Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Eh, I dunno, the problem is that while I have some nice weapons, the Nu Khai Armlet is the only 5 star armor I have, and I still only have the low level abilities. Even the difficulty level 30 experience dungeon resulted in a party wipe since everything dealt about 1200 damage to my party and the basic Cure and Protect spells can't really handle that. I'm still going to try my best to get Agrias before the event ends but I'm not going to get my hopes up too high.

If you can't get her, don't be too upset; Beatrix, Paladin Cecil and Steiner can do most of what she can do (Beatrix and Pal!Cecil lack Spellblades, Steiner's missing white magic) so there's options in the Hall of Rites even if it'll be a while before she shows up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Is there any reward for completing dailies after the first time/mastery?

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Decil Pecil Gecil Fecil Cecil Jecil Mecil Becil

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Also: The enemies in Sundaily are right dicks. If you're starting today, you should be able to grab Agrias before the event ends with a little luck and maybe some save-load abuse.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

So when Darkness and Kuja roll around which character is going to mesh best with it? My current dark choices are a little dry Golbez(Shadow Fang only) and Kefka(Havoc Wing only), would have loved to get Exdeath's branch but FFT banner.

Maybe I'll just save for Kuja's SB for dark shenanigans he'll have level 80 anyway.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Shoenin posted:

Decil Pecil Gecil Fecil Cecil Jecil Mecil Becil

Dark Knight/Paladin/Geomancer/Fighter/Chemist/Judge/Monk/Black Mage Cecil

(Judge was all I could think of for J)

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Fat and Useless posted:

So when Darkness and Kuja roll around which character is going to mesh best with it? My current dark choices are a little dry Golbez(Shadow Fang only) and Kefka(Havoc Wing only), would have loved to get Exdeath's branch but FFT banner.

Maybe I'll just save for Kuja's SB for dark shenanigans he'll have level 80 anyway.

Believe it or not, Kuja will :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Niton posted:

Also: The enemies in Sundaily are right dicks. If you're starting today, you should be able to grab Agrias before the event ends with a little luck and maybe some save-load abuse.

I guess I still don't understand how. I thought I was close, but I got wiped hard by the 2nd wave of the bosses.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Beasteh posted:

Believe it or not, Kuja will :v:

Eh figures

Back up to 100 mythril!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Tae posted:

I guess I still don't understand how. I thought I was close, but I got wiped hard by the 2nd wave of the bosses.

If you're about to die, you can exit and re-open the client - it'll start you back at the "beginning" of the current fight, as a soft reset. It's kind of an exploit, but the game wouldn't function without the ability to save your stamina that way.

What's killing you on the boss wave? Is it just a lack of health/damage to take the Knight down before he kills someone?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Niton posted:

If you're about to die, you can exit and re-open the client - it'll start you back at the "beginning" of the current fight, as a soft reset. It's kind of an exploit, but the game wouldn't function without the ability to save your stamina that way.

What's killing you on the boss wave? Is it just a lack of health/damage to take the Knight down before he kills someone?

I guess it's basically a race to kill the black mage in the 1st wave, a race to kill the time/white mage in time, and then I didn't know there was a third wave and I was out of resources by then.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fat and Useless posted:

If you can pull his glove, Kuja works best. Golbez would be a good pick if you had his Ebon Armor (there's another chance to pull it in the Palom/Porom event). Otherwise, your best bet is Vincent, as long as you can deal with his relative frailty.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Schwartzcough posted:

By the way, his RM just makes your physical attack holy element, like giving you a 1x damage multiplier holy spellblade. If you want to change your attack into a holy-type spell, you need Selphie's RM2, which does actually change attack to Dia spell that runs off the MND stat.

Are there any RMs that directly affect physical Soul Break damage? I was very disappointed when fighting Belias that Locke's Valiant Strike wasn't affected by Light's Wrath. Does Pride of the Red Wings affect SBs?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Tae posted:

I guess it's basically a race to kill the black mage in the 1st wave, a race to kill the time/white mage in time, and then I didn't know there was a third wave and I was out of resources by then.

What did you bring for a Roaming Warrior? If you bring a high-powered AoE Soul Break as your RW (anything that says "to all enemies" from a 65+ character), you should be able to instantly kill at least one wave with it.

Niton fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 10, 2016

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Kuja banner 2 is ridiculous and well worth saving for btw

Beatrix SSB: 8x hit single target, 7.6 multiplier, party magic blink
Garnet SSB: Party hastega, hi regen, res up
Kuja SB: 4-hit aoe dark damage, gain endark

(Other featured items are Exploda, Golem's Flute, a non-SB staff, and Gauntlets)

e: Beatrix probably has my favourite SSB animation so far :swoon:

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 10, 2016

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
You guys have 6 days to grab Agrias. For now just keep plowing through the exp dungeon, then tomorrow start plowing through the story dungeons grabbing stamina shards, orbs and mithril. What attacking abilities you probably want to create and hone are power, magic and armor break. Start building up your RW collection trying to only follow stuff like Sentinels Grimoire, Stoneskin, anything thst grants haste or major regen, and a few multi hit AoE attacks. Sentinels and Stoneskin cut damage you take in half, they are fantastic. They also stack with protect and shell.

Mitigation is everything in this game so those breaks will be key. You should have enough mithril by the end of the week to do some more pulls. Remember to upgrade your equipment, combine any duplicates, and that there is an upgrade materials daily to help yoy do that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KataraniSword posted:

If you can't get her, don't be too upset; Beatrix, Paladin Cecil and Steiner can do most of what she can do (Beatrix and Pal!Cecil lack Spellblades, Steiner's missing white magic) so there's options in the Hall of Rites even if it'll be a while before she shows up there.

On this topic, Steiner's also available in classic dungeons, albeit a fair way into them. Cecil and Beatrix are event-only, though the latter at least will be available in an event in about a month; otherwise, you can only get them from the HoR, though.

How they compare, Agrias definitely has the most versatile skillset, what with Spellblade 4, White 4, Knight 5, and Combat 5. She and Beatrix are tied for the most attack, and while Beatrix's other stats are all superior (sometimes by a considerable margin), that doesn't really matter as much as the Spellblade access. The others also have comparable or better stats than her, but, again, Spellblade access over Cecil and White access over Steiner are pretty big; Steiner has nothing on her in terms of abilities, Cecil's Support 3 is useless, and Beatrix's White 5 compared to the 4 the other two paladins have doesn't matter at all beyond her getting synergy in White Magic Nightmare dungeons (which you probably won't want to bring her into anyway, though it'd be interesting I suppose; she could try to tank things there I guess?). If they ever make a worthwhile 5 or 6* White Magic ability then that could give Beatrix an interesting niche, but until then, she may as well have White 4 like the others because you're never going to use the White 5/6 stuff on anyone, ever, probably.

In terms of SBs... They're all pretty good, really, and if you get one of their B/S/SBs then you'll probably want to use them over the other options generally. Steiner's a bit behind here unfortunately, but he'll catch up eventually, and Beatrix's SSB (coming soon) is great for Lifesiphon+Shout strategies not only for the damage, but because it gives the party Magic Blink, making the next magic attack to hit a character with it miss, potentially wasting a lot of boss turns and/or dodging really nasty hits. Cecil's BSSB (also coming soon, though not as soon), meanwhile, basically makes him the best Saint Cross spammer due to the En-Holy effect it has, plus the holy-boosting effect on the sword itself. Agrias's SBs, meanwhile, well, people have been ranting about them for pages so you probably know them already, but they're both good too.

Really, almost any character with Knight 5 is good, because it tends to be paired with other good abilities on characters with really good stats, but the paladins are all particularly good and Steiner's pretty great as well. Agrias can just do the usual paladin thing while also being a spellblade, which is really good, but you can get that stuff in two or more characters if you want (and a lot of really big fights lack elemental weaknesses anyway, such as everything in this very event except the demons, which were weak to a thing all of these characters can hit) so she's not necessary by any means. Don't worry about not being able to get her, and if you like one of the other characters better go ahead and use them over her because this game is about using all your favorite characters and doing cool things with them. Also, given the Shout meta, you could even use multiple ones at once; they are all very good characters really.

Beasteh posted:

(Other featured items are Exploda, Golem's Flute, a non-SB staff, and Gauntlets)

I love Seiken Shock's animation so much. It's pretty awesome overall, but for some reason her plummeting down on the enemy at the end and them exploding cracks me up.

Beatrix may somewhat lack a niche compared to the other holy knights (at least if you don't get her SSB, which is allegedly one of the best for the Shout meta), but her SBs are all very stylish. And yes, Kuja 2 is a really good banner; I heard that Kuja's glove also raises dark damage the way Ebon Armor does, so for magic-based Darkness users who can't wear heavy armor (which I believe is most of them) it's probably the best armor even if you're not using Kuja himself. Though I heard this secondhand so it could be wrong and they got confused with regards to the SB itself granting En-Dark, so, if someone knows for sure please chime in. I was misled here, so sadly the glove is only good for Kuja specifically. Still a very good item though and makes him one of if not the best Darkness casters if you get it.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 11, 2016

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Beasteh posted:

With any luck, team will be something stupid like:
Agrias (Hallowed Bolt)
Beatrix (SSB)
Basch (Apocalypse Shield)
Ramza (Tailwind)
[healer or whatever]

Knight supremacy! But who am I kidding, I'll never get Beatrix or Basch's cool stuff.

GamingHyena posted:

Are there any RMs that directly affect physical Soul Break damage? I was very disappointed when fighting Belias that Locke's Valiant Strike wasn't affected by Light's Wrath. Does Pride of the Red Wings affect SBs?

Anything that boosts ATK (like Dragoon's Determination, Self Sacrifice, or Rebel Might) will increase damage from ALL attacks that factor in the ATK stat. That's why they're so good. Similarly, any that do something like "Increased Damage when [weapon type] is equipped" like Pride of the Red Wings, will likewise increase all damage from physical attacks. Stay away from RMs that say "Changes attack into X", because those only affect the actual "attack" command. Even retaliate hits are not affected.

Edit:

Roland Jones posted:

I heard that Kuja's glove also raises dark damage the way Ebon Armor does, so for magic-based Darkness users who can't wear heavy armor (which I believe is most of them) it's probably the best armor even if you're not using Kuja himself. Though I heard this secondhand so it could be wrong and they got confused with regards to the SB itself granting En-Dark, so, if someone knows for sure please chime in.

It's the latter, unfortunately. The SB gives Kuja endark, but the bracer itself does not boost any elements.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 11, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schwartzcough posted:

With any luck, team will be something stupid like:
Agrias (Hallowed Bolt)
Beatrix (SSB)
Basch (Apocalypse Shield)
Ramza (Tailwind)
[healer or whatever]

Knight supremacy! But who am I kidding, I'll never get Beatrix or Basch's cool stuff.

Hey, have faith; you might get lucky here. And/or do what I'm doing and stockpile most of your mithril for Kuja 2 specifically.

quote:

It's the latter, unfortunately. The SB gives Kuja endark, but the bracer itself does not boost any elements.

Alright. Well, yeah, then, that basically just makes Kuja really awesome rather than anyone. Ah well. Still great if you get it, because, you know, En-Dark on a strong Darkness caster.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Niton posted:

What did you bring for a Roaming Warrior? If you bring a high-powered AoE Soul Break (anything that says "to all enemies") you should be able to instantly kill at least one wave with it.

A little late responding to this, but Fenrir Overdrive might be the best option as an RW, as Cloud's Burst Soul Break can change your Attack command to an AoE Attack and Defend command to a strong single target attack. It's random targeting so it's a little RNG to take out a whole wave of enemies, but you should be able to handle whatever remains and the Burst effect will persist between rounds.

It'll take in your stats for the modified commands, so make sure to use it with a Physical character.

Another good option is Yuna's SSB, Dragon's Roar, since it'll take out a wave but also boost your party's Resistance to help deal with the Black Mage by yourself.

You do have quite a bit of time before the event ends, so don't worry too much about getting to it today.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Erdricks posted:

Is there any reward for completing dailies after the first time/mastery?
Sundays give Growth Eggs as a repeatable reward so if you can beat all three stages on + difficulty, do it. Other days just give gil so that usually doesn't matter much.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

All classic dungeons down, yay! Pretty sad since I started playing in july, but I just didn't prioritize them over dailies for a long while. Now time to continue on with the elites, which I have a small chunk of done already.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
In terms of Knights, we're also getting Basch in three weeks - he ties with Beatrix/Agrias for highest ATK, and in addition to Knight 5/Combat 5, he also gets Samurai 4. He doesn't have Spellblades or White Magic like Agrias, but is notable for getting access to just about every useful front-row weapon type other than unique stuff like Hairpins.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Start building up your RW collection trying to only follow stuff like Sentinels Grimoire, Stoneskin, anything thst grants haste or major regen, and a few multi hit AoE attacks. Sentinels and Stoneskin cut damage you take in half, they are fantastic. They also stack with protect and shell.

Mitigation is everything in this game so those breaks will be key.

Thank you for this, I saw a RW that had Mighty Guard and took it into the level 30 XP dungeon and I was actually able to beat it! Granted I didn't master it because I still had at least two party member KO'd at the end of each area but Protect/Haste/Regen seriously made a lot of difference.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, I just want Agrias because she's Agrias. I have no idea on what the stats mean at this early stage other than what optimize gives me.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I feel like I want +holy equipment even though I am pretty committed to the mage strategy. Getting Celes' Excalibur and Basch's shield would be fun, but probably wholly unnecessary.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tae posted:

I mean, I just want Agrias because she's Agrias. I have no idea on what the stats mean at this early stage other than what optimize gives me.

In that case, get Agrias and use her. I mean, that's what I did with Beatrix; while I wrote all that stuff up there that concludes that (despite probably having the best all-around stats of the bunch) she's arguably the worst of the trio of paladins without her SSB (though, without relics she and Cecil are comparable as offense versus defense-oriented, with only Agrias's Spellblade access really putting her ahead), but she's still the one I'm always going to use; even if I get good stuff for the others, they'll be used in addition to her, not instead of her. You can get away with that with most characters, and people even take on ultimates with the (very lackluster, to the point that even the tanky core characters have less HP per level than Vivi) "core" characters, so while some are arguably or occasionally objectively better than others you can almost always work with what you like over what's optimal.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 11, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Roland Jones posted:

Really, almost any character with Knight 5 is good, because it tends to be paired with other good abilities on characters with really good stats, but the paladins are all particularly good and Steiner's pretty great as well. Agrias can just do the usual paladin thing while also being a spellblade, which is really good, but you can get that stuff in two or more characters if you want (and a lot of really big fights lack elemental weaknesses anyway, such as everything in this very event except the demons, which were weak to a thing all of these characters can hit) so she's not necessary by any means. Don't worry about not being able to get her, and if you like one of the other characters better go ahead and use them over her because this game is about using all your favorite characters and doing cool things with them. Also, given the Shout meta, you could even use multiple ones at once; they are all very good characters really.

Case in point: Scream is amazing. But Scream is also "only" a strong Boostga stapled to Hastega. You aren't going to stop being able to clear ultimates because you don't have it natively or as a RW - a 30/35% Boostga from a character you like is certainly good enough for a physical team, and you can RW Hand of the Emperor (or Mighty Guard / Divine Guardian, if you don't have a Hastega) and still wind up clearing content easily.

There's plenty of interesting things that you can do with a RW, especially with native Wall, so don't feel like you have to go along with The Meta just for its sake.

Niton fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 11, 2016

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

iPodschun posted:

Sundays give Growth Eggs as a repeatable reward so if you can beat all three stages on + difficulty, do it. Other days just give gil so that usually doesn't matter much.

This changes with the revamp in a couple days. Orb dailies will reward a few 3* orbs on completion

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
yeah use your favorites. There will always be characters better than others, thats just the sad state of affairs. But everyone has their uses and usability.

Everyone is useable, even Khimari eventually.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Shoenin posted:

yeah use your favorites. There will always be characters better than others, thats just the sad state of affairs. But everyone has their uses and usability.

except when you whale hardcore trying to get your favorites SB's and you don't get it :( oh well, i got every other item on that banner so now im using other characters. RIP Greg and Butz.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Starting to lose interest in Record Keeper. I just want to get Agrias from the FFT event before it goes away, but the mages nearly wipe the party with one fira attack. At the same time doing the regular missions is just staring at Auto Battle until the boss appears that I just get bored before I even run out of stamina.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Shoenin posted:

Hopefully your favorite character is not Gau though.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Lechtansi posted:

except when you whale hardcore trying to get your favorites SB's and you don't get it :( oh well, i got every other item on that banner so now im using other characters. RIP Greg and Butz.

The Needle Fork is never coming back. I need to save for the Garnet/Zidane BSB event because Quina will get an HotE and I need it. Like, I love the entire 9 cast but I really want something for Quina.

I couldn't justify keeping Quina when I got SBs for Ramza and Fran. :(

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Jesus, running some of the easy elites that I can just auto attack through and the reward on some is 3 stamina shards, I should have done this poo poo ages ago

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

pichupal posted:

The Needle Fork is never coming back. I need to save for the Garnet/Zidane BSB event because Quina will get an HotE and I need it. Like, I love the entire 9 cast but I really want something for Quina.

I couldn't justify keeping Quina when I got SBs for Ramza and Fran. :(

The thing that's a bitch about that is that Quina is the only breaker from 9, if you actually want someone with realm synergy for that role.

Combo posted:

Jesus, running some of the easy elites that I can just auto attack through and the reward on some is 3 stamina shards, I should have done this poo poo ages ago

Get Selphie and Vivi's MC2 record materias. You'll be able to auto you way through everything sub-99. :getin:

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Rirse posted:

Starting to lose interest in Record Keeper. I just want to get Agrias from the FFT event before it goes away, but the mages nearly wipe the party with one fira attack. At the same time doing the regular missions is just staring at Auto Battle until the boss appears that I just get bored before I even run out of stamina.

Remember if you hit the pause button you can set the speed - this is pretty huge for getting through early game trash without completely numbing your brain in my opinion and I didn't discover it for quite awhile. And useful for slowing things down on more difficult bosses as well.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Varance posted:

The thing that's a bitch about that is that Quina is the only breaker from 9, if you actually want someone with realm synergy for that role.

If you can live without Full Break, Freya can use Breakdowns. The Partisan also gives her her own version of the combined Breakdowns that many Supports have as a SB, and appears in Kuja 2 (the good one). The only thing Quina has over her is Full Break and some rudimentary skill with magic.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Varance posted:

Get Selphie and Vivi's MC2 record materias. You'll be able to auto you way through everything sub-99. :getin:

I have Selphie's MC2 but she's somewhere in the 50s and I skipped Vivi's in favor of Locke/Bartz/Greg/Vanille and then used the one from X-2 on Auron, so his will probably be waiting a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I saved the Lode from X-2. I'll probably buy just one Lode from the Greens and use them both on Gilgamesh and Aerith. Auron can wait. So can Hope, Vanille, and Tifa.

• Locked thread