Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Out of curiosity I tried out Freya today because I've never seen anyone play her. I don't think I can get my head around her. She's a mage carry who only gets ranged attacks half the time and no real good means of closing distance on the other half. Her mobility really leaves something to be desired for someone who needs to really get in your face to do damage in anything more than 5 second bursts. Her 1 or her 3 really need some sort of dash/leap attached to them to allow her to get in on people to cut them up. Is there something I'm missing about her or is she just bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

Out of curiosity I tried out Freya today because I've never seen anyone play her. I don't think I can get my head around her. She's a mage carry who only gets ranged attacks half the time and no real good means of closing distance on the other half. Her mobility really leaves something to be desired for someone who needs to really get in your face to do damage in anything more than 5 second bursts. Her 1 or her 3 really need some sort of dash/leap attached to them to allow her to get in on people to cut them up. Is there something I'm missing about her or is she just bad?

She's actually pretty good, but she's very unique in how she plays and how you have to build her in order to be successful. Because her 1 and 2 are set durations, she benefits greatly from attack speed so that she can squeeze more attacks in during those windows. Fatalis is core and should be built asap; you can use the splash from her 2 alone to ensure it procs, then activate your 1 to chase someone down or box--she's a great boxer as long as she's not behind. Telkhines and Demonic Grip are great on her, as well as Polynomicon. She has built-in lifesteal from her passive so it's often better to stand and fight than run away since her ult is her only form of escape. Always assume the enemy knows when your 1 and 2 are on cooldown and play safely because she's pretty much defenseless without them, as you noted. She's one of the least safe gods in the game so it takes some practice to know when you should go in versus playing back, but if she gets ahead she can mow other gods down really fast.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Late game she's seriously effective in teamfights, that AOE bomb is crazy good.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Her 2-1 combo is more paintastic late game than Chronos, even

I never melee with her, always use her 2. I'm no expert Freya tho

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

RGCrab posted:

Removing the bonus on her reflection would take her from "bad" early clear to "unplayable" early clear, and would leave her a serious bottom tier choice even in casual conquest.

There you go, every one of your complaints is completely out of sync with reality there, and that is just your first one. Try to spend some time on Earth with the rest of us occasionally.

Every one of my complaints? You only pointed out my Amaterasu complaint...

"unplayable" - there's the overreaction word.

Tyr and Ravana ult cooldowns start at 90, they aren't 75/70 flat the whole game.

Sorry I think your Japanese Anime Waifu Princess is over-tuned and bloated.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

wait, i didn't watch the stream, but by full rework do you mean their entire kit is getting changed? i've never played them before, was their skillset that weird/poo poo/whatever/etc.? either that or you mean they're getting sizable changes to each skill stats-wise, in which case ignore this.

I don't think they've actually said which one they're doing. Definitely the latter if not the former; Rat is considered the weakest god by everyone (except team eager). His kit isn't *that* weird but it's in a bad spot right now where he's not really good in any lane, or is just outclassed by other gods. He doesn't have any utility or CC, just a lot of mobility and damage that can be hard to confirm.

dogstile posted:

Late game she's seriously effective in teamfights, that AOE bomb is crazy good.

I'm so glad she's not in the meta right now. gently caress freya forever.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

RGCrab posted:

Building high defense and still destroying squishies is also the niche of warriors. Tyr does the same thing better, albeit with a higher execution threshold. Vamana, Osiris, and Chaac all tend to build only two damage items and the rest is tanky, and have better early clear than her. Don't even get started on Bellona and the poo poo she can do while built tanky.

This is not what warriors are supposed to do, per the warrior nerfs of 2014:

quote:

Warriors - Balance/Updates/Fixes
In this patch the Warrior class is being re-positioned. For those of you that were beta testers, you will recall Gods were tagged not classed. The “warrior tag” indicated a guardian nature with physical damage. With this change, Warriors are intended to be a “jack of all trade master of none” in lieu of “guardians that just do more damage”. The expectation is that Warriors will have to itemize to be tanks or deal damage. For example, greedy pen boots/midas + watchers will feel significantly less tanky in lane and single damage item builds (Heartseeker rush into protection stacking) will be less effective.

You can either be a secondary tank or build for damage and destroy squishies. Not both. The fact that Bellona can do both with ease shows how unbalanced she is. A great suggestion that Ezell came up with is to make Bellona's bludgeon bonus damage scale off physical power instead of flat 25% per god hit; because how it stands now she gets that bonus damage while building tanky. Having it scale off physical power means she can't deal the same kind of damage unless she actually builds damage items and sacrifices tank items.

And I think this concept should apply to Amaterasu's mirror. It might have made Shifter's Shield a viable option for warriors again (being one of the highest physical power items in the game, makes it a great warrior item if they had scaling balanced in their kits). But with the price decrease who knows - maybe hunters and some assassins (Thor) might start putting that into their core builds, and top tier warriors will continue to build tanky while dishing out good damage.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

So hey, buying items - it looks like I'm supposed to be buying stuff based on what's happening in the game at that moment, but I feel like I waste a lot of time standing around buying stuff in that case, so I pick out my entire build in advance based on cool poo poo I like doing. Do y'all just pre-select but not auto-buy a variety of items in the god builder then pick them out during the game?

The Ezell
May 11, 2003
I play football. No, not that football. The other kind.

Pimp Drakula posted:

So hey, buying items - it looks like I'm supposed to be buying stuff based on what's happening in the game at that moment, but I feel like I waste a lot of time standing around buying stuff in that case, so I pick out my entire build in advance based on cool poo poo I like doing. Do y'all just pre-select but not auto-buy a variety of items in the god builder then pick them out during the game?

It's just a matter of play time. Eventually you'll have it all memorized and you'll make the decision on what to buy before/as you're backing. Making a custom build is good, it can save time (all on one page) and you'll be building the same 4-5 items almost every game anyway, but don't ignore situational items just because it's time-consuming. They can, and will, win games for you.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Pimp Drakula posted:

Yeah it's not that big of a deal to take your time in the item shop unless you're sitting around for like a full minute or something. You're on the right track for sure, you'll gradually get a lot faster at buying items and won't have to worry about it. I typically just go with what's on the Recommended tab for each god anyway.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
90% of my games I just build how I want and fit an item in somewhere if one god is repeatedly pushing my poo poo in to counter said poo poo pushing.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Pimp Drakula posted:

For my most played gods I take some time to go into the God Builder and set that up. There are a total of 24 slots for items (protip: you can put any item anywhere regardless of whether the row is "Relic" or "Consumable" or whatever) which for most gods is more than enough to cover core items and any situational items I might want. Otherwise the recommended tab is usually good enough and I make sure to keep the really niche items items in mind for when the time comes, like Nemean, Shield of Regrowth, the anti-healing items, etc. It's easier for me to remember each item's general role rather than try to memorize individual stats but ymmv.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

cyclonic posted:

http://nemo.pythonanywhere.com/smite/ has some patch history on Smite but it hasn't been updated in a while. The warrior kits pre/post nerfs are in there though.

Wow my mistake - whoever was in charge of this site started updating it again. Skadi's on there already.

For laughs, release Guan:

quote:

Passive - Fortified Defense

Guan Yu gains +20 physical and magical protection when he is near friendly or enemy structures.
Tranquil Gift

Guan Yu's tranquil leadership is infectious and, when focused, heals himself and his allies for 50/85/120/155/190 (+50% of your magical power). Healing friendly gods reduces all cooldowns by 2s. Cost - 50/60/70/80/90 mana. Cooldown - 6s.
Warrior's Will

Guan Yu charges forward, his Green Dragon Crescent Blade extended in front of him. After passing through the area, enemies are damaged for 90/150/210/270/330 (+60% of your magical power) magical damage and slowed by 25% for 2s. Hitting enemy gods lowers all cooldowns by 2s. Cost - 50/60/70/80/90 mana. Cooldown - 6s.
Taolu Assault

Guan Yu spins his blade in a controlled but furious display, slicing enemies for 20/30/40/50/60 (+20% of your magical power) magical damage every .4s for 4s. Each hit debuffs the enemies protections by 10 while buffing Guan Yu the same amount, up to 30, for 3s. Guan Yu is immune to knockback for the duration. Cost - 60/65/70/75/80 mana. Cooldown - 13s.
Tactician's Advantage

Guan Yu attacks 3 times. Enemies hit take damage of 100/125/150/175/200 (+30% of your magical power) magical damage and are slowed by 25% for 2s. Enemies hit a 2nd time take damage +50% and are silenced for 2s. Enemies hit a 3rd time take damage +100% and are stunned for 2s. Guan Yu is immune to crowd control for the duration. Cost - 80/90/100/110/120 mana. Cooldown - 90s.

Those cooldowns :psyduck: and 200% scaling on Taolu :psyboom:

RGCrab
Aug 23, 2012

coca bojangles posted:

Every one of my complaints? You only pointed out my Amaterasu complaint...

"unplayable" - there's the overreaction word.

Tyr and Ravana ult cooldowns start at 90, they aren't 75/70 flat the whole game.

Sorry I think your Japanese Anime Waifu Princess is over-tuned and bloated.

Your reading comprehension needs some work. Your "counter" was already addressed in the sentence you are countering.

Unplayable isn't an overreaction word when it forces someone to spend 15 seconds auto attacking a wave at low attack speeds and in hand damage. This leaves her behind on farm, unable to rotate until high levels, and completely ineffective in team fights since she is behind the enemy solo by 3 or more levels.

This is an actual point, but isn't the one you were whining about. I wholly support changing Amaterasu's ult to start at 90 seconds and scale down.

Nice try at the insult buddy, but I also think she is over-tuned, you just are targeting the wrong parts of her kit for change.

Look at Cyclonic's version of the fix, it is a much better solution than just gutting something without considering the consequences.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

So this game is pretty awesome I've played a load of games in the Arena and decided to mix it up and move on to the lane maps and the clash map is really fun too with 2 lanes and a short jungle to swap over. I have been playing a lot of loki in the arena and it's so much easier to actually get kills on people in the other maps since it's not a 5v5 cc fest where you have to really choose your opening and I feel like I'm getting much better at it. Is he considered a bad hero because of the reliance on stealth? Seems like in a lot of games the stealth heroes are good when you first start but taper off against more skilled opponents. It doesn't seem like there is much counterplay to the invisible besides just not overextending and building a bit of defense (no one at all builds defence in my games so I've switched from building physical penetration to transcendence and a couple crit items with my Hydra's Lament, although with the focus on the combo it seems maybe crit isn't the way to go, any advice?).

Bulletfodder
Dec 4, 2009

flashman posted:

Is he considered a bad hero because of the reliance on stealth?

Not so much reliance on stealth as reliance on the enemy team being uncoordinated. Proper counterplay to Loki in the early game is invading/camping him to stifle his farm as much as possible and late game making sure to always keep tabs on where he is/can be as well as making sure you stick relatively close so he can't just delete your squishies without getting ganged up on.

Which means he'll always be good in pub games but poor in the pro scene so unless you plan on going pro in Smite, go ahead and main Loki if you like him.

flashman posted:

(no one at all builds defence in my games so I've switched from building physical penetration to transcendence and a couple crit items with my Hydra's Lament, although with the focus on the combo it seems maybe crit isn't the way to go, any advice?).

Every character gets physical defense scaling with levels so building pen is a good idea and you should go back to doing that. Plus, in conquest, sometimes your team will need you to splitpush because for whatever reason you can't win a teamfight and pen will make it so that you can actually do that. Also, yeah, the combo is the key to his damage so cooldown reduction/pen/power are the main focuses when building on Loki. You shouldn't be sticking around long enough to get many autoattacks off to benefit from building crit.

With max cooldown reduction the buff lifetime on your 3 is about as long as the cooldown so to maximize your burst you want to activate his 3 then wait a little while before engaging so that his 3 comes off cooldown shortly after you hit your target then activate your 3 and hit them again.

Bulletfodder fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 9, 2016

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Bulletfodder posted:

go ahead and main Loki if you like him

Please keep in mind that if you do this, everyone will hate you forever.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

RGCrab posted:

Unplayable isn't an overreaction word when it forces someone to spend 15 seconds auto attacking a wave at low attack speeds and in hand damage. This leaves her behind on farm, unable to rotate until high levels, and completely ineffective in team fights since she is behind the enemy solo by 3 or more levels.

You know for a fact that's how it plays out?

I think you have a wild imagination...

RGCrab
Aug 23, 2012

coca bojangles posted:

You know for a fact that's how it plays out?

I think you have a wild imagination...

It is simple math. If you strip the scaling out of it, she now deals 50 damage on a 14 second cooldown for 70 mana. Lets compare it to another god that has issues clearing, like Hercules, who has fallen out of the meta. Hercules does 85 damage on the same cooldown for 60 mana. Take it to five, you skip your heal so you can put three ranks into your clear and now you have boots finished. That is 154 damage, the Hercules gets the same out of just two ranks in his clear (More, since it does 191), which means he can pick up his sustain and free box you. Congratulations, your nerf is so severe that even a Hercules can out box you and out rotate you.

A melee minion has 370 health and 10% damage reduction. This means each melee minion requires her clear and 3 melee attacks at 1.05 attack speed to kill. Even with your minions helping, you'll use your clear and 6 auto attacks to clear a wave, so your wave clear is a minimum of 7 seconds.

Again, look at Cyclonic's solution. He suggests reducing the bonus damage and adding a scaling bonus, which would move warriors towards a more aggressive itemization scheme to maintain clear instead of building fully bulky. His solution has some thought behind it instead of coming off like a reddit wish list.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
I quite enjoyed when this particular MOBA thread was unlike the DOTA or LOL threads and I could think with a smug superiority "This is clearly the game of choice for non-goony-as-hell motherfuckers".

Thanks for crushing my dreams. Maybe we could talk about some other poo poo, like how some gods are cool and good and you don't always have to pick the most OP poo poo ever.

Personally I like Vamana, he was my first diamond and still my favorite god. He has a decent amount of utility for an older god and you can even get synergy if your jungle is awilix to do cool poo poo because of your knockup. He's hard to kill, has a good passive and even does well in 1v1 ranked if you ban out the best mages. Plus you can't beat that ult, although an unpopular opinion I don't really like the lil mana skin though, I use that weird pirate one.

Now you can talk about your favorite god and why, because that might be interesting to read as opposed to whatever happened to this thread ever since you started arguing about what makes athena good.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
But that would mean I have one favourite above all others :colbert: Closest is Artemis on that matter for her simple kit and Tusky Power Go :getin:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

drink_bleach posted:

Plus you can't beat that ult, although an unpopular opinion I don't really like the lil mana skin though, I use that weird pirate one.

I'm annoyed that the weird pirate skin doesn't count as a pirate skin for the "Collect five pirate skins" achievement.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

flashman posted:

Is he considered a bad hero because of the reliance on stealth? Seems like in a lot of games the stealth heroes are good when you first start but taper off against more skilled opponents. It doesn't seem like there is much counterplay to the invisible besides just not overextending and building a bit of defense (no one at all builds defence in my games so I've switched from building physical penetration to transcendence and a couple crit items with my Hydra's Lament, although with the focus on the combo it seems maybe crit isn't the way to go, any advice?).

Loki is, to put it bluntly (and punny), a cowardly backstabber. He does not trade/box people. He does not outplay people. He engages when someone is at a disadvantage, and usually a huge one (someone running away with a sliver of their health). He will engage when you're not aware, and as soon as you try to trade back, he's gone. He doesn't push a tower after winning a teamfight - he backdoors it and split pushes.

And this infuriates people. He doesn't even clear the wave in any kind of danger - compare to say Bakasura's clear who has to sit in a wave; Loki can potentially clear lane without even being seen. And he clears with an ability that's used for only clearing, so it doesn't matter if it's off cooldown (as opposed to say a mage using their AOE to clear, now they can't use their AOE immediately in a fight).

It's a wonderful kit for him, and he fills a niche role.

Transcendence is a core item for him, and he benefits from penetration and cooldown reduction. Crit could work but he doesn't really need it - you're looking to burst squishies down, not box someone and hope crits kick in like you would as a hunter.

My recommendation for core items are Transcendence, Warrior Tabi, Jotunn's Wrath and Stone Cutting Sword. After that, try to cap CDR (get Breastplate of Valor) and then might as well round off a little more defense with Bulwark. Otherwise Crusher (or Beatstick if there's a healer) and Titan's Bane are good items on him.

Crit is actually not that good on him because of his attack chain (he's got too many x0.5s in there). Hydra's Lament is an OK item for him, but I think penetration/CDR is better and Hydra's doesn't have either of those stats.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

cyclonic posted:

Crit is actually not that good on him because of his attack chain (he's got too many x0.5s in there). Hydra's Lament is an OK item for him, but I think penetration/CDR is better and Hydra's doesn't have either of those stats.

Hydra has 15% CDR

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Not to mention Hydra was recently buffed so it has no cooldown on procs.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm annoyed that the weird pirate skin doesn't count as a pirate skin for the "Collect five pirate skins" achievement.

That's cause it's not a pirate, it's a Cangaceiro, which is a Brazilian cowboy/bandit.

drink_bleach posted:

Now you can talk about your favorite god and why, because that might be interesting to read as opposed to whatever happened to this thread ever since you started arguing about what makes athena good.

My favorite god is Chronos, he's got a sexy voice. Also he's hella fun to play, got built in Fatalis, his Time Stop is amazing, he wrecks people in late game, and there's nothing more satisfying than getting off a Rewind with 3 hp left and zooming out back to safety.

My 2nd favorite is probably Ah Muzen Cab, I love his hive/bees/honey mechanic, great damage on his Swarm, also wrecks poo poo lategame, even though I usually can't land his ultimate to save my life but man it feels good when I do. Especially when you get jumped on by an assassin and you just turn around and kill them first. :allears:

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

drink_bleach posted:

I can't pick one favorite because I have 21 Diamonds and I love each one. Its easier for me to talk about the ones I hate, but I'll give it a shot.

Anhur is my favorite hunter because he requires mechanical skill to do well with, and you can seriously outplay people with his kit. He's who I play as when I play ranked 1v1's (though I have to ban AMC and Hou Yi).

He Bo is probably my favorite mage because he's sort of an assassin-mage, you have to understand positioning really well when you play him. Same for Anubis, who I'm currently working on getting to diamond.

Ne Zha is probably my favorite assassin because he has a lot of out-play potential, I've played him in the solo lane against Tyr's, Bellona's, and the rest of whatever the SPL decides is good, and won lane.

Tyr is probably my favorite warrior though I don't play him much anymore. He was my first diamond about two years ago, I'm just not that motivated to play him currently...

I don't really have a favorite guardian because I don't play them all that much anymore, I'm much better at carrying. I like to play Ymir, Sobek, and Bacchus though....

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Sylvanus is my only diamond and the first God I played. I love the old tree man who tells bad puns :3:

I love Ravana too, I got him to three before his rework! Punching people to death is just too much fun

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

drink_bleach posted:

:ok:

Nox is my favorite god because I feel like I do the most good for the team with her. Her silence circle can blow up all the minions and get me lots of sick cash money, I can use it for area denial to keep enemies off of a siege minion/juggernaut for a few seconds or let me and my cool buds escape, and if I plan and coordinate things right I can ruin an enemy god's combo by arranging for them to land in a Magic-Free Zone™ when I see their leap begin or pimp slap half a team at once by letting Ares land his ultimate in the circle.

Her escape game is ridic with the 5 second DOT root and shadow rocket, and it means that as often as not I can not only get away from an assassin that I made poor enough choices to attract the attention of, but keep them locked down long enough for my team's assassin(s) to execute them. Her root also lets me keep a worrisome god out of a group fight (preferably silenced and blown up), keep a mage or assassin locked in the circle until it goes off and do enough damage to cause them to retreat, or snare an enemy that's chasing down a low health teammate.

I'm not crazy about her ultimate but (and maybe this is a mistake) I just don't plan around it, it's more of a last resort than a core part of my tactics and I'll only deploy it when a god cheats death and starts getting away or an opportunity arises to hit several gods in a group and it would be a waste not to do something even if I don't put any of them in immediate mortal danger. Tagging an invisible low health Loki just before he makes it into his spawn is a rewarding moment, however.

More and more lately however I've been playing as Geb because his boulder knockback and shockwave abilities are hilarious to dump on unsuspecting enemy gods, and occasionally I'll get an opportunity to hurl a low health assassin or mage back into a fray of teammates. Now that I've been building my items more carefully per this thread's advice, being able to drop a slow (Gem of Isolation) or extra damage (Soul Reaver) whenever I jump into a melee and start knocking people around is having brutal results as well.

Pimp Drakula fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 9, 2016

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Nothing is more hilarious than getting top player damage as Geb

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

Kerrrrrrr posted:

My favorite god is Chronos, he's got a sexy voice. Also he's hella fun to play, got built in Fatalis, his Time Stop is amazing, he wrecks people in late game, and there's nothing more satisfying than getting off a Rewind with 3 hp left and zooming out back to safety.

My 2nd favorite is probably Ah Muzen Cab, I love his hive/bees/honey mechanic, great damage on his Swarm, also wrecks poo poo lategame, even though I usually can't land his ultimate to save my life but man it feels good when I do. Especially when you get jumped on by an assassin and you just turn around and kill them first. :allears:

I bought the father time skin for chronos just because I thought he threw out little babies like on the card, boy was I disappointed. While I know Chronos to be sick nasty good he's just never clicked with me, I never do well with him.

AMC on the other hand owns, and his recent buffs made him even better, especially for the joust map he's kinda insane because you can basically cover the entire map in hives. Also yeah that ult has like the narrowest shot ingame other than maybe Anubis' stun, but that just makes you feel like that much more of a baller when you hit it. (or when you just wait for athena to taunt and then use it)

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Anubis is my favorite god. I cant remember if him or Hebo was my first unlock. Artemis has to be my second favorite. Hunter would be my favorite class to play, and my favorite skin would be convention 2012? Artemis. I was happy as hell when I won her while watching the smite twitch back when they'd only get a few hundred viewers when showing off patch notes.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Farecoal posted:

Hydra has 15% CDR

My mistake, I thought it was CC reduction when I looked up the stats on Smite Wiki.

edit-

GuyUpNorth posted:

Not to mention Hydra was recently buffed so it has no cooldown on procs.

True but doesn't it proc off abilities? If you're vanished, activating Aimed Strike, then Assassinate someone, does Hydra's proc once or three times? I assume it only procs off once but I haven't bought it since the cooldown buff.

double edit-
http://oddshot.tv/shot/hireztv-2016040919465629 :haw:

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 9, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mercury always has been and always will be, my boy.

Go fast, win fast, live fast.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Nu Wa

she was my first favor unlock, I used to play smite high as a kite and the smallest details were really appreciated. I digged that she could float, had a really nice voice that kinda echoed when I was faded. "Another powerful artifact..to do good~" when I bought power items. I love her gem mechanic and juking with fog is always so satisfying when you can trick them, especially in chokeholds where you can run the opposite direction and they're still chasing the fog, thinking you're with it but you went 180 into the jungle.

I also like her shining metal, I've made some really solid kills through walls with it and I know her ult makes people upset especially if you're really good with Nu Wa and actually have global awareness, you change the outcomes of lanes, just like a guardian of heaven should.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Lastgirl posted:

Nu Wa

she was my first favor unlock, I used to play smite high as a kite and the smallest details were really appreciated. I digged that she could float, had a really nice voice that kinda echoed when I was faded. "Another powerful artifact..to do good~" when I bought power items. I love her gem mechanic and juking with fog is always so satisfying when you can trick them, especially in chokeholds where you can run the opposite direction and they're still chasing the fog, thinking you're with it but you went 180 into the jungle.

I also like her shining metal, I've made some really solid kills through walls with it and I know her ult makes people upset especially if you're really good with Nu Wa and actually have global awareness, you change the outcomes of lanes, just like a guardian of heaven should.

This person knows what's up. Nu Wa is still my favorite god in the game. Also a huge fan of Bellona, (Yes she's crazy strong, but her kit is just fun!) and Bacchus. The Elvis skin is never being swapped out. Ever.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I understand what they were trying to do (forcing you to pick to itemize for a specific type of stat you want) with the change to CDR on items, but I really feel like they hosed up the numbers with it.

Now there's no clean route to 40% CDR on an assassin or warrior you don't want BoV on, it's a bit weirder on guardians and they're fairly likely to go over the cap, and mages (the ones that I would have expected to be most impacted by CDR loving) are now just likely to stop at 30% instead of going to 40%.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

If you're gonna watch one game from SPL this split, watch today's ALG vs NV game 2. Holy hell.

https://www.twitch.tv/hireztv/v/59764910 Game starts at 2:29:00.

O C E A N S

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 10, 2016

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

I have two Paladins beta keys to give out. PM me if you want one.

edit: one left

tawal fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008

cyclonic posted:

I don't agree with this entirely. I don't like the idea that you can pick a top tier god and fit them into any comp and be fine.

Chronos is a hyper-carry, up there with some of the hardest hitting gods in the late game (there was a SPL game recently where Lassiz's Chronos one-shot an Isis for 3/4 of her health). There needs to be a phase where he is weak.

I like the concept that if a god is weak in a certain area, a team comp can be "built around them" - like how Ah Puch was played in this amazing game. Artemis/AMC are considered liabilities because the enemy team can camp them during their early game. But there are plenty of gods that can guard them (Khepri, Geb, Sylvanus; even junglers with CC in their kits like Hun Batz, Thor) but nobody plays this way. Instead they want a god that's strong throughout all phases and can hold their own. And since these strong gods exist, Artemis/AMC aren't picks. They want gods that are strong throughout all phases, and can fit into any comp.

But instead of buffing Artemis/AMC up to be on par with Chronos, everyone should be brought down to where Artemis/AMC/Ah Puch is and where Chronos was. Why is Bellona allowed to win lane against almost every match up, and still be a huge threat late game while building pure tank? Why is Sol able to clear easily, be one of the safest gods to play, shred towers almost faster than any other god, and dish out almost free poke (and prior to her Poly nerf she was able to completely poke people out of late game team fights) ? Why does Janus clear easily, have good cc, hits like a truck late game, and has unrivaled mobility (and therefore a safe pick)? Why does Ao Kuang have the potential to one-shot squishies, a no-skill ult (since it auto-locks on a target - compare this to Loki or Thanatos ult) that let's him teleport safely (AND now lifesteals so he can "get back in the fight"), AND get base defense stat buffs?

Compare Bellona building pure tank vs. Chaac building pure tank. Compare Ao Kuang to Thanatos. Compare Janus to Ra. There needs to be some kind of weakness to reign in these top pick gods because I think it would make for some very interesting comps and fights. I want to see more games like the Ah Puch game I posted, not the games I'm seeing now.

I mean, imagine a comp building around Artemis/AMC so that a late game team fights nets them a pentakill - a literal "guard the carry and let the carry carry" team fight. Or a team with flex picks (Athena, Chaac, Chronos, Kali, Ra) and the enemy team tries to counterpick and guesses wrong (Athena jungle, Kali ADC, Chaac solo, Chronos mid, Ra support that transitions into Chaac frontliner, Athena/Ra peeling for Kali/Chronos).

This is what has made the game less fun for me than it used to be. I think its cute in SPL games when the caster asks how some lane matchup goes because the real answer is usually "both gods have great clear and good survivability, and an excellent early/mid/late game". When you fill the game with gods that are just good at everything all the time it makes it less fun to play and less fun to watch. I was excited when they talked about retooling stuff so gods tended to shine more early or late but nothing came of it.

Also while Scylla and Apollo and whoever else got tickle buffed might see a resurgence into the meta its not actually because the changes are a big deal, Scylla and Apollo are already good gods that are completely viable even if they lose a little gold early game to a tower.

• Locked thread