Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Evfedu posted:

Wait what you need to be level 60 for Blood and Wine?

Doesn't the gear only scale up to level 30ish?

Where'd you hear that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

When does blood and wine launch? do they have a date yet?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Might be coming out June 7th.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Megazver posted:

The Witcher Wild Hunt: Krew Wino

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Megazver posted:

That's the best happy birthday to me in a while if it turns out to be true.

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002
I'm finally getting around to playing this using mouse + keyboard and I see that some of the keys are unbound and others suck (left alt for dodge). Can anyone recommend some key bindings that worked for them?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Invader Zym posted:

I'm finally getting around to playing this using mouse + keyboard and I see that some of the keys are unbound and others suck (left alt for dodge). Can anyone recommend some key bindings that worked for them?

Don't use alt for dodge, you can just double-tap a movement key and you will dodge in that direction

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Megazver posted:

gently caress, I'll be out of state on vacation for a couple weeks. :cry:

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

Don't use alt for dodge, you can just double-tap a movement key and you will dodge in that direction
If your mouse has a thumb button, that can also work quite well.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I played through the entire game with default bindings on Deathmarch, you just kind of get used to it. Least I did. I dunno I also play a bunch of games with a steam controller so I may just be able to put up with a lot of bullshit.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

cmykjester posted:

I played through the entire game with default bindings on Deathmarch, you just kind of get used to it. Least I did. I dunno I also play a bunch of games with a steam controller so I may just be able to put up with a lot of bullshit.

I genuinely think the steam controller is the best option with this game :blush:

While I'm at it, what is the difference with normal and alt movement?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Rather Dashing posted:

I genuinely think the steam controller is the best option with this game :blush:

While I'm at it, what is the difference with normal and alt movement?

iirc with "normal" movement Geralt has inertia and turns realistically, unlike in many games. A lot of players found it floaty and weird.
Alternative movement Geralt turns instantly on a dime.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Pellisworth posted:

iirc with "normal" movement Geralt has inertia and turns realistically, unlike in many games. A lot of players found it floaty and weird.

There's an alternative movement setting??! Oh man, I played the entire game with weird floaty Geralt, running into barrels and repeatedly extinguishing candles.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Deakul posted:

gently caress, I'll be out of state on vacation for a couple weeks. :cry:

So you might get to play a patched version of the thing as soon as you return from a nice vacation? That sounds quite nice, I see no downside.

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

Sorry, I'm NOT Funny! :airquote:
My "serious" Channel

Pellisworth posted:

Wait, what?? There's an alt movement in this game? You mean I don't have to wait a second before Geralt starts moving? Can't wait to get back to the game with this new found knowledge!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

rdsarna posted:

Wait, what?? There's an alt movement in this game? You mean I don't have to wait a second before Geralt starts moving? Can't wait to get back to the game with this new found knowledge!
Yeah, it was put into the game in one of the patches because of people's complaints, that's how much CDPR cares. It won't help with the random candle lighting though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Palpek posted:

Yeah, it was put into the game in one of the patches because of people's complaints, that's how much CDPR cares. It won't help with the random candle lighting though.

There's a mod for it, though. Mandatory install.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Bobfly posted:

So you might get to play a patched version of the thing as soon as you return from a nice vacation? That sounds quite nice, I see no downside.

nuuu i gotta play it noooow

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Megazver posted:

There's a mod for it, though. Mandatory install.

smdh if your Geralt's backstory doesn't include subconscious pyromania

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
The regular movement felt natural and good to me and the "alternative" was weird.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

both models are pretty bad compared to other big games and roach might be the worse horse i've used since like two worlds which is saying something but the witcher 3's awesomeness shines through.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The only problem I had with Roach was her bridge phobia.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
On NG+ Deathmarch I did Skellige first to level up and make Velen and Novigrad a cakewalk and I'm surprised by just how much dialog changes depending on the order you do things in. Not just incidental dialog either, but Geralt actually gets new yellow dialog options.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Buschmaki posted:

On NG+ Deathmarch I did Skellige first to level up and make Velen and Novigrad a cakewalk and I'm surprised by just how much dialog changes depending on the order you do things in. Not just incidental dialog either, but Geralt actually gets new yellow dialog options.

Such as? Also, wouldn't the Skellige missions be seriously over leveled for you? Or does that change with new game plus?

EDIT: I've decided to return to Witcher 2 in order to muck around with some save options for Witcher 3 (need my tattoo you see). I'm amazed at how different Witcher 2 feels than Witcher 3, but not in a bad way. Assassins of Kings still feels like a Witcher game, but it is a vastly different experience. Despite being a much smaller game than the other two, it does this sense of scale and alien-feeling world so drat well. Foltest's siege at the beginning is utterly gigantic, and the Flotsam region really sells you on the utterly immense and ancient forest that human civilization just barely encroaches on.

I do admit that I miss some of the weirder Witcher contracts from Wild Hunt, but I appreciate how the main plot is almost intentionally muddled. More than the other two games, I feel Witcher 2 sells the fact that you are part of the world, and the world will do as it drat well pleases despite your best efforts. War is coming no matter what you do, and the only choices you can affect really influence your own circle of friends in the end as you try to get the hell out of the way and uncover the myriad of double crosses.

I do think I will need to get that combat rebalance mod though, I miss my dodge key.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 12, 2016

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The Skellige missions were pretty overleveled, but I was high enough on the way into NG+ that I could get by just cherrypicking low level ones. As for new dialog, the one big one that I can remember is during the quest in Novigrad where you bring Triss in to be tortured to talk to Menge. When Triss kills him and says she doesn't know necromancy you can give her poo poo because Yennefer was willing to do it. I'm still playing so there might be huge ones cause I saved Velen for last.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Real hurthling! posted:

both models are pretty bad compared to other big games and roach might be the worse horse i've used since like two worlds which is saying something but the witcher 3's awesomeness shines through.

The closest comp is GTA, specifically GTAV. The characters have too much weight & momentum to be fun to control, but there's so much awesome poo poo to do that you just eat it until you get used to it.

E - except, they somehow made Ciri super responsive & fun to control. Like a bayonetta-light. So it can't be the engine. Fun control & combat is demonstrably possible.

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 12, 2016

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Supreme Allah posted:

E - except, they somehow made Ciri super responsive & fun to control. Like a bayonetta-light. So it can't be the engine. Fun control & combat is demonstrably possible.
I think it's because they spent less time on her movement and animation, as non-intuitive as that sounds. She feels responsive because her animations are short, and her movement is simple.

Geralt on the other hand feels like too much work was put into his movement, which again sounds loony, but that's what it feels like to me. He takes so many goddamn frames to do anything, and it feels like there's 3-4 movement states just for poo poo like moving from deep to shallow water. They put IK(?) on his legs so they could match perfectly with the ground. His movement is so over-engineered that it collapses under its own weight.

Thankfully he moves better in combat once you get the hang of jump-dodge vs. roll dodge.

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

Sorry, I'm NOT Funny! :airquote:
My "serious" Channel

Tupperwarez posted:

I think it's because they spent less time on her movement and animation, as non-intuitive as that sounds. She feels responsive because her animations are short, and her movement is simple.

Geralt on the other hand feels like too much work was put into his movement, which again sounds loony, but that's what it feels like to me. He takes so many goddamn frames to do anything, and it feels like there's 3-4 movement states just for poo poo like moving from deep to shallow water. They put IK(?) on his legs so they could match perfectly with the ground. His movement is so over-engineered that it collapses under its own weight.

Thankfully he moves better in combat once you get the hang of jump-dodge vs. roll dodge.

Those people are insane if they used IK on his legs for movement. It's a bloody nightmare animating stuff on IK. Talking from experience. Yes it gives the best ground contact possible but it's not worth the amount of effort it takes to execute it.
Also, Geralt's foot contact doesn't feel quite right when ascending or descending stairs. But that might be due to the lack of geometry definition (of the individual steps) at the time of animation.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think Ciri might have fewer attack animations so it feels like you are more in control when she only has one or two possible animations from a certain range while Geralt might have 4 or 5 that all take different amounts of time to execute and seem to be chosen at random.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Also teleporting through enemies is really fun.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tupperwarez posted:

That's actually the reasoning given I think in an interview after they added the alternate control option. Basically a huge amount of effort was spent making sure the animations look better than than they feel and it ended up affecting gameplay.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Such as? Also, wouldn't the Skellige missions be seriously over leveled for you? Or does that change with new game plus?

EDIT: I've decided to return to Witcher 2 in order to muck around with some save options for Witcher 3 (need my tattoo you see). I'm amazed at how different Witcher 2 feels than Witcher 3, but not in a bad way. Assassins of Kings still feels like a Witcher game, but it is a vastly different experience. Despite being a much smaller game than the other two, it does this sense of scale and alien-feeling world so drat well. Foltest's siege at the beginning is utterly gigantic, and the Flotsam region really sells you on the utterly immense and ancient forest that human civilization just barely encroaches on.

I do admit that I miss some of the weirder Witcher contracts from Wild Hunt, but I appreciate how the main plot is almost intentionally muddled. More than the other two games, I feel Witcher 2 sells the fact that you are part of the world, and the world will do as it drat well pleases despite your best efforts. War is coming no matter what you do, and the only choices you can affect really influence your own circle of friends in the end as you try to get the hell out of the way and uncover the myriad of double crosses.

I do think I will need to get that combat rebalance mod though, I miss my dodge key.

I miss the meditation and alchemy system from TW2 a lot, it added another layer of immersion for me and it still makes me a little upset at how dumbed down TW3 made it all.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
reddit is actually useful sometimes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/4edm0r/did_triss_and_lambert_have_a_relationship/

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Scouring the internet, came across this "leaked feature list" for B&W, it sounds specific enough to be legit!

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Welp, I know who I'm not inviting to Kaer Morhen next time (Keira).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Deakul posted:

Scouring the internet, came across this "leaked feature list" for B&W, it sounds specific enough to be legit!
Here's the discussion when it happened, including a cryptic response from Comte de Saint-Germain.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I like how Lambert and Kiera ran off together.

I'm pretty sure Triss just goes for Witchers.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

So I've read the last wish and the blood of elves but only played w3, how is Ciri The daughter of Emhyer(?)... The Nilfgard king guy? Isn't she the daughter of the wolf man and Pravatti?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sneaky Fast posted:

So I've read the last wish and the blood of elves but only played w3, how is Ciri The daughter of Emhyer(?)... The Nilfgard king guy? Isn't she the daughter of the wolf man and Pravatti?

Wolf man is emhyr before he became emperor. He used an alias. He knew about the elder blood and wanted to use ciri to make an heir that would conquer the world but decided he couldn't bring himself to bang his daughter. In Witcher 3 he doesn't want to bang her anymore but set her up as his successor.

Anyone have an idea how to get the audio to stop following the camera? It feels like this is what's happening, so If I turn the camera away, my headphones will lose sound from one side and jump to the other side so I'm only hearing from one side at any time.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Here's the discussion when it happened, including a cryptic response from Comte de Saint-Germain.

Interesting, indeed.