Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I hate to bring it back to bicycles again, but how are you people busting spokes? I used to commute on my Haro mountain bike and the only things I ever broke were either crash or stupidity related. I put thousands of miles on that thing too.

I've had my Giant hybrid for a couple of years now and haven't had to fix anything. I don't ride daily anymore but I was pushing 300lbs when I got it. I'm not so heavy anymore but even with my fat rear end on it and many miles later it still rides like new. Maybe I'm not doing it right or something.

Touring will do it pretty easily. Lots of weight, lots of miles, and rough roads.
My hub? The spokes held up fine (they are DT alpine III so the last think that will fail), the hub flange probably had a defect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

veedubfreak posted:

Roadbikes are built to be -just- tough enough to not blow up constantly. They use much fewer spokes to keep weight down. A mountain bike, even a cheap one, is going to be able to put up with much more abuse than your standard road bike.

As someone who rides a department store mountain bike, it seems to me like a lot of people buy bikes better suited for racing to do general road riding. The car analogy would be a person who enthusiastically drives canyons but doesn't ever go to the track buying a stripped out Lotus on R-compounds as their daily. It seems like sacrificing a couple pounds for a lot more strength and versatility might be worth it for a bike that'll be primarily used on the road.

My housemate has a carbon fiber Trek that's worth more than one of my cars. I'm pretty sure it's lighter than my laptop, but for non-competitive riding is it really that much better than a similarly shaped metal frame on tires that aren't pizza cutters?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Marginally, but if you have the money to burn then gently caress it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
While there are a lot of dminishing returns above about 2 grand, yes an expensive bike will be better in every way than a cheap one.
A carbon frame isn't just lighter, it can bes designed to be both stiffer and more comfortable.

Bikes are fun because you can use it to essentially its full potential on most public roads. Riding faster, more comfortably, while expending less energy is great.
These expensive bikes will benefit those who ride a lot. I ride 100mi per week, which is something like 7 hours (this is considered not a lot of biking), which is may more time than I spend in a car, so I'm going to spend some bucks to be comfortable and have more fun.
I do overbuild the poo poo out of my wheels though because I break poo poo.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

moxieman posted:

Yup, I work at the shipyard. From what I hear the kid in the car was special needs, so I'd guess driver distraction if he was having an episode or something + the roads were a bit slick that afternoon + lovely guardrail that was scheduled to be replaced anyway. Pretty incredible that everyone made it out ok.

Funny/weird when you see things you know about in here. I also used to work at the shipyahd! BMDA represent! (Pretty sure BMDA went away when GD bought BIW though).

Continue discussion as before please.

Edit dammit I confuse chat and horrible failure threads.

some_admin fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 6, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
What is a good seat that won't turn my rear end into a horrible mechanical failure. Every time I try to get back in to riding, I can't sit down for the next couple days.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

wolrah posted:

As someone who rides a department store mountain bike, it seems to me like a lot of people buy bikes better suited for racing to do general road riding. The car analogy would be a person who enthusiastically drives canyons but doesn't ever go to the track buying a stripped out Lotus on R-compounds as their daily. It seems like sacrificing a couple pounds for a lot more strength and versatility might be worth it for a bike that'll be primarily used on the road.

My housemate has a carbon fiber Trek that's worth more than one of my cars. I'm pretty sure it's lighter than my laptop, but for non-competitive riding is it really that much better than a similarly shaped metal frame on tires that aren't pizza cutters?

For sure. On my light road bike with good tires (continental GP4000S2), it takes very little effort to cruise along at 20mph. So for example if I go out for a 50-60 mile ride it takes 3 hours or less instead of 4-5.

Plus a well fitting road bike is going to be more comfortable to ride longer distances anyway.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 6, 2016

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

veedubfreak posted:

What is a good seat that won't turn my rear end into a horrible mechanical failure. Every time I try to get back in to riding, I can't sit down for the next couple days.

Go to a dedicated bike shop and make sure you get a seat that is wide enough that your weight comes down on bones instead of the flesh between them. Beyond that, don't use a squishy gel seat, and make sure your shorts have a chamois. Your rear end will be sore if you don't ride frequently, the only thing you can do is to ride more.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Well that's the problem. I have one of those taintsaver seats and my butt bones do sit on the seat properly. But when dem bones get bruised after say a 25 mile ride, it's kinda hard to get back on the bike for another week.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wolrah posted:

A more expensive bike is better, but you get hugely diminishing returns (especially for commuters) above about $1000.

A $500 hybrid bike from a real manufacturer like Trek is like ten times nicer than a $150 Wal-Mart Huffy.
A $1000 fast road commuter bike is about twice as good as a $500 hybrid.
A $2000 carbon road bike is like 20% better for a road racer than the fast commuter, and mostly indistinguishable for a commuter.

If you can tell the difference on the road between a $2000 carbon road bike and a $10,000 super hyper extreme road bike, your sponsors will buy it for you.

Incidentally, I think that people buying wheels with fewer spokes to "save weight", unless they're competitive racers, are idiots. Take a dump before you ride and you'll save twenty times as much weight as you do by weakening your wheels to the point of failure.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

veedubfreak posted:

Well that's the problem. I have one of those taintsaver seats and my butt bones do sit on the seat properly. But when dem bones get bruised after say a 25 mile ride, it's kinda hard to get back on the bike for another week.

Has your bike been professionally fitted? If so you may just need to HTFU.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ya, well, I don't wanna. But yes the bike was fitted, I'm just old and lazy. In my college years I used to put tons of miles running mountainbike trails. Getting bikebutt back is hard.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

some_admin posted:

Edit dammit I confuse chat and horrible failure threads.

No problem, so did everyone else apparently. v:razz:v

nm
Jan 28, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

Ya, well, I don't wanna. But yes the bike was fitted, I'm just old and lazy. In my college years I used to put tons of miles running mountainbike trails. Getting bikebutt back is hard.

Bad news is that its gonna happen that way.
May recommendation is start small. Very small. First ride like 30 minutes. Increase by a few minutes every ride. I assumr that as you're getting back into it 25 mi is like 2hrs or more. That is a long loving time until you get used to it.
Also, good quality bike shorts and some taint cream (I like DZ's, though it is pricey).

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

No problem, so did everyone else apparently. v:razz:v

I mean... bikes are mechanical, and if people are complaining that riding a bike is horrible, then something has failed... :shrug:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

This was more of a driver failure, but ...

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Krakkles posted:

This was more of a driver failure, but ...

My cat does this all the time - it's sunning itself. If it's a problem, you can just put down some bittering agent and it won't lie there again.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

nm posted:

Bad news is that its gonna happen that way.
May recommendation is start small. Very small. First ride like 30 minutes. Increase by a few minutes every ride. I assumr that as you're getting back into it 25 mi is like 2hrs or more. That is a long loving time until you get used to it.
Also, good quality bike shorts and some taint cream (I like DZ's, though it is pricey).

Yeah, this is the only way. I usually only have time for 15 mile rides, but I got a few hours lined up where I could go exploring the local bike trails and rode for 24 miles. I only meant to ride 20. My rear end was already sore, and my legs dead, for the last four miles because I didn't ease into it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I was intending to take a short maybe 10 mile ride. Well 12 miles in I realize it's not a loop and I have to turn around and ride back home. poo poo happens.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Do impending mechanical failures count?
I got to work on this lovely unit the other day.

gently caress Salt.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

I was intending to take a short maybe 10 mile ride. Well 12 miles in I realize it's not a loop and I have to turn around and ride back home. poo poo happens.

This is my favorite part of biking. Sure, I'll just head out for a quick 10 mi ride. Four hours later I've gone 25mi and I'm exploring a new area of the city I've never seen before.

I firmly believe that commuting on a race bike is a bit of a waste, but then again both my xc and dh MTBs cost more than my cars.

ipeelscats
May 7, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

gently caress Salt.

I feel your pain. I tried to pump down a condenser last week at a beach condo. Compressor ran for about 5 seconds and breached the coil. Good thing we where already there to replace it.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

ExplodingSims posted:

gently caress Salt.

Our A/C units at the beach in North Carolina look like that for half of their lives - which is about seven years depending on how cheap the family goes when they inevitably poo poo the bed on a major holiday weekend.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I know it sucks. Just about every account we have on the coast has turbofucked condenser coils like that.
It's really fun explaining to a supermarket manager that their rack's condenser is so hosed that the system can't really work right anymore at like 10pm on a Sunday night.
It's even more fun when you have to pipe in a sprinkler system and give them a $30,000 water bill. Bet that was a fun call for our GM.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ExplodingSims posted:

I know it sucks. Just about every account we have on the coast has turbofucked condenser coils like that.
It's really fun explaining to a supermarket manager that their rack's condenser is so hosed that the system can't really work right anymore at like 10pm on a Sunday night.
It's even more fun when you have to pipe in a sprinkler system and give them a $30,000 water bill. Bet that was a fun call for our GM.

:stonkhat:

Serious question, what the hell do you do when a system is that hosed and needs major components replaced? I've worked in grocery stores before, so I know shutting down half the store's refrigeration (or the entire store) just isn't an option.

It was really fun when we dropped a phase for several hours (1000A breaker vaporized itself when the power went off/on/off/on several times in ~15 seconds during a storm).. IIRC that was a 6 figure insurance claim just in lost product, and it only affected the refrig in half the store. It happened to be the side with the seafood and meat depts

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm hoping if it's absolutely not going to be fixed before the food goes out of temp, they'd be calling every charity that takes food donations to send a truck and take everything they can haul.

I'm guessing in the real world you have to just let it all rot so insurance will pay for it. :downs:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'd bet there would be a law against doing that. I know it's illegal in a lot of places to donate "expired" food, even if sell by dates are generally bullshit and the food itself is a-okay. There's a bunch of rules that make giving food away really difficult.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Serious question, what the hell do you do when a system is that hosed and needs major components replaced? I've worked in grocery stores before, so I know shutting down half the store's refrigeration (or the entire store) just isn't an option.

It was really fun when we dropped a phase for several hours (1000A breaker vaporized itself when the power went off/on/off/on several times in ~15 seconds during a storm).. IIRC that was a 6 figure insurance claim just in lost product, and it only affected the refrig in half the store. It happened to be the side with the seafood and meat depts

You leave the sprinkler system on it until the new condenser arrives. Then you pump the condenser down and swap it out with a crane. All while the product is on the shelves. You have approximately 4 hours to complete this entire task on a medium temp system (think fresh meat). 5-6 hours on a low temp system. And no, they don't move a loving thing off those shelves when this process is happening. They just hope the health department doesn't walk in the door at that time.

Sup fellow supermarket refrigeration buddies. If this is a general mechanical failure thread now hoooo boy can I provide some content!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

some texas redneck posted:

You do what you need to keep the system on. Unless something major is completely hosed, like the main power coming in, you keep it running.
In our case, we left our sprinkler system running, but we had to tweak it. Ran a new pipe up to the roof, added a solenoid, and wrote a program for the controller to only run the sprinklers when the refrigerant gets over a certain temp, The company we service only gets a their budgeting for this done like once a year, so we've been running this setup for about a year now. Their supposed to be getting new condensers this year.

Certain other components it's easier to deal with, Like if a compressor goes down, you have 2-3 others that can run that particular rack, so you can valve the one that's down off until we can get a new one in. Pretty much the only time you ever shut something down is if a case's lineset is so hosed up it's pissing out refrigerant. Even then that's usually an emergency call that requires an overnight job to run new lines out there to get it up and running. One of the blessings/curses of working commercial is that you can force a supply house to open in he middle of the night if you need a part ASAP.

PromethiumX posted:

Sup fellow supermarket refrigeration buddies. If this is a general mechanical failure thread now hoooo boy can I provide some content!

Post away here if you want, be we also do have an HVAC./R thread over in DIY as well.
I've posted a few pics of the stuff I work on over there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761260

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Uthor posted:

I'd bet there would be a law against doing that. I know it's illegal in a lot of places to donate "expired" food, even if sell by dates are generally bullshit and the food itself is a-okay. There's a bunch of rules that make giving food away really difficult.

Apparently there isn't. I saw a documentary which looked into it and they couldn't find any evidence of such laws anywhere. It's usually corporate policy, made under the false assertion that such laws exist.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Apparently there isn't. I saw a documentary which looked into it and they couldn't find any evidence of such laws anywhere. It's usually corporate policy, made under the false assertion that such laws exist.

Could a store write off the value of the donated foods on their taxes? It wouldn't make up for profit loss but I can't imagine they'd pass up a tax write-off.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 10, 2016

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ReelBigLizard posted:

Yeah, there's a higher-end fast food place that I eat at occasionally called Pret a Manger that donates their unused food every day to charities that distribute it to the needy. A really nice move on their part in my opinion.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ReelBigLizard posted:

In France it's illegal not to donate food which isn't likely to sell:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/world/france-passes-bill-forcing-shops-to-give-unsold-food-to-charities/article/451910

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, there's a higher-end fast food place that I eat at occasionally called Pret a Manger that donates their unused food every day to charities that distribute it to the needy. A really nice move on their part in my opinion.

Darden restaurants (Olive Garden, Longhorn, Red Lobster, Bahama Breeze, some others,) have food donation programs as well.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, when I used to work at Olive Garden like once or twice a week they'd have people come by and pick up our unused food. The only par that sucked (As an employee) was that we'd have to cook the food before we could freeze it and donate. Guess how many employees want to do that at the end of a shift. And guess how much of that cooked food ended up in the freezer (A: Less than 100%) But they did get some kind of tax credit for it, so we kept on doing it.

On a side note, I found a picture I took of one of our sprinkler setups. In case anyone was wondering how we racked up a $30,000 water bill, that middle condenser is about 50' long, and we used to have water running on it 24/7.
The setup pictured is after making some modifications to get it to run only when needed.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Not what you want to find in an engine you installed in a car a month ago

Have seen a lot of lifter failures, but none like this. At least with the lifter plates on top it is not physically possible for the lifter to rotate in the bore, so the cam was fine ...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

FuzzKill posted:

Not what you want to find in an engine you installed in a car a month ago

Have seen a lot of lifter failures, but none like this. At least with the lifter plates on top it is not physically possible for the lifter to rotate in the bore, so the cam was fine ...

That's just the single-use variable valve lift feature. :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

https://imgur.com/a/lacvs

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Are those timing gears with a pushrod bent up in them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's not normally what I picture when someone says their engine threw a rod. :stare: