Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Red Crown posted:

I honestly forgot those people existed until just now. Got any choice bits from the logs? Not all of us have resubbed.

He got baited into making a list of reasons why men have it so so bad and it's just the usual MRA talking points presented with no context or evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
this is after loving months of him being a whiny shitdick and presenting himself as an authority on how The Common Person Feels

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Morning guys how's it all going

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's kinda sunny here, so kinda ok

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's cold here. I also have a bad sleep schedule and it's annoying.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

If this sinus infection doesn't start to clear up in the next day or two I'm going to need to get some antibiotics, other than that I'm ok. How are you?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

My wife went out for a girls lunch, I've had to look after our 3 year old and 1 year old.

I'm looking forward to her coming home.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I too am home alone with a toddler. I have her some diaper free time and she promptly shat her pants. Now she's deep in some sort of imaginative naptime play with some dolls and a feel like cracking a beer.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

pugnax posted:

I too am home alone with a toddler. I have her some diaper free time and she promptly shat her pants. Now she's deep in some sort of imaginative naptime play with some dolls and a feel like cracking a beer.

Trust me it'll get better.

In that they'll be asleep soon.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Ain't doing poo poo sunday. We should get Video Games to post his newbie adventures here instead of in the bad thread.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bacontotem posted:

Ain't doing poo poo sunday. We should get Video Games to post his newbie adventures here instead of in the bad thread.

That will only attract the effort posters

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Khablam posted:

He got baited into making a list of reasons why men have it so so bad and it's just the usual MRA talking points presented with no context or evidence.

I'm glad we eradicated this dire strategic threat. Our war position is now improved because

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So a few noobie questions:

1. If I wanna do missions I must grind rep with a specific agent from 1-->2--->3 etc... to advance? Seems tedious.

2. Is exploration something I can begin immediately? I'm reading a few things and it seems it'll take a few million ISK investment and a lot of time training skills to be able to.

3. Is exploration still profitable? Is it still interesting/fun?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

guys help

i read the other thread and now i'm feeling very unchill :( please help me find my posting zen again

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phi230 posted:

1. If I wanna do missions I must grind rep with a specific agent from 1-->2--->3 etc... to advance? Seems tedious.

2. Is exploration something I can begin immediately? I'm reading a few things and it seems it'll take a few million ISK investment and a lot of time training skills to be able to.

Exploration is a lot of fun because you fly around in a cloaky ship and hack stuff and probe stuff down and in general you don't get owned nearly as hard as flying around doing missions.

Plus if you're in a wormhole exploring, you can always scan down a new exit and pop out in the other end of the universe. Just make sure that if you're in wh space, low sec, or null to scan for other people's probes trying to hunt you down.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Phi230 posted:

I haven't done missions in quite some time, but I think you can do missions from any agent, the level of agents available I believe is based on the standing of the faction, someone else might have more or better information though.

Exploration is something you can get into pretty quickly, if not right from the start, just takes a frigate with some probes and relic/hacking modules. It only really takes a lot of time to start if you're wanting to get into a T2 covert ops frigate before you start.

Exploration can still get you a decent amount of money, last time I did it a few months ago I kind of chilled out in some wormholes for a couple days and got ~400 million just by running the nullsec relic/data sites that spawn in wormholes. (The nullsec sites will have the names of factions on them, like Sanshas or Guristas)

As far as it being interesting or fun, it kind of depends. The hacking minigame isn't the worst thing ever, but I don't have any strong feelings or or against it. I think it's kind of fun, but I also like looking at stuff in space and taking pretty screenshots while I'm doing stuff.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Am I allowed to chill in a discord/mumble whatever without selling my soul/getting a background check to join goons?

And before I fit anything out I've only got 25 mill to my name so with that amount of money is it possible to get an explorer fit ready?

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 10, 2016

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

25 mil should be enough to fit a pretty cheap T1 scanning frigate with plenty to spare, only things that would potentially be expensive at that point if you're going to be using a T1 hull would be the Sister's probes (it's like 3 million or so for 8 probes) or a cloak if you decide to use one.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xenothral posted:

25 mil should be enough to fit a pretty cheap T1 scanning frigate with plenty to spare, only things that would potentially be expensive at that point if you're going to be using a T1 hull would be the Sister's probes (it's like 3 million or so for 8 probes) or a cloak if you decide to use one.

Do I need a sisters launcher to fire a sisters probe?

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

No, and you don't need to use Sisters probes/launchers to scan either, it just makes it easier

Edit: each race has a frigate that has a bonus to scanning (Magnate, Heron, Imicus, and Probe); there is also the Astero, which gets a great bonus but is pretty expensive for a new player.

Lack of Gravitas fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 10, 2016

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Phi230 posted:

Nope, they can be launched from any probe launcher, the sister's probes themselves aren't necessarily needed either, they just have slightly better scan strength than regular probes, so it's a little easier.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lack of Gravitas posted:

No, and you don't need to use Sisters probes/launchers to scan either, it just makes it easier

Well that's good. So I found a good price on combat probes. Will these work for exploration? Or do I want core probes?

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Phi230 posted:

Well that's good. So I found a good price on combat probes. Will these work for exploration? Or do I want core probes?

Combat probes can still scan sites down, but it's much easier and preferable to do exploration with core probes. Also combat probes can only be launched out of expanded probe launchers, which take a lot more fitting than regular core probe launchers.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Just core scanning probes and core probe laucher for exploration. The expanded launcher can fire off both core and combat probes, but you only need the combat probes to hunt down other players

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Final question. Besides the maneuverability/survivability stuff should I even bother outfitting my Heron with weapons for exploration? I assume the rats I will be encountering will be orders of magnitude more powerful than what I could handle.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Phi230 posted:

Final question. Besides the maneuverability/survivability stuff should I even bother outfitting my Heron with weapons for exploration? I assume the rats I will be encountering will be orders of magnitude more powerful than what I could handle.

I don't usually put weapons on my exploration ships, and unless you're going into wormhole exploration sites (Stuff designated by having Sleeper in the name somewhere usually) there aren't any rats in exploration sites.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Xenothral posted:

I don't usually put weapons on my exploration ships, and unless you're going into wormhole exploration sites (Stuff designated by having Sleeper in the name somewhere usually) there aren't any rats in exploration sites.

and even then I seem to remember finishing everything up and GTFO'ing before the rats were even in range to aggress me. Plus, if you use the expanded launcher, you're going to be short on cpu/pg to fit any sort of weapons

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Data and Relic sites don't have rats, so you don't need to bring a combat ship for them. You might want to bring a mobile depot in your cargo if you need to swap your fitting between which mid-slot module you need to do the hacking minigame once you've found a site, though.

Also, quoting my edit about the scanning frigates in case you missed it :)

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Edit: each race has a frigate that has a bonus to scanning (Magnate, Heron, Imicus, and Probe); there is also the Astero, which gets a great bonus but is pretty expensive for a new player.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
For exploration in a Heron, you want to be doing Data and Relic sites. You don't need guns to complete those - they contain a bunch of locked loot containers that you have to open by playing a hacking minigame. Leave Combat sites alone for now. You will also probably find some wormholes, which you can jump through to reach a star system in unknown space. These are more dangerous than high security space because players can freely attack you without much warning, but they have more lucrative Relic/Data sites than you will find in highsec. If you go looking for Relic/Data sites in wormholes, only go for the ones that have Guristas, Angel, Serpentis, Blood Raider, or Sansha in their names - you won't be able to handle the other ones in a Heron.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Data and Relic sites don't have rats, so you don't need to bring a combat ship for them. You might want to bring a mobile depot in your cargo if you need to swap your fitting between which mid-slot module you need to do the hacking minigame once you've found a site, though.

Also, quoting my edit about the scanning frigates in case you missed it :)

Oh poo poo, the Astero wasn't around when I last played. Any idea how much they run for? If they're around or slightly more expensive than a CovOps then I may snag one when I resub and doodle around w-space while fighting off sleepers with that massive drone bay space

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Tusen Takk posted:

Oh poo poo, the Astero wasn't around when I last played. Any idea how much they run for? If they're around or slightly more expensive than a CovOps then I may snag one when I resub and doodle around w-space while fighting off sleepers with that massive drone bay space
58m in Jita according to eve-central: https://eve-central.com/home/quicklook.html?typeid=33468

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Oh wow, I guess I'll stick with a Cheetah since I have CovOps V v:shobon:v

It's so pretty though :3:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Stratious gets the same scanning bonus as the Astero, if you want a cloaking drone U-Boat in cruiser size

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lack of Gravitas posted:

The Stratious gets the same scanning bonus as the Astero, if you want a cloaking drone U-Boat in cruiser size

That is also a gorgeous ship but I based on the Asteroid price, my guess this guy will set me back 100mil before rigs

Maybe when I'm space rich :allears:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
what's a really good t1 frigate for going into FW plexes?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Landsknecht posted:

The tristan is supposedly really good for that even post-nerf.

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine

Landsknecht posted:

Dramiel or Comet.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Landsknecht posted:

I still really like the Rifter even though everyone tells me it's bad. The Breacher is pretty good though.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Tusen Takk posted:

Oh wow, I guess I'll stick with a Cheetah since I have CovOps V v:shobon:v

It's so pretty though :3:

The best part about the astero is that it can kill any other exploration frigate with ease, so if somebody is in a site you can pop em and take their stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Kiryen posted:

I'm glad we eradicated this dire strategic threat. Our war position is now improved because

Posting > 'war effort'

Like who cares about war in a videogame more than making GBS threads on a MRA jeez.

In chill news I have found a nice bottle of Calvodos under my stairs.

• Locked thread