Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hamsterlady posted:

I just beat FFX for the first time. It was really good. (Though I question their decision to make you redo the worst room in the game every time you lose to the final boss)

Should I move on to X-2? I hear a lot of mixed things about it, but a lot of people seem to think it has one of the best battle systems the series has to offer, and a good battle system in an RPG can make me ignore all sorts of plot issues they may have.

X-2 is really good

Don't worry about getting 100% though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Help Im Alive posted:

X-2 is really good

Don't worry about getting 100% though

I didn't even worry about getting 100% in X-1.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hamsterlady posted:

Well, the percentage is always there on the airship/your save file so it's easy to get kind of fixated on it. It's borderline impossible without a guide because there are a million little things that'll screw you out of 0.1% (all you get for 100% is an extra cutscene after the credits so you can just youtube it or whatever) Though I will say you should probably look up a guide to make sure you don't miss any dresspheres (X-2's equivalent of jobs/classes) because you can miss out on a couple of fun ones if you're not careful

But yeah the battle system owns and I like the whole YRP gullwings girl power rules thing it has going on. It's much less linear than X too, you basically have every location from that game and the airship available right from the beginning

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hamsterlady posted:

I just beat FFX for the first time. It was really good. (Though I question their decision to make you redo the worst room in the game every time you lose to the final boss)

Should I move on to X-2? I hear a lot of mixed things about it, but a lot of people seem to think it has one of the best battle systems the series has to offer, and a good battle system in an RPG can make me ignore all sorts of plot issues they may have.

Eh, it's fun. It feels shallow and I don't like what it does to some of the characters, Rikku in particular. It has plenty of content and some cool bosses though. It's kind of similar to Lightning Returns in a lot of ways. More lovely minigames though. And a job system which is usually enough to at least squeeze ten hours out of me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hamsterlady posted:

Good choice. You pretty much have to be a masochist for some of the ultimate weapons.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

x2 had the best battle system for a final fantasy and one of the best job systems in a jrpg.

play it!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Understood! I'll move X off my memory card and start downloading X-2 tonight then.

BleiddWhitefalcon
Jul 30, 2014
I just bought the Android port of War of the Lions and holy poo poo, it's confusing me. Any advice for a beginner? If it's relevant, my only SRPG experience has been a couple of Fire Emblem games

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BleiddWhitefalcon posted:

I just bought the Android port of War of the Lions and holy poo poo, it's confusing me. Any advice for a beginner? If it's relevant, my only SRPG experience has been a couple of Fire Emblem games

When you're selecting an action to take, spells and such will have charge times. If you press right instead of confirm (not sure how this translates to touch) you'll get an AT list of everyone's turns and when their actions will resolve.

Early on you want to stick with Squire and Chemist until you've reached Igros Castle, they're the first to carry Knight and Archer gear. (I say stick with Chemist though you can buy gear for White/Black Mage right off, because...)

Reaction abilities will save your drat bacon. Chemists learn auto-Potion that has a chance to pop a healing item every time you get hit. You can easily break the early game with a team that has auto-Potion.

If you can move but can't hit anyone, ending your turn without acting will make the next turn faster.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Find a book to read during the cast animations.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Saint Freak posted:

Find a book to read during the cast animations.

As far as I know, the non-PSP versions of WotL don't suffer from animation slowdown, as they patched it out a while back.

And yeah, the choice of whether to stick with Chemist for a bit of jump straight into Black / White Mage is the choice of whether you want a decent set of helpful skills as soon as possible or access to more powerful classes. It can be a tough choice to make, but you certainly don't lose anything by relying on Chemist for a while.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I should play Tactics sometime, I never played it past the first couple missions and now Ramza being in Dissidia and Record Keeper is making me want to play through it properly.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I suck at Tactics and have never gotten farther than Chapter 3.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Tactics had a solid story for its time (helps that it's a bit more complex than the standard FF fare, FF7 excluded of course) and gameplay that is actually strategic and challenging, at least until you learn how to break the game in half just like every other FF game. It's not perfect, but it's one of the better FF games out there for sure.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I suck at Tactics and have never gotten farther than Chapter 3.

if you know how to break the game it immediately devolves into "can i beat each battle in one turn or two?"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What is the general consensus on WoTL compared to the original release of the game?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Augus posted:

What is the general consensus on WoTL compared to the original release of the game?

As long as the slowdown is fixed (either by fanpatching the PSP version or playing the mobile ports) it's better, even if the translation gets way too fancy for its own good at times.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

CeallaSo posted:

And yeah, the choice of whether to stick with Chemist for a bit of jump straight into Black / White Mage is the choice of whether you want a decent set of helpful skills as soon as possible or access to more powerful classes.

More powerful classes that you can't gear up. :colbert:

Really though, Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite in the franchise to play. It's pretty forgiving, just level your dudes and don't worry about doing it wrong too much.

Re: version differences, the only real reasons to go back to the PSX version are to experience that lovely translation, mid-combat messages, and to break it even more easily with the JP scroll glitch.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
WotL has a few new things like more characters and a couple new gimmick jobs, though certain abilities cost more than the PS1 version since for the PS1 US version they nerfed the costs of abilities. The translation is really personal preference.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I've been replaying FF7 on PS4 recently and was annoyed with the guides on gamefaqs because all I was really interested in was missable materia and poo poo like that and they go into too much detail and in classic gamefaqs fashion are all "Make sure you grind a few levels here so you can steamroll the boss" or "make sure you buy all this item for your 99 item run" etc etc, and I remembered I had this neat if kind of hilariously flawed guide when I bought the game. The Versus Books guide. I also remembered that I'd kept it around somewhere but wasn't sure where so I went looking in my storage and found it... and a lot of other interesting memories. When I went all-digital, I got rid of all my games with the exception of some rare imports and favorite games with emotional attachment. So I present to thee...

This thing. Sun-bleached somehow to the point of being almost impossible to read and the glue-binding has mostly come apart so it's just a stack of paper. It came with a really great poster that is still one of my favorite bits of FF7 art but I've since lost it. Also the guide is flat-out wrong about some things but I guess it was based on a pre-release build.

Of course this. Still in good condition except a scratch on the jewel case which is obviously no big deal. Apparently these are worth money these days? Not that I intend to sell it, kinda neat though.

My favorite game bearing the Final Fantasy name! I still fondly remember getting crushed the first few times I played the first match before I started to "get" how an SRPG works.

This piece of crap. I got it to finally play FF5. The games are great but everyone who's played it knows already knows the FF5 translation is overly dry and both games have dialog and menu lag. I can't remember whether it was because they were running their translations on the fly like Chronotrigger or some PSX memory buffer issue. Still, blegh.

Oh hey, I forgot I had this at all. Never got around to finishing it even though I enjoyed it a lot.

Oh gently caress you Lightning why you gotta be in everything

Not pictured are my SNES copies of FF2 US and my FF8 and FF9 because they're all back in California in my parents' garage if they haven't already thrown them away.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

bloodychill posted:

So I present to thee...

This thing. Sun-bleached somehow to the point of being almost impossible to read and the glue-binding has mostly come apart so it's just a stack of paper. It came with a really great poster that is still one of my favorite bits of FF7 art but I've since lost it. Also the guide is flat-out wrong about some things but I guess it was based on a pre-release build.

That guide. :allears: It had some stuff from yeah, pre-release, but at least it wasn't the loving official guide telling you to look out for the Ranch (Ramuh :psyduck:) materia.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Augus posted:

The story goes from "what the gently caress is happening this time" on the PS1 to a really well written cool thing in WOTL

Also WOTL has some nice CGI cutscenes with voice acting that I think add a lot to the story.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That guide. :allears: It had some stuff from yeah, pre-release, but at least it wasn't the loving official guide telling you to look out for the Ranch (Ramuh :psyduck:) materia.

Hey man spellchecks didn't used to have deity names in them :shrug:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

Hey man spellchecks didn't used to have deity names in them :shrug:

that's why tales of phantasia gba has the Kangaroo

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

My favorite silly thing about the guide is that he included images of every character wielding every weapon... Including Red in 20 or so identical images.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bloodychill posted:

I've been replaying FF7 on PS4 recently and was annoyed with the guides on gamefaqs because all I was really interested in was missable materia and poo poo like that and they go into too much detail and in classic gamefaqs fashion are all "Make sure you grind a few levels here so you can steamroll the boss" or "make sure you buy all this item for your 99 item run" etc etc, and I remembered I had this neat if kind of hilariously flawed guide when I bought the game. The Versus Books guide. I also remembered that I'd kept it around somewhere but wasn't sure where so I went looking in my storage and found it... and a lot of other interesting memories. When I went all-digital, I got rid of all my games with the exception of some rare imports and favorite games with emotional attachment. So I present to thee...

Of course this. Still in good condition except a scratch on the jewel case which is obviously no big deal. Apparently these are worth money these days? Not that I intend to sell it, kinda neat though.

My favorite game bearing the Final Fantasy name! I still fondly remember getting crushed the first few times I played the first match before I started to "get" how an SRPG works.

This piece of crap. I got it to finally play FF5. The games are great but everyone who's played it knows already knows the FF5 translation is overly dry and both games have dialog and menu lag. I can't remember whether it was because they were running their translations on the fly like Chronotrigger or some PSX memory buffer issue. Still, blegh.

Oh hey, I forgot I had this at all. Never got around to finishing it even though I enjoyed it a lot.

Oh gently caress you Lightning why you gotta be in everything

Not pictured are my SNES copies of FF2 US and my FF8 and FF9 because they're all back in California in my parents' garage if they haven't already thrown them away.

I still have this poster (lost the guide in middle school through), but it so damaged at this point that I put it away to keep it from being ruined more.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Just gonna drop this off here:
http://eu.square-enix.com/en/documents/SteamPluginDisclosureFFIX

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Does that say what I think it does? Will the PC port just literally emulate the android version? At least they can't gently caress up the models for a phone port but gently caress me they could do so much more if it was actually made for PC.

E:VVV Oh, good. Never mind then.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 11, 2016

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

No it says they used the Unity engine with the Android plugin to build both versions from the same code

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The game's theme song is really Stand By Me now?

Okay...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

Okay...

I can't really imagine a better theme for a story about 4 friends on a road trip together to see a dead body totally alive girlfriend.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
According to 8-4, Stand By Me (The movie) is really popular in Japan which might be why the game's whole theme and characters are basically that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

Okay...

I'm glad of it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Okay...

look i wish it was the original version to but florence and the machine isn't bad so it'll be okay

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tae posted:

According to 8-4, Stand By Me (The movie) is really popular in Japan which might be why the game's whole theme and characters are basically that.

It was referenced in the first Pokémon game and Earthbound 1, I believe.

I might be mis-remembering the Legends of Localisation article I read a while back but they do really love the movie.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So wait, the Japanese version is using an English song? It's not a XIII situation where they just had an English song for English release?

That's interesting.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's really awesome to me for some reason.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

So wait, the Japanese version is using an English song? It's not a XIII situation where they just had an English song for English release?

That's interesting.

Stand by me is hugely popular in Japan

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I just realised I have no idea what the story of XV is supposed to be about apart from some dudes on a roadtrip. And one of them is heir to the throne or something maybe? I guess I've just been tuning it out since it's been around but not doing anything for ages. I should try out those demos I guess

Looking forward to Bravely Second this week. I know it isn't technically final fantasy but it's close enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McDragon posted:

I just realised I have no idea what the story of XV is supposed to be about apart from some dudes on a roadtrip. And one of them is heir to the throne or something maybe? I guess I've just been tuning it out since it's been around but not doing anything for ages. I should try out those demos I guess

Looking forward to Bravely Second this week. I know it isn't technically final fantasy but it's close enough

There's an evil empire that is attacking and their road trip is some sort of quest to defeat them basically.