Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

TheDarkFlame posted:

The game loves hiding figures and features in the environment. The first video-room bunker you find has this lovely little cloud-tree outside the window:

Check the bushes near the desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think my favorite perspective vignette is by the paint swamp boat dock, where you can line the girl on the cage reaching down with the mountain woman reaching up.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

TheDarkFlame posted:

If you're not yet seeing it, here.

Is it just me or does she have laser wings?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Part 19 is up now! And yeah, I really like the hidden praying woman. I actually caught myself smiling a huge smile when I first saw a picture of that.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
You know what? It is amazingly easy to solve the puzzles faster than you do when I pause the video :v:

Major_JF fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 13, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

So I'm guessing you guys forgot/didn't realize the triangle can cancel out those little black dots, too? I can't say I know the exact solution, but I think that's the trick.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Edit: Wait no, nevermind. Overloooked something

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Discendo Vox posted:

Check the bushes near the desert.

You mean the kinda empty space between the ruins and the quarry? I didn't find any clouds that properly fitted the barren trees there, but I did find this cute stick insect bush.

I hope you guys don't mind me posting these things, but I think details like this are really cool, even if they're just innocuous background things rather than actual brainpower-related puzzle stuff. I'm glad you guys are LPing this game because it's the sort of game that I get frustrated with easily, and I'd given up on actually finishing it for a while before I tried to catch up with this thread. Then there's neat visual stuff like this which makes me go back into the game and explore more, to see what else I can find, and while I'm there I pick up another few panels here and there, maybe accidentally find something that makes me realise I'm not as close to finished as I thought.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The insect bush was what I was referring to.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

So I'm guessing you guys forgot/didn't realize the triangle can cancel out those little black dots, too? I can't say I know the exact solution, but I think that's the trick.

Okay, so now I have figured out the exact solution. Click for puzzle spoilers. I used your video for the screenshot, so it's valid by your system.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Okay, so now I have figured out the exact solution. Click for puzzle spoilers. I used your video for the screenshot, so it's valid by your system.

We actually thought of that after we stopped playing, yeah. We're going to look at it again, but we'll keep in mind that you have a screenshot. :-D

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's actually pretty neat how they gated the mistake-eraser puzzles - you have to unlock those areas by using the mechanics you're asked to spot mistakes with.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

I bet if you moved that ramp over a little you'd be able to do the puzzle in the lightbeam.
And maybe you could do the other one without your shadow in the way by standing outside the window the crane moves through? I think I remember you being able to get there when you doing some branch shadow puzzles earlier.

I hadn't thought of what would happen if a negation symbol were coloured before now: it was neat to see that it negates it's own effect on the puzzle when satisfied, as well as the effect of whatever it's negating.

FishOnAPiano fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 14, 2016

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Moving the ramp registers as one puzzle no matter how many positions you move it to. I made sure to experiment with that when I played to reduce tedious puzzle checking later.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, so, it's time for part 20! A note about this episode: Our mic malfunctioned during recording, and we lost the audio. We did a post commentary for this episode, and we figured out the mic stuff, so we'll be good next time. I think it turned out pretty well, and I hope you all still find this episode enjoyable!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You're very close to finishing the treetop starburst area. It was the final area I finished and it took me a while to see what I had to do. You're almost there!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

FPzero posted:

You're very close to finishing the treetop starburst area. It was the final area I finished and it took me a while to see what I had to do. You're almost there!

I've actually really liked the treetop area. I feel like I actually know what I'm doing there.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I did enjoy that. The change of commentary style gave you a chance to distance yourself from the gameplay, so you could do a deeper analysis.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Air is lava! posted:

I did enjoy that. The change of commentary style gave you a chance to distance yourself from the gameplay, so you could do a deeper analysis.

Yeah, I quite liked it. It was different than the usual stream of consciousness and puzzle frustration.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That directional bridge puzzle would have frustrated the hell out of me.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's interesting how the pacing changes up. There are a couple of places where you've had to solve some neat final puzzle to activate the laser, but the mistake one seems kind of perfunctory -- though I suppose those two branches would work as final puzzles in their own right.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
It's time for part 21, now with more of us actually not messing the audio up!

I'm glad so many people actually enjoyed the voice over last time. Maybe we should do that once per series; would that be a good idea?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

pedrovay2003 posted:

It's time for part 21, now with more of us actually not messing the audio up!

I'm glad so many people actually enjoyed the voice over last time. Maybe we should do that once per series; would that be a good idea?

You were...uh....REALLY close to solving that green bridge one at the beginning. Another couple of attempts along those lines and you would've had it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That castle-top puzzle, I think you pretty much have to ignore the mazes and just solve based on the puzzle cues. It doesn't give you the walkways between mazes like you got in the one that turned on the laser.

whitehelm posted:

You were...uh....REALLY close to solving that green bridge one at the beginning. Another couple of attempts along those lines and you would've had it.

I don't know how much sense this makes, but I find that a lot of times you get tripped up by, uh, "negative space"? Like, you can trace out a shape, or you can start on a border and trace out everything but the shape?

Glazius fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 20, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You might need to solve that second puzzle to unlock the ability to do the environment puzzles.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 20, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Pete posted:

I wish there were sprint boots.

There is a sprint button. I thought you don't use it intentionally for some reason.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Now that you've learned all the symbols, I want to point out a fundamental mechanic when it comes to having multiple puzzle types on one board because it's the sort of thing you've figured out before but keep confusing yourselves on every once in a while. I'll spoiler it I guess but considering you're getting close to the end of the game it's the sort of thing you should be fully aware of by this point.

The different symbols all work independently of one another. That means that you could have a Colored Square, a Tetris shape and one of those Triangles all on the same board and you have to figure out a way to solve the puzzle while satisfying all their conditions. Very rarely, usually when color is involved, do the symbols ever interact with each other. In the last video while making shapes on the green bridge you were wondering if the star counted as an additional tile that needed to be added to the existing Tetris shapes you had on the board. Eventually you figured out you didn't but it took a lot of time to get there and this sort of complex, multiple-rule puzzle isn't going away any time soon.

From what I can tell, the Starburst rule is simply that it needs 2 of any color symbol to be grouped with it. Usually this is handled by other Starbursts but the one on the green bridge you got stuck on suggests that the puzzle will be happy if you include the purple tetris piece with exactly 1 of the purple stars somewhere in its solution. I'd call this a bit of a rules mutation since up to that point the starbursts are typically paired with other starbursts but using a bit of logic we can come to this conclusion that they just want two of the same color in their box and don't necessarily care what type of symbol they are. On the flip side of that situation, the purple tetris piece on the puzzle isn't looking for that starburst in particular in order to be happy. That's your hint that puzzle rules aren't necessarily a two way street. Just because the starburst needs that purple piece to be content doesn't mean the purple piece needs to be paired to the starburst to satisfying the rules condition tetris shapes are looking for. Obviously, in the end they must be combined together to make the whole puzzle happy.

The big takeaway from this whole spoiler is that you need to keep individual rules in mind as you play. The rules for each symbol are set and don't necessarily change based on what other symbols exist on the board. All you have to do is make sure you understand the full extent of each rule and find a solution that satisfies every condition the puzzle symbols are looking for.

I found a Witness Puzzle Generator that allows you to build and submit your own puzzles, so I took the time to make a puzzle that fits what I've said above. Pete, Amy, you should see if you can solve this one because I think it illustrates the concepts I mentioned above pretty well and might help you come to some realizations as you play:

Click the image to go to the website, where you can actually solve the puzzle with an interactive line. It'll also tell you if your solution is correct and fulfills all the rules.

(Also this site is really cool and there are a lot more sadistic puzzle-makers than I or Jon Blow!)

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

whitehelm posted:

If there were an Achievement for getting really close to solving a puzzle but then stopping, I think we would have actually broken the game by now.

Air is lava! posted:

There is a sprint button. I thought you don't use it intentionally for some reason.

I use the run button all the time, actually. I'm talking about an SNES Zelda Pegasus Boots button that would be nice. :-P

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

FPzero posted:

(Also this site is really cool and there are a lot more sadistic puzzle-makers than I or Jon Blow!)

Holy crap, that's awesome! I'll definitely take a look at the one that you posted. I love stuff like this.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post; this was supposed to just be added to the last comment.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
By the way you can check out whats happening at the top of the mountain if you want....even if you manage to accidentally finish the game you can load your game to undo that.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

whitehelm posted:

By the way you can check out whats happening at the top of the mountain if you want....even if you manage to accidentally finish the game you can load your game to undo that.
Yeah, I think you have a handle on every mechanic you actually need to tackle the endgame puzzles. Although naturally the puzzles in there are tough, so it's your call. You can always take a look and back out.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Paul.Power posted:

Yeah, I think you have a handle on every mechanic you actually need to tackle the endgame puzzles. Although naturally the puzzles in there are tough, so it's your call. You can always take a look and back out.

That's not what I meant. In the video they discussed going back to the top of the mountain but decided that they wanted to see what the other lasers do before ending the game. I was trying to indicate that it was safe for them to go up there without spoiling the fact that it wouldn't immediately end the game but oh well.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, it's time for part 22! We're terrible again, yay!

Also, I'd like to give a personal apology to IronSaber. We took your hint, put it in a blender, spit in the container, and then poured it down the drain. We're horrible at this, and you can feel free to just outright tell us what you meant, because again, we're horrible at this.

On the plus side, though, user-made challenge completed!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
You don't know about that one rotating thingy right now, but you should still go stand up there and look around, especially down!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
If it makes you feel better in any way, I have no clue what they were talking about either.

On that door you are unable to get the blue squares in the same position as any of the actual shapes. So what you need to do is erase the complete T block. So you only need to decide how to draw the I. But since you can't put it on a wall, without making the dots inaccessible, your choices are, to put it into the corner or lay it sideways. Then you only need to figure out how to squiggle around to collect all the dots, while keeping the blue stuff in the same section as the T.

Also that colored door with the yellow 3 blocks. I saw a solution while you were doing it.
Hint: The section of the yellow things contains the two rightmost stars.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 23, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

How to unlock the monastary further:
--Go to the tree in the back. The one with a puzzle on its pot, not the big one in the middle.
--Solve it in any other way.
You guys managed to stumble onto the one solution that doesn't change anything. Since you're running low on new places to explore and have walked up to it three times without poking further, I think this hint is warranted.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
On one hand, I feel bad for derailing an entire 10 minutes of video getting you guys to follow my vague hints.

On the other hand, :bang:

Alright, let's just make this easy and let me point you to where you need to stand and look around:

IronSaber's Environmental Puzzle Hints!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The thing about the black dot fiesta double I puzzle is that you have to figure out a way for them to touch and also touch the edges.

Outright solution

And the thing about the L fiesta with the purple stars is that you have to map out where you can fit them that lets them eat two purples and leaves enough room to divide the remaining four.

Outright solution

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
If we're posting our solutions, the solution for the "L fiesta" puzzle that I came up while watching used the middle two purple stars, rather than the side ones that Bobbin Threadbare and Air is lava! used. I'd figured when I was working that trapping the middle ones in blocks automatically cut the side ones out correctly, so I focused on that and worked out how to fit in the remaining L's while including all the yellow symbols.
Solution image
It sounded like Pete'd forgotten how to work those two puzzle elements together there, which probably made it a lot harder.

Oh god, the puzzles with black dots EVERYWHERE seem like a tremendous pain. I'm kinda just boggling at the seaside door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

FishOnAPiano posted:

I'm kinda just boggling at the seaside door.

Air is lava! posted:

On that door you are unable to get the blue squares in the same position as any of the actual shapes. So what you need to do is erase the complete T block. So you only need to decide how to draw the I. But since you can't put it on a wall, without making the dots inaccessible, your choices are, to put it into the corner or lay it sideways. Then you only need to figure out how to squiggle around to collect all the dots, while keeping the blue stuff in the same section as the T.
Once you realize that, it's not that hard, but kinda tedious, especially if you do it live and can't write stuff down.

Here's an explicit solution I found, to save you the time.
Disregard the second blue square in the lower right. That was my mistake.

• Locked thread