Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
comics are dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Andrast posted:

That doesn't really seem that complicated. You mostly alternate between the two avengers books and then read infinity (which I assume is an event of some sort) also when it comes along.

It's only a pain in the rear end if you're reading it in any kind of physically collected form since those don't account for reading order between the two books.

IIRC every issue in that graphic has a teaser in the back telling you which issue to read next, which you can just go to if you're using Marvel Unlimited.

It's very good, and so is his Fantastic Four run.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

So wait, to be clear you're saying read all of FF before starting on Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity/Secret Wars? Because if that's it then I'll do that. Seems simple enough.

don't skip on Dark Reign Fantastic Four it sets up Reed as an idiot digging through Multiverse
Also Ultimate Comics Ultimates! It is the story of Evil Reed :dunkedon:
comics are garbage

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 10, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

It's only a pain in the rear end if you're reading it in any kind of physically collected form since those don't account for reading order between the two books.

IIRC every issue in that graphic has a teaser in the back telling you which issue to read next, which you can just go to if you're using Marvel Unlimited.

It's very good, and so is his Fantastic Four run.

Hickman's Fantastic Four is pretty much the only comic thing I've read in like 10 years and it was indeed pretty good.

I should probably check this out too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Captain Novolin posted:

comics are dumb

Yeah no kidding.

ed: whoops, never mind FF isn't Fantastic Four

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

pro-tip: only read comics if people still remember them a decade after they've been collected into volumes

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

So wait, to be clear you're saying read all of FF before starting on Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity/Secret Wars? Because if that's it then I'll do that. Seems simple enough.

Hickman's run, yes. Since Avengers/New Avengers/Secret Wars is very much a thematic continuation of that.

I guess this is the recommended reading order:

F4 vol 1 #570-574
F4 vol 2 #575-578
F4 vol 3 #579-582
F4 vol 4 #583-588
FF vol 1 #1-5
FF vol 2 #6-11
F4 vol 5 #600-604
FF vol 3 #12-16 (events take place during F4 vol 5)
FF vol 4 #17-23
F4 vol 6 #605.1, 605-611

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 10, 2016

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
You guys are making want to reup my marvel unlimited subscription even though I didn't use it enough when I had it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Atomicated posted:

You guys are making want to reup my marvel unlimited subscription even though I didn't use it enough when I had it.

IMO it's worth it for all of Hickman's stuff alone. It's all a bunch of ridiculously large scale superhero space opera stuff and it's awesome.

But yeah the reading order stuff is dumb and complicated and they kind of don't do that stuff anymore. All their newer books are largely self contained and easy to follow.

But if you have Marvel Unlimited it's really not a huge problem just switching from issue to issue.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also y'all should be reading Ms Marvel, Spider-Man(Miles Morales) and Black Panther.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Thanks Hakks. God loving drat it now this reading order is truly goddamn absurd.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dexo posted:

Also y'all should be reading Ms Marvel, Spider-Man(Miles Morales) and Black Panther.

Also Spider-Woman (both most recent runs), Silk, Patsy Walker A.K.A Hellcat, and Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 10, 2016

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Captain Novolin posted:

comics are dumb

yeah but so are video games

probably even more so

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hakkesshu posted:

Hickman's run, yes. Since Avengers/New Avengers/Secret Wars is very much a thematic continuation of that.

I guess this is the recommended reading order:

F4 vol 1 #570-574
F4 vol 2 #575-578
F4 vol 3 #579-582
F4 vol 4 #583-588
FF vol 1 #1-5
FF vol 2 #6-11
F4 vol 5 #600-604
FF vol 3 #12-16 (events take place during F4 vol 5)
FF vol 4 #17-23
F4 vol 6 #605.1, 605-611

when should I read his Dark Reign stuff?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

when should I read his Dark Reign stuff?

Sorry, the 5-issue Dark Reign mini should be the very first thing you read.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Toxxupation posted:

Also Spider-Woman (both most recent runs), Silk, Patsy Walker A.K.A Hellcat, and Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.

Wait Silk is good. I hated her stuff in the main Spider book pre secret wars anyway.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think I need a 10 hour loop of Dan's chant from the Powerbombcast.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dexo posted:

Wait Silk is good. I hated her stuff in the main Spider book pre secret wars anyway.

Well firstly Amazing Spider-Man 2014 1-6 loving sucked, I loving hated that goddamn poo poo and I only read it because I wanted the backstory for Silk.

Secondly, Silk as you mentioned is a lovely idiot in Amazing Spider-Man 2014. In her main, actual comic she's loving great because she's not a weird sex object with magic rape pheromones to seduce Peter Parker or what the gently caress ever she was in ASM. She's a young asian woman with severe, severe rage issues stemming from her understandable arrested development having been shut in a goddamn bunker for a decade.

But yeah, I would say the gulf between Silk's quality in AS-M and in her actual series is loving enormous. They barely resemble each other, and the artist for her run is loving fantastic. Seriously, I love Stacey Lee's designs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think I might read Transmetropolitan, I heard that was good

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Secret Wars is really easy to read. I read Avengers/New Avengers when they re-launched under Hickman through Infinity, then took a break, and just a couple months ago went back and read the rest of Avengers/New Avengers through Secret Wars. I think it only works if you're at least passably familiar with the state of the Marvel universe, though. I didn't get as much out of it as I probably would have if I'd been up to date on a lot more comics, but I enjoy big spectacle comics so I still found it fun.

Now I'm not reading anything except Squirrel Girl. I guess I still have time to catch up on the post-Secret Wars relaunches, though?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

I think it only works if you're at least passably familiar with the state of the Marvel universe, though. I didn't get as much out of it as I probably would have if I'd been up to date on a lot more comics

I don't think that's true. Pretty much everything Hickman did was completely separated from everything else that was going on at the time to the point where people were complaining about him proverbially getting handed the keys to the Marvel Universe and locking himself inside a cabin in the woods where no one could find him.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

For Secret Wars proper, are any of the Warzones minis worth reading, and if so when? Or is it just like, read Secret Wars proper, pick out the Warzones minis that look interesting.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
You guys should read Sunstone.

Go google it. Preferably at work, on a computer people can see the screen of.

I'll wait.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

You guys should read Sunstone.

Go google it. Preferably at work, on a computer people can see the screen of.

I'll wait.

That seems like an interesting story!

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

For Secret Wars proper, are any of the Warzones minis worth reading, and if so when? Or is it just like, read Secret Wars proper, pick out the Warzones minis that look interesting.
The Warzones ones are just for fun. Pick the ones you like. Of the Battleworld series, you should at least Siege and Thors.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
literally the first hit

:nws: http://loser-city.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Sunstone-Meeting.jpg :nws:

i don't even want to know what it is

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

The quality of the side books in Secret Wars was astonishingly high, maybe the highest for an event ever, IIRC the only ones that people didn't like were Armor Wars and some of the X-Men ones, but you don't need to read any of them, so yeah just pick the ones that look cool. Planet Hulk was probably my favourite, it's about Captain America and his pet t-rex going to Hulk country.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"The comic, described as an erotic romantic comedy, focuses on the relationship between Lisa and Ally and their mutual interest in BDSM culture."

I dunno, that sounds more interesting than most superhero bullshit

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dunbar posted:

Of the Battleworld series, you should at least Siege and Thors.

As a prologue or as an epilogue? Or some sort of hanky-rear end cut-between?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That seems like an interesting story!

It's actually pretty good if you're not wigged out by overt sexuality and stuff.

Dude did it as a series on the net with his wife giving a ton of story and character input and then he got a publishing deal with the company that he did normal comics for. I think he's done some marvel stuff at one point too.

Booga
Aug 20, 2007

Sunstone is great if you're a queer nerd, just like Homestuck!

ughhhhhhhhhh

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Batwoman comics are really good reads. I own Elegy and the first three of the series and those are fantastic. I heard after issue 4 gets pretty bad but I've not read 4 or later. I'm curious if DC will reboot that series any time soon or not.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

As a prologue or as an epilogue? Or some sort of hanky-rear end cut-between?
While you read the main series. Whatever tie ins you decide to read, try to read them all in publication order. Those two I mentioned specifically have plot events that lead to things in the later issues of Secret Wars.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Okay, gently caress. I think I got the loving list down.

To enjoy Secret Wars fully, this is the reading order:

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four #1-5
Dark Reign: The Cabal
Fantastic Four: #570-588
FF: #1-11
Fantastic Four: #600-604
FF: #12-23
Fantastic Four: #605.1-611
This reading order for Hickman's run of Avengers, New Avengers, Infinity, and Secret Wars, except for from between Secret War #6 and Secret War #7, I read
Planet Hulk #1-5
Infinity Gauntlet #1-5
Old Man Logan #1-4
Thors: #1-4
E is for Extinction #1-4
Civil War: #1-5
Marvel 1872: #1-4
Siege: #1-4

After Secret War #9, I read
Old Man Logan #5

Then after, any Warzones that sound interesting or potentially cool.

Is there any other loving comic miniseries or oneshots I should be reading in addition to this.

Comics are loving dumb, guys.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 10, 2016

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Okay, gently caress. I think I got the loving list down.

To enjoy Secret Wars fully, this is the reading order:

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four #1-5
Dark Reign: The Cabal
Fantastic Four: #570-588
FF: #1-11
Fantastic Four: #600-604
FF: #12-23
Fantastic Four: #605.1-611
This reading order for Hickman's run of Avengers, New Avengers, Infinity, and Secret Wars, except for from between Secret War #6 and Secret War #7, I read
Thors: #1-4
Civil War: #1-5
Siege: #1-4
Then after, any Warzones that sound interesting or potentially cool.

Is there any other loving comic miniseries or oneshots I should be reading in addition to this.

Comics are loving dumb, guys.

e for extinction, 1872, and old man logan are also super good. the timeline of old man logan makes it past secret wars into the new marvel status quo so it's arguably the most 'important' of the warzones books

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Toxxupation posted:

She's a young asian woman with severe, severe rage issues stemming from her understandable arrested development having been shut in a goddamn bunker for a decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIdFa1qLgNQ

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

hickman is such a better writer than basically everyone else in the industry that its basically beyond the pale. his run through ff to the end of secret wars is pretty incredible

also everyone should read planetary if you have the means

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Season 2 on Friday !

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

e for extinction, 1872, and old man logan are also super good. the timeline of old man logan makes it past secret wars into the new marvel status quo so it's arguably the most 'important' of the warzones books

I just wiki'd the Old Man Logan sequel since I thought the original run was kinda interesting

what the gently caress is going on in the marvel universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

Okay I added those in, and Infinity Gauntlet and Planet Hulk as well (since other people mentioned them).

• Locked thread