Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mortanis posted:

It's going to be revealed near the end that Rip is loving things up on purpose and isn't really a good guy. It's been done that way twice on Flash now, might as well get it on Legends too!

There was a series of kids movies I remember vaguely from way back when where this turned out to be the plot. Josh the Time Warrior or whatever had travelled around with this professor dude to stop this other guy in a big time battle suit thing and then at the end it's revealed the 'bad' guy is trying to fix all the stuff the kindly professor dude had hosed up. It was pretty bad.

e: Josh Kirby... Time Warrior! ahaha so bad...

e2: VVV Holy poo poo, that synopsis sounds amazing VVV

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WarLocke posted:

There was a series of kids movies I remember vaguely from way back when where this turned out to be the plot. Josh the Time Warrior or whatever had travelled around with this professor dude to stop this other guy in a big time battle suit thing and then at the end it's revealed the 'bad' guy is trying to fix all the stuff the kindly professor dude had hosed up. It was pretty bad.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Man, I just looked this up, and I'm so disappointed that it's not real. Thanks for getting my hopes up, jerk.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ApeHawk posted:

I swear to god, if they come up with the idea that we and every other logical person had since episode 1 (freeze him up to his neck and stab him in said neck with the knife) at the finale, I am throwing so many clocks at the TV.

You could always burn him to ashes, lock the ashes in their brig and stab him when he regenerates.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

seaborgium posted:

You could always burn him to ashes, lock the ashes in their brig and stab him when he regenerates.

Or after they successfully beat him (one of multiple times) just toss his body toward the outer solar system. Go be immortal for eternity in empty space.

It would be so easy to solve their problem that it's kind of like having to write Barry so stupid on the flash. Bees are attacking a man who can run faster than light? Well he can't find the exit to an office building! He's trapped!

I know you can dodge lightning bolts Barry but eat about 45 punches to the face from random badguys why don't you.

Sure this villan can't stand up to the team and repeatedly loses but they just leave his body and walk away defeated a bunch of times because he can't die that means he won somehow?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Sure this villan can't stand up to the team and repeatedly loses but they just leave his body and walk away defeated a bunch of times because he can't die that means he won somehow?

Don't forget how he survived by blind luck when getting tag-teamed by the Hawkers in what, episode 2? Savage is by far the least credible villain in recent memory. Like he's loving immortal. Why did the writers decide that his thing was being good with knives??? Have him wear an atom bomb on him or something. He's lived for thousands of years, his resources should be limitless.

Creativity, was ist das

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I think a big problem is that Savage doesn't have a plan. Like, at all. He just does poo poo. In the 40s he's making hot people. In the 80s he's buying or selling a bomb, I forget which, and in the 2010s he's just trying to kill the Hawkpeople. Dude's immortal, he should be playing some super long con that lets him build up his power over the centuries until everything comes together at just the right time.

instead he did a bunch of random poo poo, then got a tutoring position and conquered the world

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Xoidanor posted:

Don't forget how he survived by blind luck when getting tag-teamed by the Hawkers in what, episode 2? Savage is by far the least credible villain in recent memory. Like he's loving immortal. Why did the writers decide that his thing was being good with knives??? Have him wear an atom bomb on him or something. He's lived for thousands of years, his resources should be limitless.

Creativity, was ist das

See that's a good idea. He wears large explosives and stays in populated areas so they have to focus on his infrastructure or try and find a time when he isn't around innocent civilians.

Nope, instead they will just successfully beat him up time and time again and just leave him laying unconscious somewhere because immortality.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

I think a big problem is that Savage doesn't have a plan. Like, at all. He just does poo poo. In the 40s he's making hot people. In the 80s he's buying or selling a bomb, I forget which, and in the 2010s he's just trying to kill the Hawkpeople. Dude's immortal, he should be playing some super long con that lets him build up his power over the centuries until everything comes together at just the right time.

instead he did a bunch of random poo poo, then got a tutoring position and conquered the world

He's immortal. That doesn't mean he can see the future. He's basically biding his time and waiting for the right opportunity to cause as much chaos as possible. We already know he was behind at least one world war, which of course pales in comparison to killing billions using the Armageddon virus.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Yeah with Savage I don't think they've really showed us compelling examples of how he's a longhaul schemer.

To use an example, he should be like The Emperor more than Darth Vader, yet they keep putting him in these frontline situations. Dude's lived thousands of years, he should have vast amounts of resources and compelling henchmen to do his dirty work. He should be like a Bond villain.

Also, I just now realized the guy who plays Jackson is actually British and was in Attack The Block :psyduck:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

enraged_camel posted:

He's immortal. That doesn't mean he can see the future. He's basically biding his time and waiting for the right opportunity to cause as much chaos as possible. We already know he was behind at least one world war, which of course pales in comparison to killing billions using the Armageddon virus.

but that's not very compelling. The guy has been alive for 3000 years, and in all that time never managed world domination. He's just been taking wild swings at it and never succeeded.

I mean, gently caress, if 2,000 years in he'd just decide to go with prudent long term investment instead of mega murder, he'd own the world by now

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

boom boom boom posted:

but that's not very compelling. The guy has been alive for 3000 years, and in all that time never managed world domination. He's just been taking wild swings at it and never succeeded.

I mean, gently caress, if 2,000 years in he'd just decide to go with prudent long term investment instead of mega murder, he'd own the world by now

I'm curious what he does in his down time. He just shows up every 40 years or so to be a dick before he lucks into the armageddon virus. What does the other 99% of his time go into? He isn't preparing or doing anything really at all most of the time.

Maybe he is just incredibly lazy and only ever gets around to being evil a couple times a century.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"After 10,000 years I'm free. Time to eh whatever." -- Vandal Savage

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Vandal Savage Brewing Co., founded 1394.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The team tracks him to 1992 thanks to a rare surviving copy of his novelty album, Vandal Raps.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Fat Shat Sings posted:

What does the other 99% of his time go into?

Baitin'. Self-publishes sci-fi under a pseudonym. He enjoys knitting and quilting.

If he was not so emo all the time and really motivated he could've been the bestest astronaut evener and discovered new habitable worlds since he can't die.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

The team tracks him to 1992 thanks to a rare surviving copy of his novelty album, Vandal Raps.

I want to hear Vandal's mixtape.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The year is 1838. Rip pilots the Time Minnow to St. Louis to stop Vandal Savage, who is selling poor-quality wagon axles to travelers. Kendra suffers snakebite and needs a week's rest and full rations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The year is 0. The team find Vandal Savage nailed to a cross because, a soldier explains, "he looks a bit like that guy, you know the one." They plan to stab him with the magic knife, but leave it in an aqueduct while trying to find a good Greek place. Ray, confused, founds Islam 622 years early.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

The year is 0. The team find Vandal Savage nailed to a cross because, a soldier explains, "he looks a bit like that guy, you know the one." They plan to stab him with the magic knife, but leave it in an aqueduct while trying to find a good Greek place. Ray, confused, founds Islam 622 years early.

This should be a @TNG_season8 thing.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
The team travels back to 1861 where Vandal Savage poses as the president of the United States. Tragedy strikes when they mistake him for the wrong guy at Ford's Theatre.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Does Caity Lotz have a speech impediment? It seems like some of her lines get read with weird anomalies kind of like Sylvester Stallone's stutter.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

People are going to be so pissed when Carter comes back on the team. Which I'm completely convinced he will since the fucker has been reincarnating for thousands of years and these guys are time travelers. One of these days they're going to land their ship in a new time period, go after Savage, and run into Carter doing the same thing so he jumps on the ship to make Ray's life miserable.

BrianWilly posted:

The dumbest thing, honestly. Either Ray has a twin brother he's never mentioned until now, or he has a brother who looks close enough like him as to be practically identical...either way he completely fails to consider that the statue might be of his brother -- again, he knows this brother looks just like him -- until Kaylee spells it out for him.

Oh also his brother is also into robotics or something. In fact he could also build technology that Ray invented???..???..?????,.........?

Sigh, I wanted Felicity to be Ray's baby mama so that she'd have a secret baby Oliver could eventually confront her about.

I think you're thinking too hard about this.

Ray naturally assumed that he was the "Palmer" in question since he's the one who pioneered robotics and built the ATOM suit. Its the obvious conclusion. It hadn't occurred to him that his "idiot" brother had stolen his poo poo and conned his way into the business. And he didn't have to be a "twin" because Ray was looking at a stone bust of a dude who had died 5 generations ago. "Close enough" probably counts here. Especially since it wasn't like "Hey! Look! Its the dead Palmer guy!" It was "You look like that guy" the same way you might look like your brother.

The real convenient shortcut the show took was that the bust and information was listed as "Palmer" instead of "Sydney Palmer", because who the gently caress just lists "Einstein" or "Gates" everywhere on busts and history lessons and poo poo without bothering with the guy's first name? It would have made a lot more sense if Ray had just assumed right off the bat that it was all his fault and never went researching the theory. He could have ran into his great great great great great granddaughter somewhere other than a tour to create the weird relationship drama.

It doesn't bother me that Ray has a brother he never mentioned before because despite watching Arrow I don't much at all about Ray's backstory except that his wife was killed by the Deathstroke soldiers. Dude could have 20 siblings and two lesbian mothers he never talks about for all we know. But the show sure made Ray look like kind of an idiot for not considering that for even a second when trying to piece together his future family tree.

But Ray.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 11, 2016

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ray, confused, founds Islam 622 years early.

This is the best thing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Or after they successfully beat him (one of multiple times) just toss his body toward the outer solar system. Go be immortal for eternity in empty space.

Actually, doesn't he need to keep killing the hawks to stay immortal? And didn't Carter have all his past life memories? They could have just kidnapped three or four generations of hawks and waited for an increasingly frantic Savage to die of old age because he couldn't find them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We won't see Carter again until they jump to like, 2040. He has to be born and grow to adulthood again.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The year is 2372. The Waverider's chronometer needs to be replaced. In THE FUTURE they encounter DarkHawk, a Carter Hall that's gone insane in the absence of Shayera.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

How would he dominate the world? He'd need to step into some sort of leadership position (king, CEO, etc.), which he can't do because sooner or later people would realize that he's not dying, much less getting any older. Once that happened, it'd be a matter of time before the world united against him. He may be immortal but that doesn't make him invincible or omnipotent. His entire plan is a very long con and it depends on him not being under the spotlight.

Besides, it's not like the dude is in a hurry. Being several thousand years old has probably made him the most patient person alive. That's why he has been biding his time and having fun with side projects like the meteorite experiments. In the long run though, he's waiting for an opportunity to significantly weaken humanity, which he's finally able to do with the Armageddon virus. From there, he can conquer the remainders without worrying about any resistance or counter-attack.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
TV Savage is aware that he is immortal but is he aware that he is unkillable? They really need to show him getting nuked or something and shrugging it off.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
Vandal Savage is just the stupidest god drat name

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Na'at posted:

I can one up that.

His daughter is named Scandal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

enraged_camel posted:

How would he dominate the world? He'd need to step into some sort of leadership position (king, CEO, etc.), which he can't do because sooner or later people would realize that he's not dying, much less getting any older. Once that happened, it'd be a matter of time before the world united against him. He may be immortal but that doesn't make him invincible or omnipotent. His entire plan is a very long con and it depends on him not being under the spotlight.

He already has that cult of loyal followers. His best plan would have been to get them into positions of power so that he can pull the strings from behind the scenes.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

enraged_camel posted:

Besides, it's not like the dude is in a hurry. Being several thousand years old has probably made him the most patient person alive. That's why he has been biding his time and having fun with side projects like the meteorite experiments. In the long run though, he's waiting for an opportunity to significantly weaken humanity, which he's finally able to do with the Armageddon virus. From there, he can conquer the remainders without worrying about any resistance or counter-attack.

I feel like you just selectively ignore what other people post, and as we know, most people consider you categorically wrong 100% of the time. Though I'm not one of them.

That being said, all your ideas are great...but none of it happens on this show, which is kinda the point so you could save yourself some time posting.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Na'at posted:

How can you say that when we just had a whole episode of different people trying to say "Per Degaton" without sounding ridiculous?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I can one up that.

His daughter is named Scandal.
Yeah, but she's terrifying. She murders a guy in a wheelchair.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In 1492, Vandal Savage sails the ocean blue. The team spray-paint "Nina" onto the side of the Time Caresser, hoping to blend in. They don't. Sara makes out with Queen Isabella of Spain.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Phenotype posted:

How can you say that when we just had a whole episode of different people trying to say "Per Degaton" without sounding ridiculous?

Because the kids name wasn't Graffiti Barbarian or Hooligan Roughneck.

White people naming their kids extra retarded nonsense words in the future fits with the Lakyyyn style names popular now.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

FactsAreUseless posted:

In 1492, Vandal Savage sails the ocean blue. The team spray-paint "Nina" onto the side of the Time Caresser, hoping to blend in. They don't. Sara makes out with Queen Isabella of Spain.

Does DC have any pirate themed heroes or villains? I want to see a pirate episode now.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

enraged_camel posted:

No, it's not. There's no long con involved at all. The birdpeople monsters, selling or buying the nuke, none of that had anything to do with his eventual rise to power. He just keeps randomly trying poo poo and failing completely on his own. He's a perpetual gently caress up who kept loving up for thousands of years, until he got lucky at the Degaton tutoring gig.

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Krad posted:

Does DC have any pirate themed heroes or villains? I want to see a pirate episode now.

Qu'est-ce que c'est

• Locked thread