bottom screw. If so, at least the outlet may have been grounded (if the box is), even if hot and neutral were reversed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The box is not grounded. The house has 1950s 2 conductor cloth covered wiring, not BX armored.

When installed the not-screwed-in ground and (hot) "neutral" screws are close enough to each other and come close enough to the steel box to become inductively coupled. It doesn't have any current carrying ability but it is enough to cause the DMM to read a voltage (but not an analog meter - the needle takes too much current to swing).

Looks like it is GFCI time, although I might check with the landlord to see if he'd be ok with me paying for an electrician to come out and install GFCI breakers to protect the entire circuits, as the the bathroom lighting has an integrated outlet and I doubt the lighting is daisy chained behind an outlet where I can insert a GFCI receptacle.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

The box is not grounded. The house has 1950s 2 conductor cloth covered wiring, not BX armored.

When installed the not-screwed-in ground and (hot) "neutral" screws are close enough to each other and come close enough to the steel box to become inductively coupled. It doesn't have any current carrying ability but it is enough to cause the DMM to read a voltage (but not an analog meter - the needle takes too much current to swing).

Looks like it is GFCI time, although I might check with the landlord to see if he'd be ok with me paying for an electrician to come out and install GFCI breakers to protect the entire circuits, as the the bathroom lighting has an integrated outlet and I doubt the lighting is daisy chained behind an outlet where I can insert a GFCI receptacle.

The 1950s is when ground wires started appearing in residential installs. Look closer. It's possible that you actually have the ground wire, but it isn't hooked up.

Also, they make single outlet GFCIs with a switch. That would be cheaper than a breaker.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I always thought this was fake.

I was wrong.

Rest of the album here.

http://imgur.com/a/fy3o2

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Maybe he has a lifted truck, that he can't fit into his garage?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm actually kind of impressed how nice the concrete pad looks.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Tigntink posted:

I'm actually kind of impressed how nice the concrete pad looks.

Never been used!

Can't believe for a second that the people doing the pour didn't know how stupid this was.

Maybe humoring an idiot foreman, or doing it as revenge of some kind? It looks like part of a planned development of multiple houses, so this is not just one eccentric owner losing his mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Hey, at least their drainage should be fantastic, right?