Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Geoj posted:

If sitting in the sun in a jacket and helmet for more than a few minutes is life threatening you probably shouldn't be riding a motorcycle...

I agree, and for that reason I didn't say 'life threatening' :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
http://i.imgur.com/aepf3UK.webm

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Looks like instant karma to me.

They Call me Derp
Jul 2, 2012
Fleeing the scene of the first crash, or just impatient?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm guessing impatient because he didn't just rear end the other car, he actively stopped and then resumed accelerating into the guy in a fit of rage

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Raluek posted:

No way; those are wide Euro plates of some kind. The pessimist in me wants to assume Russia, but who knows.
Those are Russian plates. Rampant fraud has made insurers require dashcams in order to get coverage.

Sometimes I think those Russian dashcam channels are run by insurance companies. Why the gently caress would anyone upload footage of how they caused an accident?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Javid posted:

I'm guessing impatient

Stinkin' drunk.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Stinkin' drunk.

In capitalist Russia...

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Crossover from the Schadenfreude thread yet again:

f#a# posted:

I don't know, let's go to another angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5dy26Sy0Hk

Nope, although the van caused another accident out of frame from the first GIF. Apparently it was stolen by a drunk guy from the company he worked at.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Last Transmission posted:

Crossover from the Schadenfreude thread yet again:

I'm glad to see the other angle. The first time I saw the original gif a few days ago I assumed the explanation for all the other lovely driving visible was "Russia." Turns out it was just people trying to get away from the crazy drunk van guy.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The story I saw for that was he was drunk, got fired (not clear which of those two came first), and stole the truck from his former work.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I agree, and for that reason I didn't say 'life threatening' :)

I could see it being a big problem if the outside air temperature is 105F. You'll cook in your gear like that.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

EightBit posted:

I could see it being a big problem if the outside air temperature is 105F. You'll cook in your gear like that.

Especially when you consider that the ambient temperature over the tarmac might be 10-20F higher.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Speaking of filtering I was puttering along one of the main roads yesterday on the awesome power of my 250cc bike and I casually filtered to the front of the pack at the stop lights (can't filter faster than 30k in my state and a few other rules to keep it safe). Clearly this upset mr speedster who I stopped infront of because when he had his chance he overtook me...only for me to once agai filter past him and about six other cars at the next light. Really don't understand the people who do this to bikes here.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
http://i.imgur.com/aopXLcQ.webm

(Broken arm, otherwise fine)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

:stare:

I hope that idiot who went on the wrong side of the road because he couldn't be hosed to be delayed for a minute or two got the book thrown at him for that.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Geoj posted:

If sitting in the sun in a jacket and helmet for more than a few minutes is life threatening you probably shouldn't be riding a motorcycle...

C'mon. You try sitting out there, in public, in full leathers, with all that power throbbing between your legs, and tell me it doesn't make you hot under the collar.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

The Locator posted:

:stare:

I hope that idiot who went on the wrong side of the road because he couldn't be hosed to be delayed for a minute or two got the book thrown at him for that.

Yeah that's illegal as hell and they found out why the hard way. Hopefully had their license revoked at the scene.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Apartment complex has had some roofing work done over the last month due to wind storms in Western Michigan.

Gigantic roofing staple is lodged in my tire this morning. No way to prove it was them. :argh:

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Apartment complex has had some roofing work done over the last month due to wind storms in Western Michigan.

Gigantic roofing staple is lodged in my tire this morning. No way to prove it was them. :argh:

Those fuckers...

I had a siding crew dropping nails all over the ground in front of my garage. Luckily I had the foresight to check before pulling out and picked up 6 nails that would have ended up in my tires.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RapeWhistle posted:

Those fuckers...

I had a siding crew dropping nails all over the ground in front of my garage. Luckily I had the foresight to check before pulling out and picked up 6 nails that would have ended up in my tires.

Yeah, this is annoying as all hell. Luckily I work from home, but I still have to Jack the car up, take the wheel off, and get it to a tire shop to patch.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Fail army has a driving fail video up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZEl6hiunq4

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

AWD, had to replace all 4 tires, tires which had 10,000~ miles on them. :smith:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You should be able to get one shaved down instead of buying a new set.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The major issue is that I bought the tires before I moved in September. The chain I bought the tires from isn't in Michigan. :smith:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I don't see what that has to do with getting it shaved down? Did you at least get the used tires back to sell?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I would have to order the same tire, which I don't have time for. As to your second question, the tire shop wanted me to trade them in for 250$ off, so it came out to 300~$ for a set of 4. It's not the worst price in the world.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

AWD, had to replace all 4 tires, tires which had 10,000~ miles on them. :smith:

Goodyear has a 3 year hazard warranty now. Got two tires with ~3000 miles replaced after I hit some road debris from a car accident that happened right in front of me on the highway.

It's like $30/tire and free replacement.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Here is a neat video of Brazilian motorcycle cops chasing criminals on motorcycles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33BTSnQFuz0

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

B4Ctom1 posted:

Here is a neat video of Brazilian motorcycle cops chasing criminals on motorcycles
From watching liveleak I now know that you should not gently caress with ANYone in Brazil. If you steal something and theres 5 or more people that saw it you're probably getting stoned to death.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
Great, the prologue to the Giro d'Italia is being held in my area. Why the gently caress the prologue is being held 2000km away from Italy, I have no idea.
It does however explain the amount of Armstrong wannabes clogging up the roads around here.

Doing the deliveries today was interesting to say the least. If you think these people act insane when dealing with cars, apparently they feel that the same degree of insanity is appropriate when confronted by a 16t lorry.

Seeing them scatter like a flight of pigeons when honking at them, that will never not be funny. 130dB+ of toooooot really does help.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

B4Ctom1 posted:

GTA6: brazil

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Deedle posted:

Great, the prologue to the Giro d'Italia is being held in my area. Why the gently caress the prologue is being held 2000km away from Italy, I have no idea.
It does however explain the amount of Armstrong wannabes clogging up the roads around here.

Doing the deliveries today was interesting to say the least. If you think these people act insane when dealing with cars, apparently they feel that the same degree of insanity is appropriate when confronted by a 16t lorry.

Seeing them scatter like a flight of pigeons when honking at them, that will never not be funny. 130dB+ of toooooot really does help.

Jesus. 130 of generally considered to be the threshold for instantaneous, permanent damage. That's gunshot loud.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
You mean 180dB.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

insta posted:

You mean 180dB.

No, I don't. I'm talking about damage, not deafness.

Edit: guns can be anywhere from 130 to 190 depending on the cartridge.

Was looking for a good source for the damage threshold but have a surprise meeting so here's the top Google hit. http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/noise-induced-hearing-loss/

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 13, 2016

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Jesus. 130 of generally considered to be the threshold for instantaneous, permanent damage. That's gunshot loud.
Head-butting a DAF CF45 probably does more and worse damage to the human body.

And remember these are people who apparently don't take the sound of a Cummins 5.9l 6cyl turbo diesel as a hint that they should go back to the part of the road put there specifically for cyclists.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Welcome to Spokane! :suicide:

Local rules of driving:

Please enjoy your coffee/phone/food/makeup/anything while motoring - weaving within/across lanes is great fun.

While on the subject of "weaving", remember to observe the Spokane Lane Change: when turning onto a multilane street (IE, most through streets), just select any lane you like and wander over! As well, make turns out of the inner lanes across the actual turn lanes.

When turning, remember to keep speed up until you're at your turn, then lock your brakes, turn on your signal (optional), and slowly proceed through that turn. (Bonus points for pedestrian targeting).

If proceeding down a street that has a curve upcoming, remember to slow down to 20 MPH no matter the conditions, as this makes it easier for you to marvel at whatever is nearby.

When coming to a halt to enter the drive-though line, be sure to hug the lane divider - never ever pull onto the shoulder/out of line of traffic, much less actually pull off the street.

Please remember that the big white stop line Is optional, it's not like anyone turns at those locations and will possibly rip the front off your ride (especially trucks and buses). Go ahead and stop directly in the crosswalk while you're at it, and never look to see if you're about to hit a pedestrian when you charge out at the first hint of a space.

Pedestrians and cyclists can play too! Cross major thoroughfares wherever and whenever you feel like it, ride or walk on the concrete center divider of the bridge, ninja up before taking to the middle of the unlit streets, and always, *always*, when given a choice of a sidewalk, a bike lane, or the vehicle lane: stagger around where the cars are, on your cell/intoxicant of choice/all of the above (preferably going opposite traffic flow).

Students at our local higher education facilities: yes, you *are* immortal! Stride right out into traffic while intently staring at your phone or book - vehicular traffic will part just as Moses parted the Red Sea!

When entering the freeway, feel free to maintain whatever lack of speed you feel like - 35 MPH is a fine way to merge into 70 MPH traffic.

In parking lots, always dart behind vehicles that are backing up - you they have insurance for a reason, you know.

Oversized vehicles: go ahead and drive under those bridges, the maximum height signs are bullshit.

Extra points are awarded for not yielding to emergency vehicles, and if you do so, you *must* pull directly back out into traffic without looking.

<sigh> I guess this covers most of what I've seen so far this month.

Oh, and in non-traffic (I assume :ohdear:) hijinks, someone seems to dislike me - in March, all the lugnuts on my left front wheel were loosened, and a couple weeks ago I received two brand-new roofing nails, in the same groove an inch apart, in my right rear.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There's nothing I've heard or seen about Spokane that suggests there's a good reason for anyone to live or visit there.

They should change the city's motto to "Spokane: As Seen on COPS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only reason to ever take note of Spokane is it means you're almost to Idaho.

Or if you're driving west, you have a long boring day ahead of you because the Cascades are very far away and there is jack poo poo to look at until you get there.

The one time my mom and I were driving it and she got a flat about halfway to Ellensburg? loving miserable creeping our way at 30mph to the nearest tire shop.