Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Wasn't it one book for black legion and one for some non-founding legion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

feedmegin posted:

Didnt they ice Slaanesh? So one per book...

Not in 40k.

Yet.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

LordAba posted:

So there are rumors going around about Chaos Marine updates for 40k! So far it looks like they are split apart into like 3 books. They can't even get that right.

Not a viking posted:

Wasn't it one book for black legion and one for some non-founding legion?

They just updated the two codex supplements (Black Legion and Crimson Slaughter) that they put out a few years ago. They're not splitting Chaos into 3 books. The updates do nothing to address the core issues with the army, they just add new formations

Looks like Chaos players get to wait another year for a new codex. In the meantime, they can keep forging the narrative "Chaos loses"

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 10, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
pretty cool diorama, right?

But let's see what happens, after dark...

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 10, 2016

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Leperflesh posted:

That said it's also possible that Milton Bradley's game had rules written by GW, in which case, yeah, they were probably indecipherable.

The MB GW games all had the rules written by a single guy Stephen Baker who worked for MB. He tried to keep the rules as tight and accessible as possible and included lots of gameplay examples after each rule so players could see them in play.

When GW did some additional rules in White Dwarf for the games they were not written by Baker and were pretty uniformly terrible. The biggest example was probably the rules for using Orks in Space Crusade which couldn't even specify how many orks you had in your war band.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

boom boom boom posted:

pretty cool diorama, right?

But let's see what happens, after dark...

That's really cool and I would probably opt to do real lighting at that scale of diorama too. I find that adding LEDs to just models makes them look cheap and uninspired (like what many do with the larger X wing models) but I think with a diorama where the light can reflect off a bunch of surfaces, it's much better. Just do OSL for a single model. It looks really weird when it's an LED.

Also boom cubed you may have been resurrected but RIP your AV

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I adblocked the picture so it doesn't bug me too much

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
LEDs on a single model can be cool

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It just looks hollow.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Eh while that has more surfaces for light to play on, that would still look better with OSL IMO. Then again I really like OSL since you can see things when it's not dark. Also cuz I love blending reds on my skin tones.

LEDs inside models also underline that they are plastic models and break the illusion since you can tell they're hollow. It cheapens the look.

E: lol ^^^

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Chill la Chill posted:

Eh while that has more surfaces for light to play on, that would still look better with OSL IMO. Then again I really like OSL since you can see things when it's not dark. Also cuz I love blending reds on my skin tones.

LEDs inside models also underline that they are plastic models and break the illusion since you can tell they're hollow. It cheapens the look.

E: lol ^^^

Well the Unicorn actually does have lighting panels underneath it, so it's not especially jarring.

But for stuff that's not a robot that's actually got lights on it yeah I see what you mean.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I much prefer real LEDs, because to me OSL never looks like anything but paint pretending to be light, and on 3D models I can't get past it short of prize winning quality work ie with that gundam in the wreck picture, there's nobody in the world who could use OSL instead of those LEDs and have it not look stupid

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 10, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I definitely agree that LEDs are at their best when they're casting light/shadows on other parts of the model/diorama, but i've never seen laserbeams or melting parts that look this good with just paint

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
B3 how often do the plamo folks do a full paint job of their models versus just assembling them and maybe doing some panel lining?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

grassy gnoll posted:

B3 how often do the plamo folks do a full paint job of their models versus just assembling them and maybe doing some panel lining?

Probably the vast, vast majority just do straight assemblies with maybe panel lining.

I mean, when the final product looks like this, there's not a tremendous amount of motivation to invest in an airbrush or bother with seam-welding

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Oh hey there's a ton of Gundams out of no where.

I guess Boom3 is back.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My friends and family just assemble them and do some pan lining. These are people from HK, japan, PI, and the US. They consider me odd for painting them but they understand since I need to do it to enter the competitions someday.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Anyone else got a peek at the Crimson Slaughter update?

It's better than the Black Legion stuff, even if that's a laughably low bar to clear. I still have to chuckle at how lazy it is, though. Grab a formation of a Dark Apostle and cultists to make said cultists Ld 10....when a Helbrute formation can make them fearless AND offer better benefits for the 'brute, while not requiring an awful tax HQ.

The big formation that requires 2500+ points out of the gate causes the enemy army to get -1 Ld, plus another -1 Ld/BS if close to two of your units. Not too bad, but at that point level, getting Tau from BS 6 to BS 5 within rapid-fire range won't do much, and while the Leadership penalty is not bad, the game is still lousy with ATSKNF, Fearless, Stubborn and such. I'd normally at least give GW a casual golf-clap for making the effort at a fix, however weakly, but....eh.

Really hammers home how design is a long-term project and commitment. In a meta where all supplements/formations are roughly at the same power level, this would be quite acceptable: some bonuses for staying fluffy. But once you mess up and make one book too strong or too weak, you've wrecked the whole shebang for years. Especially if for some insane rationale you basically give up on FAQs and large-scale fixes.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
why don't they just give the lovely armies really good formations? I mean, formations seem like a terrible idea to me, but if you're gonna do them, give the really good ones to the lovely armies. lovely army players will be happy that they finally have some good options, and it might tempt some good army players into buying lovely armies.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

boom boom boom posted:

why don't they just give the lovely armies really good formations? I mean, formations seem like a terrible idea to me, but if you're gonna do them, give the really good ones to the lovely armies. lovely army players will be happy that they finally have some good options, and it might tempt some good army players into buying lovely armies.

In many cases it seems as though the lovely armies are that way in the first place because they're supposed to be a cinematic opponent for the fascist supermen. Asking 'why don't they make the lovely armies better?' misses the point because what's happened to the lovely armies is, if not deliberate sabotage, then at least deliberate neglect.

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016

boom boom boom posted:

Beyond it being a band-aid fix issue (Warmachine tier lists have this issue to an extent, where giving a crappy warcaster an OP tier list means you basically have one list option where your warcaster choice isn't a liability), you actually have to know your game well enough to know who would benefit.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Formations aren't about balancing the game, it's just people saying 'whoa wouldn't it be rad if this group brought like, five titans and that made them even better!' Unsurprisingly, the factions that the designers jack off about get both the cool formations and the decent armies to begin with, so if you playing an army they don't like you are just hosed. Sorry!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Why do people kept posting anime in this thread?

Same reason: They are dumb fucks.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sephyr posted:

Anyone else got a peek at the Crimson Slaughter update?

Someone pointed out that you can't take daemon princes based on the rules. Which is odd.
There really is no reason why they have to split each faction up into 100 different parts.

Formations are a cancer on most systems. Why can't the 40k people do like the Warmachine players do and just ignore it (I have yet to see someone interested in the Apocalypse version of warha-hordes).

LordAba fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 10, 2016

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

LordAba posted:

Someone pointed out that you can't take daemon princes based on the rules. Which is odd.
There really is no reason why they have to split each faction up into 100 different parts.

Formations are a cancer on most systems. Why can't the 40k people do like the Warmachine players do and just ignore it (I have yet to see someone interested in the Apocalypse version of warha-hordes).

Tbh I can see the appeal of formations with GW's whack-a-mole approach to balance. Like let's say you want to play an army of war bikes and killa kanz but sorry! GW nerfed them into the ground in the new book to sell more infantry!

If you have a massive army from years of playing but 75% of it is hot garbage thanks to the pursuit of more money, it's easier to play formations than it is to buy into whatever poo poo GW is pushing in your current armybook

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

I was gonna let "pictures of Gundams" slide but four on one page is just too much.

Have some Mexican thrash metal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ1a7o254Vk

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Avenging Dentist posted:

I was gonna let "pictures of Gundams" slide but four on one page is just too much.

Have some Mexican thrash metal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ1a7o254Vk

You have no idea, I saved so many cool pictures of Gundam models and dioramas over my probation. I'm gonna space it out better in the future, but there's some cool models coming in this thread's future.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Business Gorillas posted:

Tbh I can see the appeal of formations with GW's whack-a-mole approach to balance. Like let's say you want to play an army of war bikes and killa kanz but sorry! GW nerfed them into the ground in the new book to sell more infantry!

If you have a massive army from years of playing but 75% of it is hot garbage thanks to the pursuit of more money, it's easier to play formations than it is to buy into whatever poo poo GW is pushing in your current armybook

I don't get this. If GW makes killa kans bad, and you really like killa kans, how are formations of things that aren't killa kans helping you? If GW consistently swings balance like this what makes you think that the formations are going to be balanced at all?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
For those of us who have always had an interest in 40k but don't want to give GW money and aren't familiar with the rules, what exactly do formations do? How do they work different to regular squads/ models?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

ilmucche posted:

For those of us who have always had an interest in 40k but don't want to give GW money and aren't familiar with the rules, what exactly do formations do? How do they work different to regular squads/ models?

If you bring a particular set of units you get a bonus (e.g. a new special rule, better gear, free units). If your army is already good, chances are the formations you can field are really good. If your army is weak, the formations probably suck.

It's ostensibly a way of getting people to buy more models but it's really more of a way of adding insult to injury.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

ilmucche posted:

You used to take a Force-Organisation chart, with an HQ and 2 Troops as a minimum, with allowed you to take Elites, Heavies and Fast units; now not only can you take as many force-orgs as you want in any size list (So Eldar spamming Dire Avengers can take more HQs than before), but Formations can be taken Instead (or as well as) the standard Force Org list.
To begin with, standard lists got 'Objective Secured' which made them much better at capping objective points than other lists, but the bonuses you get with Formations are now so unbalanced, and some formations also now give Obj.Sec. that it doesn't matter any more.

It used to be a method to get players to spend money on unpopular or rare units (Assault marines didn't get taken as there where better choices, and people didn't field 3 Knights in a mixed force before the formation that gave them Even Better Saves), as you needed to take them to get the whole formation and the bonus that came with it.
Now it looks more like there bundling formations with every box set so you can play with Everything right away, with no care at all for force-organisation or balance

Renfield fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 10, 2016

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

boom boom boom posted:

You have no idea, I saved so many cool pictures of Gundam models and dioramas over my probation. I'm gonna space it out better in the future, but there's some cool models coming in this thread's future.

Just throwing out ideas, why not post them in anime forums, or start a new thread specifically for anime-based models?

They are neat, especially the dioramas. But they have absolutely nothing to do with Warhamms, table-top gaming, board gaming, traditional games, or (and this last part is especially specific to this thread,) GamesWorkshop and their possible demise.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I mean, they're nice models, which are tabletop games related. People post stuff like dioramas to the miniatures thread all the time. And the death thread is basically a chat thread with more shitposting at this stage.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

malal posted:

Just throwing out ideas, why not post them in anime forums, or start a new thread specifically for anime-based models?

They are neat, especially the dioramas. But they have absolutely nothing to do with Warhamms, table-top gaming, board gaming, traditional games, or (and this last part is especially specific to this thread,) GamesWorkshop and their possible demise.

wow next you're gonna tell me not to post pictures of possums huh???!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

There's also the possum thing

hey moola do you not have any cool skelebros you can post also? possums are good but they ahve too much meat on them

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Moola posted:

we off-topic posters must maintain solidarity

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

spectralent posted:

There's also the possum thing

hey moola do you not have any cool skelebros you can post also? possums are good but they ahve too much meat on them

please dont ask me to post nudes in this thread ~namaste~

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Avenging Dentist posted:

we off-topic posters must maintain solidarity

I may not agree with your anime, but I will defend to the death your right to post it !!!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

malal posted:

Because he's an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

Possums are a specific response to how insipid the AoS rules are, quite literally a form of reductio ad absurdum as a clear counter argument to the silliness of what we are all experiencing. Same as including hails to Saran in every post, adding sig- before every word, and changing every vowel to a Y to properly show how stupid the new naming practices are for GW.

BoomBoomBoom just really likes gundam models, and shoehorns them in at every possible moment. Even the modeling threads make more sense as a platform.

Hell, even the metal derail was a result of B3 posts.

• Locked thread